ADVERTISEMENT

Any of the 'Cal can't coach' yahoos hear Bilas raving about the out of bounds play vs UGa?

Cawood I agree with you a lot, but in this case I've got a slightly different view.

I don't think we can really compare Cal at Umass or his early years at Memphis to Cal at UK. he doesn't recruit the same nor does he coach the same.

Having said that I think it's a choice. With younger teams he believes less = more. He attempts to simplify the game and sometimes it "appears" he's not a great floor coach. I think Cal is as capable as any floor coach but chooses a style that he feels fits 18 year olds better. He doesn't bwliefe he has the time to go through traditional methods to prepare the team.

I think he over simplifies to a point where his more untalented teams are far too easy to plan for, and I think this year we've seen it up close.

Imo.
I'm sure he has changed his style. He's even said his older players from years ago give him a hard time about it. Part of it is him getting older I think. Part of it is him being more accomplished and comfortable with himself.
The college has changed too. Nobody in the country gets his freshman to perform like Cal does. That's coaching. I personally think his best coaching job at UK has been '10-'11 team. Getting that team to a FF was just a masterful job. Beating OSU and UNC to do that, who both had better teams.

Reactions: morgousky
I'm sure he has changed his style. He's even said his older players from years ago give him a hard time about it. Part of it is him getting older I think. Part of it is him being more accomplished and comfortable with himself.
The college has changed too. Nobody in the country gets his freshman to perform like Cal does. That's coaching. I personally think his best coaching job at UK has been '10-'11 team. Getting that team to a FF was just a masterful job. Beating OSU and UNC to do that, who both had better teams.

My favorite team is Knights team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT