ADVERTISEMENT

Barney has to go.

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
It’s real simple. He built our fb program from terrible to average at the cost of our championship basketball program. I love UK fb but what’s defined our athletics is basketball success. Extreme success. Something UK fb could never bring us. It’s nearly impossible for UK to compete for an sec title now in fb. We haven’t even been to a ny6 yet this clown at AD sinks our bb program and has used his philosophy with our fb coach the 10th highest paid in the game. You can’t make this up. The last two years of fb have been subpar. I mean it’s time for all uk fb bb or whatever fans to stand shoulder to shoulder and demand Barney go. You don’t get to spend big for mediocrity and keep the job. You don’t get and give mulligan after mulligan on coaching hires and keep your job the way the man has. We need bbn to come together to oust this guy. It’s about 7 years too long for him at uk. We need a unified movement to hold the man accountable who gave cal this ridiculous contract that has ripple effects through all programs.

Basketball isn't sucking because of Football.
Basketball sucks because Mr dumb dumb either is too loyal to certain players, actually don't know what he's doing, and/or tries to prove a point to the fans and causes the detriment of the team.

The two are not synonymous basketball can win even though football is making a come up. Football has taken nothing from basketball.

Last edited:
Basketball isn't sucking because of Football.
Basketball sucks because Mr dumb dumb either is too loyal to certain players, actually don't know what he's doing, and tries to prove a point to the fans and causes the detriment of the team.

The two are not synonymous basketball can win even though football is making a come up. Football has taken nothing from basketball.
UK basketball sucks right now because our ad gave our underachieving coach a terrible contract. The only reason Barney continues to be employed are because the football team is average and makes bowl games. So yes one has to do with the other. If fb went a couple losing seasons we’d all be United. Read the tea leaves.

Classic. Blaming FB for the basketballs faults... Get some new material.
It’s not blaming football it’s trying to get to a consensus between the two sports that this school needs a new ad. Alabama is proving its possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. Barney is incapable of it.

UK fans of both sports should demand better. Hell barney has created a situation where if he did what was needed and get rid of cal fb fans will be blaming basketball. I mean when cal is finally let go fb fans will blame bb for buying that contract out. I’m saying it isn’t fb or bb that’s the problem rather our very generous lazy ad who just gave our women’s bb coach a contract extension but fired her a year later. The ad who gave cal a lifetime deal the same guy who has over paid to keep stoops around. Everyone should demand this guy go. There are plenty of people out there who can restore uk bb tradition and help fb take the next step.

It’s not blaming football it’s trying to get to a consensus between the two sports that this school needs a new ad. Alabama is proving its possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. Barney is incapable of it.
It’s real simple. He built our fb program from terrible to average at the cost of our championship basketball program
You literally said it in the first sentence of your OP

UK basketball sucks right now because our ad gave our underachieving coach a terrible contract. The only reason Barney continues to be employed are because the football team is average and makes bowl games. So yes one has to do with the other. If fb went a couple losing seasons we’d all be United. Read the tea leaves.
To be fair when that contract was extended Cal and UK was at the top of the world with people trying to come for Cal every year.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
It’s real simple. He built our fb program from terrible to average at the cost of our championship basketball program. I love UK fb but what’s defined our athletics is basketball success. Extreme success. Something UK fb could never bring us. It’s nearly impossible for UK to compete for an sec title now in fb. We haven’t even been to a ny6 yet this clown at AD sinks our bb program and has used his philosophy with our fb coach the 10th highest paid in the game. You can’t make this up. The last two years of fb have been subpar. I mean it’s time for all uk fb bb or whatever fans to stand shoulder to shoulder and demand Barney go. You don’t get to spend big for mediocrity and keep the job. You don’t get and give mulligan after mulligan on coaching hires and keep your job the way the man has. We need bbn to come together to oust this guy. It’s about 7 years too long for him at uk. We need a unified movement to hold the man accountable who gave cal this ridiculous contract that has ripple effects through all programs.

giphy.gif

The crazy thing about barnys tenure with football is the most savvy self guided decision he made was not vastly overpaying guy morris. Everything else fell into his lap and he only fired joker when he had literally zero option. Left to him, joker would've been there next season and who knows how much longer.

Your mistake is thinking he is the Badketball director, he is the Athletic director responsible for the entire program, not one sport. He didn't give the basketball a contract that wasn't approve my the president. The most popular name I saw was the Bama coach, who has an 18m buyout, add that to Cal's and you are looking at near 60m for a head BB coach. UK certainly has the money, but doesn't look like they were willing to hurt the other sports teams. Barnhart is one of the better ADs in the conference.

Your mistake is thinking he is the Badketball director, he is the Athletic director responsible for the entire program, not one sport. He didn't give the basketball a contract that wasn't approve my the president. The most popular name I saw was the Bama coach, who has an 18m buyout, add that to Cal's and you are looking at near 60m for a head BB coach. UK certainly has the money, but doesn't look like they were willing to hurt the other sports teams. Barnhart is one of the better ADs in the conference.
The president of our university is a bama graduate. He has no roots in Kentucky Barney neither. Your school has a president who grew up in Georgia and went to UGA. And I understand his job but at UK the primary job is to maintain the basketball winning tradition the way at UGA is to maintain your football tradition. These are the first things that must be done by an ad at UK. This ad is tone deaf on the issue. And to boot our fb program is sliding after never even reaching a ny6. Now I’m ok with that but not at the expense of our bb program therefore we need an AD who understands the expectations of success for the basketball program for the state. Our basketball program is the representative of sports in Kentucky. There are no pro teams. The dynamics are different and when football is losing the fans won’t show. When basketball loses fans who never had a chance to afford seat will travel from pikeville or Paducah to keep rupp packed for big games and sec. The basketball program has to be fixed barney needs to go. We need the football the primarily football fans to get on board and not be afraid of an AD who may be more centric on basketball early on. No one cares about tennis or gymnastics all of that takes care of itself. But at the university of Kentucky to allow what has happened the AD Barney needs to pay the price for his awful decisions.

The crazy thing about barnys tenure with football is the most savvy self guided decision he made was not vastly overpaying guy morris. Everything else fell into his lap and he only fired joker when he had literally zero option. Left to him, joker would've been there next season and who knows how much longer.
Stoops went to Barney for the job. You’re right it’s all fallen in his lap. You’ve gotta be a special king of incompetent to do what has been done to uk basketball in his tenure. 3 tournament misses and the worst season in 100 years. If that happened at UGA or Alabama football he would have been gone after we went 9-15 on the heels of that contract. The longer he lingers the more hard across the board. Like you said about joker he would have given him more time. The two worst hires in both sports in UK history happened with Barney joker and Bcg.

The BB situation has nothing to do with football. We pay our coach more than anybody else does. He’s just crapping the bed right now.
It does because when Barney is finally gone it will greatly affect football the next ad. It’s better the two come to a consensus Barney needs to go and accept some realities here. Uk bb needs to be fixed. It’s the face of the brand because it’s synonymous with titles.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
The president of our university is a bama graduate. He has no roots in Kentucky Barney neither. Your school has a president who grew up in Georgia and went to UGA. And I understand his job but at UK the primary job is to maintain the basketball winning tradition the way at UGA is to maintain your football tradition. These are the first things that must be done by an ad at UK. This ad is tone deaf on the issue. And to boot our fb program is sliding after never even reaching a ny6. Now I’m ok with that but not at the expense of our bb program therefore we need an AD who understands the expectations of success for the basketball program for the state. Our basketball program is the representative of sports in Kentucky. There are no pro teams. The dynamics are different and when football is losing the fans won’t show. When basketball loses fans who never had a chance to afford seat will travel from pikeville or Paducah to keep rupp packed for big games and sec. The basketball program has to be fixed barney needs to go. We need the football the primarily football fans to get on board and not be afraid of an AD who may be more centric on basketball early on. No one cares about tennis or gymnastics all of that takes care of itself. But at the university of Kentucky to allow what has happened the AD Barney needs to pay the price for his awful decisions.

The AD iUGA is marginal at best, he hasn't made a good hire yet, he didn't hire Kirby and I would gladly swap him for Barnhart. The president graduated law school at UGA but didn't attend undergraduate there. But once again Barnheart is the Athletic director over all programs. His job is to lead all the sports programs, not someone's favorite. Spending the money to hire a coach that would make UK fans happy like Oats carries a 60m price tag with salary and buyouts. Thats' irresponsible unless some booster is going to foot the bill.

Another thing, why are you on the FB board bitching about Barney being only a FBAD, that is funny... Barney's job "in tales all sports"... Some fans of just either have a hard time remembering that... I have at time myself... I want Barney replaced with a high school AD.... Or a fan who knows more than he does, lol...

GBB

The AD iUGA is marginal at best, he hasn't made a good hire yet, he didn't hire Kirby and I would gladly swap him for Barnhart. The president graduated law school at UGA but didn't attend undergraduate there. But once again Barnheart is the Athletic director over all programs. His job is to lead all the sports programs, not someone's favorite. Spending the money to hire a coach that would make UK fans happy like Oats carries a 60m price tag with salary and buyouts. Thats' irresponsible unless some booster is going to foot the bill.
You know you’re right that’s why I’m on the fb board. There needs a consensus to move on from a guy who has made terrible hires and handed out big contracts like chicklets. This guy gave cal a ridiculous contract. You don’t hand out that kind of deal unless you have to money to get out of it. Barney’s actions aren’t in line with “treating all equal”. He pays more for a bb head coach the last 4 years double what the second highest coach was making at KU until self was extended this year. He overpaid for cal he’s over paid for stoops.

Btw I looked up your ad who hired Kirby and the man was born in Athens. Everything in your program and school is hometown. They get it. UK has failed at bringing in talented people from its alma mater to run things. These people are all out of touch with the tradition. I mean if kirby had a losing season and 3 consecutive subpar seasons (massively) well he’d be out after year 3. Why is UK bb different from the standards for UGA fb?

No one cares about tennis or gymnastics all of that takes care of itself.
Well, I guess some care, but neither tennis or gymnastics “takes care of itself (sic),” anymore than does soccer, at UK.

Football takes care of itself, soccer, gymnastics, tennis, rifle, baseball, softball, women’s basketball, etc., etc. And Men’s basketball turns a healthy profit too.

As I did on another lengthy thread, I ask for the numbers: cite me solid numbers of lost revenue the last 4 or 5 sub-par basketball seasons showing the necessity of firing Cal, along with tens of milllions of buyout.

Don’t spout more opinion, show me in dollars and cents from open public resources the financial cost to the University from floundering basketball the last 5 years.

If we are bleeding serious dollars, you might get a consensus.

Otherwise, I would note that other Coaches at major basketball programs have gone through droughts in NCAA success. Coach K had a nervous breakdown during a losing season at Duke in the 90’s, and used a spurious claim of residual health issues to hide out for a period of time. UNC and Kansas have had their share of early tourney exits.

In a season with 23 wins, and a second place regular season finish in a tough and deep SEC, with the second-ranked incoming freshman class on its way, firing Cal would not have magically landed a miracle worker. It would likely have opened a path to U of L for Cal, with a ton of de-commits/transfers, and rubbing our noses in it for half-a-decade. “Got Cal?” would have been Jefferson County’s favorite bumper sticker.

Cal might not pull this out, but getting rid of Barnhart does nothing more than create another buyout of a contract, when we are still potentially on the hook next year for 20+ million, if we have to can Cal, then. But at least it ain’t 34 million!

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueTick2
Well, I guess some care, but neither tennis or gymnastics “takes care of itself (sic),” anymore than does soccer, at UK.

Football takes care of itself, soccer, gymnastics, tennis, rifle, baseball, softball, women’s basketball, etc., etc. And Men’s basketball turns a healthy profit too.

As I did on another lengthy thread, I ask for the numbers: cite me solid numbers of lost revenue the last 4 or 5 sub-par basketball seasons showing the necessity of firing Cal, along with tens of milllions of buyout.

Don’t spout more opinion, show me in dollars and cents from open public resources the financial cost to the University from floundering basketball the last 5 years.

Otherwise, I would note that other Coaches at major basketball programs have gone through droughts in NCAA success. Coach K had a nervous breakdown during a losing season at Duke in the 90’s, and used a spurious claim of residual health issues to hide out for a period of time. UNC and Kansas have had their share of early tourney exits.

In a season with 23 wins, and a second place regular season finish in a tough and deep SEC, with the second-ranked incoming freshman class on its way, firing Cal would not have magically landed a miracle worker. It would likely have opened a path to U of L for Cal, with a ton of de-commits/transfers, and rubbing our noses in it for half-a-decade. “Got Cal?” would have been Jefferson County’s favorite bumper sticker.

Cal might not pull this out, but getting rid of Barnhart does nothing more than create another buyout of a contract, when we are still potentially on the hook next year for 20+ million, if we have to can Cal, then. But at least it ain’t 34 million!
You obviously can’t handle my posts so stop replying it’s that simple. You’re part of the problem you and your love for Barney. Get rid of the man. It will cost 1 million. Bring in someone connected to the school this money money garbage the money will be there barney or no Barney. Times have changed and he’s reaped the rewards with college becoming bigger and bigger money the last 20 years.

See not having a love for the bb program those fb fans are used to low expectations so average seasons are ok. Not for the bb program. It’s never been ok. Uk bb is the UGA or bama of cbb and neither of those programs would retain a severely underperforming coach like cal.

Last edited:

The man who does the hiring and firing has failed. The man who put a napkin on a contract for a drunk and gives an underperforming coach a lifetime deal. The man who hired joker and was deer in the headlights when we hired stoops that guy has to go. It doesn’t matter who the ad is the money will be there. But from a tradition perspective this man has killed our basketball program. I know you’re insufferable about fb. But most Kentuckians really don’t care for football. It’s the uk bb team that gives us an identity. Without it UK is the university of Nevada or and Ohio in sports. Maybe a Marshall. I know you’ll never wrap your head around that but it’s truth. Every year that goes by without a win in March is another daggar in ukathletics as a whole.

No our bb program was in decline when that extension was given. We had just lost in 3 consecutive years to lower seeds in the tournament. There was zero reason to dish out a contract like that.
Football brings in all of the money. Basketball breaks even at best. Football supports all sports expect basketball. Without football there would be no basketball team or UKAA. The UKAA would be broke! ESPN are rewarding these big contracts because of football not basketball. Basketball is a declining sport.

First, we still have the largest bb budget in the country. Second, football still doesn't get the amount of money it should relative to our budget size. We essentially overspend on FB coaching and underspend on other FB resources to leave us behind where our overall budget capacity is. He overspends in secondary sports, women's sports etc. He gets celebrated for building those but they get good resources relative to their sports. His issues are the decisions he's made and he is uber averse to change in an environment where the environment is evolving by the minute. Extra long term coach contracts and just general aversion to adaptation are problems. Our fb and bb coach seem to be hoping to adapt to the new environment by trying to recreate past formulas, past staffs, etc....I mean, it's laughable to listen to them try to pawn off in that interview that it's tougher to roster build at KY because we have good players, than other places because the decision timelines. These guys either buy their own lies or they actually think that which is insane. Teams left and right are winning that had just a few returners if any. You have to be smart and have a plan to be successful now. No more just winging it for Cal and I don't think he's capable of getting organized and thoughtful. Coaching is very cerebral now. They get paid tons of money to figure it out and they haven't.

You know you’re right that’s why I’m on the fb board. There needs a consensus to move on from a guy who has made terrible hires and handed out big contracts like chicklets. This guy gave cal a ridiculous contract. You don’t hand out that kind of deal unless you have to money to get out of it. Barney’s actions aren’t in line with “treating all equal”. He pays more for a bb head coach the last 4 years double what the second highest coach was making at KU until self was extended this year. He overpaid for cal he’s over paid for stoops.

Btw I looked up your ad who hired Kirby and the man was born in Athens. Everything in your program and school is hometown. They get it. UK has failed at bringing in talented people from its alma mater to run things. These people are all out of touch with the tradition. I mean if kirby had a losing season and 3 consecutive subpar seasons (massively) well he’d be out after year 3. Why is UK bb different from the standards for UGA fb?
You are so full of shit, it’s pouring out your ears. That’s NOT the job of an AD.

That AD had nothing to do with hiring Kirby, he wanted Dan Mullen and did his best to sabatoge getting Kirby, he spent 20+ years counting tickets at UF. Just because he is an alumni doesn't mean he is good at his job. Kirby has bought an awful lot of goodwill, so it's speculation if he would be fired after 3 seasons he didn't win a championship.

The biggest thing is college sports is a different game than 3 years ago, no sitting out for transfers, out right buying players, openly tampering with other teams rosters. How can you expect to always be on top?

This is a fact. Football should always get the most reinvestment because it's the biggest money maker by far. Then mbb. Everything else should take what they can get, but that's not how Mitch operates. Memorial was a legit money pit especially when you consider who used it. Just an abysmal decision.
Perhaps you’re right about how resources should be allocated, but to large extent, I’d argue that is a criticism that should be directed to University leadership if you believe that’s the right path.

In fairness to Barnhart, his job is to execute the mandate given to him by university leadership. When he was hired, his mandate from leadership included three pillars:
  • Building out a comprehensive sports program (i.e., grow the Olympic sports)
  • Maintaining NCAA compliance
  • Exercising fiscal responsibility (i.e., managing debt levels)
In other words, UK leadership explicitly asked Mitch to utilize football and basketball revenues to grow the Olympic sports without taking on too much debt.

If folks believe that’s not the right path for the Athletic Department, then it’s up to University leadership to communicate to Barnhart that the strategic priorities have changed.

We’ve had enough basketball-only ADs pushing football into the dumpster to tell the OP to pound sand.
Frankly, I don't care about walking and chewing gum at the same time, and largely think that the demise of UK basketball as the "everything that defines UK athletics" is probably a milepost on the way to even better things for UK football. Yeah, I'm 54 and bitter about the historic neglect of the football program. I couldn't give a solitary about the NBA prep school that charlatan is running.

Reactions: Boz and vhcat70
Frankly, I don't care about walking and chewing gum at the same time, and largely think that the demise of UK basketball as the "everything that defines UK athletics" is probably a milepost on the way to even better things for UK football. Yeah, I'm 54 and bitter about the historic neglect of the football program. I couldn't give a solitary about the NBA prep school that charlatan is running.
Odds the OP has a CM Newton poster on his wall?

8:5

Perhaps you’re right about how resources should be allocated, but to large extent, I’d argue that is a criticism that should be directed to University leadership if you believe that’s the right path.

In fairness to Barnhart, his job is to execute the mandate given to him by university leadership. When he was hired, his mandate from leadership included three pillars:
  • Building out a comprehensive sports program (i.e., grow the Olympic sports)
  • Maintaining NCAA compliance
  • Exercising fiscal responsibility (i.e., managing debt levels)
In other words, UK leadership explicitly asked Mitch to utilize football and basketball revenues to grow the Olympic sports without taking on too much debt.

If folks believe that’s not the right path for the Athletic Department, then it’s up to University leadership to communicate to Barnhart that the strategic priorities have changed.

No doubt that's true. Does the athletic director provide input or recommendations on allocation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT