ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones has reported that ...

Bluesbrother

Junior
May 23, 2002
“There is a sense of nervousness with everyone around the program (because) no one is really sure where Barnhart’s mind is right now on it,” said Jones. “I am told the University leadership is supportive of whatever he decides. I think we know something by Monday, if not before.”

The worrisome part of this quote is that the University leadership is supportive of whatever Barnhart "unilaterally" decides? This is exactly what many on this board was afraid of, especially considering Barnhart is the one responsible for the "contract" cluster cluck. I can't help but believe the entire chain of influence from the Administration down to Barnhart may be corrupt and self-serving. Everything just wreaks of a foul odor. How can any of them be trusted? It's no different than putting the fox in charge of "guarding" the hen house.

I think it ultimately comes down to interest from other top coaches the university has on their want list.

Who is seriously interested and who just plan says no.

I am also betting someone from Mitches side has contacted certain potential coaches agents to get feedback.

Yeah I’m down on Barnhart too but I’m surprised this is confusing to some people. He’s been an AD for a long time. He knows how to put out feelers and honestly if he doesn’t fire Cal I think there’s probably a pretty good reason, and that he won’t share with us for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m down on Barnhart too but I’m surprised this is confusing to some people. He’s been an AD for a long time. He knows how to put out feelers and honestly if he doesn’t fire Cal I think there’s probably a pretty good reason that he won’t share with us for obvious reasons.
I don’t trust Barney’s hiring checklist or target list to get a guy that fits the Kentucky brand. My fear is he will make a hire based/or weighted towards personal likability and “good guy” traits especially after butting heads w Cal for 15 years; and then we’ll get whatever style of basketball and strategy that comes w it so it’ll be a coinflip on style/strategy.

But Mitch definitely knows the business side inside out and has no doubt been getting a finger on the pulse of whoever is on his list. Him not coming out w a statement by now supporting Cal and the future means it’s in real consideration.

No worries. I just know they’re not church buddies. Actually your post made me laugh Thinking about them in bible study together….which would not happen.

“There is a sense of nervousness with everyone around the program (because) no one is really sure where Barnhart’s mind is right now on it,” said Jones. “I am told the University leadership is supportive of whatever he decides. I think we know something by Monday, if not before.”

The worrisome part of this quote is that the University leadership is supportive of whatever Barnhart "unilaterally" decides? This is exactly what many on this board was afraid of, especially considering Barnhart is the one responsible for the "contract" cluster cluck. I can't help but believe the entire chain of influence from the Administration down to Barnhart may be corrupt and self-serving. Everything just wreaks of a foul odor. How can any of them be trusted? It's no different than putting the fox in charge of "guarding" the hen house.

Sounds like some if not many "at" "The University" may need to have their credentials checked for authenticity. Sounds like a real "dumbed-down" version of stupid if the statement is accurate.

Lead or cut bait...

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Hopefully Mitch utilizes any and all resources he has to get a solid list of potential coaches that have a genuine interest.

The BCG hire while at the time was pretty well received felt like we had to settle for the 4th or 5th choice.

Seem to remember hearing the Calipari hire was kinda taken out of Mitch’s hands. Someone else here on the board might have or recall more details.

Reactions: mailman85
I think everyone knows this is ending within 12 months regardless. Maybe thats why staff, staff whose future is ultimately decided by Mitch (right?), are kind of just going with it. Mitch is going to be hiring a new coach either this week or next March. I really can't see us go any further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Short-Dawg-69
What is with the drew love?

He isn’t it. At all.

Pearl also just did the same thing we’re running cal off for

I think it’s jay wright or cal gets one more attempt to right the ship. There’s no one else out there that would be as exciting as cal was when hired. That’s what we need. Not someone just to change.

What is with the drew love?

He isn’t it. At all.

Pearl also just did the same thing we’re running cal off for

I think it’s jay wright or cal gets one more attempt to right the ship. There’s no one else out there that would be as exciting as cal was when hired. That’s what we need. Not someone just to change.
Pearl has won big at a football school with very little basketball tradition before he got there. He’s also won the SEC regular season and tournament twice each since 2018 and a F4. That’s way better than what we’ve had at the top basketball school.

At the time a lot of fans were excited to have Billy G on board. Nobody, the athletic department included, had any idea that things would blow up in our faces after 2 years.
Yeah BCG was the next big thing when we hired him. He immediately secured Patterson's commitment too. I was stoked. Then Gardner Webb happened.

At the time a lot of fans were excited to have Billy G on board. Nobody, the athletic department included, had any idea that things would blow up in our faces after 2 years.
For real, felt like a pretty damn good hire at the time. Bill G was the hot chick at the dance everyone wanted to get with. Little did they know that hot chick was lubed up with Wild Turkey and huffing brake fluid.

Reactions: Jwright07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT