ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone but Cal Right Guys.......

thedahc

Freshman
Aug 3, 2006
I was blasted constantly for saying that I wasn't happy, but who would we have instead of Cal....

I was told there were tons of top tier coaches interested in coaching our program.....

I was sad the day Cal left and am even more sad today.

We underestimated how god awful our AD is. Mark Pope is top assistant coach material for our actual head coach. Why gamble when we could have had coaches who have actually made Final Fours (and won titles in Donovan’s case). Poor has zero NCAAT wins. This is so bizarrely awful

I knew there wouldn’t be top Coaches waiting at the door. Too much pressure is placed to win. The expectations of many fans are unrealistic. The parity in Basketball & the NIL has changed the face of college basketball. Kentucky is offering salaries higher than what Cal made from what I’ve read and it’s not enough. They’d rather make less than have to put up to the pressure cooker of UK.

I knew there wouldn’t be top Coaches waiting at the door. Too much pressure is placed to win. The expectations of many fans are unrealistic. The parity in Basketball & the NIL has changed the face of college basketball. Kentucky is offering salaries higher than what Cal made from what I’ve read and it’s not enough. They’d rather make less than have to put up to the pressure cooker of UK.
We are IU. Thanks Mitch.

Without top recruiting classes; he beat Kansas and Baylor this year. I'm going to give him a chance. Plus, he was Jeff Sheppard's roommate. Maybe; just maybe????

Pope definitely could wind up with as bad or worse results than Cal, but it was time for a change. Cal was no longer the answer.

Even though most of us knew our AD was an incompetent buffoon, it is still shocking to see him screw this up as royally as he has.

My fear is that he has taken a blue blood and made us an also ran.

The second I start reading some nose-picking apelike post from a troll like you, I know you're not even with UK.

I was blasted constantly for saying that I wasn't happy, but who would we have instead of Cal....

I was told there were tons of top tier coaches interested in coaching our program.....

It's sad your ok with paying a guy almost 10 million to lose double digit games and not win tourney games

YES!!!!!! I'm tickled! NO MORE of JVC'S bullSugarHoneyIcedTea. I just hope I never hear GOOOOOOOOOO! AGAIN!

Reactions: jmalone7us
No way man. I was ready for a change too but had I known it would be pope. No way.
what are you talking about? Cal had 0% chance at making a final four here again. you'd rather have 25 wins the next year instead of an actual possibility that Pope could do something special with the resources here at UK?

lets at least let the guy coach a year to see if he knows what he's doing before we label him a failure here

For the record I’d take Pope all day long over cal. Cal is a fraud so yes it’s anyone but cal for me and that includes pope. Not overly elated with the hire but I’m anxious to see what kind of roster he can pull together but i like him as a coach 1 million times more than the fraud. I think pope surprises a lot of people here.

Anyone but Cal was just a cliche, kind of like "no hunny that dress doesn't make you look fat." Obviously we never really meant it.

Without top recruiting classes; he beat Kansas and Baylor this year. I'm going to give him a chance. Plus, he was Jeff Sheppard's roommate. Maybe; just maybe????
Most of their players are mormons because its so strict, only mormons want to go there. if Craft promises a lot of NIL, it will be interesting to see what he can do with much better players

Cal left because the working environment became incredibly toxic in no small part due to the fans. It should tell you something that two national title winning coaches have "left" in the past two decades. Call it "left" if you want, but a lot of other people see it as being run out of town.

His teams did not try in the postseason because he was trying to save them for draft day. That's not good when you're a college coach.

what are you talking about? Cal had 0% chance at making a final four here again. you'd rather have 25 wins the next year instead of an actual possibility that Pope could do something special with the resources here at UK?

lets at least let the guy coach a year to see if he knows what he's doing before we label him a failure here
I wanted to see how cal performed knowing his job was literally on the line. That would have been new.

Now Cal will murder us at arky. Get ready. It will hurt

I’ve been a member of this site for over 10 years and a UK fan for over 50 years. I rarely post on here because of asses like you. We all have opinions.

You think expectations are the reason we're landing Pope? That's horrific logic on your part. We only offered ONE other coach before Pope.

That has less to do with expectations or NIL or pressure and everything to do with our AD being a coward.

He loves naïve fans like you who buy into the "it's hard here" narrative.

While we may still not win any postseason games, at least I'll get to hear new catchphrases from somebody else. Pope will probably start his best players as well.

Anyway, Cal left on his own and had been trying to leave since February. No one forced him out, he had at least one more year if he chose to.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
This was the worst Kansas team in the past 20 years if not more, and this was not the Baylor team that throttled people a few years ago. Things change quickly in basketball..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MbergCat
We only offered ONE other coach before Pope.
You don't have to officially offer someone and be told no to realize someone isn't interested. Oats, Drew, and Hurley were clearly not interested. Guys like Sean Miller were being reported as under consideration. That doesn't happen after just one guy tells you no.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT