ADVERTISEMENT

Anything New About Barker?

I think quarterback position heading into Spring practice is Stephen Johnson to lose. I think a healthy fit Drew Barker will give Stephen a good run.
No doubt Stephen needs work on getting stronger. He does imo have the (it) factor something ever good college quarterback I've watched play had.
Imagine by end of Spring game we will see improvement in both quarterbacks!
Great post. Seriously.

SJ led this team to a 7-3 record as a starter...how on God's green earth can you say that our offense is better with DB as a starter? That makes absolutely no sense when you have nothing to base it on. SJ should go into spring and fall practice as #1 and DB should have to win the job

everyone is entitled to their opinion, I clearly stated why I do not agree. Our 7-3 record was accomplished after the offense was revamped- we ran the ball 70% of the time or more and our D actually started to get better. Again, I appreciate Johnson, but he isn't as good as every wants to make him out to be... sorry, just don't agree with you. Like the kid, but I just don't agree

We will lose running game without Johnson not the other way around. Is Barker gonna run for 500 yards? I like Barker but how you can't definitively say he's better than Johnson in any aspect off one half is hard to believe. Only thing you can say for certain is Barker has stronger arm. I like Barker and hope he's so good he makes the coaches start him but he will have to be a draft pick for that to happen.

Agree to disagree. Sure Johnson ran for a few yards, but that was because of the scheme and it is also true, he struggled to hit 5 yards outs... and fumbled 2 times a game.... again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I do appreciate Johnson's ability to motivate his teammates, doesn't mean I think he is a good QB and unless he comes out better this year, nothing is going to change that opinion for me- respect to all of those who disagree as I said in the beginning, but we can leave it at that, agree to disagree

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincoln_Cat90
We'll see but I think whatever UK can get out of Barker will be gravy. Back injuries/surgery can be problematic despite proclamations of progress and success in recovery.

now this I completely agree with, the debate is probably a moot point as it is a very high possibility that Barker is never the same and let's be honest, he hasn't shown the best decision making off the field since he has been there either

Reactions: Kentucky31
Man, that's hilarious. I mean, what a sense of humor you have! I'm crying! You should be doing comedy! Really, how long did it take you to come up with that one?! Whoo-Weee!!!

Thanks! It was very easy since the joke wrote itself. I'm crying!!! Seeww-Weee-Mamma

We will lose running game without Johnson not the other way around. Is Barker gonna run for 500 yards? I like Barker but how you can't definitively say he's better than Johnson in any aspect off one half is hard to believe. Only thing you can say for certain is Barker has stronger arm. I like Barker and hope he's so good he makes the coaches start him but he will have to be a draft pick for that to happen.

and losing some on the running game has nothing to do with Johnson or Barker... I say the running game will take a hit because it has to do with the fact our backs will not be as deep next year, we won't be able to run the wildcat 8 out of 10 plays and we probably won't have two 1000 yard backs which allow SJ to have the freedom to have most of those yards as teams focused on Boom and Snell

I like true dual threat QB's but we don't currently have one unless Danny Clark is one.

Not sure how you would define a "true" duel threat but Johnson had 83 yards rushing against UofL 72 against UT, 55 against Vandy, 51 against NMW, and 49 against GaTech. Planned runs were not part of the game plan against some teams like Mizzou whose defense was so porous it wasn't necessary to risk haveing the QB keep.

Reactions: Kingseve1
now this I completely agree with, the debate is probably a moot point as it is a very high possibility that Barker is never the same and let's be honest, he hasn't shown the best decision making off the field since he has been there either

I'm not going to keep punishing Barker for something he did off the field 2-3 years ago. As far as I know he's kept his nose clean since then, should be commended for showing maturity.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
We weren't going to lose to Austin Peay if SJ didn't come into the game. That's just being ridiculous. Worse case scenario, we would have just stopped throwing the ball completely and ran it down their throats.

As to the QB controversy: I think the Drew Barker we all thought we were getting is the QB the coaches want. Unfortunately, we haven't seen that QB yet.

Steven Johnson, I love the kid's grit and moxy. Not impressed with his QB ability though (with the exception of the UL game). SJ benefited from an outstanding pair of running backs and the best oline that we may have ever had. Missing Toth and Boom this year, I don't think we are just going to be able to line up and run over people, and if that is the case and SJ is our QB, we are going to struggle.

Hoak: I don't know enough about him to even have an opinion.

What is your definition of lead? The games I watched our running backs and o-line were the ones leading this team. I don't think you can lead turning the ball over consistently. And when you only throw 7-10 times a game. Johnson reminded me of Matt roark. Kid played hard just not very talented. It was a good thing Snell caught fire. But I hope Johnson gets a ton better in the off season and we get more production from the QB. I think Johnson is the clear starter to start spring. But we got to improve that position. Whether it's him, Drew or Hoak.
I think you are seeing what you want to see. The QB is the team leader. He handles the ball on almost every play. He isn't Joe Montana but he did a great job considering everything. Winning football games is how you should judge a QB not by style and stats. Winning is the skill everyone is looking for and the hardest to find. Handling the pressure and performing in the game environment is an extremely rare ability.

I think this year we will have to throw the ball more successfully than we did this past year. The wins we had in the SEC will be harder to come by next year with several of those teams improving substantially. I want the best QB on the field next year regardless if that's Johnson or Barker.

SJ has his faults. But, the guy is the definition of a DUAL THREAT QB. Great long ball and if you give him an opening he can run 25-75 yards on you. This spreads the field and makes opposing defenses much more vulnerable. Very tough to defend to 3rd and short with a guy like SJ, and we saw him pick up many crucial 3rd downs with his feet that guys like Barker, Woodson,and Hartline couldn't pull off without throwing.

Also, very tough to defend the run against SJ. If you bring the house to stuff the run you leave the WRs lightly defended and his Strength is the 30-55 yard pass. If you don't load the box, then he hands it off to Benny or Boom or runs it himself.

I guess I must have dreamed the many, many times in 3rd and short, we snapped directly to the RB while SJ was out playing WR. Look, SJ did a great job last year. But, he's not Jalen Hurts or Johnny Football (thank God) or any number of Oregon QBs who could both run really well and throw well. He, like everyone else, has him limitations. If he's put in a bunch of work on holding onto the football, decision making and accuracy in the 5-15 yard range, he should (and will) start and be fine. If he exhibits the same limitations as last year, I believe there could be someone beat him out. I don't think the results of 2016 should influence who will start in 2017 too much. Many of the wins we got could be laid at OL/Boom/Benny's feet just as well as at SJ's. Certainly SJ did his part. But, I think it's stretching a bit to suggest without SJ we don't win any/many of those same games.

but he has no accuracy and no arm strength for a QB that can throw a deep ball so well.

Well, for a QB with no accuracy and no arm strength, Johnson used some damn stunning "intangibles" or magic or something to end up in the top 5 nationally for TD throws of 40 yards or longer. The quote, above, is interesting. It's kinda' like saying that the US had poor war making abilities for a country that won two world wars.

I lean toward many of the responses, above. We have a good problem with our having options at quarterback, and given our 20 year history, there's as much as a 30% chance we will HAVE to see more than one quarterback during the season, because of injury.

I like Johnson, because I saw throws, repeatedly, that would have impressed J-Lo and Couch and Woodson.

Does Johnson improve short passing and ball security? Likely, given he has a full season, and now a Spring and Fall for detailed development.

Did Stephen Johnson have limitations in '16? Wouldn't any JC transfer have had them, the first year on that stage?

Did we use the Wildcat to cloth or hide Stephen Johnson's limitations? Maybe, but we'll have that option, again, to spell whoever the starter is, and it is named the "Wildcat" for a reason.

I'm not sure how many we would have won with me at QB.

I think I woulda' still been agile enough to take a snap, turn and hand the ball to Boom and Snell.

Damn glad this is an extraordinarily unlikely possibility, and it deserves a thread all to itself.

Might get some folks to actually try out.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
and losing some on the running game has nothing to do with Johnson or Barker... I say the running game will take a hit because it has to do with the fact our backs will not be as deep next year, we won't be able to run the wildcat 8 out of 10 plays and we probably won't have two 1000 yard backs which allow SJ to have the freedom to have most of those yards as teams focused on Boom and Snell
You're way over the top. We didn't run the ball 70% once SJ took over (Yes, over 60%.). And some runs were QB sacks listed as runs. SJ didn't fumble 2x per game. The team didn't average 2 per game & they weren't all SJ. UK running WC 8 of 10 plays? Absurd. Snell will carry considerably more this coming year & Bowden will relieve in the WC imo, so I don't see a diminished running game. SJ's arm is plenty strong. Hinshaw didn't pick him out the 25-30 he scouted because it was weak. His short passing accuracy improved a lot the last few games, particularly LV. Of course you don't have to like his contribution level for whatever reasons, but no reason to state inaccuracies to non-prove points.

Well, for a QB with no accuracy and no arm strength, Johnson used some damn stunning "intangibles" or magic or something to end up in the top 5 nationally for TD throws of 40 yards or longer. The quote, above, is interesting. It's kinda' like saying that the US had poor war making abilities for a country that won two world wars.

I lean toward many of the responses, above. We have a good problem with our having options at quarterback, and given our 20 year history, there's as much as a 30% chance we will HAVE to see more than one quarterback during the season, because of injury.

I like Johnson, because I saw throws, repeatedly, that would have impressed J-Lo and Couch and Woodson.

Does Johnson improve short passing and ball security? Likely, given he has a full season, and now a Spring and Fall for detailed development.

Did Stephen Johnson have limitations in '16? Wouldn't any JC transfer have had them, the first year on that stage?

Did we use the Wildcat to cloth or hide Stephen Johnson's limitations? Maybe, but we'll have that option, again, to spell whoever the starter is, and it is named the "Wildcat" for a reason.
Good post.

It's no coincidence that the two teams that played in the national title game this year both had that type of quarterback. Not saying the day of the drop back passer is dead by any stretch, but more and more teams are realizing the big advantages that a duel threat QB can bring to the offense.
The DT QB has come to the fore since the NCAA liberalized the OL allowed downfield on a pass distance rule to 3 yards from 1 yard - as it still is in the NFL. With that change, D can't switch focus to the run yet when OLmen are between 1& 3 yards downfield, so there's more room for the QB to run. So yes, no coincidence the DT QB preference is rising.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Barker was not the top QB recruit in the 2014. He was ranked 5th pro style QB. It is surprising but most of the top QB recruits don't make it on the college level. He was the best we signed and Spurrier did recruit him but once they get on campus their HS rankings are not very relevant. It is a much greater accomplishment to lead a college team to a bowl season especially if you are new on campus and take over during the season AND if it is Kentucky. No one is saying Barker is not a good QB but he has not really done much at UK and our fans have been burned with the hype of other guys like Towles who never really lived up to their HS reputation. Stephen Johnson has done something rare at UK and that accomplishment will be very hard for Barker to beat, at least on the practice field.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure why respected posters as yourself trash this young man and bring an almost reverential praise to Stephen Johnson. I have said many times on posts Mr. Johnson is the #1 QB going into spring. However, to dismiss Mr. Barker as a has been, inconsequential QB is unequivocally irresponsible. You are entitled to your opinion that I respect. Yet, you take a one dimensional point of view to a three dimensional analysis of our highly regarded QB depth.

Stephen Johnson is our QB.

Barker isn't half as good as him. Sorry. He proved that and some of you still doubt him.

As Slugger said, took us too a 7-3 record.

Who exactly did we beat last year beside UL that was a legitimate team? Until we can take down a Florida, LSU, TA&M, BAMA we aren't really beating anyone. Johnson is a terrible passer. Throws a good deep ball, but is terrible in the short to mid range game. He needs to drastically improve that to take us to the next level. And he's no Michael Vick running the ball either. Great kid and excellent ambassador for U.K. But not the QB we need. And Barker may not be either.

Stephen Johnson is our QB.

Barker isn't half as good as him. Sorry. He proved that and some of you still doubt him.

As Slugger said, took us too a 7-3 record.
This statement is absolutely silly. How can you claim Barker isn't half as good, did you not watch any of the games?

And Johnson going 7-3 is like Morgan Newton winning 6 games with, oh just a little help from Cobb and Locke. So how did we win 6 games with a turnover prone QB like Newton. We made him a non factor. We put him at receiver and used Cobb in the Wildcat. Exactly the same thing we did last year with Johnson.

Johnson is a marginal benefit in the running game. He does decent but he's not like Lamar Jackson. I think he ended up with like 300 rushing yards for the season which is good for a QB but it doesn't replace the inability to hit the TE on a 7 yard route. Nor does it make up for his high turnover rate.

Johnson has to improve big time or he likely will not finish the season as the starter. We can't have the TOs or the errant passes in the middle of the field. Barker hasn't proven that he can hit those throws yet either but neither has Johnson. Until he does the job is not "obviously his" as many would like to make it. He has to earn it.

Did you watch New Mexico St, Austin Peay, Miss State, Mizzou, or Louisville game. We lose all those games without Stephen Johnson. It takes more than just one player to move the offense. Kentucky has Benny, SJ, and some good WRs. Benny can't do it on his own. Austin Peay was stuffing him until SJ came off bench. UL stuffed Benny, so SJ took over
We absolutely beat Mizzou and Austin Peay without Johnson. The slow start against Peay isn't an indicator of much of anything. We would have thrashed them eventually with just about anyone at QB. Mizzou was beating any team that had Benny Snell on it. Also Johnson didn't play well at all against Miss State. That one might be debatable but I still think we win that one as well with Barker at QB.

Louisville is another story. No question we lose that one with out Johnson.

Who exactly did we beat last year beside UL that was a legitimate team? Until we can take down a Florida, LSU, TA&M, BAMA we aren't really beating anyone. Johnson is a terrible passer. Throws a good deep ball, but is terrible in the short to mid range game. He needs to drastically improve that to take us to the next level. And he's no Michael Vick running the ball either. Great kid and excellent ambassador for U.K. But not the QB we need. And Barker may not be either.
So you are automatically assuming that over a 9 month stretch ,with spring and fall workouts, along with summer individual instruction that SJ won't improve in these areas...not knocking DB, but remember this is his third year in the program and SJ's first...I think he'll be just fine and starting on 9-2..

I think this year we will have to throw the ball more successfully than we did this past year. The wins we had in the SEC will be harder to come by next year with several of those teams improving substantially. I want the best QB on the field next year regardless if that's Johnson or Barker.
I'm not so sure of that. We replace Bama with what will likely be a depleted Ole Miss. UT is going to be more beatable and it's at home. Florida is going to be a lot better but we get them here instead of in the swamp. I don't see any real improvement coming for either Vandy, or Mizzou. USC will be better but I'm not sure yet on how much. Miss State and Georgia will both be better and on the road. I'm pretty much counting on not winning those two. Over all the schedule will be about what it was this past year.

I can't remember the last season UK went through without having to go to a backup QB due to injuries or something else.

I am firmly in the camp that SJ should be our #1 QB, but Barker will get his chance during the season without a doubt. If he really shows that he has surpassed SJ as the man in that situation, than you end up benching SJ and going with the hot hand.

After the season we just had with SJ at QB, I don't see how you don't have him as the starting QB from day 1. Maybe that will change sometimes during the season. If not, Barker will grab the reigns in 2018 and keep our momentum going.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat

Well, we don't play Bama, LSU or A&M this year.

Mike Vick is a rarity.

How many big games has Barker won?

I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure why respected posters as yourself trash this young man and bring an almost reverential praise to Stephen Johnson. I have said many times on posts Mr. Johnson is the #1 QB going into spring. However, to dismiss Mr. Barker as a has been, inconsequential QB is unequivocally irresponsible. You are entitled to your opinion that I respect. Yet, you take a one dimensional point of view to a three dimensional analysis of our highly regarded QB depth.

Where exactly did I trash Barker? He has barely played and so he has been inconsequential to use your term, not mine. "Reverential praise", really? The facts are that the team with him at QB went to a bowl game for the first time since 2010 and won 7 games for the first time since 2009. They also tied for second in the SEC East which is the highest they have finished in the SEC since it was divided into divisions in 1992. The finished at .500 in the SEC in the first time in over 30 years. If you don't think Johnson contributed to that turn around after starting the season 0-2 then we have to disagree. The season and program was on the ropes when the QB change was made. The season turned around when Johnson took over and they changed the offense to suit his skills. Contrast that accomplishment with a guy who has barely played and that is all I have to say about that.

Barker should and will get a chance to win the job back. I don't think he will. I have nothing against Barker. I just think SJ will improve over the spring and fall practices and he also has a lot of game experience. It seems like the team also has confidence in him.

Where exactly did I trash Barker? He has barely played and so he has been inconsequential to use your term, not mine. "Reverential praise", really? The facts are that the team with him at QB went to a bowl game for the first time since 2010 and won 7 games for the first time since 2009. They also tied for second in the SEC East which is the highest they have finished in the SEC since it was divided into divisions in 1992. The finished at .500 in the SEC in the first time in over 30 years. If you don't think Johnson contributed to that turn around after starting the season 0-2 then we have to disagree. The season and program was on the ropes when the QB change was made. The season turned around when Johnson took over and they changed the offense to suit his skills. Contrast that accomplishment with a guy who has barely played and that is all I have to say about that.
The season turned around because Eddie Gran was our offensive coordinator and Darrin Hinshaw was the QB coach. They adjusted the offense to Mr. Johnson's skill set. That was why Johnson played to his ability and led our team. So, you continually compare Johnson to a highly skilled, but injured QB as if he were incompetent is shameful. Perhaps you didn't witness Barker's first half against Southern Miss. So, yes, you have stated your case. Finally, Mr. Johnson performed admirably, but he didn't do it alone.

So your basing Barker's accomplishments on 1 half of football?
No, I am basing Mr. Barker's abilities in terms of his performance against SM prior to his back injury. He was a prized 4-star QB recruit that nearly everyone on this board praised. Your analysis of our QB potential is simply close minded. Believe me, you are the type of fan who (for instance) saw Johnson falter in 2017 would scream for Barker or Hoak.

The season turned around because Eddie Gran was our offensive coordinator and Darrin Hinshaw was the QB coach. They adjusted the offense to Mr. Johnson's skill set. That was why Johnson played to his ability and led our team. So, you continually compare Johnson to a highly skilled, but injured QB as if he were incompetent is shameful. Perhaps you didn't witness Barker's first half against Southern Miss. So, yes, you have stated your case. Finally, Mr. Johnson performed admirably, but he didn't do it alone.
Did you watch the Otis game? STEPHEN JOHNSON outplayed the Heisman trophy winner.

Last edited:

Ok, I just missed that Barker played that outstanding half of football against Southern Miss by himself. I never said he was incompetent. He just has not done much in college. He has played in 8 games in 3 years and UK is 2-6 in those. The two wins are Charlotte in 2015 and New Mexico State this year when he played one series. He is a career 50% passer with 5 TD's and 7 Int's and a career rushing total of 22 yards with less than one yard a carry. Those are the facts and also giving him credit for a good half of football. Shameful? Goodness. I am out on this topic. I wish all 3 QB's the best and have no idea who will be the best this year but I also have no doubt who has performed better as a college QB, none whatsoever.

Did you watch the Otis game? STEPHEN JOHNSON outplayed the Hesisman trophy winner.
The Heisman Trophy winner fumbled allowing us to win. Johnson did not out play anyone. He played a good, steady game to keep us in it to the end. We got lucky. We won.

Was it lucky when SJ threw for 338 yards and 3 TDS and out rushed boom and Benny on a bump wheel?
Johnson is our QB. He has skills and great intuition for the game, Gran and Hinshaw coaching enhanced his abilities. UofL had a weak secondary and we exploited their weakness. He will be our QB in 2017. Be thankful that we have highly skilled back up QB's for the first time in decades.

Reactions: zcats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT