ADVERTISEMENT

Bam hired agent, staying in draft

Im going by the title or bust people here. Several have said it's only about the titles. Period.
Christ, it wasn't even a title thing from 59-74. One FF appearance in 16 years. And of course, 11 years in a row without one right before Cal came.

But I've given up on the "titles are the only thing" buffoons. They're mostly irrational idiots too stupid to realize how good things are at UK right now, and they generally hate Calipari but are too gutless to come out and say it. And they absolutely love when things look or go bad, because it gives them an excuse to vent.

Really don't see it this way the Nash,Deeken years, 66', 68-70, 74-75 and several years in the 80's were fun and hold fond memories of UK teams for me

Cotton Nash played in 2 NCAAT and went 1-3

Dan Issel and Mike Pratt played in 3 NCAAT and went 3-3

"Mr. Cal. please step off the pedal on recruiting.... you are doing too well and its causing us to have unrealistic expectations on winning national titles"

Thats basically your message
No, my message would be to either quit blowing titles or stop recruiting so many kids who have one foot out the door the entire time they're here. Not every player in the top 40 has the same "leave ASAP" mindset that all of the guys Cal brings in does.

Again, those 100 teams weren't loaded with talent like the last 8 have been. If all of our previous coaches had the type of players Cal's has had then we are sitting ahead of Ucla in alltime titles, easy.
Are you a grass-is-always-greener in the rest of your life, or just with Cal? If you're waiting for a coach that's both the best recruiter and best strategist/tactician/game-planner, good luck.

My loyalty is with UK first and foremost. I never said I care about the welfare of the kid. It is his choice what he wants to do with his life. I'm just saying it would've made more sense to possibly go in the lottery next year since there's no guarantee he will go high this year. If he got hurt or things didn't work out oh well you still got your education and can still go out and get a good job.

There's no guarantee coming back will improve his draft stock either. Many a person on this board seem to forget that little nugget of truth.

Again, those 100 teams weren't loaded with talent like the last 8 have been. If all of our previous coaches had the type of players Cal's has had then we are sitting ahead of Ucla in alltime titles, easy.

The greatest coach in the modern era has only gotten 1 title with the one and done.... He had more talent than UK this past season and look what happened. He had more talent than UK last year and look what happend.

Roy Williams and coach soon to be fired at UConn had to cheat to get their titles (calhoun coached the team when not permitted to)

We keep getting so close to a title.......... that its causing people to go mentally effing insane and forgetting that being close to winning a title is FAR FAR better than not having the talent to be that close to begin with

No, my message would be to either quit blowing titles or stop recruiting so many kids who have one foot out the door the entire time they're here. Not every player in the top 40 has the same "leave ASAP" mindset that all of the guys Cal brings in does.

blowing titles? we blew it twice

2010 - lost due to a fluke horrible shooting game (also Higgins officiated)
2011- we werent even supposed to be a final four team
2012 won
2013- didnt even get a chance thanks to an injury to Noel
2014- Over rated players in high school who shouldnt even of made the title game
2015- this time we kinda blew it........ but then again ... (Higgins officiated)
2016- did the best we could (Skal played so bad it was like he was throwing games)
2017- nightmare row and lost on a last second shot to the 1 team better than us.

You see 2011 and 2014 and think those are blown years because we were so close....... and COMPLETELY ignore that the team had to play above their heads to even get to that point. I suppose you would of preferred for them to lose in the 2nd round or sweet 16 which is where they were projected to be????

As some say it was a different world then,it in no way takes away from what they meant to the history of UK basketball or the enjoyment we fans got from watching those teams

Yea, how dare Cal get Poythress hurt in 2015? And why on earth would he want his players to not be nervous and have a healthy WCS against UConn? And it was 1000% Cal who made the 2010 team miss all those threes while having WVU, one of the statistically worst 3-pt shooting teams in the country, turn into Steve Kerr. If only we had a bunch of Jarrod Polson's instead of those one-and-done's we would probably have won all of those titles.

Or better yet, if Cal could have somehow guilted Wall and Boogie into staying multiple years, potentially losing them millions of dollars, he probably would have scared off the dozens of future draft picks and then we could have rosters full of 4-year guys who are gutsy as all get out but can't make it past the Sweet Sixteen. Then you could REALLY be proud of the teams.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
All of this National Title talk..Hahaha..we're never going to win another goddamn one as long as John Higgins is a NCAA referee. He stole one from us against UConn in 2011, he stole one from us against Wisconsin in 2015, and he stole one from us this year vs. UNC (Nice coping mechanism for those saying UNC was better than UK..haha..keep telling yourselves that if it makes you sleep better at night.). I don't even care on who stays and who goes or comes back or picks UK. We could have a 12 deep team of Michael Jordan clones, and John Higgins and the NCAA (Maybe Vegas as well.) would still "foul" the whole team out !! Whatever happens these next few weeks is what happens..it isn't going to make a difference anyway.

Reactions: Bluesnky
Here's some notes from my lifetime as a fan.

1980-1982, DePaul is a #1 seed all 3 years, the #1 ranked team in the country going into the tournament in 80 and 81. They lose in the second round (their first game, because that was back when there were byes) 3 straight years.

1983- Houston, huge favorite, #1 most of the year, loses to NC State in the final.

1984- UNC has a junior Michael Jordan, senior Sam Perkins, sophomore Brad Daugherty, and freshman Kenny Smith. #1 most of the year. They lose in the Sweet 16.

1985- Georgetown is defending champ, only loses twice all year, generally dominates. They lose in the final to Villanova.

1986- Duke is #1 most of the year. They lose in the final

1987- UNLV goes into the FF the favorite. They lose in the semis.

1988- Arizona spends most of the year at #1. They lose in the semis to a very strong Oklahoma team, which then loses in the finals to Kansas.

1989- Illinois goes into the FF the favorite. They lose in the semis.

1991- UNLV is undefeated going into the semis, mostly dominant. They lose.

1992- Duke manages a repeat, but only with a miracle win that we're all very familiar with.

1994. UNC goes into the tourney pretty much co-favorite with Arkansas. They lose in the 2nd round.

1997. Kansas spends almost all year at #1, loses 1 game. They bow out in the Sweet 16.

1998. Arizona, UNC, Duke, and Kansas spend almost all year as the top 4. None win the title, only 1 makes the FF.

1999. Duke enters the FF having won over 30 games in a row, mostly dominating opponents. They lose in the final.

2000- 2 one seeds lose in the first round, another in the Sweet 16.

2002- Duke goes into the tournament the favorite. They lose in the Sweet 16.

2003- UK/Marquette

2006- UConn is considered the favorite. They lose to George Mason in the Elite 8.

The rest is pretty much recent history. And the point is, if you want certainty, you're watching the wrong sport.

All of this National Title talk..Hahaha..we're never going to win another goddamn one as long as John Higgins is a NCAA referee. He stole one from us against UConn in 2011, he stole one from us against Wisconsin in 2015, and he stole one from us this year vs. UNC (Nice coping mechanism for those saying UNC was better than UK..haha..keep telling yourselves that if it makes you sleep better at night.). I don't even care on who stays and who goes or comes back or picks UK. We could have a 12 deep team of Michael Jordan clones, and John Higgins and the NCAA (Maybe Vegas as well.) would still "foul" the whole team out !! Whatever happens these next few weeks is what happens..it isn't going to make a difference anyway.

I have gravitated towards this mindset as well. Sucks. It's just getting too obvious.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Bam was never staying--that narrative was interesting but held very little merit.

I'm surprised so many listen to those who proclaim to be "insiders" but ignore the Head of the program. Cal usually gives off a very honest detail of what he expects--when he's talking up a kid and "you better not make the same mistake passing on him" do you really think that guy is returning? There aren't a lot of tea leaves out there to be read.

This particular player, my friend was very tied in with his decision making and that's why I said it's more likely he was interviewing agents then deciding whether to come back or not. And the "percentages" is always funny. It's an either/or scenario--there isn't a 90% anything--you either choose to do something or don't. So when someone says "I talked to sources......and it's 80%...." that's a bunch of bull****.

Hamidou Diallo came to UK based on the premise he'd be able to do exactly what he's been doing. That was the plan. For those who think he's selfish, fine. He and UK staff agreed to this. It's silly not to and when guys like Givony of Draft Express mention "he'd only be able to do this once more..." who gives a damn? He's not staying 4 years--and likely not after next year if he returns. He wanted to see how he stacks up and hear it from NBA people-not "draft gurus". You do realize some of these kids/and people in their camps take rankings in recruiting and mock drafts more seriously then they do actual information from teams that coach/employ them at NBA level? It's great that Cal encourages them to seek out information and they get to see how real he is, and how he's not afraid to tell the truth--positives and negatives.

Sidenote--Diallo is as good of friends with Mo Bamba as Quade Green and he's had nothing but positives to say about the program and what they've done for him and been true to their word. That's best advertising you can get and all you can ask for and it leads to more great players wanting to come.

Last but not least--why do you think UK staff has been out recruiting and wanting to get 3 more kids in the Spring (now 2 in addition to Baker) if they expected all these guys to return? There's a reason and when a staff wants something-they know what they want/need more then anyone else. Doesn't mean they get it either, just means they are being pretty transparent in letting fans know some spots are going to be open and why not go after the best kids/fits you can get? You know--so you can compete for championships and do the things that so many think is easy--seeing that it's not. lol

Ralphdaltonfan I enjoy your posts.Do you see us having a chance with Knox if he thinks Diallo's gone?

This should make things more clear for Bamba. That is a good thing.

I'm fine with it. We need guys to return but each case is different. Bamba is coming to UK now for sure. Bam was slightly overrated by this fan base and we would have been in trouble with him back and Bamba potentially at Duke. I'm kind of breathing for the first time in a while with this one.

I never thought he'd be back. Honestly don't see him lasting more than 20 picks. There is more to his game than he was allowed to show.

As of now we have Nine scholarship players. We need one more.
REASONS;
1. In case of injury.
2. In case of illness.
3. So we have a full squad to practice; Five on Five.
4. To show that Cal can recruit.
5. Easier to win the National Championship. (Bamba)
6. Because Ten is a nice round number.

It amazes me how a group of people can shed a negative light on helping kids reach their dreams and make millions of dollars. Wow.

Ralphdaltonfan I enjoy your posts.Do you see us having a chance with Knox if he thinks Diallo's gone?

Like chances better with Cameron Johnson--and I'm saying that in same boat as you--others have far better input/info to pass along there.

Knox-all I can share is that my friend was told he was having a difficult time with decision making process (think that's been proven) and he's got a lot of great options (and Missouri--sorry but I had to add that, lol)

Can tell you I was told Bam was gone and kept trying to share that with board. Apparently it's not liked when you share not so good news as it is when you bring the good news.

Reactions: Aike
I invite our fans to read the press release statements of our past guys who tested the waters and then later returned.. several thanked the team mates , coaches and fans.

UK staff members help these guys write their releases by the way.. thats why they all seem to say the same thing.

Don't think Diallo should have thanked teammates .. maybe thanked practice mates. If you refuse to play with the team to protect your draft position then you don't have any teammates

Don't think Diallo should have thanked teammates .. maybe thanked practice mates. If you refuse to play with the team to protect your draft position then you don't have any teammates

and if he had played before he was ready and struggled...then he'd of ruined his draft stock and had extreme pressure next season to try and repair it but the funny thing about draft stock is........once you've lost it... its nearly impossible to gain it back.

Issel and Pratt were handcuffed by the Mike Casey injury, the last second basket by Ohio State and the screw job reffing against Big Dan in the Jacksonville game .. then there was the Marquette debacle where Al McGuire admitted later it was dangerous in the gym as he had worked up a racist frenzy in the crowd for that game.

I have gravitated towards this mindset as well. Sucks. It's just getting too obvious.

Yeah, it sucks..big time. It's like watching fake ass WWE or a scripted show or even movie with clues and little subtle hints throughout the whole film about who the "killer is" or who the mystery lead villain is..except it's clues and hints about which team will win the National Title or what teams will be in the Final 4 or at least half of the Final 4. And then Selection Sunday is when almost the entire script gets told..then the NCAA Tournament is just watching that script unfold. One thing that is always a certainty in those scripts though is "Screw UK on Selection Sunday" and "Make sure UK doesn't win the NCAA Tournament and that the team the NCAA wants to win the National Title wins the National Title..we don't care how obvious it is..make sure those two things happen."...2012 was a miracle looking back.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Didn't someone make a post about a former UK player saying he knew for sure that Bam was coming back (I want to say Chris Mills but could be someone else). I tried to tell the poster that the former player had no clue what Bam was going to do especially when it came to coming back

It amazes me how some continue to be shocked by these departures year after year. At the beginning of the season we all knew we were going to have big losses coming. Humphries was a surprise but none of the rest is. When Diallo came to UK we knew the potential was there that he would declare. No one knows if he'll stay at this point but I can't believe how many are shocked this is going on. This isn't your grandpa's Kentucky basketball. There's nothing wrong with that; that's what I grew up on. We all did. But that time has gone, it won't be that way again. You either adapt or start pulling for EKU or Transy, or enjoy being miserabe, which is where I think some of you are.
No it just might be time to find a hobby and diminish my time dedicated to watching 18 year old millionaires play basketball

ADVERTISEMENT