ADVERTISEMENT

Best steak you’ve ever had

The best steak I ever had was a filet at Chophouse in Lexington years ago. It was prepared perfectly. Have eaten there a few times since and couldn't get the same good steak.

Reactions: santamaria78
Craft Steak at MGM in Vegas. Kobe ribeye. Simply amazing.

Others... Steve Fields Steak and Lobster. Ate so much I could hardly walk, but it was so good I couldn't stop. Add in Peter Luger in NY and Berns in Tampa. Wagyu at the Wynn in Vegas was very good, but wasn't my favorite as compared to the others on this list.

Way overrated include St. Elmo's in Indy and Ruth's Chris anywhere.

Last edited:
Wish I had pictures but Blue Raven in Pikeville KY had this filet with a lobster vanilla cream sauce and lump crab meat oscar style. Blue Raven will always give you a badass steak but that particular steak was the best steak I've ever put in my mouth anywhere in the United States. Take my filet rare. Always.

Pro Eating Tip: If your butcher ever has Rib Cap (Spinalis), get it...or if your steakhouse has them on special. I only see them at Costco around here, but it has no peer as far as a cut of steak goes.

Reactions: BernieSadori
Had a filet many years ago at Pat's Steakhouse in Louisville. I cant compare it with what I've had more recently but I swear that's the best I've ever had. Memories are hard to beat!!

I've tried the, grilling over the charcoal starter, method a couple times and will have to say it's worth giving it a try... Precook steaks (thick cut strips/halved) to 120 (think) in a 200 oven for 90 minutes...??? Use the charcoal starter 2/3 full, skewer the two 8oz. steaks, and use the starter bucket to crust up the edges over the intense heat.... The meat is already cooked to medium rare so the time over the starter bucket goes very fast.... Google this process as my memory isn't good... But it works if you like the meat medium rare-ish... Fully pink center and one hell of a crust........

Anyone tried a steak from Eddie Merlot's in Louisville? Heading there this weekend and the lady I'm going with made reservations.

Anyone tried a steak from Eddie Merlot's in Louisville? Heading there this weekend and the lady I'm going with made reservations.

Eddie Merlot's is the best steak in L'ville. Everything on the menu is amazing. Get the lobster mac and cheese too. I'm jealous... wish I was going this weekend.

On a business trip three years ago I got to go to Gyuan in Tokyo. The filet was amazing. Just glad I wasn't paying.

Unless it's just a really thick cut(or expensive) I don't get taking the time for reverse sear or sous vide a steak. If you can't nail a perfectly med-rare steak on a charcoal grill, turn in your apron.

Reactions: drxman1
^ I'd argue if you aren't cooking a really thick cut (or expensive...aka, high grade) than you're wasting your time. That said, I rarely do reverse sear. For a thick cut I just Peg it for 30 minutes & then blast it for a few minutes per side, shut down my vents, and dome it until it reaches temp -- pretty fail proof.

(Obviously excludes skirt or flank for tacos/fajitas, etc)

Finally, Sous Vide Filet finished in a screaming Cast Iron w/ herbs & butter >>>>> Grilled.

I do agree with that any fatty steak renders much better done entirely on the grill, but I'm not always in the mood to grill or for grilled food or smoke; it's an entirely different flavor profile.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Personal Louisville Ranking:
1. Ruby's
2. Ruth's Chris - fan of butter
3. Mortons
4. Eddie Merlots
5. LeMoo...maybe Del Friscos.

Prime Rib of Beef, King's Cut : Keen’s NYC

I want to try the Côte de Boeuf at Minetta Tavern. Supposedly best piece of prepared beef anywhere. Was going to go for wife’s birthday, but FIL died.

However, without question, my favorite cut is the Ribeye. Of which, I prepared like a champ last night.

Reactions: Willy4UK
That’s a helluva char. Method/Vessel?

Had Cote de Boeuf @ Minetta. Wasted about $50 worth of steak but worth it.

Black label burger doesn’t appeal to me bc i don’t want to deal with the scorn of asking for cheese. Don’t really care if Pat LaFrieda custom shit the beef, I want cheese on my burger.

Place is such a classic tho.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Controversial take 1 - Regular Filet > Bone In Filet
Why? I like the tenderness and consistency of a filet. With a bone in cut, you get exceedingly rare towards the bone, plus you deal with the connective tissue. Ribeye and NY strip that’s a different story, however.

Controversial take 2 - “Regular” Prime NY Strip > Grass-Fed Prime NY Strip
I think the grass fed stuff has an odd flavor to it. Seems to be strong in the strip more than anything.

Can you imagine how good beef-fed beef would taste? Probably better than human meat.

I've had the prime burger at Minetta - was good but their blood Mary's were awful - almost undrinkable and it was a hungover Sunday brunch so it ruined the whole experience.

There are only a handful of restaurants in the entire United States that serve an authentic Kobe beef - I happened to have a 4 oz cut at nemacolin resort last year - actually thought it was too fatty. Glad I tried it but won't do again - especially for the price yeesh.

Favorite chain is Eddie Merlots, at least the one where I live. Favorite local steakhouse is the Tops, which has an incredible atmosphere - makes you feel like your back in the rat pack era. Luckily I live in a town in the Midwest so I have lots and lots of extremely good high end steakhouses around me.

That’s a helluva char. Method/Vessel?

Had Cote de Boeuf @ Minetta. Wasted about $50 worth of steak but worth it.

Black label burger doesn’t appeal to me bc i don’t want to deal with the scorn of asking for cheese. Don’t really care if Pat LaFrieda custom shit the beef, I want cheese on my burger.

Place is such a classic tho.

Sous vide @130° for 3 hours with butter, gray salt, cracked pepper, rosemary & thyme.

Dried completely,

Cast-iron with 1-2 TBS Frankie’s Spuntino grape seed oil til smoke. Blast-furnace temps. (Thank god for new range hood.) start on fat edge first.

Finished on second side with more butter, rosemary & thyme.

I get best results in skillet.

Unless it's just a really thick cut(or expensive) I don't get taking the time for reverse sear or sous vide a steak.

I've found the reverse sear provides flexibility in the length of time I have to prepare a meal - a must for anyone with kids.

Start with the steak in the oven, then work your sides, and if one of your kids happens to put her trampoline next to the pool table so that she could jump off the pool table to get extra air to clear the couch resulting in busting her nose on the coffee table, well, you can simply wrap the steak in foil, take care of her injury, and then sear the steak when you are ready.

Sous vide is the same way. Leave it in an extra 10-15 minutes or everyone not ready to eat at the same way, no big deal.

-:joy: @ 80proof. Still bitching about CraftSteak. Should've sent it back, big guy.

Reactions: drxman1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT