ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn 19/36 foul shots

Broome missing 5 straight before making his 6th really hurt them

I know the game was won by more than 5pts.. but thats still a difference maker. He makes those free throws and Auburn is in it. And Houston doesn't smell blood yet.

Houston outscored them 50-23 in the second half with their two main guards sitting for an extended period with 4 fouls.

The FTs did break open the game though. Broome and KD Johnson in the critical stretch where Auburn gave up the lead and basically quit after that.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Dude that was Houston's strategy in the second half. Foul them and don't let them make a two point or three point shot.
Auburn had one 2-point second half field goal 9 minutes left in the game. Houston just fouled them every single time and hoped for decent offense on the other end.

It was a joke. Couple times I seen them foul and then the guy that fouled went straight to the bench and sat down like "okay I did my job"

Reactions: Ugoff
I can life with Houston winning this thing , if Sasser ( sp ?) gets the groin healed up they can do it .. I hope .. Just not Gonz or Ucla .. please not that
Especially UCLA. If they won a 12th title, I'm afraid it might too hard to make up the title difference in my lifetime.

Especially UCLA. If they won a 12th title, I'm afraid it might too hard to make up the title difference in my lifetime.

How old are u?

We have won 4 titles in 65 years so unless your really young probably won't happen. Don't see UK winning 4 in 15 years or anything crazy.

How old are u?

We have won 4 titles in 65 years so unless your really young probably won't happen. Don't see UK winning 4 in 15 years or anything crazy.
According to some of the geniuses on here, if Pitino had stayed UK would win them every year since he's the greatest basketball mind to ever walk the face of the earth.

42 total fouls; every possession. smh

SEC Refs?
Texted a buddy during the game and said it was like watching an SEC game. Horrible flow and a lot of bad ticky tack fouls. Anticipating fouls. Preordained fouls.

No, I don't think so. Based on that game I'd say they're very evenly matched. Houston would have finished 4th or worse in the SEC this season.
I have to disagree about Houston. Under Sampson, Houston teams always seem to perform better than the sum of their parts would suggest. To me, the thing about Houston is that they play so hard and just won’t quit. They don’t ever seem to shoot it particularly well. Go stretches where they can’t score. But they just keep scraping. They contest everything. They block shots that most teams would have given up on and just allowed the basket.

Under Pearl, Auburn plays off emotion. Their style can really start to steam-roll a team, and ole KD Johnson starts tongue waging. But because they rely so much on emotion all the time, when things start not going their way they have a tendency to get deflated and quit. I think that’s why when Auburn loses it often seems to be by larger margins than you expect.

Reactions: Aike
No, I don't think so. Based on that game I'd say they're very evenly matched. Houston would have finished 4th or worse in the SEC this season.
As good as Tennessee is, they finished 5th. I’m positive that Houston was better than ATM, who finished 2nd.

I have no trouble believing that, depending on schedule, Houston could have finished 4th in the SEC - and still have been one of the best teams in the country.

Reactions: G-PIP
UK 16-27 against West Virginia in 2010.

Terrence Jones 0-5 against UConn in 2011 (1 point game).

Nazr Mohammed 0-5 against Arizona in 1997 (OT game).

We could be looking at three more titles if we just hit our freaking free throws at a regular clip.
Close games are won at the line and tournament games are usually close games.

Reactions: Emarc and G-PIP
I have to disagree about Houston. Under Sampson, Houston teams always seem to perform better than the sum of their parts would suggest. To me, the thing about Houston is that they play so hard and just won’t quit. They don’t ever seem to shoot it particularly well. Go stretches where they can’t score. But they just keep scraping. They contest everything. They block shots that most teams would have given up on and just allowed the basket.

Under Pearl, Auburn plays off emotion. Their style can really start to steam-roll a team, and ole KD Johnson starts tongue waging. But because they rely so much on emotion all the time, when things start not going their way they have a tendency to get deflated and quit. I think that’s why when Auburn loses it often seems to be by larger margins than you expect.
Houston is a grown man team. Not great, but better than just about everyone else in a down year. The way their bench played down the stretch last night should tell people a lot.

Also, Auburn’s guards have been pretty terrible all year. They were destined to blow a game against a team as solid as Houston.

Reactions: G-PIP
How old are u?

We've gained on them 4-1 since Wooden retired. That's +3 from 1978 to 2012 (34 years).

Using real historical precedent, tying them is at least doable in my lifetime (I'm barely middle aged).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT