ADVERTISEMENT

Bam hired agent, staying in draft

yeah, that post you quoted made it sound like some random, sketchy, get rich quick scheme
playing the the NBA is a JOB - a well paying one, but it IS a job.

And I can tell you this - especially since I have kids in this age group. The days of a 4yr education are disappearing, unless the goal is to be a physician, attorney, engineer, educator, etc. Most tech jobs make damn good money, and the education requirements for those can be a 1-2 yr deal. Several kids I know made the jump straight to the job market from HS (because of what they took in HS) and are doing as well, if not better, than an entry level 4 yr degree graduate.

Don't misunderstand - I would love guys to stay longer too, but wow - even one contract can set a guy up for LIFE.

Yes, I hope the technical field (I think the technical field is the new industrial field---finally) somehow stops some of the colleges and universities from offering the more stupid types of degrees. (Pick your type as they are plentiful.)

Reactions: Bkocats
Yes,I realize all that you say.I also realize that we currently have 3 guards on the roster,we are an injury or foul trouble away from Brad playing major minutes,Vanderbilt has an unknown level injury,we have no returning leadership.Gabriel and SKJ weren't ready/able to give us meaningful minutes in the late stages of the season.

As I said in an earlier post no one should be surprised that Bam isn't returning but there is work to be done on filling out the roster,it may happen,it may not happen.We are in a weaker position roster wise than we have been in the majority of the Cal years right now.
Doc. It always works out. Give it time.

Reactions: Galbpt02 and BBUK
Well are we going to turn down these top 20 players to get players will stay longer? I think we both know the answer to that question. The brutal truth is the days of top talent playing for good ole UK are gone. Or Duke. Or UNC. They have their futures at stake, in some cases worth millions of dollars. It's the nature of the beast. They aren't tied to the hip to the program like the fans are. And never will be.
sad, but true...

This, exactly!!! I pretty much figured most of those guys, including Bam and Briscoe were going to the NBA even before the season started this year. So, no big surprise to me that he is signing with an agent. I also had feelings when Diallo signed with us that we might not ever see him in a UK uniform and I'm starting to feel that as well now with his latest announcement. So, that leaves me with only Hump as the one that sorta shocked me as I felt very certain he would be back and make an impact next year. Sure, I had hope about Bam returning since he didn't sign with an agent right away but when I read that Cal said he was trying everything he could to assure Bam would be in the first round I figured it was going to be a done deal he was leaving so I was prepared for that today. Hopefully, Bamba and Johnson are brought in or it will be a rough season for the Cats next year as we will be extremely inexperienced and have no idea how quickly the new guys can or if they will blend together very well.

Roster worst case scenario as of today: (No Bamba, Knox, Johnson, or Smith)

Greene
Alexander
Baker
Vanderbilt
Gabriel
SKJ
Washington
Richards
Wynyard
Calipari

That's not championship level or even FF level talent but they could come around and fight for a sweet 16. That roster still has 7-8 potential future NBA players on it. Just really young and inexperienced and not a lot of outside shooting.

Add Bamba and Johnson and Diallo returns, look out; and all 3 of those are probable.

It is the Lion or the Lamb syndrome. (I'd rather be the Lion...jmuo)

Yes,I realize all that you say.I also realize that we currently have 3 guards on the roster,we are an injury or foul trouble away from Brad playing major minutes,Vanderbilt has an unknown level injury,we have no returning leadership.Gabriel and SKJ weren't ready/able to give us meaningful minutes in the late stages of the season.

As I said in an earlier post no one should be surprised that Bam isn't returning but there is work to be done on filling out the roster,it may happen,it may not happen.We are in a weaker position roster wise than we have been in the majority of the Cal years right now.

Man, if only we had a coach who was really good at filling out rosters and getting young players to play well together...

Reactions: Galbpt02 and awf
I'm not quite sure it is sad. The good ole days weren't really the good ole days as far as success no matter how many here want to spew revisionist history.
the "sad" part was the relationships we "thought" we had with the players...most still never cared as much as us fans (I know, there are a few exceptions, but even most of the unforgettables seem to care more about RP than UK)...its similar to when you learn wrestling is fake

the "sad" part was the relationships we "thought" we had with the players...most still never cared as much as us fans (I know, there are a few exceptions, but even most of the unforgettables seem to care more about RP than UK)...its similar to when you learn wrestling is fake
Actually Cal recruits great kids who still think fondly of UK and it's fans. But just like you or me, they have to take care of themselves.

Bill Gates left college early. Tiger Woods didn't finish. Tons of very successful people didn't go to college at all.

Also, your comment makes no sense. If he left next year when he would be in the lottery according to you, he still wouldn't have finished his degreee, which is what you subsequently claimed was more important. Stop acting like you care about the welfare of a kid you don't even know, and just admit you are a whiny fan who only wants these guys to do what he wants them to do.
My loyalty is with UK first and foremost. I never said I care about the welfare of the kid. It is his choice what he wants to do with his life. I'm just saying it would've made more sense to possibly go in the lottery next year since there's no guarantee he will go high this year. If he got hurt or things didn't work out oh well you still got your education and can still go out and get a good job.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevieJFTW07
A part of me thinks this is all been planned out in advanced. It's Cal controlling the narrative, keeping UK Basketball in the news throughout the off season. The timing of the announcements and type of news is part of the whole show.

Agree on the Cal and being prepared part of your post,but really don't see all that much Chicken Little stuff.As you say IF Diallo stays and IF Bamba comes and maybe we get Johnson then things look different but none of those things have happened yet nor are they a "done deal" We are thin right now and until/unless we add some players that can come in and contribute right out of the gate we won't be what we usually see from Cal teams.Check the calendar, it's April 24 there are only 2 to 4 kids out there that have the potential to be the kind of difference makers we need.Right now we are what we are,there is a decent chance we improve on that but there is also a chance we won't
And Diallo is not officially in the draft, and Bamba hasn't gone elsewhere. But yes, by all means, panic right now.

I invite our fans to read the press release statements of our past guys who tested the waters and then later returned.. several thanked the team mates , coaches and fans.

UK staff members help these guys write their releases by the way.. thats why they all seem to say the same thing.

This will work out great for all involved.

Hami gets the opportunity to show the NBA teams where he is in his progression toward being drafted. If he gets assurances that he is definitely a 1st rounder, he'll go. If he doesn't get a positive response, he'll return to UK.

Cal gets to show, once again, that he is ABSOLUTELY out for what's best for the individual player. This will draw the top players to UK even more.

Cal wants ALL recruits to know that UK is ALWAYS out for the betterment of each player and their families, unlike the other blue bloods(UNC, DUKE, KU, etc)

Depends on what you mean by better. The old way didn't produce chit from 1958 until the run from 1996 to 1998 except for the one title in 1978. And then it was waste land again until Cal got here.
Really don't see it this way the Nash,Deeken years, 66', 68-70, 74-75 and several years in the 80's were fun and hold fond memories of UK teams for me

Reactions: Chuckinden
I invite our fans to read the press release statements of our past guys who tested the waters and then later returned.. several thanked the team mates , coaches and fans.

UK staff members help these guys write their releases by the way.. thats why they all seem to say the same thing.
This off season panic attack is of epic proportions. Sigh, when it all works out there will be something else to complain about. I guarantee if Diallo returns the first thing brought up is he can't shoot. [roll]

Bamba is a must-get at this point. Without him, hard to make a case for next year's team even being a serious title contender.

And Diallo is not officially in the draft, and Bamba hasn't gone elsewhere. But yes, by all means, panic right now.
There is no panic(at least on my part) just discussion of what could or could not happen going forward.We are probably in better shape than we were before Murray committed a couple of years ago but we have more question marks than in most Cal years at this point

A part of me thinks this is all been planned out in advanced. It's Cal controlling the narrative, keeping UK Basketball in the news throughout the off season. The timing of the announcements and type of news is part of the whole show.

He is a marketing major.......

Michigan State,Zona,Kansas,Wichita State,Duke(IF they add Knox/Duval all look pretty good.
Zona and KU do nothing every March. Nothing. MSU and WSU could be very good. I'm not playing the iffing game with Duke because they have neither right now. So you really have two teams who could be outstanding. Just like UK could be depending on the final roster. Cal isn't done. Those were his words not mine.

Depends on what you mean by better. The old way didn't produce chit from 1958 until the run from 1996 to 1998 except for the one title in 1978. And then it was waste land again until Cal got here.
Your new and improved era has only provided one title in 8 years and most likely will be all it ever produces as long as Cal is here. All because Cal can't get any decent players to stay multiple years to save his life. And yes, that's his own fault too. He created this culture and now we only attract certain types of kids. The kind that have one foot out the door the entire time they're here and never fully unpack their bags.

Cal's gotten fat and rich off of this school, not the players. He needs to remember where his bread is buttered.

Your new and improved era has only provided one title in 8 years and most likely will be all it ever produces as long as Cal is here. All because Cal can't get any decent players to stay multiple years to save his life. And yes, that's his own fault too. He created this culture and now we only attract certain types of kids. The kind that have one foot out the door the entire time they're here and never fully unpack their bags.

Cal's gotten fat and rich off of this school, not the players. He needs to remember where his bread is buttered.
Only one title? As opposed to the other three titles the past 60 years? Grow up. You have the mind of a child.

Our season now hangs on what SKJ and Tai can provide.

If those two can be productive we have a shot at being competitive come march. If those two are busts, or Cal doesn't give them the opportunity, then we may be looking at an NIT situation, or first round loss to Rhode Island.

Our season doesn't hang on SKJ and Tai.

Hangs on Vanderbilt, Washington, Green, Richards.

Maybe Diallo. Maybe Bamba. Maybe Johnson.

SKJ and Tai productivity would be a nice bonus. Won't make us or break us.

ADVERTISEMENT