ADVERTISEMENT

Best Western Movie?

Y'all named a lot of good ones, but you missed

Last Stand At Saber River
The Quick And The Dead (the Tom Selleck one)
Monte Walsh

No mention of Silverado? Thought that was damn good.
I was keeping a lookout for this one. And from the TV movie side I also enjoyed "Open Range" and "Appaloosa". Also, "Quigley, Down Under". All pretty interesting.

Then there is "The Sacketts". There have been a lot of good Western movies made from tales from Louis L'amour . John Wayne in "Hondo". Many, many others.

We've made it to the 3rd page and I don't think this one has been mentioned... even though some might not consider it a typical western flick, Treasure Of The Sierra Madre should make any film lover's must-see list.

093020a9e96f7c5cbadfecf9532dfea7.jpg

Reactions: mktmaker
The Wild Bunch
Once Upon a Time in the West
Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite)
Ulzana's Raid (He don't mean to fight you no place, Lieutenant, he means to kill you.)

Spica Orbit

Is No Country for Old Men a Western?

Can't believe no one has made McCarthy's Border Trilogy into a Western

No Country seems to be regarded by many as a Western. I count it as one. Yes it's set outside the time period of the classic Western, but I don't think the introduction of the automobile is a disqualification.

All The Pretty Horses was made made into a not-well-received movie in 2000. Haven't seen it, but I liked the book.

We've made it to the 3rd page and I don't think this one has been mentioned... even though some might not consider it a typical western flick, Treasure Of The Sierra Madre should make any film lover's must-see list.

093020a9e96f7c5cbadfecf9532dfea7.jpg

I haven't considered "...Treasure..." a Western...but I guess it is.

Regardless it is one of the great American films.

Each time I flip around and see it...I have to watch some of it.

Open Range has been mentioned several times. Great, great western.

Broken Trail was another Duvall miniseries he did with Thomas Haden Church that was also outstanding.

As for classic movies,

Rio Bravo
True Grit
High Noon
Stagecoach
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Shane
Unforgiven
Josey Wales
Silverado
Tombstone
El Dorado