ADVERTISEMENT

Best Western Movie?

40 replies and Open Range and Quigley Down Under don't even get honorable mentions? SMDH. Can y'all say Bobby f**king Duval and Alan f**king Rickman? Does the Paddock even westerns, bro?

Reactions: augustaky1
Apologies to the Duke, but Clint made the best movies. I probably go with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly but I'm a huge fan of Unforgiven and Josey Wales as well.

There have been quite a few really good Westerns made in the past ~10 years too. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, No Country For Old Men. I wouldn't put it on a top-10 list or anything but Meek's Cutoff was very good.

Cowboys didn't drive around in automobiles.

My top 10, in order

The Wild Bunch
Unforgiven
Rio Bravo
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
Once Upon a Time In The West
High Plains Drifter
3:10 to Yuma
Brokeback Mountain
*Tombstone

* I prefer to watch by fast forwarding past each and every scene that features Dana Delaney. Her and the lovey-dovey stuff with Wyatt Earp pert near ruin what is otherwise a fine western movie.
Coincidence?

Reactions: Willy4UK
Lonesome Dove
Unforgiven
Tombstone
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Any other western Clint Eastwood did next

large_aGdXDDSmjO0FYtyp33CqSwGupaF.jpg
Definitely the funniest western followed by "Support your local Sheriff" and "Support your local gunfighter" (James Garner films). Also, "My name is Nobody" Terrance Hill and Henry Fonda is pretty funny.

If you can count Lonesome Dove it ends there.

Others...

Wyatt Earp (very underrated)
Tombstone
Young Guns (nostalgic)
Hang 'em High
Pale Rider
Open Range

you bunch of unlearned beasts

2000s Open Range
1990s Tombstone
1980s Lonesome Dove
1970s Jeremiah Johnson
1960s The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
1950s The Searchers
1940s The Ox Bow Incident
1930s Stagecoach

Oh sure, you'll agree with me on Open Range, but you won't give up a "like" even though I mentioned it first.
That first mention was canceled by you for even bringing up Quigley Down Under. You just like you some Tom Selleck in chaps. Admit it.

Blazing Saddles
True Grit 1 and the remake
310 to Yuma The only movie in which Glenn Ford played a bad guy.

I'm 28 years old but,
Young guns
Tombstone
The good, the bad, and the great lookin....Blondie lol
Tv. Series- bonanza, gunsmoke

In addition to High Plains Drifter Butch Cassidy and Little Big Man and a few others mentioned

The Long Riders
Dances with Wolves

Is No Country for Old Men a Western?

Can't believe no one has made McCarthy's Border Trilogy into a Western

Reactions: Get Bucket$
I understand the Tombstone love, but never really understood choosing it over Wyatt Earp. Tombstone was a glimpse of who Earp and his brothers were.

I'd even say the cast of Wyatt Earp is better than Tombstone.

What am I missing?

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Really, how can anyone go with anything other than High Plains Drifter? (or another spaghetti western......they was the bomb)
Loved it! More or at least as much as The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Rio Bravo and Once Upon a Time are tough to beat also.

TV Series I'd add The Rifleman for nostalgic reasons if nothing else.

Second the Garner "Support your.." movies. Too funny!!

Shane
the man who shot liberty valance
the searchers
unforgiven
stagecoach
high noon
red river
the gunfighter
magnificent seven

Oh ye of un-carnel knowledge...what blasphemy you spout. You are Americans. You drive me to drink and drink hard. I am drinking that rock gut The Kracken 94 proof Black Spiced Rum. Oh the shame of being a poster on this site. Lest we forget...:(:chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:[poop]:lock:

It starts and stops with John Wayne PERIOD. In between you have some very watchable westerns but to not start with John Wayne and end with John Wayne is sacrilege...

I am drinking hard this evening. More due to this thread and that is no lie...

Sigh...and my oldest daughter just bought me the John Wayne Epic Collection and it arrived today for a fathers day present. I am watching In Harm's Way right now.

Suffice it to say. Bless Your hearts...

@jedwar and others...

6a00d8341c582a53ef0120a561bda7970b-320wi

Last edited:
I guess I will have to be serious this week...(This coming week.)

Some of you lead sheltered lives..

Just for giggles try and watch;

Tall in the Saddle
Man from Utah
Chisum

Just to name a few over a period of time...from the 30's to the 70's. You want a wide swath of good work, try that. Again, I am not downing other westerns but the real good attitudes of the west came out in John's works. Look a little deeper than one liner's sometimes. (Not knocking Clint in any way. I have a lot of his works too.) In the 70's I told a producer friend I knew at the time hoping he could in someway get the message to anyone who'd listen that Clint Eastwood was the only one who could have ever made a John Wayne biography type movie. It would have been a total character change for him but if he could have pulled it off, today; it would be Clint Eastwood and then everyone else...jmuo

Reactions: jedwar
Some of you lead sheltered lives..

Just for giggles try and watch;

Tall in the Saddle
Man from Utah
Chisum

Just to name a few over a period of time...from the 30's to the 70's. You want a wide swath of good work, try that. Again, I am not downing other westerns but the real good attitudes of the west came out in John's works. Look a little deeper than one liner's sometimes. (Not knocking Clint in any way. I have a lot of his works too.) In the 70's I told a producer friend I knew at the time hoping he could in someway get the message to anyone who'd listen that Clint Eastwood was the only one who could have ever made a John Wayne biography type movie. It would have been a total character change for him but if he could have pulled it off, today; it would be Clint Eastwood and then everyone else...jmuo
Tall In The Saddle is my fav JW western.

Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT