ADVERTISEMENT

Bam hired agent, staying in draft

I have no problem with bam leaving. Loved the kids effort here at UK and I think he has a ton of upside, but even if he doesn't reach his full potential, I think he'll have a long run in the league. He can jump out of the gym, will only get stronger and has a great attitude. I'm happy he came here.

The one perplexing me is diallo. We all know the tradeoff with one and dones is atleast they come here and play for one year. But what is the point of him coming here and basically having a free paid for training camp without ever playing one minute for 6 months? I can't imagine this being the norm but if he doesn't come back, then it was a wasted effort. I love calipari here, but if he's gonna make a habit of bringing in guys just to practice, then don't play any of them. Just run a basketball camp for 9 months, don't play a game and then tell everyone it's because it's players first. That would help guys more than exposing them so why not? Poythress would have gone high in the draft if he just got drafted on hype. Skal is doing well, but hell, had he never played, he'd have been a high lottery pick. So if it's players first 100%, just don't play the guys that may get exposed since some of them will lose money, especially if that's what I'm being told every time I turn around about players first!

Obviously I'm being a little bit overractive, but I don't think diallo being here and never playing one minute helps get other recruits. So what's the benefit for us? I don't think wanting a kid that's on our bench and using the facilities and practice time to play for us is selfish as a fan. I mean, it's kind of the point. So am I the only one uncomfortable with the diallo situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: BourbonBalz
I suspect it will be much, much worse.

We are most certainly doomed.

Wish we could exchange rosters with those star studded ones.
As rosters stand right now if you don't think we will be in a dog fight with a couple of those teams then you are kidding yourself. It depends on you definition of doomed,we will be a good team but not a top 10 team as of right now,maybe not the favorite to win the SEC.

I think Diallo's decision to enter the draft is also appealing to Bamba and Knox. Diallo said in his statement that his game has improved dramatically in the 4 months he's been at Kentucky and then to have the green light from Cal to go and explore his options is striking a nerve with not only Bamba and Knox but the juniors and sophmores in high school.

As rosters stand right now if you don't think we will be in a dog fight with a couple of those teams then you are kidding yourself. It depends on you definition of doomed,we will be a good team but not a top 10 team as of right now,maybe not the favorite to win the SEC.

We are usually in a "dog fight" with a couple of teams in our league most years.
After the fight, who consistently walks out the champion?

I see absolutely NOTHING, and I mean nothing, that has happened yet that I don't think Cal was prepared for. And prepared for 6 months ago. Everything that's happened so far was the most likely thing to happen, except maybe Humphries. And being realistic, it was unlikely that Humphries was ever going to be more than a 10-15 mpg role player at UK.

I'll change this assessment if Diallo stays in the draft, which I don't think he will, and UK doesn't get Bamba, which I think they will. Until then, I'll sit back and laugh at all the Chicken Littles.

1. I said this a couple weeks ago.
He has vacillated but this decision became more concrete the past week or so.
I expect Cam to be a cat, and Bamba.
Despite some debate here, Cal REALLY wants Cam.
Wynyard may opt to head home.
I have not heard anything on HD.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Our season now hangs on what SKJ and Tai can provide.

If those two can be productive we have a shot at being competitive come march. If those two are busts, or Cal doesn't give them the opportunity, then we may be looking at an NIT situation, or first round loss to Rhode Island.

I'm curious as to the timing as well. I know he has been at the Craft Center preparing for the workouts but I wonder how much money he passed up on the autograph appearance trail. I think that it was a case of prioritization aided by Cal, improving draft stock and long term money down the road rather than making quick buck.

Why didn't he go ahead and hire one as soon as he decided to enter the draft? If you're not going to wait until you get feedback based on your workouts, why wait at all?

Good Lord, these kids can't win no matter what they do. Who cares? What does it matter if he hired one right away or waited until now?

Our season now hangs on what SKJ and Tai can provide.

If those two can be productive we have a shot at being competitive come march. If those two are busts, or Cal doesn't give them the opportunity, then we may be looking at an NIT situation, or first round loss to Rhode Island.

Haven't heard if this changes things, but Tai was a possibility to head home.

I see absolutely NOTHING, and I mean nothing, that has happened yet that I don't think Cal was prepared for. And prepared for 6 months ago. Everything that's happened so far was the most likely thing to happen, except maybe Humphries. And being realistic, it was unlikely that Humphries was ever going to be more than a 10-15 mpg role player at UK.

I'll change this assessment if Diallo stays in the draft, which I don't think he will, and UK doesn't get Bamba, which I think they will. Until then, I'll sit back and laugh at all the Chicken Littles.
Agree on the Cal and being prepared part of your post,but really don't see all that much Chicken Little stuff.As you say IF Diallo stays and IF Bamba comes and maybe we get Johnson then things look different but none of those things have happened yet nor are they a "done deal" We are thin right now and until/unless we add some players that can come in and contribute right out of the gate we won't be what we usually see from Cal teams.Check the calendar, it's April 24 there are only 2 to 4 kids out there that have the potential to be the kind of difference makers we need.Right now we are what we are,there is a decent chance we improve on that but there is also a chance we won't

It amazes me how some continue to be shocked by these departures year after year. At the beginning of the season we all knew we were going to have big losses coming. Humphries was a surprise but none of the rest is. When Diallo came to UK we knew the potential was there that he would declare. No one knows if he'll stay at this point but I can't believe how many are shocked this is going on. This isn't your grandpa's Kentucky basketball. There's nothing wrong with that; that's what I grew up on. We all did. But that time has gone, it won't be that way again. You either adapt or start pulling for EKU or Transy, or enjoy being miserabe, which is where I think some of you are.

This, exactly!!! I pretty much figured most of those guys, including Bam and Briscoe were going to the NBA even before the season started this year. So, no big surprise to me that he is signing with an agent. I also had feelings when Diallo signed with us that we might not ever see him in a UK uniform and I'm starting to feel that as well now with his latest announcement. So, that leaves me with only Hump as the one that sorta shocked me as I felt very certain he would be back and make an impact next year. Sure, I had hope about Bam returning since he didn't sign with an agent right away but when I read that Cal said he was trying everything he could to assure Bam would be in the first round I figured it was going to be a done deal he was leaving so I was prepared for that today. Hopefully, Bamba and Johnson are brought in or it will be a rough season for the Cats next year as we will be extremely inexperienced and have no idea how quickly the new guys can or if they will blend together very well.

He could've been Lottery next year in a weak draft. Oh well. The almighty dollar is more important than anything in today's society. Who needs an education? Just get paid as quickly as possible...

He could've been Lottery next year in a weak draft. Oh well. The almighty dollar is more important than anything in today's society. Who needs an education? Just get paid as quickly as possible...

So the black kids need the one extra year of elective classes but the golfers, baseball players, and tech kids don't? Ok

(actually a summarization of a Cal quote)

Agree on the Cal and being prepared part of your post,but really don't see all that much Chicken Little stuff.As you say IF Diallo stays and IF Bamba comes and maybe we get Johnson then things look different but none of those things have happened yet nor are they a "done deal" We are thin right now and until/unless we add some players that can come in and contribute right out of the gate we won't be what we usually see from Cal teams.Check the calendar, it's April 24 there are only 2 to 4 kids out there that have the potential to be the kind of difference makers we need.Right now we are what we are,there is a decent chance we improve on that but there is also a chance we won't

You do realize we have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Yes I want Bamba, and any of the rest that are possibilities but we HAVE Green, Alexander, Baker, Washington, Vanderbilt and Richards. As of now Gabriel is back as well. I get so tired of fans not appreciating what we have and what we are blessed with. Of course more is better but we have INCREDIBLE players already locked in. We will be fine - sure Alabama, Mizzou are improving but they don't have near our talent. We will lose some games due to our youth but we will be the pre-season favorites in the SEC AGAIN. I would LOVE to get Bamba and others but lets not forget the talent we have committed!!

Bill Gates left college early. Tiger Woods didn't finish. Tons of very successful people didn't go to college at all.

Also, your comment makes no sense. If he left next year when he would be in the lottery according to you, he still wouldn't have finished his degreee, which is what you subsequently claimed was more important. Stop acting like you care about the welfare of a kid you don't even know, and just admit you are a whiny fan who only wants these guys to do what he wants them to do.

Can't blame folks for some wishful thinking. I know it would be nice to get to know at least one of these kids for a couple of years and see their development actually happen in a blue uni.
Not going to happen. Anyone should know that after the past seven years. If you want the top talent, this is what happens. And it's the exact reason Cal continues to get the top talent.

Bill Gates left college early. Tiger Woods didn't finish. Tons of very successful people didn't go to college at all.

Also, your comment makes no sense. If he left next year when he would be in the lottery according to you, he still wouldn't have finished his degreee, which is what you subsequently claimed was more important. Stop acting like you care about the welfare of a kid you don't even know, and just admit you are a whiny fan who only wants these guys to do what he wants them to do.
Exactly. The reason Cal gets these top players is he has their best interests at heart.

the almighty potential MILLIONS of dollars....
yeah, that post you quoted made it sound like some random, sketchy, get rich quick scheme
playing the the NBA is a JOB - a well paying one, but it IS a job.

And I can tell you this - especially since I have kids in this age group. The days of a 4yr education are disappearing, unless the goal is to be a physician, attorney, engineer, educator, etc. Most tech jobs make damn good money, and the education requirements for those can be a 1-2 yr deal. Several kids I know made the jump straight to the job market from HS (because of what they took in HS) and are doing as well, if not better, than an entry level 4 yr degree graduate.

Don't misunderstand - I would love guys to stay longer too, but wow - even one contract can set a guy up for LIFE.

Good Lord, these kids can't win no matter what they do. Who cares? What does it matter if he hired one right away or waited until now?

He could have been doing UK a favor by hiring an agent. Cal may have asked him to announce it to kind of help another BAM get off the pot...who knows.... All I know is Cal brings good kids into this program and they WILL help him and UK.

Interesting dilemma that I'm not sure I know the answer to. Are the players best interests the same as the Kentucky program's best interests, and if not which is it Cal should be prioritizing?
Well are we going to turn down these top 20 players to get players will stay longer? I think we both know the answer to that question. The brutal truth is the days of top talent playing for good ole UK are gone. Or Duke. Or UNC. They have their futures at stake, in some cases worth millions of dollars. It's the nature of the beast. They aren't tied to the hip to the program like the fans are. And never will be.

Reactions: Blueaz
You do realize we have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Yes I want Bamba, and any of the rest that are possibilities but we HAVE Green, Alexander, Baker, Washington, Vanderbilt and Richards. As of now Gabriel is back as well. I get so tired of fans not appreciating what we have and what we are blessed with. Of course more is better but we have INCREDIBLE players already locked in. We will be fine - sure Alabama, Mizzou are improving but they don't have near our talent. We will lose some games due to our youth but we will be the pre-season favorites in the SEC AGAIN. I would LOVE to get Bamba and others but lets not forget the talent we have committed!!
Yes,I realize all that you say.I also realize that we currently have 3 guards on the roster,we are an injury or foul trouble away from Brad playing major minutes,Vanderbilt has an unknown level injury,we have no returning leadership.Gabriel and SKJ weren't ready/able to give us meaningful minutes in the late stages of the season.

As I said in an earlier post no one should be surprised that Bam isn't returning but there is work to be done on filling out the roster,it may happen,it may not happen.We are in a weaker position roster wise than we have been in the majority of the Cal years right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT