ADVERTISEMENT

Any of the 'Cal can't coach' yahoos hear Bilas raving about the out of bounds play vs UGa?

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
"That was a great, great out of bounds play - a re-screen that opened up Monk for the game winner." He also said it was the rare situation where the opponent was ready for the original play, there's a timeout, and the play coming out of the timeout was better than the original. He said Mark Fox did a really good job defending it, it was "just a great play call with great execution."

Things that make you go hmmmm. I really don't remember a lot of conversation here crediting Cal with that play call. I don't remember much talk about the play at all - other than talk about whether Monk walked (naturally, the only point raised was a negative one). Did the "Cal can't X and O!" crowd even notice the play? It's right up their alley - simple and easy to see, which tends to be the only kinds of things they see when it comes to X and O.

Maybe - although in any other situation where there's a great play credit goes to the head coach - maybe we ought to just give credit to Robic? The manager who lost sweat wiping duties? Oscar Combs? Rupp?.....

It was well-designed. I'm interested to see if they run this play more often in the coming games.

Look at the other stuff they post and when you hear people with the same theme call in on radio shows it becomes all too obvious what the problem is .

It was a good play because he made the shot. the Ga defender that switched on Monk damn near blocked his shot. Just really glad we won because we played like crap.
Well ok hell let's just give Georgia the win would that be ok with you? Happy now ? I doubt it !

I only remember people complaining that the shot was too tough and he wouldn't make it next time.

Ran an out of bounds play to get our best player a clean look which he swished to tie the game. Somehow that was bad. Yeah.

It was a good play because he made the shot. the Ga defender that switched on Monk damn near blocked his shot. Just really glad we won because we played like crap.

I just rewatched it and Georgia defended about as well as they could. But, I would not agree that he nearly blocked the shot. Monk had an opening and didn't hesitate. The defensive player was coming off of guarding Bam and did recover well, but not well enough.

I only remember people complaining that the shot was too tough and he wouldn't make it next time.

Ran an out of bounds play to get our best player a clean look which he swished to tie the game. Somehow that was bad. Yeah.

It was so good Brent Musburger thought it was a 3.

Reactions: Aike

I have always said that I want to win or lose with the ball in the hands of our best player. In this case, it was in the hands of the one guy who most likely would hit the shot. Kudos to Georgia for playing excellent d on that play too.

Except it wasn't a game winner it only tied the game. It was the worst statistical shot you can take in basketball a 20' foot two pointer considering you move back 6 inches it would been a 3 point shot and it would been a game winner and a great play. The worst shot you can take in basketball is a foot on the line 2 pointer.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I just rewatched it and Georgia defended about as well as they could. But, I would not agree that he nearly blocked the shot. Monk had an opening and didn't hesitate. The defensive player was coming off of guarding Bam and did recover well, but not well enough.

Technically, most shots are "almost blocked" if the defense only had another split second. Game of inches.

"That was a great, great out of bounds play - a re-screen that opened up Monk for the game winner." He also said it was the rare situation where the opponent was ready for the original play, there's a timeout, and the play coming out of the timeout was better than the original. He said Mark Fox did a really good job defending it, it was "just a great play call with great execution."

Things that make you go hmmmm. I really don't remember a lot of conversation here crediting Cal with that play call. I don't remember much talk about the play at all - other than talk about whether Monk walked (naturally, the only point raised was a negative one). Did the "Cal can't X and O!" crowd even notice the play? It's right up their alley - simple and easy to see, which tends to be the only kinds of things they see when it comes to X and O.

Maybe - although in any other situation where there's a great play credit goes to the head coach - maybe we ought to just give credit to Robic? The manager who lost sweat wiping duties? Oscar Combs? Rupp?.....

It would corrupt their argument if they acknowledge that Cal had a good play.

Except it wasn't a game winner it only tied the game. It was the worst statistical shot you can take in basketball a 20' foot two pointer considering you move back 6 inches it would been a 3 point shot and it would been a game winner and a great play. The worst shot you can take in basketball is a foot on the line 2 pointer.

Might want to put your computer away on this one. With 8 seconds left, get a clean look for your best shooter from anywhere you can.

I saw some complaining that he should drive. Why? Drive into the teeth of the defense with 8 seconds left and count on the refs to bail you out? Don't think so.

Reactions: UKUGA

The best shot is a lay up. Why didn't we run a play for that?

Cal can't coach......or........Cal won't coach?
Cal can't hide you..or ......Cal won't hide you?
Cal doesn't run plays.........Players make plays.
Cal doesn't play zone....(I can't hide you)
Cal doesn't call plays......figure it on the floor. (Ulis>>Fox)

All the things that Cal (can't/won't) do, he could.
positive ??...negative ??
Teaching decision making by the players is great,
Problem can't be that some players are slow learners.
With Cal it's all about making each player the best version of himself.
Many players have a long way to go and a short time (OAD) to get there.

At least Cal ran the play for him and didn't try and force to Bam or let Briscoe have some crazy drive.

At some point you need to trust your best player and know what he is capable of. Appears Cal knows this better than you.

Reactions: CalsKittens
One of the most absurd things I see on here is that Cal is not a good X and O coach or bench coach. Just idiotic IMO. He took UMASS to the FF and had them ranked #1 in the country and they beat maybe the best UK team ever. Just completely invalid opinion. Also, did the same thing at Memphis. Those were just remarkable coaching jobs.
You let Cal have been at UK as long as K has been at Duke or Williams at KU and UNC and he would have multiple titles IMO. He had to scrap from the bottom of the totem pole for a long time.

I thought the worst shot you can take is any that you miss:sunglasses:

Reactions: awf
I don't think many of us, UK fans, would trade Coach Cal for any other coach. He is without a doubt, the best recruiter I have ever seen in college ball. Is he the best x and o coach in college ball. I don't think so, and I'm entitled to my opinion, just as all of you are. The play he set to run against Georgia was beautiful, and well executed. During the last 17 seconds of the game against Georgia, Briscoe lost the ball out of bounds twice , while in the lane. One of the times, they went to the monitor to check and see who hit the ball. It went off the Georgia player's knee. I am not a fan of the "Dribble Drive", which Coach Cal uses. I like to see screens set, pick and rolls, back door cuts, double screens set, give and go, etc. When an opposing coach knows you are going to drive just about every time, he is going to pack it in, and we refuse to kick it out to the open forward.
When Wisconsin beat us with Towns in as center, Coach Cal did not have the twins pass the ball into Towns, even though the Wisconsin center had 4 fouls on him. The twins cost us that game.
We have had the number one recruiting class by some pundits all seven years Coach Cal has been here, but just one NC. U Conn has two, and Duke has two. There was NO way U Conn should have beat us, when they won the second one. Kentucky fans know basketball. I guarantee you that 90% of UK fans would have had their biggest player guarding the pass to Laettner, but Pitno didn't. He did from then on. Saying what we think, does not mean we don't like Coach Cal, or want to get rid of him. We are not lemmings.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Might want to put your computer away on this one. With 8 seconds left, get a clean look for your best shooter from anywhere you can.

I saw some complaining that he should drive. Why? Drive into the teeth of the defense with 8 seconds left and count on the refs to bail you out? Don't think so.

Although the look wasn't
Great, I'm glad Cal didn't do the "ram inside with your head down and pray these sh*t officials call it".

Better to get Monk some kind of look.

Although the look wasn't
Great, I'm glad Cal didn't do the "ram inside with your head down and pray these sh*t officials call it".

Better to get Monk some kind of look.

What wasn't great about it? Was the defender supposed to fall down?

It was a clean catch and shoot.

One of the most absurd things I see on here is that Cal is not a good X and O coach or bench coach. Just idiotic IMO. He took UMASS to the FF and had them ranked #1 in the country and they beat maybe the best UK team ever. Just completely invalid opinion. Also, did the same thing at Memphis. Those were just remarkable coaching jobs.
You let Cal have been at UK as long as K has been at Duke or Williams at KU and UNC and he would have multiple titles IMO. He had to scrap from the bottom of the totem pole for a long time.

Cawood I agree with you a lot, but in this case I've got a slightly different view.

I don't think we can really compare Cal at Umass or his early years at Memphis to Cal at UK. he doesn't recruit the same nor does he coach the same.

Having said that I think it's a choice. With younger teams he believes less = more. He attempts to simplify the game and sometimes it "appears" he's not a great floor coach. I think Cal is as capable as any floor coach but chooses a style that he feels fits 18 year olds better. He doesn't bwliefe he has the time to go through traditional methods to prepare the team.

I think he over simplifies to a point where his more untalented teams are far too easy to plan for, and I think this year we've seen it up close.

Imo.

Reactions: Mash 2.4
What wasn't great about it? Was the defender supposed to fall down?

It was a clean catch and shoot.

Just sayin it wasn't the best look Imaginable but we still got the ball in our best shooters hands for a chance. Could have been a better look but (dunk?) but it wasn't going to happen.

So what's worse the people saying Cal can't coach? Or the people telling us that the people who say Cal can't coach don't know what they're talking about?

So what's worse the people saying Cal can't coach? Or the people telling us that the people who say Cal can't coach don't know what they're talking about?

The one think I hate more than bitching is people bitching about bitching. Makes me start bitching about the people bitching about others bitching. Makes the board unreadable.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
The one think I hate more than bitching is people bitching about bitching. Makes me start bitching about the people bitching about others bitching. Makes the board unreadable.
Got it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It was a good play but out of bounds plays aren't Caliparis strong suit. Other coaches seem to get the upper hand on him in that category..see Rick Barnes and Coach hairpiece. Having said that...Tubby was awesome at that but no way would anyone want him over Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT