ADVERTISEMENT

Ashton Hagans vs Tre Jones

Cowboys&Wildcats

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 7, 2014
It really aggravates me to no end how Tre Jones gets called the best defender in the country and how he's considered a 1st round pick and Hagans isn't. What is Jones better at than Hagans exactly? He's smaller than Hagans, he's less athletic, neither one are shooters but Hagans is the better shooter, and Hagans is the better defender, what am I missing?

Well Tre has points produced rating of 168 to 117 for Hagans. Tre assists on 27% of all duke fgs to 24% for Hagans. Tre has a 10% turnover rate versus 26% for Hagans. Tre’s wins shares are at 2.3 to 1.2 for Hagans. Tre has a box +\- of 7.3 to 5.6 for Hagans.

So basically Tre has far superior advanced stats and he compiled these versus the 18th strongest schedule versus the 77th strongest for Hagans.

Nice game vs Georgia but I wouldn’t get carried away. Hagans is a nice player but Tre is the best pg in college hoops.

Well Tre has points produced rating of 168 to 117 for Hagans. Tre assists on 27% of all duke fgs to 24% for Hagans. Tre has a 10% turnover rate versus 26% for Hagans. Tre’s wins shares are at 2.3 to 1.2 for Hagans. Tre has a box +\- of 7.3 to 5.6 for Hagans.

So basically Tre has far superior advanced stats and he compiled these versus the 18th strongest schedule versus the 77th strongest for Hagans.

Nice game vs Georgia but I wouldn’t get carried away. Hagans is a nice player but Tre is the best pg in college hoops.

Tre got off to a much better start, but Hagans has come on of late. I don’t know the statistical breakdown, but I doubt Jones has been any better than Hagans since around our UNC game.

Hagan's should be a senior in High school and Hagan's ceiling is way higher . Plus he is a year behind in development. Hagan's is about to be the best pg in nation. No players ceiling is higher in college right now. Defensively it's not even close. Hagan's is getting better game by game since Quade left. If Quade wasn't here at beginning of year it wouldn't even be a question who the better PG is. Hagans still has a few more gears to snatch in his game which is scary.

Ja Morant will be top 5 come NBA draft, book it

You could also argue that Jones playing with superior teammates has helped his stats. Believe it or not nerdy boy numbers can be misleading. NBA scouts do not stare at your numbers only...they use the eye test.

Go back to playing with your Rubix Cube.

I'll take Hagans every time over Jones. And Tre Jones isn't the best pg in the country, by decent margin.

[laughing] Yep, I'd have expected nothing less...

He's much better at wearing a Duke uniform, and that means he has the best PR department in all of sports. He also had a chance to win an award that used to be controlled entirely by the Duke PR department, which is the NABC Defensive Player of the Year. That award was created in 1987, and Duke players won it the first 2 times, and 9 of the first 20 years.

I guess the NABC finally realized they were being played for suckers, and that it was absurd to keep giving the award to Duke players (Wojo? Shelden Williams twice?? Good Lord), as they haven't won since 2006, but Jay Bilas was spearheading a really strong campaign for Jones.

Lol right.

Hagans didn’t even get major clock til Quade left. Jones has been logging major min all season.

I’m gonna bring up one stat since every one in America thinks Jones is the best freshman defender in the country.

Steals-Jones has 33 steals in 468 min
Hagans has 35 steals in 385 min.

Stop slurping soo much duke kool aid.

Last edited:

I will physically bet you $100,000 Hagans gets drafted before Jones. Want action?

Lol right.

Hagans didn’t even get major clock til Quade left. Jones has been logging major min all season.

I’m gonna bring up one stat since every one in America thinks Jones is the best freshman defender in the country.

He IS duke u kool aid...

Reactions: BassProCat
Hagan's should be a senior in High school and Hagan's ceiling is way higher . Plus he is a year behind in development. Hagan's is about to be the best pg in nation. No players ceiling is higher in college right now. Defensively it's not even close. Hagan's is getting better game by game since Quade left. If Quade wasn't here at beginning of year it wouldn't even be a question who the better PG is. Hagans still has a few more gears to snatch in his game which is scary.

Hagans is like 7 months older than Jones. He’s a full year older than Zion and Barrett.

I got tired of hearing them say things like Hagans is our Tre Jones. No he is our Ashton Hagans. He has averaged 6 less minutes per game on the year than Jones. I went back and looked at every Duke game stats wise and didn't see a single game where Jones just completely took over the way Hagans did last night.

Hagans
35 minutes 23 points 5 rebounds 4 assists 4 steals 1 turnover 9/18 shooting 1/3 three pointers

The only thing Jones is really better at right now is his assists and turnovers. Who couldn't get a bunch of assists though throwing the ball to the top 2 picks in the incoming NBA Draft?

Hagans has already improved his assists to turnover ratio since he became the full time PG after Green left. He has like 32 assists to 17 turnovers. So he has brought it up the last 7 games to 1.9/1 compared to the first 9 games with 24 assists and 16 turnovers for a 1.5/1 ratio (hopefully I got those numbers right, was going through the stats and trying to keep the assists and turnovers for each game in my head). By the end of the year he probably will get it up somewhere around 2.5 to 3/1.

I will physically bet you $100,000 Hagans gets drafted before Jones. Want action?
It’s an interesting bet because I think they’ll be close but it’s also not the point I made. Tre Jones is a better pg in college. The draft is about who has longer arms and more fast twitch muscle fibers.

Lol right.

Neat stat.
Now do assist to turnover ratio since we are talking about point guards

Neat stat.
Now do assist to turnover ratio since we are talking about point guards

Once again Jones has a head start on Hagans and a way better team around him. Jones has played 83 more min so just over a 2 game head start.

Jones has the better ast to to ratio.

But Hagans shoots the ball better than him.
Jones-44%
Hagans-48%

And hagans scores at a better clip than he does.
Jones has scored 130 pts in 468 min
Hagans has scored 122 pts in 385 min.

Once min become even we can go back and compare again if you want to Mr. Neat stat!

Last edited:

This means nothing. Hagans has to turn the ball over more because we depend on him more. Tre Jones is a facilitator. He has the top draft picks around him. Of course he doesn’t then it over. He tosses it to Barrett.

Look at Wall. Had quite a few turnovers because he was dominating the ball.

People read too much into these stats and don’t watch enough of the game.

Jones’ 5.7 assists per game helps but that’s inflated from playing with Barrett & Williamson. So far he’s shooting better from outside, although his 29% from 3 is still pretty crappy. Hagans is every bit as good defensively if not better, quicker, and better at finishing. The 2 are very different players but leaving biases aside, I’d still probably take Hagans.

This means nothing. Hagans has to turn the ball over more because we depend on him more. Tre Jones is a facilitator. He has the top draft picks around him. Of course he doesn’t then it over. He tosses it to Barrett.

Look at Wall. Had quite a few turnovers because he was dominating the ball.

People read too much into these stats and don’t watch enough of the game.

It’s funny cuz he brings all these dumb ratios and stats over here and then you go look at stats between the two players and Hagans has better numbers minus the ast to to ratio but Jones has 3 lottery picks to pass to.

Duke fans watch espn way too much and are oblivious to the eye test.

All the laughing gifs. Everyone of them.

It really aggravates me to no end how Tre Jones gets called the best defender in the country and how he's considered a 1st round pick and Hagans isn't. What is Jones better at than Hagans exactly? He's smaller than Hagans, he's less athletic, neither one are shooters but Hagans is the better shooter, and Hagans is the better defender, what am I missing?
Missing ingredient
6a0115709f071f970b014e6030ab0a970c.jpe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT