ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart sends strongly worded letter to Pac-12 about bowl officiating

I'll bet there is more then just a letter. We will see how many pac 12 officials work SEC involved games.

Reactions: childe
Mitch took some heat right after the game for not speaking out, but IMO he did the smart thing. Instead of popping off based on what he saw, and possibly sticking his foot in his mouth, he waited to get all the facts in, talk to the coaches and find out all the details of what went on, who said what to who etc. Then made his case in a strong condemning fashion.

It's is highly usual for an AD to make a statement about officiating in this manner, in fact I cannot recall such an incident in the past, but the circumstances warranted Mitch's comments and say what you want put it puts a lot of pressure on the P12 to fix their problem, and it also puts these official under a microscope for future games, if in fact the are given future games.

Go Mitch!!!

Makes me think more of him, the link did not have the letter though, I would like to read the whole thing

Reactions: DACats86
"Strongly worded letter". That'll have about as much impact as unliking them on facebook I imagine.

I agree that the letter will do little good, but Mitch can't catch a break. Early on, he caught flack because he had done or said nothing. Now he catches flack because he did something, but the implication is that what he did is useless.

Mitch's and Stoops' speaking out did nothing to change opinions about them. I said in an earlier post that would be the case if they spoke out.

Some folks are unbelievable. So what’s Mitch supposed to do? Go on TV with some wild profanity laced rant? Threaten that they’re going to be sleeping with the fishes?!?! He handled it professionally which is what he should do. The only thing I would’ve done had I been Stoops was continue playing the game but under protest.

I agree that the letter will do little good, but Mitch can't catch a break. Early on, he caught flack because he had done or said nothing. Now he catches flack because he did something, but the implication is that what he did is useless.

Mitch's and Stoops' speaking out did nothing to change opinions about them. I said in an earlier post that would be the case if they spoke out.

You're correct, no matter what either does some will bitch and moan.

Nothing will change their attitudes or hate.

To piss off Mitch Barnhart is to court death.

I don't know if he even reads this or has any of his staff (maybe BD) read it but if he does and what you say is true I would have been dead ten years ago, and at my age it would only take a little nudge, lol.

I did like his response though, and he has done a few things right lately, not that I am sure he had much choice.

The huge buyout wasn't one of them though, I understand the competition but something is crazy wrong when you give someone like Slick Rick a $45,000,000 buyout for failing at his job. And in that case I think there is a very strong case that it was criminally wrong, I think the FBI needs to get involved in that also, pretty obvious that Transfer U or the local police departments will never do anything about it. How long do you think it will be before the shooters in a room full of people in a limited access camera protected apartment complex will face charges?

Last edited:
OWkQ_f-maxage-0.gif

Really a fine move. It can't hurt the team and can't bring down the rather of the NCAA.
For a variety of reasons, a lot of the base had the belief that Mitch was the same kind of AD as Howard on Coach....a paper pusher and yes man for whoever pushed the button and never one to rock a boat.

Should give a boost to the players, and should be a fine boost to MBs perceived image.

Glad he did it.
Lol......also glad someone, somewhere somehow gave the heads up to use the information act to make this public.

Funny how that happens sometimes.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
"Strongly worded letter". That'll have about as much impact as unliking them on facebook I imagine.

I’m positive the PAC 12 will be terrified after digesting to contents of the letter :beer:

Then what?

Military attack?

Threats of boycotting Birkenstocks?

What more can an SEC AD do to harass Left Coast athletics officials, that would prove more satisfying to you?

Some folks are unbelievable. So what’s Mitch supposed to do? Go on TV with some wild profanity laced rant? Threaten that they’re going to be sleeping with the fishes?!?! He handled it professionally which is what he should do. The only thing I would’ve done had I been Stoops was continue playing the game but under protest.

You're correct, no matter what either does some will bitch and moan.

Nothing will change their attitudes or hate.

my god.. talk about over reaction and wanting to see drama when there simply is none.

there was literally one person who said it would do nothing. he also said he was glad he did it.

there were about 15 people that said he did the right thing along with numerous who said mitch took a step up or they perceived him better,

man, this is more embellishment than my wife and kids do.

bravo mitch barnhart,,,,well done.

Reactions: entropy13
:joy:
my god.. talk about over reaction and wanting to see drama when there simply is none.

there was literally one person who said it would do nothing. he also said he was glad he did it.

there were about 15 people that said he did the right thing along with numerous who said mitch took a step up or they perceived him better,

man, this is more embellishment than my wife and kids do.

bravo mitch barnhart,,,,well done.

Talk about over reacting.

To be sure, I have been critical of AD in the past.

That being said, this is a measured & professional move on AD's part to let future officials know he is willing to challenge them publicly for gross poor judgment on their part. It is analogous to bloodying the bully's nose so he thinks twice about messing with you again.

Nothing will happen, but the team and coaching staff (and the fans to a lesser degree) will recognize the AD is dialed in and willing to weigh in.

Nice job AD.

GBB!

To be sure, I have been critical of AD in the past.

That being said, this is a measured & professional move on AD's part to let future officials know he is willing to challenge them publicly for gross poor judgment on their part. It is analogous to bloodying the bully's nose so he thinks twice about messing with you again.

Nothing will happen, but the team and coaching staff (and the fans to a lesser degree) will recognize the AD is dialed in and willing to weigh in.

Nice job AD.

GBB!

:100points:

MB handled this in a very professional, factual way. The letter was precise and appropriate to the situation. The PAC 12 crew was out of line and acted very unprofessionally if those comments were indeed made to the UK coaching staff as they were attending to an injured player.

Glad he did this and published the letter. I just hope it is addressed and remedied for future games.

Glad I read it, had no clue that happened with the line judge during the game.

Let me clarify, had no idea the line judge said that to our staff.

For those that did not read the actual letter, do so.
I had no idea that the line judge took that approach with the team. Horrible lack of professionalism on his part. Almost taunting our coaches and players with the "You want some more of this" garbage.

Mitch handled it about as well as one could, IMO. Bravo.

The letter even gives some info not previously publicly available about the line judge, who he calls out by name (Tim Messuri), spouting off to UK's bench after the crew totally bungled the situation when Johnson was hit late and out of bounds and refused to stop play. Sounds like that guy's temperament is as ill-equipped for a power 5 football official as Coyte's is, which is quite an indictment.

ADVERTISEMENT