ADVERTISEMENT

Anything New About Barker?

From what has been reported he is in good health and throwing the ball well. He could very well fit nicely in the puzzle as a likely starter in 2018 and primary backup to Johnson this season.

Wouldn't totally surprise me if he wins the starting job in Spring. Obviously Johnson is the incumbent but Barker was THE guy coming out of fall camp. Stoops and Gran both sang his praises. In theory, he's a much better short and medium range passer than Johnson. SJ throws a better deep ball and runs better (although DB is not a statue). If he's 100% healthy, he'll give SJ very tough competition. Whoever wins the job will be better than last year because the competition will require it.

Reactions: redbudman
I understand that Johnson earned respect by what happened on the field, but I do not understand why everyone is so certain Johnson is our starter. For one, Barker is actually the incumbent as most coaches do not allow players to lose their position due to injury and for two,our offense is better with a healthy Barker. I know people are going to say what about the small snap shot we got of Barker this year, but I would wager he was hurt early in the season and tried to play through it. I don't mean to come across as harsh on Johnson, but it is the typical cliché of the QB gets to much credit when we win and to much blame when we lose. Our turnaround was predicated by our running game and Defensive turnaround... there where times we couldn't complete a pass and Johnson played really, really terrible. Kids respond to him, I agree, he throws a decent deep ball, I agree... but he has no accuracy and no arm strength for a QB that can throw a deep ball so well. His poor mechanics contributes to this and also his fumbling problems. I am sorry, I know most will disagree and some will call me crazy, but if Johnson is our starter next year, I don't see us taking a big step forward. We will lose some on the running game, we need to be able to open the field up with the pass and unless Johnson improves dramatically in the off season, he cannot do that- Barker can. There were times this year defenses dared us to pass.....and that is because Johnson isn't a complete QB. So, I for one hope that the position is at least open for battle this spring and fall

Last edited:
I understand that Johnson earned respect by what happened on the field, but I do not understand why everyone is so certain Johnson is out starter. For one, Barker is actually the incumbent as most coaches do not allow players to lose their position due to injury and for two,our offense is better with a healthy Barker. I know people are going to say what about the small snap shot we got of Barker this year, but I would wager he was hurt early in the season and tried to play through it. I don't mean to come across as harsh on Johnson, but it is the typical cliché of the QB gets to much credit when we win and to much blame when we lose. Our turnaround was predicated by our running game and Defensive turnaround... there where times we couldn't complete a pass and Johnson played really, really terrible. Kids respond to him, I agree, he throws a decent deep ball, I agree... but he has no accuracy and no arm strength for a QB that can throw a deep ball so well. His poor mechanics contributes to this and also his fumbling problems. I am sorry, I know most will disagree and some will call me crazy, but if Johnson is our starter next year, I don't see us taking a big step forward. We will lose some on the running game, we need to be able to open the field up with the pass and unless Johnson improves dramatically in the off season, he cannot do that- Barker can. There were times this year defenses dared us to pass.....and that is because Johnson isn't a complete QB. So, I for one hope that the position is at least open for battle this spring and fall
We will lose running game without Johnson not the other way around. Is Barker gonna run for 500 yards? I like Barker but how you can't definitively say he's better than Johnson in any aspect off one half is hard to believe. Only thing you can say for certain is Barker has stronger arm. I like Barker and hope he's so good he makes the coaches start him but he will have to be a draft pick for that to happen.

Reactions: Kingseve1
Stoops said a few weeks ago he expects him to compete in Spring practice. I look forward to reports on how he plays.

You could very well be right but I don't remember it that way. What I do recall was Stoops said Barker would do 7 on 7 stuff but would not take part in contact or potential contact drills. The caveat here is I'm 70 years old and have slept since then.

Reactions: CB3UK
Wouldn't totally surprise me if he wins the starting job in Spring. Obviously Johnson is the incumbent but Barker was THE guy coming out of fall camp. Stoops and Gran both sang his praises. In theory, he's a much better short and medium range passer than Johnson. SJ throws a better deep ball and runs better (although DB is not a statue). If he's 100% healthy, he'll give SJ very tough competition. Whoever wins the job will be better than last year because the competition will require it.
Thank heavens, we have THREE highly skilled QB's. Think about that, folks.

Reactions: CB3UK
I agree Barker has a chance. Johnson and the RPO opened this offense up where they could stay on the field longer, keeping the defense from getting gased so quickly. That extra dimension that Johnson had made teams have to respect his legs, along with the thunder and lighting that Boom and Benny brought.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
I understand that Johnson earned respect by what happened on the field, but I do not understand why everyone is so certain Johnson is out starter. For one, Barker is actually the incumbent as most coaches do not allow players to lose their position due to injury and for two,our offense is better with a healthy Barker. I know people are going to say what about the small snap shot we got of Barker this year, but I would wager he was hurt early in the season and tried to play through it. I don't mean to come across as harsh on Johnson, but it is the typical cliché of the QB gets to much credit when we win and to much blame when we lose. Our turnaround was predicated by our running game and Defensive turnaround... there where times we couldn't complete a pass and Johnson played really, really terrible. Kids respond to him, I agree, he throws a decent deep ball, I agree... but he has no accuracy and no arm strength for a QB that can throw a deep ball so well. His poor mechanics contributes to this and also his fumbling problems. I am sorry, I know most will disagree and some will call me crazy, but if Johnson is our starter next year, I don't see us taking a big step forward. We will lose some on the running game, we need to be able to open the field up with the pass and unless Johnson improves dramatically in the off season, he cannot do that- Barker can. There were times this year defenses dared us to pass.....and that is because Johnson isn't a complete QB. So, I for one hope that the position is at least open for battle this spring and fall
SJ led this team to a 7-3 record as a starter...how on God's green earth can you say that our offense is better with DB as a starter? That makes absolutely no sense when you have nothing to base it on. SJ should go into spring and fall practice as #1 and DB should have to win the job

He doesn't have to be a draft pick. Just has to be better than anyone we already have. Or are you saying you believe Johnson is a draft pick?????

Stephen Johnson is our QB.

Barker isn't half as good as him. Sorry. He proved that and some of you still doubt him.

As Slugger said, took us too a 7-3 record.

Stephen Johnson is our QB.

Barker isn't half as good as him. Sorry. He proved that and some of you still doubt him.

As Slugger said, took us too a 7-3 record.
Barker was the the top QB recruit in the class of 14. Steve Spurrier went all in to recruit him. Now fans degrade him as a has been unworthy of carrying Stephen Johnson's jock strap. Just amazingly stupid, insipid comments.

While I appreciate Johnson's play. I am of the opinion Benny Snell's emergence was the biggest factor in our 7 wins. His yards after contact is amazing. I saw times we got very little from the QB position. And I don't care who the QB is. Just need more production from that spot. And that wouldn't take much.

Barker was the the top QB recruit in the class of 14. Steve Spurrier went all in to recruit him. Now fans degrade him as a has been unworthy of carrying Stephen Johnson's jock strap. Just amazingly stupid, insipid comments.
Wrong. Barker wasn't even the #1 Pocket Passing QB. #9. What does Steve Spurrier recruitng have to do with anything?

Johnson lead us to our first bowl game since 2010. Barker is overrated and the Florida game proved it.

He doesn't have to be a draft pick. Just has to be better than anyone we already have. Or are you saying you believe Johnson is a draft pick?????
No what I'm saying is Johnson is the clear leader of this team. These players have endured a bunch of losing and finally have a guy leading them who proved he could win games. Gran and Stoops are not gonna mess with that unless Drew is so good he's the kind of talent who will be drafted. Johnson may not be a big time talent but he won games period.

No what I'm saying is Johnson is the clear leader of this team. These players have endured a bunch of losing and finally have a guy leading them who proved he could win games. Gran and Stoops are not gonna mess with that unless Drew is so good he's the kind of talent who will be drafted. Johnson may not be a big time talent but he won games period.
And you need a dual threat QB in this day of CFB. It's a necessity.

Wrong. Barker wasn't even the #1 Pocket Passing QB. #9. What does Steve Spurrier recruitng have to do with anything?

Johnson lead us to our first bowl game since 2010. Barker is overrated and the Florida game proved it.
Yes Barker played poorly the Florida game but Johnson didn't play well that game either. I hope that Johnson and Barker play great. It would just be nice to have some great QB play.

Yes Barker played poorly the Florida game but Johnson didn't play well that game either. I hope that Johnson and Barker play great. It would just be nice to have some great QB play.
Yeah, because he didn't come in until late 3rd quarter and they were already down 30. At least he got a TD.

Reactions: Kingseve1

Time to hit the ignore button. Your comments defy explanation or taking time to debate. Sad.

Time to hit the ignore button. Your comments defy explanation or taking time to debate. Sad.
What because I told the truth? Barker was god awful. . Johnson DID lead us too our first bowl game since 2010 You also posted false information of Barker being the top QB recruit of 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barker was not the top QB recruit in the 2014. He was ranked 5th pro style QB. It is surprising but most of the top QB recruits don't make it on the college level. He was the best we signed and Spurrier did recruit him but once they get on campus their HS rankings are not very relevant. It is a much greater accomplishment to lead a college team to a bowl season especially if you are new on campus and take over during the season AND if it is Kentucky. No one is saying Barker is not a good QB but he has not really done much at UK and our fans have been burned with the hype of other guys like Towles who never really lived up to their HS reputation. Stephen Johnson has done something rare at UK and that accomplishment will be very hard for Barker to beat, at least on the practice field.

What is your definition of lead? The games I watched our running backs and o-line were the ones leading this team. I don't think you can lead turning the ball over consistently. And when you only throw 7-10 times a game. Johnson reminded me of Matt roark. Kid played hard just not very talented. It was a good thing Snell caught fire. But I hope Johnson gets a ton better in the off season and we get more production from the QB. I think Johnson is the clear starter to start spring. But we got to improve that position. Whether it's him, Drew or Hoak.

What is your definition of lead? The games I watched our running backs and o-line were the ones leading this team. I don't think you can lead turning the ball over consistently. And when you only throw 7-10 times a game. Johnson reminded me of Matt roark. Kid played hard just not very talented. It was a good thing Snell caught fire. But I hope Johnson gets a ton better in the off season and we get more production from the QB. I think Johnson is the clear starter to start spring. But we got to improve that position. Whether it's him, Drew or Hoak.

Did you watch New Mexico St, Austin Peay, Miss State, Mizzou, or Louisville game. We lose all those games without Stephen Johnson. It takes more than just one player to move the offense. Kentucky has Benny, SJ, and some good WRs. Benny can't do it on his own. Austin Peay was stuffing him until SJ came off bench. UL stuffed Benny, so SJ took over

Did you watch New Mexico St, Austin Peay, Miss State, Mizzou, or Louisville game. We lose all those games without Stephen Johnson. It takes more than just one player to move the offense. Kentucky has Benny, SJ, and some good WRs. Benny can't do it on his own. Austin Peay was stuffing him until SJ came off bench. UL stuffed Benny, so SJ took over
Yes. I watched. I appreciate the fact the kid plays hard. He is just not very talented. And for us to improve as a team imo we need to improve that position. Not saying that Barker is the one to improve but either Johnson needs to get a ton better or someone needs to step up. If we have a good QB last year we win 9 games imo. QB play hurt us last year. We don't need someone to hang on our get by. We need someone to truly lead this offense. Jmo

Would be interesting to know what some are looking for when they say a D1 qb is not very talented. Especially when we won 7 games with him at qb and probably would have won 8 if he had played in game 1.

The Austin Peay game told me all I need to know about Johnson. The team rallied around him and we won the game, a game we probably lose if he does not come off the bench. He has the respect of his teammates and sometimes that trumps talent.

The Austin Peay game told me all I need to know about Johnson. The team rallied around him and we won the game, a game we probably lose if he does not come off the bench. He has the respect of his teammates and sometimes that trumps talent.

Fresh off a Knee injury to boot. The little guy has ballz of steel

Reactions: allabouttheUK
What some are failing to realize is if you have a QB that is a threat to run from a read option or RPO type plays, it requires more attention to be focused on the QB by the opposing defense, that in turn makes it a bit easier for the running backs, and enhances the overall running game.

It's no coincidence that the two teams that played in the national title game this year both had that type of quarterback. Not saying the day of the drop back passer is dead by any stretch, but more and more teams are realizing the big advantages that a duel threat QB can bring to the offense.

If it was all about arm talent, then DB is the guy...its not even close. That being said, when DB was in games he made some bad decisions and seemed to panic, never went through his progressions, didn't see wide open receivers. Some of that was due to bad protection, some due to lack of experience. He really has seen very little action in his 3 years at UK. But, SJ never got rattled, he was calm under pressure and made good decisions. When the game is on the line I would be hard pressed to find someone other SJ that I would rather have the ball. Both have upsides, not sure who would be better. At least we have quality options

Would be interesting to know what some are looking for when they say a D1 qb is not very talented. Especially when we won 7 games with him at qb and probably would have won 8 if he had played in game 1.[/QUOTE
What some are failing to realize is if you have a QB that is a threat to run from a read option or RPO type plays, it requires more attention to be focused on the QB by the opposing defense, that in turn makes it a bit easier for the running backs, and enhances the overall running game.

It's no coincidence that the two teams that played in the national title game this year both had that type of quarterback. Not saying the day of the drop back passer is dead by any stretch, but more and more teams are realizing the big advantages that a duel threat QB can bring to the offense.
I like true dual threat QB's but we don't currently have one unless Danny Clark is one.

I don't understand why some people feel like 'their' QB choice is great and the other guy therefore sucks. All three QBs could be viable choices and could bring something a little different to the table for the offense.

SJ played well and helped the team win games - no denying that. However, how many plays did we have SJ at WR and direct snap to Snell/Boom? Saying we had an 'RPO' option with SJ playing WR for multiple snaps is just flat out wrong. Gran obviously knew of SJ's limitations and game planned accordingly. The times when the offense really struggled was because SJ was so inconsistent on short and medium throws, something that DB was touted as being very good at (70% completion rate in spring practice according to the coaching staff). DB, for those who have forgotten, ran quite a bit in HS. Is he the runner that SJ is? Nope. But, when necessary, does it appear like he could scramble out of the pocket and pick up a few yards with this legs? I certainly think so and, at least in the limited time we saw him last year, the staff does, too.

I hope theirs is as fierce a competition between the 3 QBs as there has ever been at UK. It will make all 3 better and should lead to improved QB play in 2017, regardless of who wins the job. It's idiotic to say one is 'obviously' better and there's no way this guy could ever beat out the one you think should play. The coaches will give each a fair shake and go with whoever gives us the best chance to win. If that's SJ, doesn't mean DB or Hoak 'suck' and aren't SEC-quality QBs. Just means, for what we want to do, SJ is better. Same goes for whoever wins the job.

We'll see but I think whatever UK can get out of Barker will be gravy. Back injuries/surgery can be problematic despite proclamations of progress and success in recovery.

I think quarterback position heading into Spring practice is Stephen Johnson to lose. I think a healthy fit Drew Barker will give Stephen a good run.
No doubt Stephen needs work on getting stronger. He does imo have the (it) factor something ever good college quarterback I've watched play had.
Imagine by end of Spring game we will see improvement in both quarterbacks!

ADVERTISEMENT