ADVERTISEMENT

Any Thoughts to Bolster NIL at UK?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
How about offering NIL beverages and food at the stadium.

Along with the usual fare, have Cokes and even beer cups with randomly selected photos of a player or two on the sides of the cups, and pay an extra buck for the drink. Call it “Collectable NIL Cups.” It could be done for food, in some fashion, also.

Literally use the names of players, their image and likeness emblazoned on cups, wrappers, and other containers. Hell, push the envelope, and through your third party contractors, do this for ALL the food/drinks sold at the stadium.

Any other ideas?

My idea is corny as Hell, but so is much of the NIL ish out there.

How about an NIL store in Lexington, Louisville, etc.

Contract with a business that can sell UK memorabilia just like the UK dedicated stores in existence, but every sale of caps, jerseys, shirts, etc., etc. has some use of players’ names, and images.

My family’s Christmas has been pretty much an exchange of Blue stuff for 20 years, so why not throw 10% toward NIL?

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
What UT among others are doing and what eventually everyone will do. Raise ticket prices and split with athletes.

It’s the easiest damn thing to do.

Then a cut of merch.

Among all that other marketing and promotional stuff that helps.

Also, at the end of the day…win. Obvious and cliche “winning cures all” but it’s true.

10-11 wins and all the folks ballyhooing over a 10% increase in tickets, $12 beers, etc…will be fighting one another to pay even higher increases than that for seats, parking passes, tail gating permits, etc.

Well would you pay a 15% or 20% hike on tickets for NIL? Because UT is counting on their 104,000+seats to blow away a school that seats 62,000 and to give them a significant edge over those SEC schools that are in the 80,000-100,000 seats. To the original point, yes we should be looking at ways to be creative with NIL but Tennessee chose a very easy way to make money from a resource at hand.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
What UT among others are doing and what eventually everyone will do. Raise ticket prices and split with athletes.

Then a cut of merch.

Among all that other marketing and promotional stuff that helps.

Also, at the end of the day…win. Obvious and cliche “winning cures all” but it’s true.

10-11 wins and all the folks ballyhooing over a 10% increase in tickets, $12 beers, etc…will be fighting one another to pay even higher increases than that for seats, parking passes, tail gating permits, etc.

Make sport specific revenue sharing. Easy and lucrative.

Of course that would cut into the surplus that gets sent back to the school for wasteful spending, so will be the last resort.

Raise ticket prices and split with athletes.

Sure. The model being discussed parallel to the law suit is a 20 percent revenue share across the board. And schools like UK and UT have huge revenue, so that will be one separate revenue stream for our players.

But NIL is still in play, independent of the schools paying revenue share, and still needs to be a focus of fans who can donate, or buy the right brand of beer, or buy NIL based merch.

How about offering NIL beverages and food at the stadium.

Along with the usual fare, have Cokes and even beer cups with randomly selected photos of a player or two on the sides of the cups, and pay an extra buck for the drink. Call it “Collectable NIL Cups.” It could be done for food, in some fashion, also.

Literally use the names of players, their image and likeness emblazoned on cups, wrappers, and other containers. Hell, push the envelope, and through your third party contractors, do this for ALL the food/drinks sold at the stadium.

Any other ideas?

My idea is corny as Hell, but so is much of the NIL ish out there.
All the NIL inducements are for folks who live in central KY or thereabouts. Offer more incentives to those of us who live out of state. Have a traveling tailgate and if you give a certain amount, you get access to the suite or premium tix with other boosters. There's a helluva UK diaspora and I would venture to guess that many of those left because the money was greater elsewhere, so one would guess they have more disposable income and due to living so far away, maybe more of a yearning to get involved. I know the Tampa alumni club has 4500 members(last time I looked). They should court the Alumni groups as well. They could auction off or raffle road game experiences or even a come back home flight/hotel package.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
I know the Tampa alumni club has 4500 members(last time I looked).
My God, that is 15 times bigger than the QB Club, based in Lexington. If each coughed up $10.00, that is 45 grand!! No damn wonder we sold 80% of the tickets to the Ourback in '99 with 66,000 in attendance . . . ten percent of our crowd was from Tampa!!

Yes, someone with NIL ideas needs to reach out to Tampa!!

I'm hoping for a Bowl trip to Tampa . . . one of the few SEC Bowls we have not done with Stoops.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1. Open a shop in the game day venues that money goes to NIL. Bama has this at Bryant Denny Stadium - The Authentic at Bryant Denny Stadium

2. Rework deals with official UK sponsors to split money between the athletic department and NIL. Central Bank as an example. Let's say they give $2 million a year to the athletic department. Rework the deal so they give $1 million to the athletic department and $1 million to the collective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT