ADVERTISEMENT

Big G League announcement - $125k offer not to go to college

G League isn’t about generating revenue. It’s about de-risking talent evaluation and restructuring labor costs for the NBA.

Whether people actually watch G League games is irrelevant.

shhhh....dont tell them that. they are NBA experts and think this is about fans and fan attendance.

Ahhh call me if they open up some endorsement money to these kids, that’s the only thing I see hurting the college game. $125K is a good chunk of change but I highly doubt this is going to cause high level guys to bolt to the G-League. Most aren’t built to succeed against grown men at 18.

Rob makes a good point right here. Shoes companies paying millions of dollars to these schools.

G League isn’t about generating revenue. It’s about de-risking talent evaluation and restructuring labor costs for the NBA.

Whether people actually watch G League games is irrelevant.
They cant properly evaluate college talent as they've been doing since the beggining of the NBA so to minimize the risk they're signing 18 year olds to compete with grown men? Odd.

The one and done rule is an NBA rule, they can simply allow HS players in the league then everyone can stop crying about colleges not paying the players enough on top of their scholarship, room, board, healthcare, and elite training.

Reactions: Wildcatsworld
I have no problem with it. Taking those who have no interest in going to college OUT of college would solve some problems we're now seeing now. As far as the drop in talent, I really don't care. If it were about talent level I'd be an NBA fan. Cal will still get the best of what's left.

They cant properly evaluate college talent as they've been doing since the beggining of the NBA so to minimize the risk they're signing 18 year olds to compete with grown men? Odd.

The one and done rule is an NBA rule, they can simply allow HS players in the league then everyone can stop crying about colleges not paying the players enough on top of their scholarship, room, board, healthcare, and elite training.

Part of the difficulty in evaluating college talent is the fact that the college game is in many ways fundamentally different than the NBA.

There are plenty of players who would’ve been considered excellent defenders in college that come into the league completely unprepared to do things as fundamental as icing a ball screen. College coaches teach college basketball. They don’t teach NBA basketball and that complicates things when you’re trying to project a player’s potential at the next level.

In the G League, they are going to be able to spend significantly more time on evaluating players. And more importantly, evaluate players being asked to play NBA style basketball.

$125k to some prospects means nothing to the NBA money wise. You do realize they just signed a TV deal worth 25 billion with TNT and ESPN! NBA can easily support the G League without any effect to it's money making abilities.

I think the G League makes sense for prospects that need money now. But for overall individual brand, enrolling in a blue blood college such as Kentucky or Duke etc is better long term simply because of the TV exposure and better facilities at these schools.

Don't underestimate the size of potential shoe contracts and other endorsements for these prospects. These players may end up with multi-million dollar deals right out of high school. If the talent level shows up in the G-League, people will start to pay attention and the NBA knows that.

Rob makes a good point right here. Shoes companies paying millions of dollars to these schools.

Shoe companies pay for exposure. They simply want their logo to be everywhere whenever you watch a game. They don’t necessarily care if the team is successful.

Nike sponsors 70% of all major basketball programs. The majority of those aren’t what most would consider successful. But that’s not what’s important. What’s important is that when the game is on, you see a swoosh on the jersey.

Dauster doesn’t seem to get this.

There is one single thing the NCAA could do effective today that is not only the morally and legally proper thing to do, but also good for keeping top talent in the college game: Allow players to make money off of their likeness. If an elite player could simultaneously have a shoe deal, do commercials, etc. while having the exposure offered by the college game they'd be better off than any G-League contract could ever make them..

But the NCAA is a corrupt fossil of an organization run by a bunch of academics who have no common sense or decency so nothing will change.

The NCAA can fair-catch and just take this, or they can get their head out of their ass and make some minimal changes to make the college experience more beneficial and attractive to recruits. It is not going to require them to match this $125k to do it. I don't even think this is going to be as big an impact as many think at first glance of this new development.
Cal is well ahead of the curve on ideas to counter this move by the NBA, unfortunately NCAA officials would never even consider listening to him. "Players First" has been his mantra from day 1 and the NCAA needs to start heading in that direction.

BYE BYE College Basketball as we know it.

$125k contracts offered to select elite prospects will not fundamentally change college basketball. We are, though, entering a time where the landscape of basketball is changing.

Reactions: JDHoss
$125k won't go very far for these players that are planning on being millionaires. After taxes you are dropping down to around the mid to upper $80k range. You know a lot of the players will want to take care of their family and will have a posse that will take from that money. They have to get a nice ride and probably a bunch of nicer clothes. Might have to furnish the place they will live in. Before you know it that money is all gone.

What happens if you are injured playing in more games than college or you turn out to be not as good as you thought you were? Will they keep paying you $125k to languish in the G League? I doubt it. Then you will be forced to take a big pay cut or see if overseas leagues want you anymore. Plus you get to deal with the horrible travel arrangements.

Had you went to college, you get better exposure that will bring big endorsements. If you don't develop as quickly as hoped, you can spend a few more years improving. All the while you get elite training, food, medical, exposure, and some pocket money. Worst case, you stay 4 years and get a degree. At a place like Kentucky you likely will get a very good job in the future even if you don't go pro.

That's my pitch to go to college.

Win #9 in April and I don't give a damn if they up the salary to $1 million.

It's time for a title.

it probably won't be much of an issue until it's proven that a guy can go that route and still go #1 in the draft over a guy who starred in College all year

This will be a real problem for the Blue Bloods, especially Cal. He always recruits the best of the best. What do you do when many of the guys you've been recruiting hard decide to go to the G League. And they don't make the decision until late. And it's too late to go after replacement recruits. This will cause the top schools to be vary wary about recruiting any player ranked highly.

Isn't Cal all about the players? One would think he would push them to the G-League to follow their dreams. IF $125,000 is their dream.

I’d also add that the agents are against this not because they think it would be bad for elite propspects, but because they are against the G League in general. The G League poses a major threat to agents’ commissions.

Part of the G League strategy is to expand the pool of competent, non-all star level players. These are the guys who don’t make the all-star team, but stick around long enough to sign two or even three contracts.

Those second and third contracts become much more expensive. If you’re able to expand this pool of players, and do it in a way where you’re more confident in assessing the talent, you make these players more easily replaceable. So instead of signing a veteran to a third contract, you can replace him with a younger, cheaper player who you feel pretty confident will perform close to the same level.

If the NBA is able to achieve this, then that’s very bad news for agents because they don’t earn commission on rookie contracts. So the fewer players signing second and third contracts, the fewer the deals where the agent gets paid.

Agents get what this is all about, and if I were an agent, I’d be doing everything possible to undercut the G League.

I’d say good riddance to whichever players take the dough but I’ll never give a sh!t about them enough to know who they are.

Go Big Blue.

Yep. This ends 1nDone as we know it. There will be very few of the top 20 players who go to college. They can start to get paid immediately. Why risk getting hurt in college and dealing with all the amateurism rules. Look how many baseball players go to the league out of HS for signing bonuses of less than 125K and no realistic payday the next season. And those are "white privileged" kids whose parents in most cases have money. When you are dealing with a kid from a fatherless home from a rough part of town....$125K + the endorsements and all the other money that can flow from it....that is life changing for the player and his family.

Also, this will still be a grown man league. Check some of the rosters.. Almost all of them are college standouts with several players nearing their 30's. Not only do they have college conditioning under their belt, but NBA as well.. And a ton more experience than a college junior.

The ROI for recruits outside the top5 will drop off fast. I dont see the 12th or 10th recruit having success in the above league... They'll get exposed more often than not and after some time a recruit won't see the reward outweigh the risk.

This affects the top5.. Maybe top10 recruits. Really won't matter much. What they will have to figure out is recruiting a top5 player and his possible decision to head to the G-lesgue. Makes 1AD recruiting a bit trickier.. But College basketball will be just fine.

Yep. This ends 1nDone as we know it. There will be very few of the top 20 players who go to college. They can start to get paid immediately. Why risk getting hurt in college and dealing with all the amateurism rules. Look how many baseball players go to the league out of HS for signing bonuses of less than 125K and no realistic payday the next season. And those are "white privileged" kids whose parents in most cases have money. When you are dealing with a kid from a fatherless home from a rough part of town....$125K + the endorsements and all the other money that can flow from it....that is life changing for the player and his family.

Lot of details to be ironed out. But let's look at the 15th ranked kid. He has the option to join the G-League for UP TO $125,000. To start, I don't think the 15th ranked guy is going to get that (again, lots of details we'll have to see unfold).

He's going to join a league where the previous top10 guys are just getting done playing. Some might not get drafted, because I still think the G-league is going to expose a player much more than college would. So now you have some guys pulling back, ALONG with the just-not-NBA-potential college players from the last 10 years... that's what teams will be made up of.

So this 17-year old, 15th ranked recruit needs to decide on how much playing time he's going to get to try and get a multi million dollar deal. It seems like scoring that deal would be easier going the college route if you ask me.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
The issue on 1-n-d just shifts to a different player. If for example 1-10 go for a G-spot then everyone (UK, UNC, KU, Duke) fights over 11 through whatever. There will be at the end of their frosh season SGA's who suddenly become the new 1-n-d in the frosh class. The difference is that they will be competing for spots in the NBA against a "freshman" class of players from the G-League. Not sure how all that will shake out. How does the NBA do a draft for G-Leaguer's out of HS?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Here's the Rio Grande Valley Vipers top players last year:

RJ Hunter
Danuel House
Troy Williams
Demetrius Jackson
Monte Morris
Cleanthony Early
Tyler Lydon.

All these guys were the best players on their college teams (obviously for smaller schools than Kentucky or Duke). They are also far past being college seniors, the average age, I'm eyeballing, to be 24.

Do we think that freshman like Gabriel, Washington, Leaf, F. Jackson, Jeter, Brunson, Thornton.. could play on that team in their first season, to the point that they get drafted? I don't. I think the G-league will, generally, eat a sub-10 player for breakfast.

Here's the Rio Grande Valley Vipers top players last year:

RJ Hunter
Danuel House
Troy Williams
Demetrius Jackson
Monte Morris
Cleanthony Early
Tyler Lydon.

All these guys were the best players on their college teams (obviously for smaller schools than Kentucky or Duke). They are also far past being college seniors, the average age, I'm eyeballing, to be 24.

Do we think that freshman like Gabriel, Washington, Leaf, F. Jackson, Jeter, Brunson, Thornton.. could play on that team in their first season, to the point that they get drafted? I don't. I think the G-league will, generally, eat a sub-10 player for breakfast.

You’re making the assumption that the G League operates in the same manner as college or the NBA in that the primary focus of all teams is to win games. If that were true, then I’d agree with you in that sub-top 10 players would face an uphill battle.

But that’s not necessarily the case. The NBA is truly viewing the G League as a developmental league and as a way to help the NBA franchises. So they’re willing to devote time to assessment and development at the expense of wins.

Casey Hill is a good example. He was head coach of the AC Clippers last year and had a losing record. Rather than firing him, they promoted him to the LA Clippers as an assistant coach.

The G League is not a product or a revenue stream for the NBA. It’s an investment and an expense. Because of that, it operates under some slightly different rules.

You’re making the assumption that the G League operates in the same manner as college or the NBA in that the primary focus of all teams is to win games. If that were true, then I’d agree with you in that sub-top 10 players would face an uphill battle.

But that’s not necessarily the case. The NBA is truly viewing the G League as a developmental league and as a way to help the NBA franchises. So they’re willing to devote time to assessment and development at the expense of wins.

Casey Hill is a good example. He was head coach of the AC Clippers last year and had a losing record. Rather than firing him, they promoted him to the LA Clippers as an assistant coach.

The G League is not a product or a revenue stream for the NBA. It’s an investment and an expense. Because of that, it operates under some slightly different rules.

Yeah, I get that. But the minutes do favor the better players. On that same team, those players had 30+ minutes, while lesser guys hovered around 15. Sure, it appears everyone is getting some burn for that evaluation. But the question then becomes: Do they want to spend time evaluating Chase Jeter? Or try and get Zhou Qi as many reps as possible to be Houston's backup Center? As it turns out, Qi is now on Houston for this reason.

I just don't think the G-league is the automatic fastest way to an NBA paycheck for guys outside the top10. Could it be? For sure. It will work for some. But it will also expose players, and quite a few. It also might wear them down. I think the G-league will become some form of a gamble for anyone outside the top10, and those players will have to wonder if 30 games for a single college season is the safer play.

Last edited:
This wont be viable after the first year. The G League has no attendance, no TV deal, that equals no revenue. They would just be hemorrhaging money.

Umm ..you do realize the G-League is owned and operated by the NBA, with every franchise heavily subsidized by the NBA, right? And today's NBA is positively drowning in ungodly amounts of money.

Financial viability will not be a problem.

Reactions: Salamiboy666
College baseball is more popular now than it has ever been, and players have always had the option of going pro straight out of high school in baseball. For 30 years or so you could do that in basketball as well, and the college game somehow managed to survive. I am totally on board with this new arrangement, and it will be good for college basketball by getting rid of the players who really don't want to be there anyway. Those are the ones that don't give a damn about violating NCAA rules, and end up getting you put on probation. The best way to clean up college sports is to eliminate schools being allowed to sign contracts with shoe companies. Not holding my breath on that happening though.

This is dumb. This option won't even exist in 2 yes after no big names do it. I don't see any kid taking this route instead being one and done

I think it’s not. We’ve had some OAD’s who by all accounts were excellent students, but there is no doubt we’ve had some guys who didn’t care anything for what they might learn in a classroom. Why make them go? Give them a decent salary, and 125k is definitely that, and let them not fool with something they have no interest in. College. I don’t get it. It didn’t change me, it remade me. It changed the course of my life forever. But then I was never a 5 star rated recruit.

Last edited:

So if they aren't raising the measly salaries for the mid 20s vets.. What happens when a guy like Trae Young can't QUITE show out in his first year? Does his second year drop to 35k?

Its also only for "a select few elite players".. To me, Tha says top10 and not much past. Players also MUST stay for the year and can't be called up early.

It'll be interesting.. We'll probably lose out on the John Walls and KATs.. But we'll just have to live with the Jalen Brunsons and and Jarrett Allen's.. Im fine with that. Allen might show more in a year of college than say, Wendell Carter would in the g-league. It's all a gamble that depends on 1. Your skill and 2. Your confidence.

Either way, i think this matters very little to college ball.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
Yikes, when is that going into effect? Could see that taking lots of top prospects off the board.

Also think it’s odd how the NBA and college basketball don’t work together and are almost against each other.

Don't think this will be too big of an immediate issue. But if they start paying like they do overseas, to some of the bigger recruits (ala Brandon Jennings) OR if every team has a minor league team it will become a major issue. Cal is right though, long term NCAA needs to address the giant elephant in the room. Either pay players or offer them some sort of incentive to come back to college.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
So if they aren't raising the measly salaries for the mid 20s vets.. What happens when a guy like Trae Young can't QUITE show out in his first year? Does his second year drop to 35k?

Its also only for "a select few elite players".. To me, Tha says top10 and not much past. Players also MUST stay for the year and can't be called up early.

It'll be interesting.. We'll probably lose out on the John Walls and KATs.. But we'll just have to live with the Jalen Brunsons and and Jarrett Allen's.. Im fine with that. Allen might show more in a year of college than say, Wendell Carter would in the g-league. It's all a gamble that depends on 1. Your skill and 2. Your confidence.

Either way, i think this matters very little to college ball.

It will matter to UK.

In 2022, if they lower the age restriction, we won't just be losing out on the Walls of the world. We'll likely lose out on the Bams and the Murrays as well.

It will matter to UK.

In 2022, if they lower the age restriction, we won't just be losing out on the Walls of the world. We'll likely lose out on the Bams and the Murrays as well.
2022 could be the tsunami for all of college basketball.

This G League thing is just a small wave. It's probably not enough, unless the player just really, really, really hates even the idea of school. One and done is the proven path, so most guys will stay on it.

If they allow players to go straight from HS directly into the real draft, not just the G League, that's a game changer, because now an 18 year old can gamble on being drafted, and even if he's not, he has 125K waiting for him in the G League.

It will be especially acute if the NBA negotiates a multi-year either/or with the player's association in 2022- a player can either enter the pros at 18, or he's not eligible for the draft again for 2 or 3 years. If they go that route, college basketball as we know it is gone.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT