ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody Else Out There Irritated About the Recruiting Game?

Now I see where Cal says his visit with Zion didn’t go as hoped and I just want to rip my hair put for giving a damn in the first place.

tenor.gif
you have some info?

Currently, yours truly is trying to disassociate myself with our recruiting. I think I have a problem. I hit a point where it seems that I’ve been too emotionally invested in some 18 year old’s cryptic hints and games about who they’re going to play for, and a bunch of prognosticators stirring the swill for hits and attention.

It’s all one big c0ck tease, and the only person to be frustrated with it is standing in the mirror. Lately, after losing some of these kids to other programs after months of reading into little comments, it just sort of leads to emotional blueballs. I think I might be wising up! Anybody else out there just feeling kind of “wake me when it’s over”? Anybody else managed to successfully free themselves from it?

Laurence-Fishburne.gif

Here’s my suggestion: In the last 8 years, Cal has had the number 1 or 2 recruiting class in the country. Quit worrying and rest assured that Cal will get it done. He always does.

Reactions: kl40504 and chroix
Recruiting is kind of like Bourbon.. it takes time to see the final product. We've been getting worked for the last few three years ('16, '17 and '18) and Cal has started to change his pitch. He's going early, he's added some new recruiters in Justus.. but it takes time. Might not see the results until 2019 or even 2020.

Looking at it objectively, Cal had recruiting wrapped up for years. He didn't need to do much aside from mention the NBA and point to his results. Well, other coaches have stepped up and since then Cal has pivoted. We just won't get the results immediately.

We could go back to the Tubby days. I like getting great classes. Cats are in the conversation with half of the 5 stars every year with Cal.

Reactions: kl40504 and chroix
Currently, yours truly is trying to disassociate myself with our recruiting. I think I have a problem. I hit a point where it seems that I’ve been too emotionally invested in some 18 year old’s cryptic hints and games about who they’re going to play for, and a bunch of prognosticators stirring the swill for hits and attention.

It’s all one big c0ck tease, and the only person to be frustrated with it is standing in the mirror. Lately, after losing some of these kids to other programs after months of reading into little comments, it just sort of leads to emotional blueballs. I think I might be wising up! Anybody else out there just feeling kind of “wake me when it’s over”? Anybody else managed to successfully free themselves from it?

Laurence-Fishburne.gif
It won't work I have been trying that for a while next big recruit you will be trailing him like a hound after a rabbit.

Laurence-Fishburne.gif
Think realistic and you'll be ok.

Laurence-Fishburne.gif
I am more irritated about you posting on this board.

CC's announcement made me happy to have developed the OP scar tissue starting 2 seasons ago. They don't seem to hurt as bad these days. Maybe I am growing up. . . or just old. :oops:
It must be getting old. We haven't seen the growing up.

We could go back to the Tubby days. I like getting great classes. Cats are in the conversation with half of the 5 stars every year with Cal.
That is the most overused Cliche, when talking about Tubby days you need to include the good with the bad. If that means a title and players like Bogans,Prince, Maglorie and Rondo that would be fine.

Laurence-Fishburne.gif

Same with me. I will come on here and read tidbits of info now and then about recruiting but I no longer hang on all these kids' words and just rely on the final announcement these days. Just not worth the time and emotional investment to get hung up on what these kids are teasing us with all the time. Wake me up when it's over attitude is the way I've kind of gone now. Can't imagine what this puts Cal and other coaches through as they all fight to get these 18 year olds to join their program.

I'm completely over it. I haven't actively searched for recruiting news in years. The only time I pay it any attention is when posts on here or KSR seem to indicate that we are leading for somebody and they are deciding soon. I couldn't care less about a kid cutting his list from 25 to 10.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
I’ve been done with it for awhile. Sure I follow what is being said, but I don’t invest anything into it until a guy actually verbals. Then I get excited. Unlike football it’s fairly rare for guys to back out of their verbals though it does happen.

That is the most overused Cliche, when talking about Tubby days you need to include the good with the bad. If that means a title and players like Bogans,Prince, Maglorie and Rondo that would be fine.
Carter, Williams, Woo, Allyne, Adams Sherray, Bobby Perry, Saul. Do I need to continue?

Reactions: kl40504
The Tubby days started good but ended badly. Tubby did a good job with Rick's players his first year but not so good his last few years with his own recruits. Tubby should not be mentioned in the same sentence with Cal.

The first few years I was invested heavily. (I was in college then). Since losing in 2015 I don’t pay attention to recruiting until the class is completed and the next season speculation begins. Have no control over it. I don’t even watch announcements.

Reactions: kl40504
Doesn't bother me. I don't pay much attention to recruiting. When they sign, I start learning about them. Makes for a happy, healthy Ole Poop.

The Tubby days started good but ended badly. Tubby did a good job with Rick's players his first year but not so good his last few years with his own recruits. Tubby should not be mentioned in the same sentence with Cal.
His first 6 years were good but that was not a Kentucky team that people expected to win a championship.
They were down 17 to Duke in the Elite 8, 10 to Stanford in the Final Four and 10 to Utah in the championship game. They came back to win all of those games. . .
Nothing indicates high-quality coaching more than making adjustments and coming back from deficits. Talented, poorly-coached teams can blow out opponents. But it takes coaching to rally from large deficits like the ones Kentucky faced that season.

Last edited:
His first 6 years were good but that was not a Kentucky team that people expected to win a championship.
They were down 17 to Duke in the Elite 8, 10 to Stanford in the Final Four and 10 to Utah in the championship game. They came back to win all of those games. . .
Nothing indicates high-quality coaching more than making adjustments and coming back from deficits. Talented, poorly-coached teams can blow out opponents. But it takes coaching to rally from large deficits like the ones Kentucky faced that season.
You are referring to one year of coaching with Rick's players. As I said he did a good job in 1998 but left a lot to be desired the rest of his time at UK. He never made another final four with his recruits. If he was such a good coach what has happened since 1998? He did nothing at Minnesota or Memphis. He has been reglated to small college High Point. Good man but not a good coach except for one year at UK.

Tubby had about 6 good years at Kentucky,we are talking about his Kentucky career, he is in Kentucky hall of fame and his peers recognize him as a good coach. Rick didn't win it all with his players in 97. Six sweet 16's and four elite 8's aren't bad, one year of good coaching doesn't get you in Kentucky's hall of fame and all of the other awards he has won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT