ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona brings Romar aboard

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Poor HC but a hell of a recruiter.
Arizona Wildcats name Romar associate head coach. apne.ws/2oiPunw

He was a poor HC the last couple years but he had a great run by Washington's standards. Multiple conference championships and tourney wins. Pretty much the perfect assistant that can focus on recruiting.

PG is the one position Miller hasn't been able to land.

Miller was a pretty damn good coach at Xavier before he was getting top recruits

Figured he'd land in his feet with a HC job easily. Maybe he's an assistant and is comfortable in the recruiting role.

Good pick up. Will make recruiting easier. If he could sell Washington with him as head coach he will do great at Arizona with a real coach

Sean Miller has to be the most overrated Coach out there.But he keeps getting a pass for some reason.

Kind of weird move. But it's their money. Recruiting really hasn't been a problem

Smart move by Miller and Arizona. Don't expect he will be there in that role long though. This news makes it even more odd to hear Antigua landing in Illinois. Don't know what happened but, everything in the breeze seemed to say he was headed back to Lexington. We'll regret not making that happen I'm afraid.

Miller is not a coaching genius, but I have no idea why people say he's the worst when the examples of guys worse are so abundant - for starters, the guy he just hired.

Guys like Pastner, Jones, Romar, Rice, are MUCH better examples of do nothing with lots than Miller.

I think Barnes is a better example of it, too.

If you look at the talent he's had and how long he's been doing it, Miller is really like the next Bill Self.

He'll get top tier talent, just a little less than K and Cal, and he'll get much, much worse results than those two. But he'll still be dangerous most years and if you give him a few decades, he'll get a couple final fours and maybe a championship.

That is way different from some of the crapshow coaches you guys are comparing him to.

The second-tier coach club - not quite elite performers considering the talent they've had over the years, but hey, most schools would be happy with them.
President - Bill Self.
Vice President - Jim Boeheim.
Treasurer - Sean Miller.
Gargamel Impersonator - Thad Matta.

Nice move by Miller.

Dude is a hell of a recruiter with deep west coast roots.

Bit of an arms race right now between UCLA and Zona to see who will be the first west coast power to reemerge and cut down some nets.

Good move. Although recruiting hasn't been a problem, Miller is no longer the 19 and under coach. So that's about to get alot tougher

So this gives Arizona 2 great recruiters and 0 great coaches. High seed, miss the final four, rinse and repeat

Sadly they already recruit really well. Not sure how having a strong recruiter will help Miller coach games any better, but best of luck to them.
You are rite it doesn't matter how many great players they get, they still have to coach them. I don't wish them good luck. I hope they continue to choke year after year with all that talent,, what a wonderful sight. I don't want Miller anywhere near our program as the next head coach.

Miller isn't a bad coach.. but he has yet to prove he can win the big games. No Final 4's despite many teams having great odds to get that far. He's yet to get over that hump.

Still.. Miller and Romar are a great tandem.. they'll be in the hunt for several #1 classes for the next few years.

Really good coach but not elite. Multi year success at two programs. Recruits well and wins conference titles consistently. He'll get over the hump soon.

Because it's a big step down from head coach at a major power five school that landed the number one pick to being an assistant for a former conference rival. He could have landed a head gig at a smaller school easily.

Because it's a big step down from head coach at a major power five school that landed the number one pick to being an assistant for a former conference rival. He could have landed a head gig at a smaller school easily.

Ok Gonzo, you are right.

I tend to think the exact opposite of this. If Romar takes a job at some no name "small" school it may take him a few season of obvious building and success to garner big time interest. Being an assistant at a big time program is a no brainer alternative. His spotlight at Arizona is much larger than what you suggested.

This could be a single season launch pad for Romar. I can't Imagine him staying in Tucson very long. Talk about his coaching all you want, the recruiting background is very appealing.

Not that I'm aware of. Cals the new under 19 coach. Simon might well be on the staff
Well I know Simon is part of the team USA coaching. But I can see how Cal couldn't coach that team. I think we should see great things with Cal's ability to get more out of younger guys. Maybe Simon in 17 and under?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT