ADVERTISEMENT

Cal deserves a ton of credit for the inbounds play call in OT

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
That was a perfect call, and he had the perfect guys executing it. Reed made a great pass and DJ was quick enough to get separation. Also great job by Edwards to trail the play. Really nice to see something good coming out of a TO for once.

That was a perfect call, and he had the perfect guys executing it. Reed made a great pass and DJ was quick enough to get separation. Also great job by Edwards to trail the play. Really nice to see something good coming out of a TO for once.
Agree but Dj should have just laid it that pass off the backboard could have gone bad

Agree 💯. I hope Cal is having a rebirth. Nothing would make me happier than to see the old Cal out there kicking ass with real dudes. This team has some real dudes.

The adjustment to look for Mitchell after screening up top was a good one. St. Joe's was focused solely on preventing penetration after the pick. Mitchell had some wide open shots and made some big ones in OT to get us some breathing room.

Mitchell put a ton of pressure on St. Joes' big guys on the defensive end. They could either vacate the post and cover him outside, or sag off and leave him open. It looks like they chose to sag off him off picks and take their chances on Mitchell hitting threes.

I'd like to see Cal continue to keep things spaced out when (if?) we see Bradshaw and Ivisic.

Question how do you know Cal called that or it was just what happened and Reed made a great pass. Personally after making several of those long passes I hear UK football wants to talk to Reed.

• Haha
Reactions: ala_kat2
It's amazing that we think it's amazing when Cal actually draws up Xs and Os from time to time.

He's a fascinating coach, in that we expect something close to the bare minimum from him in that department.

It's amazing that we think it's amazing when Cal actually draws up Xs and Os from time to time.

He's a fascinating coach, in that we expect something close to the bare minimum from him in that department.

Cal won a close game, Cal won a close game, Cal won a close game.....

It was a smart move on his part. If Coach K had come up with it, you'd be singing his praises and calling him a hall of famer. When we compliment him, you can't even accept the compliment on his behalf. Yes, I will admit, there have been times when I've been frustrated by the big man base line toss in. But if you offer critiques for that, you should also offer a compliment when it is deserved.

Agree but Dj should have just laid it that pass off the backboard could have gone bad
Ill have to look again; but Im fairly confident that was another missed drive for wagner, well blocked actually. Was it a pass off the backboard like reeves gave edwards a few games ago?

Saw Reed’s ability to throw the long pass in HS. That was a chest pass which is tough to do.

He can throw it with either hand off the dribble as well. Uncanny.

Threw another long one late- which I thought oh no-but executed it again.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Question how do you know Cal called that or it was just what happened and Reed made a great pass. Personally after making several of those long passes I hear UK football wants to talk to Reed.
Proved can hit open man.

It was a smart move on his part. If Coach K had come up with it, you'd be singing his praises and calling him a hall of famer. When we compliment him, you can't even accept the compliment on his behalf. Yes, I will admit, there have been times when I've been frustrated by the big man base line toss in. But if you offer critiques for that, you should also offer a compliment when it is deserved.

ILL,

While I agree, and I am not one to pile on, but Cal has too few of those "Good coaching" moments to overcome the blown plans or plays and the lack thereof concerning those plan/ plans. He seems to most always be "disconnected" from the "moments".

IMO, he needs to earn a whole lot of coaching credibility back to get any praise though I do tend to give it anyway. (I am in no way judging as I don't want to be judged but Cal is real light in the coaching credibility department from this Ole boy's bag of accolades.) ;) (Bless you brother ILL.) 😁

(They call him ILL...) ;)

Cal won a close game, Cal won a close game, Cal won a close game.... 🤞 😁

ILL,

While I agree, and I am not one to pile on, but Cal has too few of those "Good coaching" moments to overcome the blown plans or plays and the lack thereof concerning those plan/ plans. He seems to most always be "disconnected" from the "moments".

IMO, he needs to earn a whole lot of coaching credibility back to get any praise though I do tend to give it anyway. (I am in no way judging as I don't want to be judged but Cal is real light in the coaching credibility department from this Ole boy's bag of accolades.) ;) (Bless you brother ILL.) 😁

(They call him ILL...) ;)

Cal won a close game, Cal won a close game, Cal won a close game.... 🤞 😁
In fairness, there were several things that took place during the game OTHER than this single in-bounds play that Cal deserves credit for. Some of it simple, some of it harder to observe for casual fans, some of it defensively - but this was just one of the Xs and Os that he did will last in orchestrating last night. That's not me being some kind of Cal "lover boy" like the Cal haters on here will be quick to post. Just calling it like I see it. Using Mitchell in the pick and pop w/the 7 footer on him, using Mitchell in the DHO actions, creating double gaps for DJ, high post touches for Adou, etc...

In fairness, there were several things that took place during the game OTHER than this single in-bounds play that Cal deserves credit for. Some of it simple, some of it harder to observe for casual fans, some of it defensively - but this was just one of the Xs and Os that he did will last in orchestrating last night. That's not me being some kind of Cal "lover boy" like the Cal haters on here will be quick to post. Just calling it like I see it. Using Mitchell in the pick and pop w/the 7 footer on him, using Mitchell in the DHO actions, creating double gaps for DJ, high post touches for Adou, etc...

Thanks and good post,

I am the first to admit my basketball expertise is minimal at best, I just love the CATS.... I long for the days Cal was Swaggy Cal. His focus is not where it needs to be. That causes the snowball effect and jump to current-day Cal in my book. A lot of what Cal needs to take care of would take care of itself if Cal can gain back a better work focus.

My take.... I love the players first mentality, I love the ending generational poverty mantra/ mindset, BUT, I also loves the Kentucky Wildcats. I am of the inclination that Cal can do all these things and do them well but alas.........for a long time, he has not done all of these well and it is at a great cost/ loss..... (Like I tell my Grand kids and children, I have enough love for ALL of you and more to spare, don't be jealous.) ;) Take care!

Ya think Cal’s gonna coach this year?

I think the defender just recovered well and altered the shot. I wonder if Cal specifically told Edwards to trail or if he just did it without needing to be told. Either way I’m glad he did!!
I think this is basketball acumen on the part of Edwards. No coach could predict that. The coaches job is to teach players to pursue the ball. The athlete must execute. If they don’t, that’s on the athletes, not the coach. Edward’s executed.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Not sure I like the idea of a HEAVILY contested layup with a three point lead with 39 seconds to go and 30 on the shot clock.

Edwards' man blocked the layup, which left him open for the rebound.

It worked out great...but not deserving of "a ton of credit"

Reactions: GoBIG BLUE
I compliment Cal all the time when it's warranted. I've complimented his recruiting resurgence, his offensive system this year, his usage of the 5 out offense. You seem to have me pigeonholed.

But let's be honest. We might be the only fan base in the world that has to start threads on out-of-bounds plays. Think about that for a moment.

I think the vast majority of this stuff that’s laid at Cal’s feet is simply poor skill sets on the part of players in years past. We have been fortunate to have exceedingly athletic and talented players but frankly many of them had not learned to play basketball for spit. When you have unskilled players, everyone looks bad, even the coach. The last several years, the coaches have been teaching things that should be second nature to any high schooler. This is why people are going bonkers over Reed. When you get down to brass tacks, there is only one thing about him that stands out. He can play basketball. We just forgot what that looks like.

I compliment Cal all the time when it's warranted. I've complimented his recruiting resurgence, his offensive system this year, his usage of the 5 out offense. You seem to have me pigeonholed.

But let's be honest. We might be the only fan base in the world that has to start threads on out-of-bounds plays. Think about that for a moment.
Had to come up with something new, they had gotten a TO earlier on our bread and butter lob to a big guy

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat
Whomever drew that up definitely deserves credit. Whether or not that was cal - who's to say. We never saw that before. Before it was always the basic post up to get it inbounds.

Not sure I like the idea of a HEAVILY contested layup with a three point lead with 39 seconds to go and 30 on the shot clock.

Edwards' man blocked the layup, which left him open for the rebound.

It worked out great...but not deserving of "a ton of credit"
I agree, its what could be considered an example of wagners' 'hero ball' moment that by chance turned out well. As contested as that was, bleed the clock and guarantee a two possession lead. Shew, scary!

I agree, its what could be considered an example of wagners' 'hero ball' moment that by chance turned out well. As contested as that was, bleed the clock and guarantee a two possession lead. Shew, scary!

I get what you’re saying, but Cal has been crucified on here for years by many, including myself, for playing “not to lose” in tight games. So I’m going to give him credit when he actually plays to win… even if it was a little risky.

Cub and Welch

Agree 💯. I hope Cal is having a rebirth. Nothing would make me happier than to see the old Cal out there kicking ass with real dudes. This team has some real dudes.
Puh-leez. CCC almost lost another one. He’s the worst.

I think Coach K "did come up with it"... seems like I remember a game where Grant Hill threw a pass to somebody down the court. LOL

I think this is basketball acumen on the part of Edwards. No coach could predict that. The coaches job is to teach players to pursue the ball. The athlete must execute. If they don’t, that’s on the athletes, not the coach. Edward’s executed.
Totally agree with this. I don't doubt Cal wrote up the inbound run-out, but you'd have to be clairvoyant to write up the follow up. It was quite an amazing defensive play for the St Joe's guy to get to that lay-up but it was a better play to rebound and follow-up dunk by Edwards.

I would have preferred to see DJ either hit Edwards following with the pass OR just pull the ball out and run the time out. I think the first option would be better because we needed the points and it put us up by 5.

Reactions: kybassfan
Totally agree with this. I don't doubt Cal wrote up the inbound run-out, but you'd have to be clairvoyant to write up the follow up. It was quite an amazing defensive play for the St Joe's guy to get to that lay-up but it was a better play to rebound and follow-up dunk by Edwards.

I would have preferred to see DJ either hit Edwards following with the pass OR just pull the ball out and run the time out. I think the first option would be better because we needed the points and it put us up by 5.
In hindsight, yes, there were higher percentage options. But, with an 18 - 20 year old brain. Half second to make decisions. I might have done the same or more likely, screwed it up badly.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

I think Cal is engaged again honestly. Go look at his pictures from 2020. He looked dead tired and worn down. He looks a lot better recently to me. Like he’s healthier or got a spark back a little. I also think the Welch hire was amazing. Everyone on the inside said the dude was good, I think Cal is listening to his input.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT