ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Edwards was close to committing to UK

Revisionist history that makes for a story but nobody had him choosing UK. I'd have reminded Edwards of his family story he shared as a primary reason of choosing UGA so either that was complete bull**** or he just wanted to get some attention and realized lying about his recruitment and mentioning Kentucky gets more notice from people then saying you played for UGA.

“Dear biggest fan base in basketball, you should continue to support me and help build my brand in the pros because I really wanted to play for your school...but I um...I didn’t(snicker). No really. I was totally going to pick Kentucky”

The only players I care about "almost" committing to Kentucky is Tracy McGrady and Dirk

Bird.
Iverson.
T-Mac.
Allen.

Would have loved any of those four in a UK uniform. The first two were coming if offered. T-Mac was a product of the "straight to NBA route".

Pitino screwed up the Ray Allen recruitment.

Iverson would have been the point guard on the '96 team. Can you imagine?

Bird.
Iverson.
T-Mac.
Allen.

Would have loved any of those four in a UK uniform. The first two were coming if offered. T-Mac was a product of the "straight to NBA route".

That 96 team was still pretty stellar even without Iverson! "THE UNTOUCHABLES" one of the greatest teams in NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball History!

Bird.
Iverson.
T-Mac.
Allen.

This is going to sound super weird, but I think that team was better off with Anthony Epps running the point than a ball dominant AI.

Bird.
Iverson.
T-Mac.
Allen.

Joe loved Bird as a player and person. It was an academic thing. Joe never mentioned it publicly and took the heat not to embarrass Larry.

“Dear biggest fan base in basketball, you should continue to support me and help build my brand in the pros because I really wanted to play for your school...but I um...I didn’t(snicker). No really. I was totally going to pick Kentucky”

This.

Pay no mind to these statements made after their college careers are over. This just reads as self serving tripe. "Hey, y'all should be my fans and buy my shoes and stuff because ...umm, well ...almost!"

Joe loved Bird as a player and person. It was an academic thing. Joe never mentioned it publicly and took the heat not to embarrass Larry.

This is nonsense. You're just making stuff up. There was never any issue over whether Bird qualified academically. If he qualified at IU (where he originally went) then he certainly did at UK as well.

Fwiw, Joe B himself has previously talked about the reason why he chose not to offer Bird. He said the issue was with the the ultra-shy quiet personality Bird had back then. Apparently Bird barely said two words on his entire visit to UK. And Joe B was so struck by his inability to get the kid to talk that he (logically) concluded a kid that shy would not fit in the Lexington media fishbowl where the glare never leaves UK players.

Of course, Joe B didn't know how awesome Bird was at the time. No college coach did. Back then, Bird's awesomeness was a secret known only in a pocket of southern Indiana. If Joe had known, I'm sure he would've offered.

Last edited:
The only players I care about "almost" committing to Kentucky is Tracy McGrady and Dirk
Daryl Dawkins and James”Poodle”Willoughby were 2 greats that we had on the way. Could you imagine chocolate thunder here! From what I remember we had AI until he decided to riot in a bowling alley. Big George took him in at Gtown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT