ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart sends strongly worded letter to Pac-12 about bowl officiating

End thought on this....
Kudos to Mitch.

Poor officiating has been rampant across the sports world. Unprofessional is the best way to put it.

The fact that an AD for a Power 5 school, one than has not that long ago been an AD of the year, one that has NEVER been at issue with the NCAA and has actually been on committees thinks this is serious enough to respond personally ( remember that this was not originally for public view)
Says a lot more than I think most of us realize at first glance.

I'm 60. I've NEVER heard of an AD going to battle for his players this way.

Can’t read through all the responses on here because I’m hammered and out of the country. But some asshat fan of ours will be pissed at MB because he farted in the wrong direction. You can’t fix asshattery. Good on you, Mitch, for publicly doing what you can do.

Between his public comments and this, Mitch's stock really just jumped with me. Same for Stoops. There is a professional way to go about it and both did. They don't need to do what we do on here, but to completely ignore it would have been equally detrimental. Thank you Mitch and Mark both for taking a stand publicly for our players and team.

Then what?

Military attack?

Threats of boycotting Birkenstocks?

What more can an SEC AD do to harass Left Coast athletics officials, that would prove more satisfying to you?

FAR the coa------no wait, FAR the official. I knew a PAC10 official, quit to take care of a sick father and lost out, VERY competitive job, don't sneeze, but of course experience counts a lot. Those guys make a LOT of money for their time, although they do fly in the night before the game and have hours long pregames.

AND it takes quite a few years of being VERY good to even get a shot.

Last edited:
Can’t read through all the responses on here because I’m hammered and out of the country. But some asshat fan of ours will be pissed at MB because he farted in the wrong direction. You can’t fix asshattery. Good on you, Mitch, for publicly doing what you can do.

Come back, we need more real fans. And drive careful, or you may never get back, or don't drive at all unless sober.

Excellent advice for everyone else also, I have a friend that got his second, a real killer. Lived about a quarter mile from the bar, but they do wait on you----- Once talked to an old timer that got a bunch of DUIs so he drove to the bar on his tractor, got one on it too. Not NEARLY as serious in those days, he was in Bull Halsey's navy, hated him said he lost a LOT of lives keeping the fleet out in a typhoon, also said his father was a millionaire and he himself bought 6000 acres when no one was here after the war when it was being given away, said his dad said any son of his dumb enough to buy land in this God forsaken place he would disown.

And he did, according to him. Seemed very believable, but we both had a beer or two-----or three----or maybe four----back in the old days.

FAR the coa------no wait, FAR the official. I knew a PAC10 official, quit to take care of a sick father and lost out, VERY competitive job, don't sneeze, but of course experience counts a lot. Those guys make a LOT of money for their time, although they do fly in the night before the game and have hours long pregames.

AND it takes quite a few years of being VERY good to even get a shot. And of course you do need to start out perfect-----and improve from there.

I would bet you money deep down he wishes he had never accepted this assignment.

I don't know if he even reads this or has any of his staff (maybe BD) read it but if he does and what you say is true I would have been dead ten years ago, and at my age it would only take a little nudge, lol.

I did like his response though, and he has done a few things right lately, not that I am sure he had much choice.

The huge buyout wasn't one of them though, I understand the competition but something is crazy wrong when you give someone like Slick Rick a $45,000,000 buyout for failing at his job. And in that case I think there is a very strong case that it was criminally wrong, I think the FBI needs to get involved in that also, pretty obvious that Transfer U or the local police departments will never do anything about it. How long do you think it will be before the shooters in a room full of people in a limited access camera protected apartment complex will face charges?

News flash: Rick is not here.
Yet you say nothing about the extensions and raises in CMS contract. Huh?

I think Barney should make that Official sit out the first half of game #1, 2018 in the South-EZ penalty box. The Pac 12, sure as hell won't do $hit...

Officiating across the board has gotten out of hand. Northwestern got screwed as many times as we did in that game, and there were plenty of other bowls that were marred by bad calls.

Kudos to MB for stepping up and saying something. I hope he doesn't stop there and follows through publicly or privately with some sort of action. Maybe he can get with other ADs who fill the same way he does and they can all present some suggestions to improve officiating.

Reactions: rmndcat
Thank you Mitch for standing up for Benny, Stephen and our entire football program. At this level, incompetence should be called out and scrutinized to the fullest. That entire crew was ridiculously horrible from start to finish.

I paid good money to see the best players play in the MCB, not a referee crew grand stand, eject the best players and allow our QB to become injured.

The White Hat should NEVER be able to call another UK game. If the PAC 12 wants to keep him, just shows why they struggle at a national level.

Mitch handled it about as well as one could, IMO. Bravo.

The letter even gives some info not previously publicly available about the line judge, who he calls out by name (Tim Messuri), spouting off to UK's bench after the crew totally bungled the situation when Johnson was hit late and out of bounds and refused to stop play. Sounds like that guy's temperament is as ill-equipped for a power 5 football official as Coyte's is, which is quite an indictment.

Yeah, the line judge's incompetence was right on par with Coyte's. Not only did he miss the personal foul call on Stevie, but he compounded the blown call when he failed to realize Stevie was injured and UK needed an injury timeout. Then to make matters worse, his thin skin led him to throw a flag when Randolph hurt his feelings. When you screw up your job as badly as Messuri did in an emotionally charged sport, yeah, people are going to let you know about it. If this clown had simply done his job, UK would have had a 1st & 10 at the NW 13. Instead, his multiple screwups left UK with a 4th and 20 from the NW 43 and punting. This dude should be suspended for the 1st half of the 2018 season.

Yeah, the line judge's incompetence was right on par with Coyte's. Not only did he miss the personal foul call on Stevie, but he compounded the blown call when he failed to realize Stevie was injured and UK needed an injury timeout. Then to make matters worse, his thin skin led him to throw a flag when Randolph hurt his feelings. When you screw up your job as badly as Messuri did in an emotionally charged sport, yeah, people are going to let you know about it. If this clown had simply done his job, UK would have had a 1st & 10 at the NW 13. Instead, his multiple screwups left UK with a 4th and 20 from the NW 43 and punting. This dude should be suspended for the 1st half of the 2018 season.
Yes!!!

Officiating across the board has gotten out of hand. Northwestern got screwed as many times as we did in that game, and there were plenty of other bowls that were marred by bad calls.

Kudos to MB for stepping up and saying something. I hope he doesn't stop there and follows through publicly or privately with some sort of action. Maybe he can get with other ADs who fill the same way he does and they can all present some suggestions to improve officiating.

Comleteley false...northwestern didn't get one major call screwing.

Their player that got ejected, by the latter of the rule, should have been. That was the ONLY controversial call..and it was the right call as he led with the crown of his helmet.

Meanwhile, we got a penalty that took 3 points away. Pur best player wrongly kicked out and the refs taunted our whole sideline.

Some purple goggles you got on.

Their player that got ejected, by the latter of the rule, should have been. That was the ONLY controversial call..and it was the right call as he led with the crown of his helmet.

Meanwhile, we got a penalty that took 3 points away. Pur best player wrongly kicked out and the refs taunted our whole sideline.

By the "latter of the rule" then Benny was rightfully ejected as well.

From the NCAA rule book...
Contacting an Official

ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules (Rule 1-1-6) shall not intentionally contact a game official forcibly during the game.

Of course "forcibly" is a matter of judgment. Benny did grab the wrist of the official and removed them from where the official was trying to help Benny up. He used force...very little force but it was force and thus it was "forcibly". Of course the intent of the rule is to protect the official but judgment has to be used.

Try taking off your blue goggles and get a clear perspective.

Then what?

Military attack?

Threats of boycotting Birkenstocks?

What more can an SEC AD do to harass Left Coast athletics officials, that would prove more satisfying to you?

My letter would have said in quote, “with global warming experiencing all time highs, we have partnered with Hattiesburg MS and will be sending the most hellish humidity to the PAC 12 for the next 3 years. One year for every quarter Benny was ejected” :cheers2:

I liked your post because you’re hammered :beer:

Their LB should not have been ejected for targeting...let's be fair, but the deal with SJ and BS was totally bogus.

Come back, we need more real fans. And drive careful, or you may never get back, or don't drive at all unless sober.

Excellent advice for everyone else also, I have a friend that got his second, a real killer. Lived about a quarter mile from the bar, but they do wait on you----- Once talked to an old timer that got a bunch of DUIs so he drove to the bar on his tractor, got one on it too. Not NEARLY as serious in those days, he was in Bull Halsey's navy, hated him said he lost a LOT of lives keeping the fleet out in a typhoon, also said his father was a millionaire and he himself bought 6000 acres when no one was here after the war when it was being given away, said his dad said any son of his dumb enough to buy land in this God forsaken place he would disown.

And he did, according to him. Seemed very believable, but we both had a beer or two-----or three----or maybe four----back in the old days.

Bulls run Jauk :beer:

I followed UK football for a long time. I'm not a close friend of Mitch but had three conversations with him about our football program over the years. Found him approachable, attentive, polite, and felt he appreciated my interest. He's a Christian and that is important to me. Only other UK a.d. I visited and felt football was a priority was Bernie Shively.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
My letter would have said in quote, “with global warming experiencing all time highs, we have partnered with Hattiesburg MS and will be sending the most hellish humidity to the PAC 12 for the next 3 years. One year for every quarter Benny was ejected” :cheers2:

Yea, verily, I cast to the Left Coast the lead-smelting, blacktop-melting, heat-and-humidity of Southern Mississippi in early September.

Me thinks mere acts of violence would have been more civilized than such a curse.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn

……….and then fired.

Reactions: JDHoss

Contacting an Official

ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules (Rule 1-1-6) shall not intentionally contact a game official forcibly during the game.

Of course "forcibly" is a matter of judgment. Benny did grab the wrist of the official and removed them from where the official was trying to help Benny up. He used force...very little force but it was force and thus it was "forcibly". Of course the intent of the rule is to protect the official but judgment has to be used.

To be blunt, that is a stupid take. Any contact requires "force". It's simple physics. The term "forcibly" was meant to control any aggressive contact with an official. In this case, the official put his hands on Benny. He had no right to invade Benny's space. Benny moved the officials hands. He had every right to do so.

Their LB should not have been ejected for targeting...let's be fair, but the deal with SJ and BS was totally bogus.

When you lead with the crown of your helmet it's targeting. Saw the same exact thing happen with a guy who hit the receiver In the thigh.

It's hard to comprehend why people can't understand you CANT MAKE CONTSCT WITH THE CROWN OF YOUR HELMET...period. end of discussion

Reactions: Dallas-Wild

Contacting an Official

Except for the fact that the official Initiated said contact. And it was far from forcibly. We get it, you want everyont to get a trophy.

You can't lead with the crown of your helmet. There is zero leeway. None. Zilch. The rule is in place yo protect the tackler as much as the tacklee. It's not hard to understand.

Have you worn a helmet? Do you know what the crown is? Do you understand this used to be called spearing? It's not the same thing as hitting a defenseless receiver. YOU CAN'T INITIATE CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF YOUR HELMET.

If you want to argue the rule, fine. But this isn't a judgement call. He led with the crown of his helmet. Period.

Try taking your welching glasses off.

Now @fuzz77 and slugger

With your newfound knowledge of the rules, tell me.. in this video, what does the northwestern player first make contact with?

So yes fuzz, again.. your football takes are as, if not worse than your life outlook and your honor as a man. Welcher

Now @fuzz77 and slugger

With your newfound knowledge of the rules, tell me.. in this video, what does the northwestern player first make contact with?

So yes fuzz, again.. your football takes are as, if not worse than your life outlook and your honor as a man. Welcher

Had King not jumped due to other tackler, he would have been hit straight in the head by crown of helmet.

To be blunt, that is a stupid take. Any contact requires "force". It's simple physics. The term "forcibly" was meant to control any aggressive contact with an official. In this case, the official put his hands on Benny. He had no right to invade Benny's space. Benny moved the officials hands. He had every right to do so.
Of course it was a stupid take; it's from Fuzz. The very night that it happened, I predicted that Fuzz, the smartest guy in the room, and the only adult in the room, would zoom to the defense of this ludicrous ejection, because that's the kind of thing that he always does. I was wrong about the timing, but he didn't let me down.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
News flash: Rick is not here.
Yet you say nothing about the extensions and raises in CMS contract. Huh?

GEez, thanks for the heads up, not sure I would have ever found out otherwise.

I don't really agree with the extensions but I do see the reasoning behind them-------to assure prospects that really like STOOPS and his staff that he is going to be here a while. And while the buyouts are much more stupid IMO the same reasoning applies.

Slick Rick's buyout is outrageous, $45,000,000, how can anyone justify that? But it is similar to the $500,000 bonus to BP for meeting the minimum APR when the normal bonus is $50,000 AND he had little to do with it. I wonder how much he had to fork out to hurtt (AND the recruits) for him to get the NROTY a thousand miles away from the beaches and concentration of talent around Miami? Over half the commits that year from Florida and ALL the four stars from Miami.

In fact I think jurich is the only one with enough influence and clout to arrange classes etc to get a bunch of players that have a history of being kicked out of other schools AND that have to go the JC route because they can't qualify out of high school get awards for an outrageous APR.

But all you "fans" keep up your negativity and dissing of our coaches, you can negate those millions if you try hard enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldtrainer
Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
I read his letter.

I didn't see any 'strong words.' Unless you count naming names of the officials.

The tone of the letter is more 'hat in hand' and 'disappointed' than angry.

The fact that he wrote the letter at all is a positive, however.

I read his letter.

I didn't see any 'strong words.' Unless you count naming names of the officials.

The tone of the letter is more 'hat in hand' and 'disappointed' than angry.

The fact that he wrote the letter at all is a positive, however.
The tone of Barnhart's letter is diplomatic but clear, just as it should be. He hit the right note.

Reactions: NavyCat88
Except for the fact that the official Initiated said contact. And it was far from forcibly. We get it, you want everyont to get a trophy.

You can't lead with the crown of your helmet. There is zero leeway. None. Zilch. The rule is in place yo protect the tackler as much as the tacklee. It's not hard to understand.

Have you worn a helmet? Do you know what the crown is? Do you understand this used to be called spearing? It's not the same thing as hitting a defenseless receiver. YOU CAN'T INITIATE CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF YOUR HELMET.

If you want to argue the rule, fine. But this isn't a judgement call. He led with the crown of his helmet. Period.

Try taking your welching glasses off.
1) there is no rule against the official making contact.
2) the official "contacted" Benny's arm, Benny contacted the official's wrist.
3) there is no definition of how much force is required to be determined "forcibly"
4) you obviously missed the sarcasm, perhaps it flew over your head. To clear it up for you, the call was ridiculous but you were the one that brought the "latter of the rule" into the conversation.
5) speaking of the "latter of the rule" it is also against the rules for the ball carrier to lead with the crown of their helmet but you never see that call made.
6) Yeah, I've worn a helmet or two. Had offers to play DII football and D1 baseball out of high school, went with baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT