ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Here Have An Electric Car?

20K mile update.

Still no issues that requires attention, but here are a few little things that annoy me.

The cruise/self driving sensors are somewhat erratic at times. Even though I have the setting at "late" meaning it shouldn't react until "late", it sometimes gives me a "hard" brake and I'm not within 5 car lengths of the person in front of me.

Also, the rain sensor for the auto wipers is erratic. Sometimes it works as it should and other times the window is completely wet before it will activate. I may contact TESLA to see if they have an upgrade to replace the sensors.

After learning all or at least most of the features the screen offers, I have come to the conclusion I don't care for the screen. Voice activation helps, but I think the screen controlling everything will eventually go the way of the Dodo bird.

Battery charging. I installed a 220V charger in my garage when I bought the car and it's the best thing anyone can do if they have a place to charge at home.

Battery may be starting to show some degradation. Maximum charge is 358 miles, but now it's fluctuating. Sometimes I will get 351 and sometimes it maxes out at 347. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Currently it's no big deal, but I will continue to monitor it.

When I bought the TESLA, I only looked at TESLA due to their charging capabilities nationwide and their dedicated service centers. If I was in the market today for an EV, I would look around. There are more choices out there today that wasn't there this time last year when I ordered mine.

My wife drives it everyday and we both still love it. The only maintenance I have done is rotate the tires.
Serious question. Why does the self-driving car need windshield wipers?

I actually agree. Rode in a Tesla the other day and it was like going really fast in a golf cart, was kind of odd. My brother has an old school high end combustion engine race car and driving fast in that feels exhilarating, I’m sure the Tesla I rode in was probably faster but it had absolutely none of the feel.

That’s my biggest issue with EVs.

They are great for simply commuting or driving around town (I’m actually considering getting a EV for my wife). But if you are someone who enjoys driving for driving’s sake, EVs are pretty depressing.

They are big, heavy drag racers that provide a sterile driving experience and offer nothing in terms of engagement. The torque of an electric motor is certainly amazing, but an electric motor has no character. For me, there are few things more enjoyable than driving on a two lane road with the radio off and windows down so you can listen to the engine as you run it up through the rev range. EVs simply can’t offer anything close to that.

And that’s before you get into the issue of how heavy the current generation of EVs are. A Tesla Model S weighs about 1,200 pounds more than my car. That’s massive. An electric motor’s torque can overcome the weight when it comes to acceleration, but it can’t address the problem of slowing that mass down under braking, or of managing weight transfer or fix the lifeless steering.

I’m sure as batteries improve in the future, they’ll fix the weight issue but for now I’ll stick with my combustion engine.

Serious question. Why does the self-driving car need windshield wipers?
Because Teslas aren’t even close to actually being self driving cars. The Full Self Driving option is basically snake oil. Elon has been saying Tesla is one year away from actually having true self driving cars since like 2012. It’s a problem Tesla will probably never solve, especially because the cars rely solely on cameras and don’t use radar or LiDAR like every other car these days does.

That’s my biggest issue with EVs.

They are great for simply commuting or driving around town (I’m actually considering getting a EV for my wife). But if you are someone who enjoys driving for driving’s sake, EVs are pretty depressing.

They are big, heavy drag racers that provide a sterile driving experience and offer nothing in terms of engagement. The torque of an electric motor is certainly amazing, but an electric motor has no character. For me, there are few things more enjoyable than driving on a two lane road with the radio off and windows down so you can listen to the engine as you run it up through the rev range. EVs simply can’t offer anything close to that.

And that’s before you get into the issue of how heavy the current generation of EVs are. A Tesla Model S weighs about 1,200 pounds more than my car. That’s massive. An electric motor’s torque can overcome the weight when it comes to acceleration, but it can’t address the problem of slowing that mass down under braking, or of managing weight transfer or fix the lifeless steering.

I’m sure as batteries improve in the future, they’ll fix the weight issue but for now I’ll stick with my combustion engine.
Had a Model 3 performance for a few days this week and holy crap I hated it. I was bored with the acceleration in about five minutes. Such a sterile experience. And honestly even the instant torque wasn’t that impressive.

And don’t get me started on how every single control is on a touch screen. To adjust the mirrors you have to navigate through a menu on the screen and then use scroll wheels on the steering wheel. It’s awful.

I’ll keep my V8, thank you.

Had a Model 3 performance for a few days this week and holy crap I hated it. I was bored with the acceleration in about five minutes. Such a sterile experience. And honestly even the instant torque wasn’t that impressive.

And don’t get me started on how every single control is on a touch screen. To adjust the mirrors you have to navigate through a menu on the screen and then use scroll wheels on the steering wheel. It’s awful.

Yeah, I really dislike the use of touchscreens in cars.

There’s something to be said for using analog buttons/switches. They’re always in the same place and provide tactile feedback, so you can operate them while keeping your eyes on the road. But maybe I’m just old fashioned.

Funny enough, Randy Pobst tried racing a Tesla at Pike’s Peak and had to withdraw from competition because of the touchscreen. His windshield started to fog up and he wasn’t able to turn on the defroster. I guess it’s kind of difficult to use a touchscreen while also trying to drive 130 mph on a winding road.

Last edited:

I don't care for the touchscreen either, voice command helps a lot.

To each his own......

I get the enjoyment but the jury will be deliberating in it’s usefulness to conservation and climate forever.

EV emissions realities start with physics. To match the energy stored in one pound of oil requires 15 pounds of lithium battery, which in turn entails digging up about 7,000 pounds of rock and dirt to get the minerals needed—lithium, graphite, copper, nickel, aluminum, zinc, neodymium, manganese, and so on. Thus, fabricating a typical, single half-ton EV battery requires mining and processing about 250 tons of materials. (These figures hold roughly true for all lithium chemistries.) For the carbon-counters tracking such things, the global mining and minerals sector uses 40 percent of all industrial energy—dominated by oil, coal, and natural gas—and that’s before we take into consideration the massive expansion that would be required to supply all the battery factories planned for widespread EV adoption.

Reactions: kl40504
I get the enjoyment but the jury will be deliberating in it’s usefulness to conservation and climate forever.

EV emissions realities start with physics. To match the energy stored in one pound of oil requires 15 pounds of lithium battery, which in turn entails digging up about 7,000 pounds of rock and dirt to get the minerals needed—lithium, graphite, copper, nickel, aluminum, zinc, neodymium, manganese, and so on. Thus, fabricating a typical, single half-ton EV battery requires mining and processing about 250 tons of materials. (These figures hold roughly true for all lithium chemistries.) For the carbon-counters tracking such things, the global mining and minerals sector uses 40 percent of all industrial energy—dominated by oil, coal, and natural gas—and that’s before we take into consideration the massive expansion that would be required to supply all the battery factories planned for widespread EV adoption.
The batteries will be 100% recoverable via recycling very soon. The technology exists and is being implemented and put into practice now.

The bigger issue is whether or not the nimby's left wing lunatics and coal worshipers will let the government invest in nuclear energy and fast track products. growth and livelihood in the future is going to be about who has the electricity. Once a resource viewed as almost limitless is now becoming more scarce in western countries. Nuclear is the clear answer. Abundant, cheap, "clean" and efficient.

The batteries will be 100% recoverable via recycling very soon. The technology exists and is being implemented and put into practice now.

The bigger issue is whether or not the nimby's left wing lunatics and coal worshipers will let the government invest in nuclear energy and fast track products. growth and livelihood in the future is going to be about who has the electricity. Once a resource viewed as almost limitless is now becoming more scarce in western countries. Nuclear is the clear answer. Abundant, cheap, "clean" and efficient.

Especially fusion.....

I bought a new Tesla Model S and received it two weeks ago. Love it so far. It is not as much of a "luxury" car as the BMW 5 Series I traded in, but it makes up for it in other ways. I find the touch screen very intuitive, like an Iphone, and the entertainment system is great. I test drove the Mercedes EQS and I guess that is packed with "tech" but it was really confusing how to operate the screen.

Reactions: jameslee32
Have had my EV 3 months now. Do not miss going to gas stations at all. Passing trucks, minivans & shitboxes at every traffic light is addicting.

What I want to know is, how are those long road trips? Does a 5 day vacation have to turn into 7-8 days now? Or do you use a gas vehicle for that? Serious question here...

What I want to know is, how are those long road trips? Does a 5 day vacation have to turn into 7-8 days now? Or do you use a gas vehicle for that? Serious question here...
I think if you're willing to wait x amount of hours to recharge it won't change your itinerary if your ride is under 5 hours total.

Huh? How does that happen? Aren't you sitting still at traffic lights?
Assume he means, not having to gas up and charge at night.

Question is, how much does it cost to charge?
At home?
At a station?

I believe Tesla and others have some free places but for how long?

Interesting article comparing the performance of EV's vs. Conventional Gas powered cars. It seems that EV's are 500-1,,000 pounds heavier than their conventional counterparts. So they don't brake or turn quite as well. EV's are quicker (0-40) but not necessarily faster (top end). I am sure that EV makers are working on reducing weight.

Last edited:
Interesting article comparing the performance of EV's vs. Conventional Gas powered cars. It seems that EV's are 500-1,,000 pounds heavier than their conventional counterparts. So they don't brake or turn quite as well. EV's are quicker (0-40) but not necessarily faster (top end). I am sure that EV makers are working on reducing weight.

One way to think about the performance of the current generation of EVs is in terms of how players were rated in the old EA NCAA football video game. A RB in that game would be given ratings of anywhere from 40 to 99 across several different categories like acceleration, agility, speed, strength, breaking tackles, etc.

If you used that same approach to compare a high performance gas car with an EV, you might have something like:
  • Gas car
    • Acceleration: 92
    • Agility: 98
    • Speed: 99
  • EV
    • Acceleration: 200
    • Agility: 75
    • Speed: 85
In terms of performance, if smoking people off the line at traffic lights is your thing, then get the EV. A gas engined car isn’t going to stand much of a chance.

If overall driving dynamics are your thing, then get the gas car. Until they can figure out a way to reduce the battery weight significantly, EVs are going to continue to struggle here.

However, if/when they are able to get the battery weight down significantly, then I think EV driving performance might become pretty mind blowing. An EV’s center of gravity will be lower than a gas car of comparable weight, and you have the potential of using individual motors at each of the 4 wheels to maximize traction. At that point, you might start to see EVs put up lap times that previously seemed unfathomable.

Reactions: DSmith21

My Tesla M3 turns and handles better than any car I have ever owned and most of the time brakes on it's on with residual braking.

My Tesla M3 turns and handles better than any car I have ever owned and most of the time brakes on it's on with residual braking.
Speaking of regenerative braking, I was glad to see that Tesla came to their senses and are bringing back the ability to adjust the level of regenerative braking. I never understood why they eliminated that adjustability a couple of years ago.

I can understand why some people might enjoy one foot driving, so I’m not knocking it, but I personally would hate dealing with that all of the time. My personal preference is to be able to have more control over the brakes than what the highest setting of regenerative braking allows.

There’s an old Mario Andretti quote that says something to the effect of: “it’s amazing how many drivers, even in F1, think that the brakes are only there to slow down the car.” Brakes are also a tool for managing the balance of a car, and a high level of regenerative braking really limits your ability to do that. It’s probably not a big deal for most daily driving, but if you enjoy driving, it can be annoying.

Leaving it up to the drivers to be able to tailor the driving experience to their own tastes is a good thing, so I think this was a smart decision by Tesla.

EV handling is not bad for the extra weight. The heavy battery is low and centered in car so handling balance is good, compared to gas with heavy engine high and in front.

Speaking of regenerative braking, I was glad to see that Tesla came to their senses and are bringing back the ability to adjust the level of regenerative braking. I never understood why they eliminated that adjustability a couple of years ago.

I can understand why some people might enjoy one foot driving, so I’m not knocking it, but I personally would hate dealing with that all of the time. My personal preference is to be able to have more control over the brakes than what the highest setting of regenerative braking allows.

There’s an old Mario Andretti quote that says something to the effect of: “it’s amazing how many drivers, even in F1, think that the brakes are only there to slow down the car.” Brakes are also a tool for managing the balance of a car, and a high level of regenerative braking really limits your ability to do that. It’s probably not a big deal for most daily driving, but if you enjoy driving, it can be annoying.

Leaving it up to the drivers to be able to tailor the driving experience to their own tastes is a good thing, so I think this was a smart decision by Tesla.
You still can brake manually anytime you want. Regenerative braking takes some getting used to and it saves on brake pads. It also adds charge back to the battery albeit not much unless you are coasting down a mountain. I don't have a problem at all with it.

You still can brake manually anytime you want. Regenerative braking takes some getting used to and it saves on brake pads. It also adds charge back to the battery albeit not much unless you are coasting down a mountain. I don't have a problem at all with it.
Yeah, I see no issue with it when you’re daily driving. But if I’m wanting to do some spirited driving on a country road, I’d want to be able to dial back the level of regenerative braking quite a bit. The standard setting is much too high for that situation and it starts to become a bit obtrusive.

You used to be able to turn down the level of regenerative braking in Tesla’s up until a couple of years ago, and then there was an update which took that option away. That decision never made sense to me.

I bought a green works mower to do my finish mowing. I wanted it because my other push mower was so heavy and hard to pull up my bank. I like it. Most mowing is with my ZTR but the stuff I cannot get to is the battery powered mower. I bought an extra battery because one charge would not do everything I needed. With both batteries charged I can do everything. It does seem the batteries do not last as long as you would expect.

Last edited:
What about people with stutters or heavy accents? J/k
I have a relative who worked in voice recognition. His company was constantly updating their software for accents, impediments, and slang. He helped install the software at a bank in England where there are a blue million variations in accents that had to be accounted for. (We watch a lot of English TV shows, and we always have to have captions turned on to understand what been said.) Voice recognition really requires a lot of tuning the software to the person who uses it.

I bought a green works mower to do my finish mowing. I wanted it because my other push mower was so heavy and hard to pull up my bank. I like it. Most mowing is with my ZTR but the stuff I cannot get to is the battery powered mower. I bought an extra battery because one charge would not do everything I needed. With both batteries charged I can do everything. It does seem the batteries do not last as long as you would expect.
I've been looking at electric riding mowers so I don't have to go deal with gasoline. Reviews are mixed.

I've been looking at electric riding mowers so I don't have to go deal with gasoline. Reviews are mixed.
I’ve had one for a few years and the most important thing is to get one with a replaceable lithium battery. Mine uses lead acid and running them under 50% really damages them. If I replace them I’ll just buy a 48v lithium and correct charger.
It’s a Ryobi and I love the mower, just hate the old style batteries.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Fox Business just interviewed a large 7 brand car dealer in NJ: he basically said "No one is buying EVs".

Ford will lose $3 BILLION on EVs this year... and with replacement batteries costing 40-50% of the original cost of the vehicle... it's easy to see why...

We're simply not ready yet.

Fox Business just interviewed a large 7 brand car dealer in NJ: he basically said "No one is buying EVs".

Ford will lose $3 BILLION on EVs this year... and with replacement batteries costing 40-50% of the original cost of the vehicle... it's easy to see why...

We're simply not ready yet.
Well, if a car dealer on fox said it, you can take it to the bank.

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckinden
I’ve had one for a few years and the most important thing is to get one with a replaceable lithium battery. Mine uses lead acid and running them under 50% really damages them. If I replace them I’ll just buy a 48v lithium and correct charger.
It’s a Ryobi and I love the mower, just hate the old style batteries.
Interesting....how big is your yard and do you have inclines?

Yeah... I'd certainly believe liberals and the Biden administration over the guys out there actually selling the product.

What incentive does the dealer have to NOT sell cars?

Lol...
Like with everything else, politics enter into the EV marketplace. Some hardcore conservatives are against EV's and you are apparently one. Now hardcore liberals are against Tesla because of Musk. Not sure how buying a car became a political decision.

Interesting....how big is your yard and do you have inclines?
I’m a little under a half acre that’s relatively flat. Inclines shouldn’t be a problem for an electric because the drive motor makes ridiculous torque. Mine is a Ryobi rm480e and was advertised as mowing up to two acres but my yard uses about half the battery. I know Ryobi has new 80v mowers that are supposed to be more efficient but don’t know anyone with one.
I will add that my favorite thing about it is that all I have to do is unplug it and go, which is nice because I hate mowing.

Like with everything else, politics enter into the EV marketplace. Some hardcore conservatives are against EV's and you are apparently one. Now hardcore liberals are against Tesla because of Musk. Not sure how buying a car became a political decision.
I'm waiting on a look at the RAM Rev when it comes out. The large battery pack supposedly has a 500.mile range. Still have to wait on my dog to pass. He's a shedding machine and I hate to buy a new truck that will look like a kennel within a week. 😕

Reactions: Kingseve1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT