ADVERTISEMENT

Anything New About Barker?

A case can be made for either Johnson or Barker to be the starting QB and those that say either one are trash are just not being objective. That being said, I don't expect there will be an opportunity to see how the competition goes this fall as I fully expect Barker to transfer over the summer.

Don't usually disagree with you, and unless you know something the rest of us don't, I disagree. If Barker is physically unable to perform, where does he goes? And if he is able to compete, he has the talent to be a starter at some time this coming year. We all know that the backup is just one play from being a starter.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
TheCatsPause247‏@TheCatsPause247 19s19 seconds ago
Drew Barker not expected to be full-go this spring, Stoops says http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-football-coach-Mark-Stoops-updates-status-of-Drew-Barke-51634229… via @AlexForknerTCP #BBN

"It's my understanding that the doctors are going to let him do a little bit more after spring break. I don't think it'll be at a point where he's in any 11-on-11, but maybe some seven-on-seven or half-line or one-on-ones," Stoops said. "He's done some of that, but they're limiting how far he can throw the football right now."

A few other Cats are being held out of action while recovering from injury. Tight end C.J. Conrad is recovering from offseason surgery to repair an injured shoulder, defensive end Alvonte Bell is rehabbing from knee surgery and early enrollees Walker Wood and Bryant Koback have yet to be cleared to return from leg injuries sustained during their final high school seasons

That just doesn't sound good to me for him ever playing again for UK. If he can't compete this Spring, SJ is the man for 2017 if he wasn't already.

Someone said that last Fall & I thought they were premature, but looking more & more the case. At this point, I wonder if he'll ever be football healthy. Hope I'm wrong.

That just doesn't sound good to me for him ever playing again for UK. If he can't compete this Spring, SJ is the man for 2017 if he wasn't already.

Someone said that last Fall & I thought they were premature, but looking more & more the case. At this point, I wonder if he'll ever be football healthy. Hope I'm wrong.

I've been skeptical about his return from the get-go. Back injuries/surgery are nothing to screw around with. Hope Barker heals and can play again someday.

Barker aside, I sure hope Bell and Conrad are good to go in the Fall.

vhcat70, alot of me has never been the same, and I've had no surgery.

RV2, can't Barker apply for a medical redshirt? I hope he stays, as he has talent, and could compete, at least in '18.

vhcat70, alot of me has never been the same, and I've had no surgery.

RV2, can't Barker apply for a medical redshirt? I hope he stays, as he has talent, and could compete, at least in '18.

Not RV but, no. (OK he can apply, just won't be granted.) You have to miss two season due to a situation beyond the players control to obtain a waiver of the five to play four rule. It's actually that rule that is the problem. IE even if he were granted a medical hardship waiver, he would then still only have two years against the five to play four rule. Since Barker took a normal redshirt his first year, that is not considered beyond the players control.

Last edited:
We lost to Southern Miss because the defensive signals werent changed.

Barker got injured in an early series v Florida and tried to play through it.

I support keeping SJ unless DB can capably prove he should unseat him, but lets not act like there's zero merit to opening the competition. I like SJ but we have to acknowledge he does have issues.

Well, it gets crazy when fans start playing doctor when discussing a kid's injury. Barker evidently suffered from nerve impingement which was resolved via surgery. As he works his way back, the idea that fans can offer his prognosis is highly unlikely, even those who may be orthopedic surgeons. We have general information about he procedure, but were informed, as would be expected, that he had immediate relief after the procedure. It should be no surprise that he is not playing this spring. Or, that Koback is sitting spring out. A conservative approach to recovery is best for the student. We will know more in the fall.

We lost to Southern Miss because the defensive signals werent changed.

Barker got injured in an early series v Florida and tried to play through it.

I support keeping SJ unless DB can capably prove he should unseat him, but lets not act like there's zero merit to opening the competition. I like SJ but we have to acknowledge he does have issues.

I think it likely that Barker was injured in the beginning of the second half of the Southern Miss game. He tried to play through the injury and it was exacerbated on the first series against Florida and again against New Mexico. From what I hear, Stoops deserves some criticism for pressing Barker into play with the injury. I think Stoops did not understand the extent or genesis of the problem and wanted Barker to be a leader and play through the pain.

Reactions: RV2
I think it likely that Barker was injured in the beginning of the second half of the Southern Miss game. He tried to play through the injury and it was exacerbated on the first series against Florida and again against New Mexico. From what I hear, Stoops deserves some criticism for pressing Barker into play with the injury. I think Stoops did not understand the extent or genesis of the problem and wanted Barker to be a leader and play through the pain.
I like your earlier post better, where you said the fans shouldn't play doctor regarding a players injury. They also probably shouldn't play coach regarding the injury either. We don't know what Stoops knew or didn't know!

I like your earlier post better, where you said the fans shouldn't play doctor regarding a players injury. They also probably shouldn't play coach regarding the injury either. We don't know what Stoops knew or didn't know!

I don't disagree about "playing coach." But, on occasion, you get information from people with inside info and, in those instances, I have less reservations about making such comments. When parents of a player provide info, such a situation can exist. Take it anyway you want. Stoops is my football coach and I am happy he is. That said, he is human and makes mistakes. My source seemed to believe this was one such situation.

From what has been reported he is in good health and throwing the ball well. He could very well fit nicely in the puzzle as a likely starter in 2018 and primary backup to Johnson this season.
From what I'm told, Johnson will not start. I don't know who will though.

If you're going to be a troll, at least be smart enough to realize the job isn't going to be decided 2 Spring practices in.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to be a troll, at least be smart enough to realize the job isn't going to be decided 2 Spring practices in.
Not a troll and I'm right. It was decided last year. I don't really care one way or the other and I never have sources but I came upon one. Might be wrong but seemed to be in the know. Keep my user name down and send me a shout if I'm wrong....unless it's simply due to injuries which could be. It'll be named before the first game.

Not a troll and I'm right. It was decided last year. I don't really care one way or the other and I never have sources but I came upon one. Might be wrong but seemed to be in the know. Keep my user name down and send me a shout if I'm wrong....unless it's simply due to injuries which could be. It'll be named before the first game.
Is your source hallucination drugs?

“He’s further along than we thought he’d be,” Darin Hinshaw said of Barker, who has been limited in reps and throwing distances as he recovers. “I really think he’ll get to compete some this spring after spring break. We’re not going to jump into it with him because we don’t want to do something to set him backward because he’s gone so far forward.

“We’re going to gradually wean him in to getting some playing time and all that stuff this spring. I think you’ll see him out there and hopefully he’ll get to participate in the spring game, so we’ll see.”

I hope not but I can say he was standing on the sidelines last year.

So is he on the sidelines during spring practices?

I know I told you that crap but I thought you were smart enough not to swallow it hook, line and sinker. Evidently I was wrong. Mia culpa.

Geez...not this crap again.

SJ is 100% the QB at UK next year (injuries aside). What next...I guess Eli Brown is going to put Jordan Jones on bench as well.

Reactions: mrschwump
Geez...not this crap again.

SJ is 100% the QB at UK next year (injuries aside). What next...I guess Eli Brown is going to put Jordan Jones on bench as well.
100% your guess. I know what I was told. Not my opinion at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT