ADVERTISEMENT

Bates gets future cast to memphis

Duren and Bates have talked about playing together, it would push Memphis to a Top 10 team, not much after that due to Penny getting in the way of the others coaching.

No one thinks we're getting Duren or Bates.

It's like the Flip commitment last week. A kid we were never getting going where he was always going, but instead it's another excuse to gleefully mock the program or coach. Just weird to me.
Duren is why I posted this. It’s been talked about for a few days that Bates and Duren are thinking about teaming up at Memphis. Cal didn’t take Kofi because he felt like he was landing Duren. Now he’s about to lose both it appears.

It's like the Flip commitment last week. A kid we were never getting going where he was always going, but instead it's another excuse to gleefully mock the program or coach. Just weird to me.
Why were we never getting him?Why can't Cal sign top 5 recruits anymore?You don't see that as a problem?

No one thinks it now....several weeks back was a different story.

Cal mocked the program the way he coached and behaved last year.

Memphis is the new Washington. Crazy how cyclical these random schools are. Oregon had a run. Arizona did as well. Washington would get these stars and rarely do anything with them. Memphis will win more this year but I don't see them making too much noise. Still not jealous.

What I don't understand is so many times UK fell short on the "player x wants UK but the family wants school x". All of us were saying let the kid decide! Well there is finally a kid on the flip side of that in duren and it appears they will let him decide where he wants! Lol!!!

And no it's not cal's fault like some will suggest.

Memphis is the new Washington. Crazy how cyclical these random schools are. Oregon had a run. Arizona did as well. Washington would get these stars and rarely do anything with them. Memphis will win more this year but I don't see them making too much noise. Still not jealous.

What I don't understand is so many times UK fell short on the "player x wants UK but the family wants school x". All of us were saying let the kid decide! Well there is finally a kid on the flip side of that in duren and it appears they will let him decide where he wants! Lol!!!

And no it's not cal's fault like some will suggest.
When someone says “Player X wants UK but his family wants a different school” you should realize that person knows nothing and is hedging his bets.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
For someone we were never getting it's strange how Cal has recruited Duren as hard as anyone.
Calipari has recruited any number of elite kids hard it was obvious we weren’t getting over the years. Duren was never gettable imo but Lively is. If we fail on that one the fan meltdown will be nasty.

You guys are so excited for what you perceive as bad news. It's almost inexplicable.
I think what you are seeing is frustration.

Cal continues to put all his eggs in the one-and-done basket, but he hasn’t landed the big fish since the '14 class. All he's getting are 2nd tier kids that need years of work, but only stay 1 year after they use UK.

If you're going to play this game, you better get the big fish and Cal continues to miss, but he continues to piss into the wind.

You can take shots at those that are calling a spade a spade if you want to, but it’s pretty disturbing when we're seeing Penny Hardaway take Cal's lunch like this. Now it looks like John Scheyer is going to do it too.

I think what you are seeing is frustration.

Cal continues to put all his eggs in the one-and-done basket, but he hasn’t landed the big fish since the '14 class. All he's getting are 2nd tier kids that need years of work, but only stay 1 year after they use UK.

If you're going to play this game, you better get the big fish and Cal continues to miss, but he continues to piss into the wind.

You can take shots at those that are calling a spade a spade if you want to, but it’s pretty disturbing when we're seeing Penny Hardaway take Cal's lunch like this. Now it looks like John Scheyer is going to do it too.
Valid point and I'm right there with you on most of it but Cal should also get credit for adjusting this off-season and improving the roster. It is frustrating no doubt looking at the roster duren would make it better and it's a miss. But duren going elsewhere won't kill this team like if Murray went to Oregon in 16 or Knox went to Duke in 18. Cal assembled the roster that most on this board were happy with in June. Then duren considered a reclass and Cal went all in. Maybe to a fault sure and definitely at the expense of Kofi. But I'd think Cal looked at them and thought duren is the better fit for team. Duren could play alongside any other big on our roster. With Kofi Cal could never play him and Oscar together so right off the bat your rotations are limited. Between the two if it came down to it I'd argue Cal made the right choice with only one spot left to go after duren.

Valid point and I'm right there with you on most of it but Cal should also get credit for adjusting this off-season and improving the roster. It is frustrating no doubt looking at the roster duren would make it better and it's a miss. But duren going elsewhere won't kill this team like if Murray went to Oregon in 16 or Knox went to Duke in 18. Cal assembled the roster that most on this board were happy with in June. Then duren considered a reclass and Cal went all in. Maybe to a fault sure and definitely at the expense of Kofi. But I'd think Cal looked at them and thought duren is the better fit for team. Duren could play alongside any other big on our roster. With Kofi Cal could never play him and Oscar together so right off the bat your rotations are limited. Between the two if it came down to it I'd argue Cal made the right choice with only one spot left to go after duren.
He should have been really sure he would get Duren first.Now he ends up with neither and it really hurts.Oscar was really poor in the games he played with West Virginia last season and we don't have a good backup at all.Just the very raw Ware/Collins.Not good.

Toppin, Brooks, and Hopkins better step up and in a big way. These guys need to be a problem for other teams. Rebound and be a threat on offense.

Right now, UK has Oscar, Ware, and Collins as bigs on the block. Only Oscar is a proven. Collins has huge upside but there will be time needed imo. Ware needs to become a solid contributor now. If Oscar has foul trouble or gets injured...oh my.

Backcourt seems to be the driving force on this team as of today. TyTy, Wheeler, Grady, Mintz need to be lights out. Hopefully CJ is healthy.

Everything related to Kofi and UK seems reeeeeally thinly sourced. I figure a lot of it is made up like most recruiting news.

Yeah we don't know what happened. Could be Cal wanted to wait for Duren, but I think there were questions about Kofi's fit from both sides.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The part I dont get.. we kind of already have our team. There isn't a lot of playing time as is. You can't just endlessly stack talent. At some point, you have enough guys and enough talent that there isn't room. Bates and Duren might legit not want to come here, even if we try for them.

Maybe we need to wait longer for the top talent (not that either of these guys were even an option two months ago?).. But then we might lock ourselves out of having a team. This is what so many people wanted: more experience, building teams earlier, less 1AD.

The G-League Ignite team plays in Memphis? Who knew.

Yeah doesn't Emoni have to play two collegiate years before he's eligible for the draft? Why the hell would you NOT go to the G-League?

Great talent, but hes a true mercenary. I bet he gives his college team just enough to help his brand/stock. Can't see him playing two years, and I'm not even sure he finishes his first.

Losing out on Duren isn't bad news?
All of this panic because Memphis got a future cast for Bates seems to be a bit over the top.
Yeah i think Cal and camp got some feelers out on Bates, offered a long time ago and seemingly back off before he first committed to Mich. ST. Cal and UK have not been linked to Bates for sometime. Who cares what this kid does. If its because of the supposed pairing talk between Bates and Duren its a bit of a premature uproar. NO? How many times have these so called pairings/teaming up come to fruition? Not very often. We all know this.
Duren decides in less than 2 days. Let it play out and see where he goes before having this f***ing meltdown.
Everything ive read about Duren and his possible destination is that it a coin toss between UK and Memphis. The Miami hype has since died down, NIL put a damper on going pro. Last thing i saw today was a recruiting analyst saying Durens camp has been very quiet not letting any leaks or info out, and up til this day thats been the case. Let it play out. If we get him great, if not thats ok too. 95% of you guys liked our team after what we thought was the final piece was added now its make or break if we dont add Duren?
What is it? Are we fine this year with the veteran laden team most of you have been bitching for or are we back to "Cal cant recruit anymore and Cal cant win without the cream of the crop?" Ala 2015.
FFS people,Cal is damned if he does and damned if he dont with most of you. Get what most have been begging for this year (with veterans and shooters) and now that you think we have lost another prized recruit (Duren) its Cal cant land the big fish anymore.

Duren is why I posted this. It’s been talked about for a few days that Bates and Duren are thinking about teaming up at Memphis. Cal didn’t take Kofi because he felt like he was landing Duren. Now he’s about to lose both it appears.
Cal didn't take Kofi because he didn't want Kofi.
Kofi is worse than what we have. If he were what you are pretending he would be in the league this week

Who cares if they do play together. There's not a chance they are better than Zion and RJ Barrett were. Those 2 guys Could dominate the game with the ball in their hand. Bates probably can but no way Duren can

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT