ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Commits

Whats the chances Ben Jordan ever plays for UK now that he has signed his letter of intent? Does signing papers make it more likely he plays for UK or is that just going through the process?

Whats the chances Ben Jordan ever plays for UK now that he has signed his letter of intent? Does signing papers make it more likely he plays for UK or is that just going through the process?
I don't believe that has any bearing on the likelihood that he actually attends Kentucky.

Thanks for the good story. Moreso than most sports, Kentucky really produces a lot of good baseball talent. Just keeping the best of that at UK will really help us to improve.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Hey @Derek Terry and @BluegrassBlake this thread is fantastic I appreciate you two staying on top of it. This might be way too much to ask but it would be awesome if there was asterisk next to guys that are likely to enter the draft. Again, I'm very appreciative of what you're doing but just a guess as to guys who might not ever make it to campus would be cool.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Hey @Derek Terry and @BluegrassBlake this thread is fantastic I appreciate you two staying on top of it. This might be way too much to ask but it would be awesome if there was asterisk next to guys that are likely to enter the draft. Again, I'm very appreciative of what you're doing but just a guess as to guys who might not ever make it to campus would be cool.
Thanks for the kind words. Right now the only one I think is basically a lock to go pro is Ben Jordan.

Reactions: Jdhays21
In addition to Jordan I think it's a possibility rhp Brad Dobzanski is drafted high enough to go pro. His brother was drafted by the Cardinals out of high school and signed with the organization.

Aaron Perry impressed a lot of people in Jupiter last fall but one person I talked to still expected him to go to school.

Reactions: Jdhays21
More on Brendan Koester: Jimmy Belanger played a big part in his commitment. Koester was throwing 86-88 in October with a good slider when the coaches saw him. He was on UK's radar, but now he's up to 92 with a plus slider. Made the coaches want to get him in the fold much quicker.

Kentucky has added a commitment from one of the top 2019 catchers. Jared Payne is from Pennsylvania and is top 100 in his class.

Reactions: parrott
Jones was supposed to visit Louisville today but won't visit after committing to Kentucky. Still a long way to go until he's even ready to sign, but as of now it looks like an impressive get.

Went ahead and had Justin sticky this to the top. I'll compile a complete list of every UK commitment from the 2017-20 class either today or tomorrow.

I can say the '17 class is pretty much done for now with the latest commitment from Kaden Polcovich. It'll be reevaluated when the draft gets closer.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I'll have more later this spring, but right now there are five arms to watch when it comes to the MLB draft this summer:
RHP Aaron Perry
RHP Zach Haake
RHP Ben Jordan
RHP Brad Dobzanski
RHP Eddie Freeman

This is subject to change obviously and more will be known after the spring evaluation, but if UK can get a few of those arms on campus then it will be in good shape.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Looks like UK commit Ben Jordan will have Tommy John Surgery. He was a big-time draft prospect, but doubt he gets drafted high now. Unfortunate for him to have TJ at this time of year. Doubt he'll be able to pitch next year even if he comes to UK.

So Cats could get him for 2 seasons? Wouldnt be bad for us - tough break for someone that young, even tougher decision to make.

So Cats could get him for 2 seasons? Wouldnt be bad for us - tough break for someone that young, even tougher decision to make.
This guy could have been and may still be big time. 6 foot 9 inches and throws almost 100mph. That is going to be hard as heck to hit and intimidating to boot. I know he throws a hammer, but not sure about his other pitches. In terms of getting him for two years... possible. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and how he bounces back. I am not sure many teams will want to take a chance on him this summer because he'll be in the middle of recovery, but some might see that big body and that big arm and grab him in a late round and throw some money at him. Hope he comes here, but there are other routes that might also get him there quicker.

One interesting thing is that we aren't adding too many lefties this upcoming year. Right now, returning we have Schaenzer, Smith, and Thompson on the roster. Then you add the big lefty Hawaiian Joseph Cantillo. We lose lefties Salow and Logue. We're trying to add 7 guys that are righties. In our park, I think it is always good to emphasize left handed pitching and get powerful left handed hitters. That changes in a couple of years, but it is interesting to see how recruiting is playing out. Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say that this philosophy is wrong or bad. Just found it interesting that there were so many right handed recruits to go along with 7 returning righties.

A few more JUCO commits to report. If anyone read the baseball notebook yesterday then they saw OF Ben Aklinkski committed to UK. Goes to Phoenix College, player of the year in the Arizona League.

Another JUCO who committed to UK, albeit for the 2018 class, is Dalton Reed. Corner/1B who leads all of juco baseball with home runs. His profile shows 23 home runs, but a source said he's up to 26 home runs.

I don't know if we are getting more JUCO players or if we are just actually talking about them more, but it certainly feels like we're getting more of them.

With HS players and the draft you have to go after the top talent and get them inked, and also understand that come June/July you might lose a few to the MLB draft. Happens more with pitchers than other positions due to how they project pitchers and look at velocity, current frame versus future frame, how efficient they throw... A scout would prefer a kid who throws 92 who is 6'4 and 185 versus a kid who is 6'1 and 225 throwing the same speed. One kid has potential to grow and add mph to his fastball while the other might be maxed out already and has a lower ceiling. JUCO guys are hit and miss, but the hits are usually ready to go day 1 if they come from places like Florida (Miami Dade/Indian River/Hillsborough/Santa Fe...) or California or Texas(San Jac)

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Dylan Rogers, an outfielder from South Carolina, committed tonight. He's ranked No. 71 overall in the 2019 class.

Also told UK got a commitment from a 2020 outfielder Houston King from Arkansas. Some big schools (Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss. St., etc.) were on him.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT