ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player of All Time at Your High School

Newport Catholic High School
Dave Cowens- He was the 1971 NBA Rookie of the Year and the 1973 NBA Most Valuable Player.

Before my time, Wes Unseld. But he did lift our car out of a ditch one time....

while I was there Keith Williams and Tony Kimbro unfortunately those dirty birds...

We got beat playing them two (Seneca) in the L.I.T in 84 or 85. I will never forget Kimbro coming out wearing his read glasses with the stars around them. Fans where chanting "1.9,1.9", apparently it was his grade point average. LOL, they beat us by 14, I think. Felton Spencer and Eastern was also in it that year. He came rolling out wearing white high top chucks.

PHS: Keith Adkins, went on to play for Notre Dame; Digger Phelps quoted that he was “the best pure shooter he had ever seen in person.”

John Pelphrey, obviously everyone on this board knows who he is.

Jerry Pelphrey, John’s younger brother and IMO a far better player. He was built like a tank.

Joey Couch, went on to play football for UK. Great guy!

JR Vanhoose, played four years at Marshall and then went on to play for the D-League for a couple of seasons.

Brad Tiller, was drafted by the Cleveland Indians minor league program; was said to be the second fastest guy to come through that organization.

Todd Tackett, if Tubby would have given him a chance he would have proved how good he really was to a lot of people

Landon Slone, not much to say about him.

Billy Phelps, amazing baseball player.

Tucker Howard, baseball; went on to play first base for U of L.

I could type a lot more but this is from a school with around 200 students.

Pretty sure this was a best player, not famous alumni regardless of sport. Just busting your balls, I know you are proud of your school, but several of those guys where trash in basketball.

Manual Forrest.

Fellow Mustang here. Graduated in 91. Forrest was the only one that came to mind for me as well. Moore never seemed to have many big time players (haven't really followed them in over 10 years so I don't know if anyone else came through). Biggest name beyond Forrest was probably Carlos Hurt but don't recall him doing much after his 1 year at Moore.

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
Pretty sure this was a best player, not famous alumni regardless of sport. Just busting your balls, I know you are proud of your school, but several of those guys where trash in basketball.
Landon was no superstar, and Tucker and Billy played baseball. The rest of the seven were 100% legit. As I stated, Keith Adkins would run the whole group out of the gym. I would have put him up against anyone. But hey, opinions vary and you’re entitled to yours. Have a good one.

Landon was no superstar, and Tucker and Billy played baseball. The rest of the seven were 100% legit. As I stated, Keith Adkins would run the whole group out of the gym. I would have put him up against anyone. But hey, opinions vary and you’re entitled to yours. Have a good one.

Played against Keith Adkins. Big time bad ass.

Reactions: villefan76
Fellow Mustang here. Graduated in 91. Forrest was the only one that came to mind for me as well. Moore never seemed to have many big time players (haven't really followed them in over 10 years so I don't know if anyone else came through). Biggest name beyond Forrest was probably Carlos Hurt but don't recall him doing much after his 1 year at Moore.
Graduated in 1977, saw Forrest as an 8th grader dunking the ball in the gym. Rumor had it, that Tommy Finnegan made sure Forrest lived inside Moore's district.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Timmy Dalton, Lawrence County High School. Led the nation in scoring at 38 ppg. 5th all time in points scored in a season. Multiple 50 point games. Could jump out of the gym. 6-3 190 and didn’t get a single division 1 offer!

Reactions: rockout1
Phil Simms..Southern High School...average, good all around athlete. Solid football player, goes D-1 to Murray St and then onto MVP of the Super Bowl.
Truth is, he was better in baseball than football. His older brother was really good in baseball. Whole family was good in sports.
He went to Morehead State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT