ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2024

Yea, that is going to hurt, but UK has a lot of guys that can plug into that outfield. Waldy was a lock to start in left, but I imagine he'll now have to fight to get that role back when he is healthy again. UK has had a bit of luck of sorts with how well and how quickly some guys have bounced back from injuries. Not lucky to get by the injury bug, but it has been very surprising how quickly some guys have returned after suffering an injury. Hopefully Waldy has the same type of experience with this.

Reactions: parrott
It will be interesting to see how things play out in 2024. On paper, we could be as good or better than a year ago. Added some power and it looks like this will be our best defense ever. We have regularly had some solid defensive numbers, but I think this team, especially in the infield, will be different. One could argue that we might end the season with as many as 3 gold glove contenders.

I think how much progression we get out of our pitchers will be key. Moore could be a Saturday or even Friday guy. Then how much better will Smith be? Getting at least two really solid guys on the weekend will go a long way. Then you can kind of play around with the third guy to find someone to give some solid innings. Roszel has worked some magic with the pitching staff, so I would expect them to be pretty solid once again regardless of how the chips fall.

I believe that Lee has now signed with Detroit. Seemingly that bumps Niman into the most likely candidate to grab that Sunday spot.

Also, there has not been much discussion on Klein. The guy will be the lock (IMO) to start at 1B in the spring. He is just 5'9, but is an absolute vaccum at first. I believe he committed 0 errors at the corner spot in 444 tries, which is absolutely unreal. He won a gold glove at Samford.

Reactions: parrott
Where does he fit in? DH? In with a chance to win the everyday 3B job, or more of a jack-of-all trades back-up for all the infield positions?
I think one of the things to keep in mind with all transfers is there is a lot of red tape you have to go through in regard to compliance and credits transferring, etc. I think you're going to see a lot of covering all the bases from most teams in terms of who they take if there is even a chance a kid might not be ruled eligible. Happened with Isaiah Byars last season.

UK will play in the Karbach Round Rock Classic early next year (Feb 23-25). Other teams are:

Washington State
Texas State
Kansas

Should have nice weather.

Texas State was pretty good last year. Washington State wasn't bad. Kansas had a losing season. Good early tests for the Cats.

Also just FYI:
Reed Gannon transferring to Illinois
Seth Logue transferring to Cincinnati

6.4 ERA last year in 28 innings.

The good:

28 strikeouts and just 8 walks in those 28.1 innings.

The bad:

Opponents hit .350 against him.

He gave up at least 1 hit in 14 of his 16 appearances. Gave up an earned run in 9 of those 16.

So, there is some good to work with. He will be a junior. Could take a big step forward between junior and senior years.

Most of the time it comes down to staff seeing something on film they can tweak or a spin rate, etc. that will play in the SEC when they take these guys. Prior ERAs isn't really a consideration. A good example is Guilfoil. He had a good ERA at Lipscomb but staff saw his disappearing fastball and saw all they needed to see, then turned him into an All-American.

Unfortunately the NCAA has ruled that Stephen Klein will not have another year of eligibility left. Tough news for the young man and for UK.

Hate to lose this guy.

As far as position players. My feeling is with growth from returners and the additions the offense and defense should be as good or better than last year.

Pitching remains to be seen but at least we have 2 of our best returning in Moore and T. Smith.

This team SHOULD be as good and maybe better than last year.

As you all know last years team was very competitive with the eventual National Champs LSU.

My way to early guess is 17-13 SEC top 8 RPI and host regional and super with #8 over all National seed. Gotta win early and the mid week games.

What do you guys think?

Can’t wait til next year!!!!!

Hope he still gets to come. Kids make mistakes. We all did. Give him a 2nd chance.

Always believed I learned more from mistakes than successes.

Think he needs to go to JUCO. Clean up his image and prove he's changed and then he can work his way back. If it were that he was underage drinking or using a fake id, I wouldn't bat an eye and would write it off as a dumb decision. But he drove, evaded police, and was seemingly driving recklessly in that effort. He put lives in danger. He's got a lot of work to do to earn that second chance.

Think he needs to go to JUCO. Clean up his image and prove he's changed and then he can work his way back. If it were that he was underage drinking or using a fake id, I wouldn't bat an eye and would write it off as a dumb decision. But he drove, evaded police, and was seemingly driving recklessly in that effort. He put lives in danger. He's got a lot of work to do to earn that second chance.
The charges aren't exactly representative of what actually happened but you still have to make an example, especially when it happens within hours of first team meeting where rules and expectations are laid out very clearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT