ADVERTISEMENT

Bevin vs Beshear for KY governor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rack every word of this.

Quite a few Republicans in the eastern part of the state said they’d cross over and support Rocky. That won’t happen with Beshear.

Lewis Co is DEEP red and Bevin didnt carry the county .. when I saw that I actually thought Goforth would pull a mind blowing upset. And many many people involved in politics in Lewis co as life long R's were backing Rocky . JMHO but his abortion vote hurt him. ( rocky)

Reactions: UK_Norm
Is it possible the 15 million dollars in state tax money Bevin gave to a "proposed" aluminum mill in eastern Kentucky could come back to bite him? The guy that is supposed to open this mill has made wild promises before and never fulfilled them and hasn't even secured financing needed for this project.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/new...cle_35935779-1fc2-5a6c-a288-79ef10ebc6f4.html

The entire Braidy thing stinks like a rotten dead skunk . I dont trust that guy at all.

So what you are saying more people in the state voted for the Democrat and they won by popular vote, got it.
But that only hides the fact that the majority of the rest of the state (similar to "flyover country" nationally) is red. The dense populous areas are dictating policy for the rest of the state, when those policies don't necessarily align. Most of our Democrat Governors in the past have been rather moderate or only slightly left of center, because they realized they had a large portion of the state they had to pander to. Beshear is just a Political hack trying to take the state further to the left and there are a whole lot of rural citizens in this state who might oppose such measures.

Reactions: Century Cat
Beshear and Bevin both say stupid crap. I hate the cringe worthy rhetoric Bevin says quite often, just like I hate some of the things Trump says, but in the end my belief system aligns more with theirs. Beshear is just out there spouting stupid nonsensical political rhetoric that just goes too far and makes him look foolish and like an obstructionist. He literally said "The State WILL NOT SURVIVE another four years of Bevin" and "He (Bevin) is WRONG on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE"
Really? every single issue? There's not one single thing Bevin was right about? Our State is really going to collapse and die if Bevin stays governor? What does that look like? What does a "State not surving" look like? Other than the Teachers mostly throwing a hissy fit, what else has gone into the crapper? and again really? Every. Single. Issue? saying stuff like that just makes you look like a political hack. Kinda like Congress these days.

I will say one area I don't agree with Bevin on, is that Kentucky needs expanded gaming and legalization of Marijuana in some capacity. Both of those could go a long way towards solving the pension crisis. And I say that as somebody who doesn't partake or gamble outside of a lottery ticket now and then.

"Teachers throwing a hissy fit"?

Lets see how you react when someone screws with your money and trashes your profession.

Lets see how you react when someone screws with your money and trashes your profession.
They should have started that hissy fit loooong before Bevin became Governor. Like I said, I hate some of the things Bevin says, i don't disagree with you there. but at least he was trying to find solutions to a problem that was created long before him and only worsened when Beshear was governor. Talk about somebody "Screwing with your money".

Mack Blevins wins easily. Straight tickets will propel him to victory. I’m guessing 55-45

well deserved hissy fit .. his policy was OK , his blubbering mouth was not .. it was embarrassing several times, not just once.

Is it too late for an independent candidate? That would really throw a wrench in this.

Beshear has done nothing but whine and complain for the last 3+ years. He's backed the teachers union and their "sick" out, so he's got their support. He was supposedly going to investigate gas price concerns but of course like everyone before him that tried that, we never heard a thing. I suspect Bevin will win, but like others have said it will be brutal.

I like the parts when he sues the Governor & Legislature for their illegal and often unconstitutional acts, and beats them in court 90% of the time. So that is much more than doing "nothing". It is standing up to those that think they can trample people's rights with personal agendas and trying to make Kentucky at theocracy.

I voted Goforth, but now I got to hold my nose and vote for Bevin because knuckleheaded democrats voted a very liberal idiot to run against him. I would have voted Rocky or Edelin, the Beshear family will now continue to screw our state.

Changing his first name actually may help.

Throw in these for good measure.

619wflbTwoL._SX425_.jpg

Reactions: homeytheclown
If I were on Bevin's team the 2st thing I do is get Beshear to talk about his Daddy's time as Governor. Ask about pensions and what was done during his 2 terms.

If Beshear backs Daddy, then let the good times roll. If he doesn't, well that's can be spun as a disloyal son.

Can't wait. Going to be fun.

Reactions: Hankshaker
Bevin voter but agree he’s :100points: wrong on chron and gambol.

THAT SAID

Anyone that thinks those two things are going to fix the pension issue are :100points: wrong as well. Pension debt is what, $14B and rising at $500M per year?

I did some digging on this before but using comparable Indiana (gambol) and Colorado (chron...and scaled proportionally to KY pop) came up to something like $300M per year. Bottom line....it’s in the ballpark of the rate of increase. It’s pissing in the wind of actually reducing the number.

.....and that’s with the pension fund getting 100% of the net. Not sure why they deserve 100% of those proceeds? What about Medicaid? What about Appalachia? What about small business? What about _______?

Pension is going down and there’s no pot/gambol/tax increase that’s going to stop it.

Bevin voter but agree he’s :100points: wrong on chron and gambol.

THAT SAID

Anyone that thinks those two things are going to fix the pension issue are :100points: wrong as well. Pension debt is what, $14B and rising at $500M per year?

I did some digging on this before but using comparable Indiana (gambol) and Colorado (chron...and scaled proportionally to KY pop) came up to something like $300M per year. Bottom line....it’s in the ballpark of the rate of increase. It’s pissing in the wind of actually reducing the number.

.....and that’s with the pension fund getting 100% of the net. Not sure why they deserve 100% of those proceeds? What about Medicaid? What about Appalachia? What about small business? What about _______?

Pension is going down and there’s no pot/gambol/tax increase that’s going to stop it.
When I looked at the weed numbers I came up with ~$100m. Gambling has been diluted now that about every state has them. Silly we don't have either considering we are the state of horse gambling, pills, bourbon, etc.

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
When I looked at the weed numbers I came up with ~$100m. Gambling has been diluted now that about every state has them. Silly we don't have either considering we are the state of horse gambling, pills, bourbon, etc.
Agree completely.

Just hate the lazy ass people that scream WEED GAMBOL FIX PENTION without even remotely thinking about the numbers.

Weed and gambol (which 100% should be legalized) are essentially the change in a hobo’s bean can begging outside Ruby’s as the Pension walks in to order a Collinsworth. Or whatever.

If I were on Bevin's team the 2st thing I do is get Beshear to talk about his Daddy's time as Governor. Ask about pensions and what was done during his 2 terms.

If Beshear backs Daddy, then let the good times roll. If he doesn't, well that's can be spun as a disloyal son.

Can't wait. Going to be fun.
All Beshear is going to do with his ad campaign is replay Bevin's numbskull comments over and over and over again with that brooding voiceover guy that seems to be in every political ad ever made for any politician ever.

What the teachers and other head-in-the-sand pensioners don't realize is that while they think that money is owed to them, it really isn't. I didn't live in this state when they were promised that money, and I can move very easily. The faster they get clued in on this the better off they will be.

Reactions: drawing_dead
What the teachers and other head-in-the-sand pensioners don't realize is that while they think that money is owed to them, it really isn't. I didn't live in this state when they were promised that money, and I can move very easily. The faster they get clued in on this the better off they will be.

That is exactly what happened in Detroit. The people who could, fled. Those who were left were not enough to cover all the pension obligations. The city declared bankruptcy and the pensions were cut and medical contributions for retirees were raised. Better to make a deal that all sides can live with now than to get something much worse later.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/p...etroit-bankruptcy-retirees-pension/759446002/

Reactions: I am stupid
As a few have stated , it wasnt so much Bevin's political moves on fixing the pension , it was bitter medicine that had to be delivered , he was a total ass in his public remarks, he was insulting , arrogant and worthy of receiving the vitriol he got back .

I was all set to vote for Rocky and perhaps Edlen as well this fall but now im afraid ill have to go with Bevin again. Breshears dad was a big factor in this mess. Then the state GOP tries to fix it and here comes Andy subverting the will of the people on technicalities. If I were a teacher id get as much of my money as I could in an account under my control right now and never look back. as long as the state controls it you are going to get screwed sooner or later. actually you all ready are.

Beshear is another crooked liberal who’s policies will take the state back into the predicament that the previous liberal left us in.

I don’t give a shit about the personality of my Governor or President. What I do give a shit about is their policies, and both Bevin and Trumps policies work.

Honest questions...

<> What is Beshear's proposal for a solution to the pension fund fiasco?

<> What other policy changes does his platform suggest? (Not interested in his stance on abortion or immigration...specifically state oriented policy changes)

TIA

The Democrats (IMHO) chose the only guy who has a chance of losing to him.
This reminds me of 2016, when I said the Republicans nominated the only guy who could lose to Hillary. Or maybe the Dems nominated the only person Trump could have beaten? Who knows. Point is things aren't always what they seem......

Beshear is another crooked liberal who’s policies will take the state back into the predicament that the previous liberal left us in.

I don’t give a shit about the personality of my Governor or President. What I do give a shit about is their policies, and both Bevin and Trumps policies work.
Least shocking post ever

The teachers can get 80 cents on the dollar with a good Kentucky economy or 40 cents on the dollar with a shitty Kentucky economy. Their choice.
The teachers will get 100 cents on the dollar of the pension terms under which they were hired. The state can reduce or modify benefits for future hires if a new pension bill passes, but those currently in the system will get what they were promised. Inviolable contract laws have been challenged in other states (Illinois) and the courts have ruled that inviolable means as exactly as it sounds, something that cannot be violated.

That is exactly what happened in Detroit. The people who could, fled. Those who were left were not enough to cover all the pension obligations. The city declared bankruptcy and the pensions were cut and medical contributions for retirees were raised. Better to make a deal that all sides can live with now than to get something much worse later.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/p...etroit-bankruptcy-retirees-pension/759446002/
Detroit is completely irrelevant in the conversation around Kentucky’s pension issues. Federal law allows cities and other local municipalities to declare bankruptcy but the ability to declare bankruptcy doesn’t apply to state governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT