ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Here Have An Electric Car?

I'm waiting on a look at the RAM Rev when it comes out. The large battery pack supposedly has a 500.mile range. Still have to wait on my dog to pass. He's a shedding machine and I hate to buy a new truck that will look like a kennel within a week. 😕
Sounds cool. 500 range is perfect

Sounds cool. 500 range is perfect
It's a 760 mile trip from south Florida back to East TN. We drive straight through now, but it about wears me out now. When the dog is gone, we'll start making it a 2 day trip and 500 miles would be perfect.

Fox Business just interviewed a large 7 brand car dealer in NJ: he basically said "No one is buying EVs".
As someone living in NJ this is straight up not true. Every year the state funds a tax rebate program for EVs and this year the money was gone by April. EVs are very popular up here.

• Haha
Reactions: WTF Cat
I’m a little under a half acre that’s relatively flat. Inclines shouldn’t be a problem for an electric because the drive motor makes ridiculous torque. Mine is a Ryobi rm480e and was advertised as mowing up to two acres but my yard uses about half the battery. I know Ryobi has new 80v mowers that are supposed to be more efficient but don’t know anyone with one.
I will add that my favorite thing about it is that all I have to do is unplug it and go, which is nice because I hate mowing.
Thanks for the info.

Interesting Elon sales tactic that all Tesla's are equipped with an autonomous technology upgrade so buyers can use their own cars as ride-sharing vehicles in his Uber-like network. For when people are at work for example. Imagine the trade-in value and insurance costs.

EVs are going to look awfully foolish when Toyota rolls out its hydrogen car later this year.

Edit: here's a video that explains the pros/cons (since I'm not an expert...):

Last edited:
Ion batteries require 50,000 pounds of excavation of soil each. Cobalt primarily comes from the Congo (lots of slave labor). # 2 producer is Russia. Batteries are not recyclable…powered via coal/natural gas generating stations…there’s no infrastructure…a complete fallacy. The whole thing is propped up by subsidies (see ethanol). Total carbon footprint is worse than gasoline

EVs are going to look awfully foolish when Toyota rolls out its hydrogen car later this year.

1 minute fillups... on water.
Fine by me. Go H2. But, it’s gonna take more than just a year for H2 to take hold

UPDATE: I've had my Tesla for a year and a half and just turned 30k miles on my Tesla 3 Long Range. Well, I should say my wife's Tesla. She drives it everyday.

Only issues I've had is Tesla mobile service has replaced the two tail lights that what forming condensation in them.

Tire wear still great. I've rotated them once.

The car has the bright white "space age" seats and I'm pleasantly surprised they still look new.

Driving it to Canada in the morning. Tesla app shows plenty of chargers on the way.

The Tesla Long Range started out at 358 maximum mileage and I get in the neighborhood of 341 with a full charge now. From what I've researched, this is normal for the time I've had it. The 10 year/100k mile battery warranty states that if it ever falls below 20% of maximum range, Tesla has to replace the battery for free. That would be a loss of 71.6 miles of maximum range.

Also, my wife backed into her friends SUV in the driveway and did $3000 worth of damage to the SUV. It happened right on one of the bumper sensors, but didn't damage it at all. I only had to touch up the bumper with some touch up paint.

As I've mentioned before, in no way do I regret buying the Tesla, but if I was going to buy another EV I would look around and see what's out there. I don't like the screen that controls almost everything. Also, it's more "bumpy" than I would like when crossing RR tracks or traveling on lesser maintained roads. I assume that's due to a beefed up suspension to handle the battery weight.

Also, as I've mentioned before, I didn't buy the Tesla to go green. I bought it due to the need for maintenance or lack thereof and that has worked well. If it helps with greenhouse gases then that's a plus. I maintain six vehicles now for my family and having one less is comforting. The only things I have done is rotated the tires, add windshield washer fluid and changed the cabin filter.

For those that are interested, unless something happens I won't give another update until I hit 50K miles.

UPDATE: I've had my Tesla for a year and a half and just turned 30k miles on my Tesla 3 Long Range. Well, I should say my wife's Tesla. She drives it everyday.

Only issues I've had is Tesla mobile service has replaced the two tail lights that what forming condensation in them.

Tire wear still great. I've rotated them once.

The car has the bright white "space age" seats and I'm pleasantly surprised they still look new.

Driving it to Canada in the morning. Tesla app shows plenty of chargers on the way.

The Tesla Long Range started out at 358 maximum mileage and I get in the neighborhood of 341 with a full charge now. From what I've researched, this is normal for the time I've had it. The 10 year/100k mile battery warranty states that if it ever falls below 20% of maximum range, Tesla has to replace the battery for free. That would be a loss of 71.6 miles of maximum range.

Also, my wife backed into her friends SUV in the driveway and did $3000 worth of damage to the SUV. It happened right on one of the bumper sensors, but didn't damage it at all. I only had to touch up the bumper with some touch up paint.

As I've mentioned before, in no way do I regret buying the Tesla, but if I was going to buy another EV I would look around and see what's out there. I don't like the screen that controls almost everything. Also, it's more "bumpy" than I would like when crossing RR tracks or traveling on lesser maintained roads. I assume that's due to a beefed up suspension to handle the battery weight.

Also, as I've mentioned before, I didn't buy the Tesla to go green. I bought it due to the need for maintenance or lack thereof and that has worked well. If it helps with greenhouse gases then that's a plus. I maintain six vehicles now for my family and having one less is comforting. The only things I have done is rotated the tires, add windshield washer fluid and changed the cabin filter.

For those that are interested, unless something happens I won't give another update until I hit 50K miles.
If I were you when you get to about 8 years on the battery, I would hook up a generator to the battery and power your house and kill it then get a brand new one under warranty 🍺

I'm waiting for them to dig up all the roads and add power to them with a connection to the cars so we can all drive around like those toy racecar sets.
scalextric-racing.gif

Jason Cammisa’s latest video looks at the history of how the Tesla Roadster came to be. Realize he might be a bit much for some (he can be a huge dork at times), but his videos for Hagerty are really well made and I thought the EV crowd might be interested in this video.

I remember following the Roadster closely back when it was first coming out, but there was a lot in this video that I didn’t know about.

Reactions: JDHoss
GM only sold 26 total EV in the 4th quarter. Going green will be a tough sell for most people. I'm in no hurry to add a car payment when I just paid off the one I have. Especially not for some garbage technology that isn't ready for heavy use by the average consumer. Plus how many people can afford to replace the battery when it inevitably goes bad? I'll stick with my ICE with only 70k miles on it until it falls apart.
You forgot that the production and use of an electric car is harder on the environment than a combustion one.

Last edited:
“TOKYO—Toyota Motor Corp.’s leader criticized what he described as excessive hype over electric vehicles, saying advocates failed to consider the carbon emitted by generating electricity and the costs of an EV transition…Toyoda said Japan would run out of electricity in the summer if all cars were running on electric power. The infrastructure needed to support a fleet consisting entirely of EVs would cost Japan between ¥14 trillion and ¥37 trillion, the equivalent of $135 billion to $358 billion, he said.

“When politicians are out there saying, ‘Let’s get rid of all cars using gasoline,’ do they understand this?”
$$$$$$$$$

That’s like saying a top fuel dragster is far superior to a Formula 1 car.
Jet fast and haven’t been to a gas station or an oil change shop in 3 years. I have only had to change tires.

What kind of car do you have ? Unless it’s a street legal formula one, I don’t wanna hear it

Jet fast and haven’t been to a gas station or an oil change shop in 3 years. I have only had to change tires.

What kind of car do you have ? Unless it’s a street legal formula one, I don’t wanna hear it
I’ve driven an F1 car once, but that’s not my daily driver.

Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact about EVs. They are unbelievable at accelerating at low speeds or from a stop. They are poor in terms of all other driving dynamics. If EVs were better driver’s cars, I would’ve purchased one already. Once they figure that out, then I’ll probably buy one.

I’ve driven Tesla’s on track a couple of times and the balance isn’t good nor is the steering.

I’ve driven an F1 car once, but that’s not my daily driver.

Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact about EVs. They are unbelievable at accelerating at low speeds or from a stop. They are poor in terms of all other driving dynamics. If EVs were better driver’s cars, I would’ve purchased one already. Once they figure that out, then I’ll probably buy one.

I’ve driven Tesla’s on track a couple of times and the balance isn’t good nor is the steering.
If I was going to become a race car driver and drive on race car tracks, I might choose a Porsche, but until then I’ll keep enjoying my Tesla on legal roads and streets. I never have the need to take a corner at high speeds with my wife and 2 boys in the car, which is another advantage….storage

If I was going to become a race car driver and drive on race car tracks, I might choose a Porsche, but until then I’ll keep enjoying my Tesla on legal roads and streets. I never have the need to take a corner at high speeds with my wife and 2 boys in the car, which is another advantage….storage
Then it sounds like you have the perfect car for you. Which is kind of the point I was making. There’s no such thing as a “far superior” car in all circumstances. It completely depends on the type of driving you do and what you want from a car.

If all you want to do is drive around town, then an EV is perfect for that (my wife’s next car will likely be an EV). Plus you get the added benefit of being able to embarrass someone at a stop light if drag racing is your thing.

I’ll personally never own a pickup truck or SUV. I absolutely hate driving them. You’re sitting too high and get way too much weight transfer making a turn. But that doesn’t mean they’re awful, it just means they’re not for me and the type of driving experience I’m looking for. I can totally respect someone being into driving pickup trucks.

For me, I like cars that can handle well with balanced performance. Until there’s an EV available that’s a really good driver’s car, I’ll stick with my M3.

Reactions: kyeric and WTF Cat
Then it sounds like you have the perfect car for you. Which is kind of the point I was making. There’s no such thing as a “far superior” car in all circumstances. It completely depends on the type of driving you do and what you want from a car.

If all you want to do is drive around town, then an EV is perfect for that (my wife’s next car will likely be an EV). Plus you get the added benefit of being able to embarrass someone at a stop light if drag racing is your thing.

I’ll personally never own a pickup truck or SUV. I absolutely hate driving them. You’re sitting too high and get way too much weight transfer making a turn. But that doesn’t mean they’re awful, it just means they’re not for me and the type of driving experience I’m looking for. I can totally respect someone being into driving pickup trucks.

For me, I like cars that can handle well with balanced performance. Until there’s an EV available that’s a really good driver’s car, I’ll stick with my M3.
Good post and I agree with all except the M3. I blew an M3 enthusiasts doors off at 4 stop lights in a row. And my car has twice the storage

Good post and I agree with all except the M3. I blew an M3 enthusiasts doors off at 4 stop lights in a row. And my car has twice the storage
That’s because an M3 isn’t designed to win drag races. It’s designed to be an all around good driver’s car. The mandate from BMW management when designing the first few generations of M3 was always that “the chassis must be quicker than the engine.”

If I were to try to race a Tesla at a stop light, which I don’t, then I’ll likely lose. But a Tesla isn’t nearly as satisfying to drive, nor is a Tesla driver likely to be able to keep up with me on a winding road that requires more than just straight line acceleration.

I’ve also never given storage space a moments thought when selecting a car to purchase. You obviously have much more to haul around than me so it’s a more important feature for you than it is for me.

Which gets back to my point. All vehicles come with trade offs and what’s best for you depends upon what aspects you value most. You place a high value on straight line acceleration and storage, so a Tesla is a no brainer for you.

I value other aspects when considering a car, so I’ve gone with an M3. There’s no right answer here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingseve1
That’s because an M3 isn’t designed to win drag races. It’s designed to be an all around good driver’s car. The mandate from BMW management when designing the first few generations of M3 was always that “the chassis must be quicker than the engine.”

If I were to try to race a Tesla at a stop light, which I don’t, then I’ll likely lose. But a Tesla isn’t nearly a satisfying to drive, nor is a Tesla driver likely to be able to keep up with me on a winding road that requires more than just straight line acceleration.

I’ve also never given storage space a moments thought when selecting a car to purchase. You obviously have much more to haul around than me so it’s a more important feature for you than it is for me.

Which gets back to my point. All vehicles come with trade offs and what’s best for you depends upon what aspects you value most. You place a high value on straight line acceleration and storage, so a Tesla is a no brainer for you.

I value other aspects when considering a car, so I’ve gone with an M3. There’s no right answer here.
Maybe the Taycan is the answer then. A guy I work with has one. I bought a Tesla Model S instead b/c of the range issue - the Taycan maxes out just a little over 200. I like the Tesla but I do sometimes long for a more "luxury" vehicle.

Maybe the Taycan is the answer then. A guy I work with has one. I bought a Tesla Model S instead b/c of the range issue - the Taycan maxes out just a little over 200. I like the Tesla but I do sometimes long for a more "luxury" vehicle.
The Taycan is a step in the right direction performance wise, but it’s still not quite there. Plus it’s a bigger and much heavier car (it weighs almost 1,000 lbs more than my car). I already think that the latest M3s have gotten too big, so I’m not in a hurry to get something bigger.

If I didn’t have to deal with a car seat in the back, I’d consider going back to an old E46 M3. An E46 is slower than my current M3, but it was a better driver’s car. That’s probably the one car I’ve owned that I regret selling.

I’ve also never been in love with the styling on the Porsche sedans. The overall shape of both the Panamera and Taycan look a little odd to me.

I'm waiting for them to dig up all the roads and add power to them with a connection to the cars so we can all drive around like those toy racecar sets.
scalextric-racing.gif
You can guarantee your insurance will go up from all the accidents when you are sliding off the tracks while going to fast.

After doing a little research, i've decided against cars that catch on fire... so my E350 and Vette are safe for a little while longer.

It appears that the EV industry is having major issues. The demand is lower than expected and companies are losing huge amounts on each unit sold. The early adopters have theirs but other buyers are hesitant due to high cost, battery range, lack of charging infrastructure, etc. Meanwhile governments are forcing these EVs on buyers through increased regulation (much higher mpg and emissions standards in the very near future). Perhaps we are moving too fast with EVs. Headlines from this week:

Last edited:
Reactions: WTF Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT