ADVERTISEMENT

Big G League announcement - $125k offer not to go to college

This will be a real problem for the Blue Bloods, especially Cal. He always recruits the best of the best. What do you do when many of the guys you've been recruiting hard decide to go to the G League. And they don't make the decision until late. And it's too late to go after replacement recruits. This will cause the top schools to be vary wary about recruiting any player ranked highly.

I’m looking forward to the kids who jump straight from high school into the G League getting absolutely eviscerated, and millions of people suddenly realize Cal was right all along. 1) These are kids. Super talented kids, but kids. 2) “One and done” was never the plague it was made out to be. Not that many players are truly NBA-ready in high school.

Yikes, when is that going into effect? Could see that taking lots of top prospects off the board.

Also think it’s odd how the NBA and college basketball don’t work together and are almost against each other.
They each have different profit goals, so why would they work with each other? If anything, both are trying to nab "market share" from each other, using the kids and schools as their pawns to reach their goals. It's all about the money and generating as much revenue/profit as is humanly possible.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
I still don't understand the motivation for these G League teams to sign and develop these "select players" if they are released to the NBA draft the following year. All it will do is take playing time away from the players you actually do control, and may one day help out your NBA team.

Adam Silver gets a lot of praise as the NBA Commisioner. Whether this is deserved or not, that’s a different story. With that said, he’s an absolute idiot when it comes to the G-League and college basketball.

I’ve researched his comments. He constantly cites Ben Simmons and his lack of classes as the end all be all to the one-and-done discussion. He firmly believes the G-League can essentially replace college basketball. He somehow doesn’t understand how that’d cut off a significant chunk of NBA fans, and discontinue the connection college fans and casual fans have with players. Not to mention the amount of free marketing that’d be lost.

No one is ever going to care about the G-League. No one wants to go watch a G-League game. It wouldn’t even be as popular as minor league baseball. He has a misguided view on the one and done system, and is instead creating a system that will screw the fans, AND many players.

Last edited:
Why would they do this? Just do away with age restriction.
NBA won't do this because they don't want their product watered down with 17/18 yr olds who aren't ready for the league. This gives them an opportunity to improve their game against legit competition while not being thrown to the wolves in the NBA right away. Will be interesting to see what prospects take the 125k, and what prospects choose to play the year in college, then jump to the NBA.

Adam Silver gets a lot of praise as the NBA Commisioner. Whether this is deserved or not, that’s a different story. With that said, he’s an absolute idiot when it comes to the G-League and college basketball.

I’ve researched his comments. He constantly cites Ben Simmons and his lack of classes as the end all be all to the one-and-done discussion. He firmly believes the G-League can essentially replace college basketball. He somehow doesn’t understand how that’d cut off a significant chunk of NBA fans, and discontinue the connection college fans and casual fans have with players. Not to mention the amount of free marketing that’d be lost.

No one is ever going to care about the G-League. No one wants to go watch a G-League game. It wouldn’t even be as popular as minor league baseball. He has a misguided view on the one and done system, and is instead creating a system that will screw the fans, AND many players.

All very good points. The college connection imbues so much of the league with fan loyalty and general interest that it’s stupid to undermine it.

This wont be viable after the first year. The G League has no attendance, no TV deal, that equals no revenue. They would just be hemorrhaging money.
$125k to some prospects means nothing to the NBA money wise. You do realize they just signed a TV deal worth 25 billion with TNT and ESPN! NBA can easily support the G League without any effect to it's money making abilities.

I think the G League makes sense for prospects that need money now. But for overall individual brand, enrolling in a blue blood college such as Kentucky or Duke etc is better long term simply because of the TV exposure and better facilities at these schools.

This wont be viable after the first year. The G League has no attendance, no TV deal, that equals no revenue. They would just be hemorrhaging money.

yeah...i have no idea how NBA teams would be able to adsorb the 2-3 million dollar cost per year. the league is on the brink of bankruptcy.

$125k to some prospects means nothing to the NBA money wise. You do realize they just signed a TV deal worth 25 billion with TNT and ESPN! NBA can easily support the G League without any effect to it's money making abilities.

I think the G League makes sense for prospects that need money now. But for overall individual brand, enrolling in a blue blood college such as Kentucky or Duke etc is better long term simply because of the TV exposure and better facilities at these schools.
So did the NFL and they canceled their NFL Europe partnership because it was costing too much money.

This will be a real problem for the Blue Bloods, especially Cal. He always recruits the best of the best. What do you do when many of the guys you've been recruiting hard decide to go to the G League. And they don't make the decision until late. And it's too late to go after replacement recruits. This will cause the top schools to be vary wary about recruiting any player ranked highly.

The top guys won’t be doing this as much as you think.

This is ultimately going to hurt the recruits (kids) and their families. What is the motivation to do well academically in high school now?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
yeah...i have no idea how NBA teams would be able to adsorb the 2-3 million dollar cost per year. the league is on the brink of bankruptcy.
Surely you're not that stupid. You got that I was saying that the NBA would go bankrupt out of that post? Just because they can doesn't mean they will want to continue to pay G League salaries and expenses year after year when they have a perfectly fine to them farm system that builds the brand of their future employees and doesn't cost them a thing.

BTW, elite HS kids can make millions in China and Europe straight out of HS and still choose to go to college.

Surely you're not that stupid. You got that I was saying that the NBA would go bankrupt out of that post? Just because they can doesn't mean they will want to continue to pay G League salaries and expenses year after year when they have a perfectly fine to them farm system that builds the brand of their future employees and doesn't cost them a thing.

BTW, elite HS kids can make millions in China and Europe straight out of HS and still choose to go to college.

NBA execs seem to disagree with you completely. maybe they just dont know who you are.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I'm all for any option for a kid to make money and benefit from his likeness straight out of high school. Will be interesting to see how many guys jump at the opportunity. College basketball has been a watered down version of itself for many years now. Things like this will continue to decrease the quality of college basketball.

how many minor league baseball teams are there?
MLB minor league teams have their own players that they have signed and train and develop as they see fit.

The HS guys who go to the G League will be draft eligible players assigned to no one. I know you're simple but surely you can see the difference between paying for your own players development and paying for a group of random players development.

Reactions: jrpross
Part of me wonders if this was a warning shot for the ncaa to ignore the duke Zion stuff. LoL

A dukie is just egocentric and delusional enough to make league wide business decisions based on helping his alma mater. [laughing]

Ehh, go easy on Keyser. He honestly means well but just isn’t well versed when it comes to the NBA

i'm regularly shocked at all the NBA experts on the board when these same people routinely say how much the NBA sucks and never watch.

but thats the internet for you.

$125k is nice, but you're giving up anybody knowing who you are on draft day and possibly being "exposed" against much tougher competition right out of high school. The dudes in the G-League are guys who would each individually be the best players in college basketball right now.

This is a terrible idea even for the top prospects. If they're truly good enough, $125k isn't a drop in the bucket compared to the money you make later and not worth the damage to your brand.

G League isn’t about generating revenue. It’s about de-risking talent evaluation and restructuring labor costs for the NBA.

Whether people actually watch G League games is irrelevant.

Not too worried. Cal will still get his share of the best players available. Have never worried for a second about recruiting since Cal's been here. To be honest it could be a good thing to give the players who really don't want to be in college in the first place another option. I think the college game should be the ones pushing to allow kids to turn pro direct from high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT