ADVERTISEMENT

Best steak you’ve ever had

drcats2013

All-SEC
Nov 13, 2012
The deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky
Being the fata** I am, let’s talk food. I love a good steak, and personally have a 2 way tie for my favorite. Shades cafe in middlesboro Kentucky has a fantastic ribeye; much better than the faux Kobe beef ribeye I had at Malone’s for 3x’s the price. My other favorite is the bison ribeye from Ted Montana’s. Good lord that was amazing. For the price, hard to beat a good pan seared steak made from home, though, and I almost always go ribeye.

Pappas Brothers Steakhouse in Dallas.

I’ve eaten at Malone’s, numerous Ruth’s Chris, Jeff Ruby’s, Tony’s, and many other high dollar places across the US. All are great....especially if you’re not paying.

It's hard to screw up a good steak. Really. Start with a good cut Tbone at room temp. Smear it in extra virgin. Sprinkle some kosher salt both sides. A little coarse ground black pepper. Put it on the grill. I like to add a bit more olive oil during the cook. Maybe just a bit more kosher salt. This is the best steak way. Period. People who swear by filet mignon are on the right track, but few of them know it's nothing more than the circle part in the middle of a good t-bone.
It’s been a while since I’ve had a nice t-bone, as i almost always go ribeye. You now have me wanting one.

Never found a restaurant steak that can compete with doing it at home. Best steak I’ve had was a perfect reverse sear a few years ago: consistent pink through the middle, crunchy crust, was awesome. Slightly below that I’d go with a sous vide.

Never found a restaurant steak that can compete with doing it at home. Best steak I’ve had was a perfect reverse sear a few years ago: consistent pink through the middle, crunchy crust, was awesome. Slightly below that I’d go with a sous vide.

But with sous vide do you get the crust that a good sear makes? Or sear then sous vide? I'm asking....

Malones ribeye is $45 including a side and salad, so the best steak you’ve ever had was $15? You can’t even get a ribeye by itself for $45 at a real high end steakhouse.

those damn sweet potatoes too....
All the sides are pretty ****ing good. Salads are a little overrated. Always wanted to get the seafood tower but I'm not dropping 87$ on an "appetizer". Usually just get an extra beam and coke for dessert while my family eats the sweets. I'll take the alchy buzz over a sugar rush.

But with sous vide do you get the crust that a good sear makes? Or sear then sous vide? I'm asking....

You have to cast iron the steak to get the sear after being in the sous vide for 45 mintues at 129 degrees for the perfect medium rare. It is the best steak by a mile you can make at home. Never overcooked.

Go to Amazon and get one for $120. Anova is the one i got with the blue tooth. I can turn it off from my phone.

I was impressed with the steak, but really chicken is what makes having a sous vide worth it. I don't care how you cook chicken almost everyone technically over cooks it. Not with sous vide. Perfect every single time.

No i was not paid for this glowing endorsement. Have owned it for about 45 days and use it 5 times a week for something.

Meat eaters are the Hitlers of the animal kingdom
1240265992468.jpg

As for me, I give Tony's the win over Ruth's Chris. Both are stupid expensive but damn good. I didn't even put any ketchup on them.

Reactions: augustaky1
You have to cast iron the steak to get the sear after being in the sous vide for 45 mintues at 129 degrees for the perfect medium rare. It is the best steak by a mile you can make at home. Never overcooked.

Go to Amazon and get one for $120. Anova is the one i got with the blue tooth. I can turn it off from my phone.

I was impressed with the steak, but really chicken is what makes having a sous vide worth it. I don't care how you cook chicken almost everyone technically over cooks it. Not with sous vide. Perfect every single time.

No i was not paid for this glowing endorsement. Have owned it for about 45 days and use it 5 times a week for something.

Ah I see. So its seared after. Anything go into the pan with the steak after the sous vide process?

Never had steak prepared this way but as you mentioned its great for chicken. Had the application applied to chicken many times...

Hard to say "the best". I think atmosphere has a lot to do with how good we sometimes perceive the food to be.

Having said that, my personal favorite was at Ramsey's Steakhouse in the Paris hotel. 24 oz. bone-in Rib eye.

Ah I see. So its seared after. Anything go into the pan with the steak after the sous vide process?

Never had steak prepared this way but as you mentioned its great for chicken. Had the application applied to chicken many times...

It is odd when you pull the steak out and it looks like a piece of rubbery meat (no pun). After you sear the steak mushrooms with butter in the steaks juices is tops.

I failed to mention you need a vacuum sealer ($50 a walmart) as you seal the meat and place it in the water in the bag.

All I can say is the sous vide is the single best purchase for $100 I have ever made. Have you ever wanted a good steak but not wanting to fire up the grill b/c it is 10 degrees outside? Problem solved.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
Yeah, that's false. I'd cook circles around you and anyone else that's posted so far in this thread. Better stick with Claims, bub.

I have a Big Green Egg & and an Anova...and cook a very nice steak -- but not dumb enough to think I can match an 1800 Degree Broiler and the quality of beef the best steakhouses hand pick...not to mention their aging processes -- and any home cook that thinks they can is dumb.

You're a simpleton. Don't fret, there are TONS of them around here.

I have a cast iron skillet, Jeff Ruby's rub, and butter. While it's a fine steak to eat at home somehow it's no match for a 1,800 degree broiler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT