ADVERTISEMENT

Article on KSR Sounds Like Stoops Is Preparing For The Worst as Far as Portal Losses

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
Stoops is quoted on KSR article that things will be looking a lot different as far as UK football loses to the portal. Mike Farrel sports reported yesterday he was hearing strong possibility Barion Brown will be headed to UT or Bama. Shaping up for UK football to be a real train wreck after this seasons portal losses!

Said it after the Ole Miss game that we’d lose Brown likely. Doubled down pre UT that it was a massive game if we wanted to keep brown. We needed to score points and not get beat down…had to prove we were on the same level.

Receivers, more so than any other position, don’t care about pro style etc…they want as many targets as possible through out a game to put up stats and showcase their talent….hard to do on 2-5 targets a game

Stoops is quoted on KSR article that things will be looking a lot different as far as UK football loses to the portal. Mike Farrel sports reported yesterday he was hearing strong possibility Barion Brown will be headed to UT or Bama. Shaping up for UK football to be a real train wreck after this seasons portal losses!
The new college football portal/NIL free agency program. You either become a victim to it or you grab it by the throat.

It going to get Ugly next season with who leaving from Graduation and to Pros. Then recruiting falling apart and what UK loses to the portal . Can't see many Portal players especially on offensive side of the ball coming here.

Maybe Stoops will enter the portal as well.

It just seems like this program is starting to completely fall apart. If we do have a bunch of defections to the portal combined with recruiting falling off the way it is, then I don't see how Stoops overcomes that. Perhaps all of this could have been avoided if he hadn't spent his tenure here meddling with the offense and holding it back. In many ways, it was like he never actually progressed from being a defensive coordinator to a head coach.

It just seems like this program is starting to completely fall apart. If we do have a bunch of defections to the portal combined with recruiting falling off the way it is, then I don't see how Stoops overcomes that. Perhaps all of this could have been avoided if he hadn't spent his tenure here meddling with the offense and holding it back. In many ways, it was like he never actually progressed from being a defensive coordinator to a head coach.
One thing that pisses me off, is Stoops response when he was asked whether he asks his brother Bob for advise. Apparently he acted like he was offended by the question and said "this is my program". This tells me alot. His pride won't let him seek advice from one of the most successful college coaches in recent times.

The way Scang has talked since the Missouri game is basically that his hands are tied. We are playing slow to play keep away from the other team and there is very little room for error playing like that. He is saying it takes a perfect game for the offense to put up a decent amount of points and any mistakes will likely get you beat with as few of possessions as we have.

Till our offense gets opened up nothing will change. Don't know how we have come across so many good WR's with Stoops philosophy. Shame it had to be wasted.
Liam Coen with his LARams offense is what secured those top WR.

He left AFTER they had signed so they were basically stuck for one year.

We are likely to lose that entire room to the Portal unless Stoops makes a fantastic change at OC BEFORE December.

Liam Coen with his LARams offense is what secured those top WR.

He left AFTER they had signed so they were basically stuck for one year.

We are likely to lose that entire room to the Portal unless Stoops makes a fantastic change at OC BEFORE December.
WR's Brown and Palmer coming in next season are very highly ranked also. Just have a feeling if Stoops doesn't change his thinking on offense our deep WR room will be back like it normally has been over the years. You just have to be able to score points in this league, TD's not FG's. No point in our defense having to try and cover for the offense. Now is the time it needs to change before it collapses.

Last edited:
The way Scang has talked since the Missouri game is basically that his hands are tied. We are playing slow to play keep away from the other team and there is very little room for error playing like that. He is saying it takes a perfect game for the offense to put up a decent amount of points and any mistakes will likely get you beat with as few of possessions as we have.
And THAT is the reason CMS is going to have a hard time firing him at the end of the season.

When an employee is doing exactly what you instructed him to do, and he fails because of it, what are you going to fire him over?

CMS has even admitted that Scangs is slow playing the offense at HIS direction to take the pressure off his defense.

I love CMS, but he is THE root cause of our decades long offensive woes.
Unfortunately, I don't think he can change. It is his DNA to play " complementary " offense, meaning slow play, run the ball, run the clock, protect the defense, and try to squeeze out a 17-14 win at the buzzer.

Those days are long gone in the SEC and CMS needs to be also, if he refuses to change his philosophy concerning offense.

I'm not too impressed with Barion Brown to be honest. Other than his 1 td return, what else has he done?

Every program will be a real train wreck due to portal losses. Then, we'll get our fair share and we'll be saying 10-2 again. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: catfan093
I'm not too impressed with Barion Brown to be honest. Other than his 1 td return, what else has he done?
How about the others where we had penalities that weren;t even involved in the play? He is the best freshman I have ever seen at that position at UK in 50 plus years. Doesn;t mean he can't improve. The offense is not functioning like it should - it's either Scang or Stoops or maybe both? But something has to change.

Go Big Blue!

I think they are both terrific talents. Just different players. Hopefully we don’t lose all of these young receivers we have. But, I couldn’t blame them for leaving
I guess we can worry about it if/when they leave. Would like to see them in a better offense though. Preferably ours.

Which article?

Well put!

They will have to make a splash at QB in the portal at QB and OL to keep guys from transferring. Regardless of what you think about stoops meddling in the Offense, the play calling has still been bad. The scheme seems nothing like what we saw last year and I think Coen is just a significantly better play caller than scang

I’ve been pretty pessimistic about NIL and the chances of continued progress for our program. I still am but damn I’m not ready to say we’re already sunk.

Hiring this dumbass Scarangelo or however it's spelled is going to prove to be a real program killer.
When will folks like you realize this is not the fault of the OCS that have been here to the present under MS. It doesn't make an ounce of difference who he hires. MS wants a heavy run first ball control offense with the
defense being his bread and butter. The trouble is those days are gone and he hasn't/won't change with the times. It's great to have a very good defense, but you must be able to outscore people because that is what the most successful teams have today. He needs to "genuinely" chance his philosophy quickly.

I heard Stoops make the comment on his Monday night coach's show that he was having to deal with every player being a free agent, every single year and how that compared so badly to the NFL. Sounded like he was giving advance notice to the fanbase that numerous departures were imminent.

Doesn’t need its own thread, but one of the KSR bros was on a pod talking that it seems like the Stoops/Sexton reaching out to other schools is a little more serious. In the past it’s felt like it was contract plays but now it feels different. He probably doesn’t know anything but thought it was interesting because those guys are basically paid to be sunshine pumpers.

• Sad
Reactions: RunninRichie
I heard Stoops make the comment on his Monday night coach's show that he was having to deal with every player being a free agent, every single year and how that compared so badly to the NFL. Sounded like he was giving advance notice to the fanbase that numerous departures were imminent.
I didn't really read it that way. My understanding was he's re-recruiting his own players but also that UK will be very active in the portal game now that UK has a NIL program in place. Don't think he's going to roll over and quit now, whether he has success is another story.

Last edited:
He made similar comments all the way back to the UF game, people weren't paying attention.

He made similar comments all the way back to the UF game, people weren't paying attention.
It wouldn't surprise me if Scang left on his own terms and went back to the league. The money may keep him here though, since a college OC job may pay more than a NFL position coach. I think Scang knows that being an OC for Stoops is a career killer if you stay for a while. I'm sure in the interview process Stoops is saying it's "your offense to run", but like a lot of conservative defensive minded coaches, when it comes game time it's all about being safe and trying to help the defense..

This debate is never ending with UK fans...is the offense Stoops fault or OC's fault. In reality it's a bit of both. But if Stoops was so hand tying of OC then why was Coen not hand tied last year and the offense was completely fine? That one makes no sense to me.

Rams, McVey (and for that matter many NFL teams) don't just throw it 90% of time. They are mostly balanced run/pass with a 60/40 pass/run split.

Trying to convince me Scangerello is really an offensive master and Stoops is holding this all back is not happening yet. Scang/Yenser look like over complex guys who can't get their squad to execute a damn pass or run play consistently for squat. Scangerello NFL resume is littered with Broncos, 49ers, Eagles and none of those teams had good offensive years when he's been part of the ingredients. He looks like a head knowledge guy that can't translate to players.

Scang/Yenser look like over complex guys who can't get their squad to execute a damn pass or run play consistently
Honestly, at this point, I would be happier if our linemen (when fooled by a stunt or twist) were close enough to hold the defender. Hey, you get by with holding maybe 35 percent of the time, and it leaves no marks on your QB.

Reactions: K_TIME
I’ve been pretty pessimistic about NIL and the chances of continued progress for our program. I still am but damn I’m not ready to say we’re already sunk.
I can agree not sunk yet but you have to admit the ship is taking on water.
If the per say holes in this ship is not fixed sooner rather than later than this ship will sink.

Reactions: ACT ONE and Dddjdd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT