ADVERTISEMENT

And just like that college basketball was destroyed

Drcatfan

Sophomore
Apr 14, 2015
The combination of the transfer rule and NIL have destroyed college basketball. Now players on lesser teams can try to play themselves up to get more money on a bigger team every year. The big teams with the most money will be able to field the best team on paper every year a la the New York Yankees.

Who knows how long this current environment will last, but one thing is for sure. You are going to need one of the highest NIL budgets to compete. UK better focus on raising funds for NIL.

The big teams have always fielded the best teams on paper. What's changed?
Well parity will be more spread out among the top 25 or so but everyone else with be raised. Roster continuity and continually having to coming up with 5-6 million dollars for a roster is not easy.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, then every day would be Erntedankfest.
200w.gif

And how do you know it is "old heads" that are posting this ????
Old or young this "system" stinks . Yeah I'm 57 and been a fan for 50 years ... you really want. to run off fans of your program ? , many who foot the bills for this shitshow .. Stuway , this " old people suck" routine is not cool , not cool at all. In case you need told -- things that are bad for the game are bad , whether you are 20 or 80. Clear ?

And yes I feel more blue blood leaking out of me by the minute .. I'm not the kinda guy that roots for a player or a team because they put the Ky jersey on for 6 months. . These guys and their demands of millions of dollars as they step out of HS - piss on that . You can scream freedom all you want but it's the proverbial killing of the goos that laid the golden egg .

Last edited:
When 16 year olds are demanding millions of dollars to play a season of college basketball, things have gone astray
When people are PAYING them to do that, that's when things have gone astray. The players are just asking for what the market says they should get.

I can't blame the kids for that. And nor should anyone. If someone offered me that kind of money to do something I really truly loved, I'd take it. And so....would...you, especially if you needed it.

Now, like Hurley, in several years if I was financially stable and happy where I was? No amount of money could lure me.

Is this not how it’s always been? The only difference is it’s done in the open now instead of behind closed doors.
No, this is not how it has always been.

Did some players get paid under the table? Sure. But it was against the rules and that kept it in check to some extent.

Did players get to transfer at will from season to season and demand a price tag for their services? Nope.

Were schools and coaches faced with the prospect of pouring resources in to supporting, developing, housing, feeding, and educating players only to have the bulk of their roster hit the portal after 9 months on campus and have to start all over again? Nope.

No, this is not how it has always been.

One and done is killing college and pro ball. You don't have any stars in college so it doesn't become a natural feeder system to hype up pro ball like Bird vs Magic back in the day. It's a collection of people nobody has heard of playing against each other.

make it 20 yo to enter the draft and you'd see tons of guys not going pro because they'd get exposed in that second year and it would benefit everyone involved.

The fact kids are getting NIL now takes out the whole point of "having to let kids earn for their family".

Not worried about CBB in the long(er) run. Like anything that's been around a long while and starts changing, people will talk about the perceived problems. Some will accept whatever the situation is, some will think about it and throw out ideas intended to make the situation better, and some will always remain mired in a "it's all over" mindset and will knockdown any idea - always saying "it won't work," but never offering any solutions of their own. It's human nature. But it's also human nature to get these type of things worked out eventually (although often not smoothly or linearly).

Last edited:
Did some players get paid under the table? Sure. But it was against the rules and that kept it in check to some extent.
LoL oh you sweet summer child

Bag men paying players was not in fact kept in any sort of check, for decades. Schools and boosters laughed and broke ncaa rules with no fear and paid LOTS of players, not "some".

The combination of the transfer rule and NIL have destroyed college basketball. Now players on lesser teams can try to play themselves up to get more money on a bigger team every year. The big teams with the most money will be able to field the best team on paper every year a la the New York Yankees.

Who knows how long this current environment will last, but one thing is for sure. You are going to need one of the highest NIL budgets to compete. UK better focus on raising funds for NIL.
I think worse than NIL is transfer portal by far. Now they doubled down and made it so a kid can transfer as many times as he wants w/o sitting out. That part, more than the money, makes me not care very much. Every single year coaches all over the nation will be scrambling for new players. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: westerncat
What's the issue OP? We ARE the New York Yankees. Seems like we should be ecstatic about this.
We are the Yankee's in intangibles that used to matter.
Money matters now... and we are not the Yankees.
If they wanted to; Texas, Harvard, Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA, Stanford, Duke, and North Carolina could buy all the players they wanted.
Even Kansas has a bigger endowment and wealthier donors.

LoL oh you sweet summer child

Bag men paying players was not in fact kept in any sort of check, for decades. Schools and boosters laughed and broke ncaa rules with no fear and paid LOTS of players, not "some".
Ok. $1 million+ to players for 1 season has been going on for decades at all the schools?

Old or young this "system" stinks . Yeah I'm 57 and been a fan for 50 years ... you really want. to run off fans of your program ? , many who foot the bills for this shitshow .. Stuway , this " old people suck" routine is not cool , not cool at all. In case you need told -- things that are bad for the game are bad , whether you are 20 or 80. Clear ?
Lol I'm 50 this year. Get busy living or get busy dying. See your so outta touch old head isn't even a name about age, it's about how you think, old fashioned.

So you're wrong on about every level. Sorry the players aren't taken advantage of anymore and exploited for billions. Gotta keep up man, get with times. Different isn't always worse. New isn't always worse. Things can change and you gotta roll with them not always against.

One and done is killing college and pro ball. You don't have any stars in college so it doesn't become a natural feeder system to hype up pro ball like Bird vs Magic back in the day. It's a collection of people nobody has heard of playing against each other.

make it 20 yo to enter the draft and you'd see tons of guys not going pro because they'd get exposed in that second year and it would benefit everyone involved.

The fact kids are getting NIL now takes out the whole point of "having to let kids earn for their family".
1 and Done is dead. The opposite is reality now…late rd guys are more likely to stay then end up overseas, bc it’s safe to. Before Covid no 5 stars for any team stayed…outside of for unc, and that’s bc they usually underperformed early on.

Kids don’t even have to play college anymore if they don’t want, they can play for overtime elite.

Have no problem with NIL…think they need to fix transfer portal with some sort of contract.

Should of kept Cal. Think of it, in five years when the kids are making 20-30 million a year they will begging to stay for as many years as they can. (I am not serious, of course).

Reactions: JudgeSmells24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT