ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody Else Out There Irritated About the Recruiting Game?

KYtotheCore

Senior
Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
Currently, yours truly is trying to disassociate myself with our recruiting. I think I have a problem. I hit a point where it seems that I’ve been too emotionally invested in some 18 year old’s cryptic hints and games about who they’re going to play for, and a bunch of prognosticators stirring the swill for hits and attention.

It’s all one big c0ck tease, and the only person to be frustrated with it is standing in the mirror. Lately, after losing some of these kids to other programs after months of reading into little comments, it just sort of leads to emotional blueballs. I think I might be wising up! Anybody else out there just feeling kind of “wake me when it’s over”? Anybody else managed to successfully free themselves from it?

Laurence-Fishburne.gif

I’ve found a happy medium with it. I used to be just like that. Hanging onto every hint of info.

Now I basically ignore it all except knowing when a Coach visit is going on. Ignore the vague tweets, and especially ignore message board speculation, ignore recruiting guru predictions and then just wait for commitment day. That way if it doesn’t work out look at all the folderol you bypassed.

just in case anyone gets their hopes up..... word around south carolina is that Zion's family has told people he'll stay home.

I mean it could change since he's waiting until the spring ...........

A USC fan said it on the main board a week or two ago.......... and some people from south carolina told my friend that .

I only gave it credit when Slater and Rowe changed their crystal ball picks.... they dont change their picks just on whims.
Well they've changed about 20 times now, so I'd say they do.

A USC fan said it on the main board a week or two ago.......... and some people from south carolina told my friend that .

I only gave it credit when Slater and Rowe changed their crystal ball picks.... they dont change their picks just on whims.

Well, that bothers me. Is that why we visited him today (yesterday?), playing catch up?

I’m a little tired of the recruiting too. I don’t know how some on here know so much about each recruit. I don’t see how they have the time to see all of them play.

The only thing I know about ZW is, that he is a crazy dunker. Can he shoot a jumper?

It is sorta strange how a recruit can be a lock for us for a year and suddenly (maybe) decide to stay home.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Just said the other day that I would. I would no longer care about getting 5 stars. Sticking with it and feel a ton better already. Just watching BB and its awesome. We'll get who we get.

Well, that bothers me. Is that why we visited him today (yesterday?), playing catch up?

It might be but I dont know anything for sure. I would assume Cal is visiting today for a reason and you can assume its because he heard something that made him feel he needed to go down there.

Daddy really wants Clemson and I wouldnt doubt for a second him telling someone at Clemson he'll work his son hard to get him there...... maybe someone wrongfully took it as a guarantee??? Wouldnt be the first millionth time a mistake like that has happened. But Daddy would have to be a major jerk to force his son to go to a school. .

Did you hear about daddy from the same people in South carolina?

just in case anyone gets their hopes up..... word around south carolina is that Zion's family has told people he'll stay home.

I mean it could change since he's waiting until the spring ...........
Ya know,I would love for Zion to play for the University of Kentucky Wildcats, but if he chooses not to,I am getting better with that too

Currently, yours truly is trying to disassociate myself with our recruiting. I think I have a problem. I hit a point where it seems that I’ve been too emotionally invested in some 18 year old’s cryptic hints and games about who they’re going to play for, and a bunch of prognosticators stirring the swill for hits and attention.

It’s all one big c0ck tease, and the only person to be frustrated with it is standing in the mirror. Lately, after losing some of these kids to other programs after months of reading into little comments, it just sort of leads to emotional blueballs. I think I might be wising up! Anybody else out there just feeling kind of “wake me when it’s over”? Anybody else managed to successfully free themselves from it?

Laurence-Fishburne.gif

No! It’s the 3rd game of the season dude. Please don’t come around in March changing ur tune. You fans are getting so old and so exhausting.

No! It’s the 3rd game of the season dude. Please don’t come around in March changing ur tune. You fans are getting so old and so exhausting.
That’s just it though. I’ve been watching this since March . . . And that’s the very part that gets so tedious. If I were to come back around in March hoping a kid chooses us over , say, Colorado, then I’ve failed myself. THAT’S what’s getting old and exhausting.

Last edited:
Back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that followed recruiting as much as I did. I gave up trying to figure who was going where a long time ago.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
the skype call ended it for me...I don't obsess on it.....i watch youtubes of the recruits when i find out that we are going for them....but unless the guy calls me the moment before he makes his pick, i hear about it later....

At least we're not in the same recruiting boat as stripper U - they have very little hope of any sort of recruiting for several years. I would rather have disappointments, than zero hope.

I've really had the feeling lately that when the chips fall and things slowly start to trickle out we'll look back at the OAD era of basketball and realize how corrupt it is and feel bad for our former selves for being so invested. Corrupt refs, corrupt organization that allows certain schools to do whatever they want, kids and their parents accepting money and other impermissible benefits. I really love watching Cats basketball so I really can't help being invested in the team, but this shit is so rigged right now and it's not in our favor. Hopefully the FBI investigations help clear some of this up and hopefully OAD goes away one way or another.

I watch the major headlines, know who some of the best players are, and enjoy when we sign a good class, but I don't live and die by it at all. Until they've enrolled, anything could happen (and half of them LOVE to milk it for attention), so why even worry about it? Plenty of other things to think about with my favorite sports teams, let alone my actual life.

Never paid any attention to recruiting. Getting an 18 yr old to commit to getting out of bed in the morning is tough, much less picking a college.

the skype call ended it for me...I don't obsess on it.....i watch youtubes of the recruits when i find out that we are going for them....but unless the guy calls me the moment before he makes his pick, i hear about it later....
Skype call?

I haven’t given recruiting a second thought since Cal’s first recruiting class. He is going to get more than his fair share of top recruits and always will.

This.

I learned after getting emotionally invested in names such as Tyrone Nash, Dan Werner, Jai Lucas, Dominique Ferguson, Dakota Euton, etc. that I can't control who we get anyway, so no sense getting worked up over it.

I get excited to for the guys we do get, but don't sweat the ones who get away. Cal's always gonna get his.

This.

I learned after getting emotionally invested in names such as Tyrone Nash, Dan Werner, Jai Lucas, Dominique Ferguson, Dakota Euton, etc. that I can't control who we get anyway, so no sense getting worked up over it.

I get excited to for the guys we do get, but don't sweat the ones who get away. Cal's always gonna get his.
And just think of these names, and many others, that are basically never heard from again. 99.9% never turn out to be the All-Americans they're pumped up to be...so I agree...no sense getting worked up over it.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Cal has taken some beatings from K recently.
Then you get the odd commitments like we had a couple years ago when all the top players went to subpar programs

I don't know if Cal needs a new recruiter or not but Capel at Puke is kicking some butt. I may puke for saying that. There was a discussion of Jalen Rose which would be interesting but the guy is all over the NBA coverage right now

Laurence-Fishburne.gif
I am irritated that you are irritated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT