ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here think it's inaccurate

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
... to call Coach Pope a "replacement" for Cal?

I get the term isn't necessarily wrong, but he's so completely different of a coach and person that it sounds OFF calling him a "replacement."

He's the new coach, but he was chosen in good part because he ISN'T Cal-like. Going in a new direction is more accurate to me, so he doesn't seem like a replacement as much as a complete overhaul. I know it's picking nits, but it seems quite a bit different going from Pitino to Tubby than Cal to Pope.

Anybody else thinking the same?

... to call Coach Pope a "replacement" for Cal?

I get the term isn't necessarily wrong, but he's so completely different of a coach and person that it sounds OFF calling him a "replacement."

He's the new coach, but he was chosen in good part because he ISN'T Cal-like. Going in a new direction is more accurate to me, so he doesn't seem like a replacement as much as a complete overhaul. I know it's picking nits, but it seems quite a bit different going from Pitino to Tubby than Cal to Pope.

Anybody else thinking the same?
Pitino was a replacement for Sutton.

That worked out well, right?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He is the replacement. Cal was the former coach and left. He replaced him and filled the role. I know it's slow but we can do better than this lol.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
He "ain't" a Tesla type.

We need a gas guzzler... I think coach Pope is a muscle car waiting for the garage door to open.....

Go CATS!!!

Bad analogy.
A Tesla would beat the brakes off most muscle cars. The Model S Plaid will do 0-60 in two seconds. The dumbass Cybertruck, which weighs about 6500 lb, will do it in 2.6

Reactions: CatsDomain
Depends on what you mean. “Since Mark Pope replaced John Calipari at Kentucky, good signs have been steadily gaining momentum…” What else are they gonna say in a case like that?

Otoh five months have passed. At this point if anyone is calling Mark Pope “John Calipari’s replacement Mark Pope” instead of just, “Mark Pope,” yeah, that’s a little annoying.

Understandable, I guess. The biggest outlets don’t generally break stories. That means what they’re selling as news is not strictly news. But it’s still news to the wider, less informed, masses. So they have to gear their articles towards those folks if they want to hit that much larger market.

But still annoying, I agree.

Who'd coach Rupp replace?
As others said, Johnny Mauer. Mauer was a successful coach, but he played a slow methodical style nicknamed Submarine ball. Rupp wanted a faster pace that would give more talented players more opportunity to show their skills. Rupp had talked with the players about his style and had the backing of the players. When asked why he should be hired, he replied because he was the best damn coach in the country.

Reactions: BBUK
As others said, Johnny Mauer. Mauer was a successful coach, but he played a slow methodical style nicknamed Submarine ball. Rupp wanted a faster pace that would give more talented players more opportunity to show their skills. Rupp had talked with the players about his style and had the backing of the players. When asked why he should be hired, he replied because he was the best damn coach in the country.

Honestly not something I think about....

I just know it's a new era and the off-season has been a blast.

I'm ready for Pope to take over the bluegrass, SEC and then the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT