ADVERTISEMENT

At what juncture does Cal protect Wheeler from these screens

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
and just keep him back in the halfcourt?

The rare steal is not worth the risk of him ending up missing the rest of the season due to concussions.
Savhir is short in stature as it is no sense in putting him in risky situations anymore.
Enough is enough.
Teams are going to do this every game to try and knock out UKs pg if we dont do some adjusting.

The rare steal is not worth the risk of him ending up missing the rest of the season due to concussions.
Savhir is short in stature as it is no sense in putting him in risky situations anymore.
Enough is enough.
Teams are going to do this every game to try and knock out UKs pg if we dont do some adjusting.
It’s not like they can stop him from getting trapped or played like that back court so nothing can be done other than calling it out louder or have him try to practice to see the screen sooner. Hopefully pick and roll defense and that is practiced very hard over the next couple weeks.

It’s not like they can stop him from getting trapped or played like that back court so nothing can be done other than calling it out louder or have him try to practice to see the screen sooner. Hopefully pick and roll defense and that is practiced very hard over the next couple weeks.
Fox, I know there will always be times were he is vurnerable but those full court sprints where he is hawking the dribbler and then boom he is picked by a monster at the hc line can be eliminated by simply sending Wheeler back to play halfcourt D not full court.
The risk/reward just leans too heavily to the risk side, especially now that Wheeler has been knocked out twice in the last few games by guarding full court, running full bore and getting picked hard.
I hope Cal does away with the fullcourt pressing v Miss St.; we arent very good at it anyway.

In those loud environments we played in at LSU and Auburn it’s going to be a problem. Oscar said he shouted ‘screen’ but Wheeler couldn’t hear him. It will also be VERY LOUD at KU.
So we can look for Wheeler run head on into a Steel Chair at Kansas, Great. Just great.

• Haha
Reactions: HerrosHeroes
This is not a bash Cal thread so all you anti Calers dont get too excited as Im no where near joining you on the darkside.
Its simply an observation that I think needs addressing and quick.
We lose Wheeler and we aren't winning #9.

Reactions: chroix

Enough is enough.
There’s nothing you can do about it other than tell him to look up every now and then. No other player has ever had this issue. Screens are nothing new. He just has to be more aware and there has to be better communication.

This is not a bash Cal thread so all you anti Calers dont get too excited as Im no where near joining you on the darkside.
A. You just called Cal out in a post on RR
B. Alarms went off in multiple defenders phones.
C. You have just fallen into the "Cal Hater" category and are branded for life.

Buckle up. Gonna be a bumpy ride for you from here on out.

I don’t know there’s much that can be done. It just happens in the flow of the game. Wheeler is a smaller guy and he’s gonna get trucked sometimes. I love how hard he plays though.

Enough is enough.
LOL.

This is utter nonsense. Maybe Cal needs to chase Wheeler around with a bat to whack anyone that tries to touch him. Weaken the defense then bitch about weaker defense. Whine whine whine. This is big boy basketball.

No, this is a how to play stupid basketball thread.

Enough is enough.
Cal said on his show tonight that OT admitted it was his fault. And that it wouldn't happen again. One of the biggest thing I wanted someone to ask Cal was if there is anything that we can do to stop the pick and roll dunks? Auburn did it over and over like our players had no idea how to defend it. It was like the coach had no idea what to tell them to stop it because they just kept doing it with Kessler over and over with no resistance. Anybody hone in on that to see why it was happening and what we need to do to stop it? If you know may want to shoot coach an email because that is something you might see once a game but not over and over and over.

If you’d ever played basketball, you’d know it’s not Cal’s responsibility to call out the screen, or protect Wheeler. On both accounts where Wheeler got hurt, it was Oscar’s fault for not calling out the screen. It was his fault, and his responsibility, not Cal’s.

I kinda wish he'd put Hopkins in that spot for one or two plays. Let him run into Kessler full bore. Suspect that would stop the screening at half court.

Good observation herrosheroes, and you’re 100% correct in saying that Cal is a non coaching sonofabitch!!! If he’d run a real press instead of his generic, great value “act like you’re gonna press but retreat immediately when the other team gets it in” garbage, wheeler wouldn’t be in no man’s land to get knocked out. I will never understand the point of it because it’s not even like it slows the opponent down from getting into their set either. Just another one of his piss poor coaching techniques.

Enough is enough.
Have Oscar call out screen and those two situations don't happen. We've usually always had a guard harass the ball coming up the court it seems though.

Enough is enough.
Teams are going to do this every game to try and knock out UKs pg if we dont do some adjusting.evel
The one who is most responsible for not getting screened is Wheeler himself. Some of what has been discussed lately on the radio seems to indicate that teammates, i.e., Oscar, are not doing what they need to do to keep Wheeler safe, and that it is their job to help keep him from being screened. Yes, they can and should help by yelling to him, but he is primarily responsible to avoid getting screened. When the decibel level is such that screaming to your teammate does no good, who, then, becomes most responsible for their own welfare? Fundamentally, yes, your fellow players and everyone on the bench is supposed to help you, and teammates need to use the designated code word to help you, but you--the defender--need to watch your man, the ball, and any potential screener--yes, all three of those at the same time. Fifty or sixty feet from the basket, you may literally only have the help of a fan who can tell you a screen is coming since your teammates may already be up court. Sahvir simply has to do a better job when he's actively putting max pressure on the ball handler to avoid getting screened. That, folks, is a big part of fundamental guard play.

Reactions: Crowell7
Can anyone name another player, even if wheelers size, that has done this over and over and over?

Again, the announcers are creating a myth that isn’t true. Oscar cannot call out every screen in these environments. I can tell who’s been to SEC road games. I’ve been to many and for 30 years. 90% of the time when I see UK play it’s n the road in Oxford, Nashville, and Knoxville. I can tell you there’s no way to hear what you’re wanting Oscar to do each time.

If you notice players feel for screens. Wheeler just blindly runs across the court like a guy sentenced to life and loses it. His court awareness or decision making should really be called into question at this point. I feel bad for Oscar damn, taking the blame when it’s not really even his fault.

None of this original post addresses the fact that the hard screen that took him out on Saturday was in the halfcourt. It wasn't even the same situation as the LSU game.

Reactions: mark a butler

Enough is enough.
It is called, his team mate calling out the screen so he can slip around it.

Again, the announcers are creating a myth that isn’t true. Oscar cannot call out every screen in these environments. I can tell who’s been to SEC road games. I’ve been to many and for 30 years. 90% of the time when I see UK play it’s n the road in Oxford, Nashville, and Knoxville. I can tell you there’s no way to hear what you’re wanting Oscar to do each time.
This.

Attended the 2017 game down in Auburn when they beat us with Murray. Can confirm, I could not even talk to my friend sitting in the seat next to me. That place is the loudest place I've ever been to.

There’s nothing you can do about it other than tell him to look up every now and then. No other player has ever had this issue. Screens are nothing new. He just has to be more aware and there has to be better communication.
I disagree . . . curb feelers strapped around his waste or GPS breaking sensors would help a bunch

• Haha
Reactions: BourbonBalz
They have to call it out and let him know!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wheeler has to start running with his arm out in the press.

Might hurt his shoulder then but you can’t just pile up concussions.

At some point Wheeler has got to understand that a back screen is coming to free up the point guard and needs to actually turn his head and take a glance upcourt in anticipation of a blind side screen.

Speaks to lack of detail covered in practice. And too much time spent on weave and create.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT