ADVERTISEMENT

Another clinic by Sheppard

What's race got to do with anything?
What agenda?
Did I hurt your feelings talking about your stupid used car salesman of a coach? Glad he is gone. Now if his lovers would just do the same
Cal Sucks. I've said that several times. More than I can count. If fact, I was advocating for Pope as soon as he left and called an idiot for doing so. BURN.

I'm gonna get NBA league pass for the first time this year so I can watch Reed play. Are you? Didn't think so.

Anybody that thnks a player can't have a bad game unless it's the coaches fault has never played sports and is posting form sheer emotion because that coach hurt their little feeliings.

Hopefully they've come up with good medication for CDS by now.

Oakland game:

Reed 26 minutes
Wagner 17 minutes
Edwards 15 minutes

Reed was held back! He socred a whoppin 3 points in the 26 minutes and had countless mistakes on top of that. It is what it is. Edwards had 10 points in far less minutes but lets go after him and not Reed. Kind of shreds your credibility.

The number 3 pick in the draft had a miserable game. It happens.

But I get it. Some have bobble heads of Macy and Farmer hanging from their rear view mirror and "them's fighin' words!" if you dare critique one of their boys. Too funny.

Can't wait to watch Reed, Dilly, etc, on NBA league pass this year.

Good chance Reed doesn’t get summer league MVP since they may sit him the rest of the way after those first two games.

As far as RotY, it will be hard to do that coming off the bench. Some of these other rookies have played well in the summer league and will be on teams that get them a lot of shots.

Just pointing out that he played awful that game. Arguably his worst game of the year. Not open for debate. I’m white by the way. Take your agenda and go cool off. Enjoy the rest of your life as I’ll see none of it.

PS, check your stats on how much Shep played that game. He wasn’t cheeted out of playing time like idiots keep saying.
Why are you mentioning your race?

Not a single person in this thread (other than you) ever remotely suggested that race had anything to do with this discussion. So why would you feel the need to take it there?

That's what happens when "only March matters". That mattering becomes too big and pressure ridden. And then we expect 18 year old kids to turn it on like a light switch.

That was the only Calism I could never argue with- "They aren't machines." He was right about that. They aren't.

The problem was they had iffy leadership going into those big games. And so they had nothing left to fall back on when the "machines" didn't work.
March didn't matter to Cal, though. That's the bigger problem. He just said that. If it really mattered, he would have prepared the team for March. He didn't do that. He prepared his players for June. He'd been doing that for years. UK should sue him.

bUT hE's NoT tALL eNoUgH
Do you guys really think Cal was that bad. A hall of fame coach. Grade school coaches know to play their best players. All the in bound plays we give up. You don't think he knew what to do. All the remarks looks like he's trying to loose. I would like to know the truth. But just turning into a horrible coach. No way

Reed is a tremendous talent, no question, but you are absolutely correct about the Oakland game. He was a no-show and felt the pressure. There is little doubt he learned from the experience and seems more comfortable with the Rockets, obviously looking confident under the pressure of showing he deserved where he was selected.
You're right, he was a no show, but to anyone with eyes it was clear our best three players were Reeves, Reed and Rob. Reeves being the only one with NCAA experience and as veteran as you can get.

You DON'T change the way the team has played all season by trying to feed the post to Tre on repeat who hadn't shown an ability to be effective for weeks after he returned from injury.

It's like having a future pro bowl QB as a rookie in his first playoff game, you've gotta get him settled in, you don't call a deep cross on the first play, get him some quick completions so he can 'see the ball go in the net.' Same thing with freshmen, gotta run something for your 2 best freshman to get them settled and not get them feeling like the game is too big.

Cal did the exact opposite, he started with a strategy that didn't play to our biggest strengths, it didn't work, it gave Oakland belief and our freshmen and even older guys doubt. Cal tensed up on the sideline which made the players tense too. Tale as old as time at this point.

All that is to say, sure Reed didn't show up, but the deck was stacked against him by dumb strategy and poor in game coaching. So I don't fault him at all in that regard.

Last edited:
hard to believe there are still people who don’t understand it’s not just about minutes. Hard to believe there are people who still don’t understand how the flow of the game/ momentum / swings can be completely thrown off by not having the right lineups in the game and how continuously playing guys that don’t need to be playing hurts the team.

It’s unbelievable that anyone would continue to talk about the minutes and back John Calipari’s stupid sht but here we are. It’s only a few numbskulls at this point but man those few really cannot handle the reality that’s come home to roost. It’s a blatant arrogant defiance from the ones who’ve now shifted to “I’m glad Cals gone but Reed got minutes / Reed didn’t show up / whatever” and it’s out of pure force. Won’t change but must adapt to survive. The Cal Cult.

Reactions: Mossip and CELTICAT
hard to believe there are still people who don’t understand it’s not just about minutes. Hard to believe there are people who still don’t understand how the flow of the game/ momentum / swings can be completely thrown off by not having the right lineups in the game and how continuously playing guys that don’t need to be playing hurts the team.

It’s unbelievable that anyone would continue to talk about the minutes and back John Calipari’s stupid sht but here we are. It’s only a few numbskulls at this point but man those few really cannot handle the reality that’s come home to roost. It’s a blatant arrogant defiance from the ones who’ve now shifted to “I’m glad Cals gone but Reed got minutes / Reed didn’t show up / whatever” and it’s out of pure force. Won’t change but must adapt to survive. The Cal Cult.
I'm far from backing up Cal as anyone would know, but the starting/lineups thing has been overblown. Yes it was a factor. But there were much bigger reasons that we weren't good - and they all had to do with the lack of other coaching elements - offense, defense, game planning, in-game strategy, player development throughout the year, etc.

Also, Cal clearly had one foot out the door the last part of last season as well. Do you think think that might have had an impact on player motivation and morale? Could the players going to the NBA have realized that the coach was mailing it in and the team had no chance of going far, so why should they put any effort and possibly get injured right before the draft?

Yes - the lineups mattered, but they aren't the most important thing. They are on a long list of important things that Cal was failing to do correctly or do at all.

Reactions: JonathanW
Sorry to interrupt y'all's little slap fight that you fill every damn thread with, but I watched Reed's highlights from yesterday and the kid is just incredible. I didn't doubt it but he's definitely going to be successful in the league. His skill set is just perfect for the way the game is played now.

Hes got a chip on his shoulders thanks to Coach Coward. When he was back seated for a kid that was as bad as Wagner it lights a fire that we are seeing now.
Just a stupid assumption on your part.
He has said before he wasn’t expecting to play much as a FR when he arrived on campus. In that game yesterday they played a 1-min interview they had with him the day before, and he squeezed in an appreciation of Coach Cal (when his name had not been mentioned). Doesn’t sound like a bitter kid or one with a chip on his shoulder.

As an aside, during game yesterday they also interviewed the Houston president or GM, and he said a day or two before they first met with Sheppard, they met with another high-pick from Kentucky (obviously Rob). And Rob was singing Reed’s praises like they had never seen before from a teammate. I thought that was really cool to hear about both Rob and Reed.
These 2 may be my favorite 2 Cats that played for Cal after Ulis.

He has said before he wasn’t expecting to play much as a FR when he arrived on campus. In that game yesterday they played a 1-min interview they had with him the day before, and he squeezed in an appreciation of Coach Cal (when his name had not been mentioned). Doesn’t sound like a bitter kid or one with a chip on his shoulder.

As an aside, during game yesterday they also interviewed the Houston president or GM, and he said a day or two before they first met with Sheppard, they met with another high-pick from Kentucky (obviously Rob). And Rob was singing Reed’s praises like they had never seen before from a teammate. I thought that was really cool to hear about both Rob and Reed.

The CDS with some is so over the top that all you can do is bless their hearts and look away.

I won't argue that but at least Cal did recruit him, albeit because he probably felt pressure to do so. However, I know for a fact that a former UT player tried to get Rick Barnes to go after Reed and Barnes said he wasn't athletic enough to play in the SEC. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
They obviously didn’t know his gene pool or ever see him do drills then. He just never crammed on anyone that often or didn’t catch lobs so therefore he’s not athletic lol. Even though he’s got a 42 inch vertical.

Sorry to interrupt y'all's little slap fight that you fill every damn thread with, but I watched Reed's highlights from yesterday and the kid is just incredible. I didn't doubt it but he's definitely going to be successful in the league. His skill set is just perfect for the way the game is played now.
Every single person in this thread knows he's gonna be wildly successful in the leage. I'm getting the league pass to watch every game. The lack of reading skills in this thread is jaw dropping. Or maybe it's just agendsa.

Houston just got a ton of new fans. Definitely one right here.

Not responding to the “but minutes” segment. They clearly know nothing about basketball I just don’t think they realize it.

I won't argue that, either. Just remembering that game.
It’s one of 30+ playing for a coach, that by the end of the season, was coaching extremely tight and had spit the bit. Reed should’ve and could’ve been better against Oakland. Cal should’ve been good enough all yr to survive a one off against freaking Oakland.

freshmen made freshmen mistakes....
he and dilly looked silly making mistakes they didnt make all season...
shep was passing it to the fans in stands in our last game.

Yeah, Cal had em ready to go. Didn't do an ounce of prep for a zone defense, and we were running our offense through Tre Mitchell in then1st half, shooting 12 footers. Hell, I would have gave up that shot all game.

Watching Reed play two Summer League games has turned me into William Shatner smoking a cigarette on a stool.

I'm a Rocket Man.

Had me till you said Edward's was starting to look like the number 1 recruit. In what world? He hit a few shots yes but anyone could tell he was in no way the number 1 recruit.
That’s just it. For about 4 games he shot the ball crazy good. Thats it. Everything else was the same horrid play all yr long.

Last edited:
I won't argue that BUT Reed had all the chances in the world against Oakland and was absymal. I mean he was HORRIBLE in that game.
Even with his off night with the three R’s in the game we beat Oakland by four . If we had a coach who would call time out after their first three and teach his team to jam their 3 point shooter down low before he completed his rotation we win by 20 plus with the three R’s playing the hole game . But we had a suburb recruiter as a coach who could be out coached by most high school coaches and probably some jr high coaches .

He insisted on playing incredibly stupid lineups .

Reactions: cathouse
Even with his off night with the three R’s in the game we beat Oakland by four . If we had a coach who would call time out after their first three and teach his team to jam their 3 point shooter down low before he completed his rotation we win by 20 plus with the three R’s playing the hole game . But we had a suburb recruiter as a coach who could be out coached by most high school coaches and probably some jr high coaches .

He insisted on playing incredibly stupid lineups .
Cal is awful but Reed did have a terrible game by his standards. Two things can be true. The sun not shining being blamed on Calipari is weak and pathetic. When a player plays good it was despite Cal. When a player plays bad it was because of Cal. Ohhh those armchair QB’s with hindsight. They’re undefeated in their opinions. 🤣

Reed and Rob were both bad in that Oakland game. Reeves carried us.

However, when you start and play non sensical lineup combinations it can throw everyone off.

Once again we did not play our best lineup(Reed, Rob, Reeves, Justin/Adou, Tre/Z) nearly enough minutes. Cal trotted out DJ, who was startistically the worst point on the team, and then two centers in tre and ugo. Kind of hard for anyone to get into a rhythm when you start 2 centers and 3 non shooters against a zone.

Cal set everyone up to fail. Honestly he might have just been trying to get the season over because he knew he was gone.
Bingo.
Winner winner. Chicken dinner.

Cal tanked that game. Period.

He knew he was leaving and wanted to give the fans one last middle finger. Petty little man.

They should have been playing together 25-30 mpg. What in the **** were you doing, Cal?
I have shown several times how those 3 couldn’t play 25-30 mpg together.
Reed played about 34, Reeves 32. Say you bump them both up to 35 (more than that is just dumb, players need rest, and remember many blame Grady’s injury to playing several games over 35). But Rob could go 25-28 at most because he fouled so much (he had 4-5 fouls in 60% of his games). But let’s be optimistic and say you could get 30min from him somehow. That is 100min from the 3 of them. We shouldn’t want to play any minutes with <2 of them on the floor. But if you play the 3 of them together 30min, then the other 10 you are playing with only 1 (unless you play some with 0). What if you play 25 with all 3? Then you would play 5min with just 1 of them. So simply put, the math doesn’t work.

I won't argue that but at least Cal did recruit him, albeit because he probably felt pressure to do so. However, I know for a fact that a former UT player tried to get Rick Barnes to go after Reed and Barnes said he wasn't athletic enough to play in the SEC. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Cal did NOT recruit Sheppard. Everybody needs to stop saying that.

He OFFERED Sheppard.

Here they come to save Cal's bacon! LOL

Reed played about 34, Reeves 32. Say you bump them both up to 35 (more than that is just dumb, players need rest, and remember many blame Grady’s injury to playing several games over 35). But Rob could go 25-28 at most because he fouled so much (he had 4-5 fouls in 60% of his games). But let’s be optimistic and say you could get 30min from him somehow. That is 100min from the 3 of them. We shouldn’t want to play any minutes with <2 of them on the floor. But if you play the 3 of them together 30min, then the other 10 you are playing with only 1 (unless you play some with 0). What if you play 25 with all 3? Then you would play 5min with just 1 of them. So simply put, the math doesn’t work.
You just took my numbers, changed them, and then tried (and failed) to mathematically prove your straw man.

You should just take the L and stop. You look like a fool. Cal is gone and he was a failure. Get over it.

Cal is awful but Reed did have a terrible game by his standards. Two things can be true. The sun not shining being blamed on Calipari is weak and pathetic. When a player plays good it was despite Cal. When a player plays bad it was because of Cal. Ohhh those armchair QB’s with hindsight. They’re undefeated in their opinions. 🤣

When are you going to stop visiting and go back to your permanent residence on the Arkansas board?

Didn't you slurp Cal all the time? Please just stop talking. We don't need to hear anything else you have to say.

Here they come to save Cal's bacon! LOL
WTH. I’m NOT a Cal supporter. I just hate when people exaggerate or make stuff up to make a (valid) point, because they are actually making their point look invalid.
Should Reed or Rob have started? Absolutely!
Was Reed screwed out of minutes? No, he was 2nd on the team, and maybe 1st once SEC play started.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
Didn't you slurp Cal all the time? Please just stop talking. We don't need to hear anything else you have to say.
You are an ignorant misinformed idiot.
I never “slurped” anyone. I was ready to move on from Cal after 9-16 in 21. But I supported the team , the players, no matter who is coach (unlike some on here, probably you).
I apologize if you hate seeing FACTS when they don’t support your ignorant opinions.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT