ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time NBA Draft Winner GoBigBlueFanGA

Here we are at the dead period. Although I guess BigBlue could still make his pick in the dead period.

I’m not sure how much time he has in the morning if he doesn’t pick tonight. The limit is 6 hours but he wasn’t OTC til 5:30 or so & only had 5.5 hours til the deadline. Does he get 6 more hours in the morning or 30 minutes, @DraftCat? Hopefully he picks soon & makes it moot.

It's cool. I've been there. I'd have given you a good bit of the morning if needed and DraftCat was cool with it.
I'm kind of a hardliner with the time. If I'm up, the second my clock runs out the next guy can pick. I hate slowing down the process.

And with Pick 13, the first pick of Round 2, I am going to zig while everybody else zags and double up on big guys, forming my own version of the Twin Towers like the Spurs did in the late 1990s with Tim Duncan and another player I won't name drop. This selection is Hakeem Olajuwon

Brutal. You and I have similar ideas down low, dominance. My pick may seem a tad early but he's easily on pace to be mentioned with the all-time greats. He and Wilt underneath would be almost unstoppable on offense. He and Wilt on defense would be really tough to score against. I'll take our own, AD.

Reactions: UKRuppster
Brutal. You and I have similar ideas down low, dominance.

I don't know if I'd say I planned on going with two big guys, but with the way the first 11 picks played out, I felt like it was the way to go. Had to adjust my strategy on the fly seeing Oscar Robertson, John Stockton and Steph Curry being picked at point guard. Magic I expected would be gone long before 12, which he was. I'll say Hakeem was at or near the top of my board for possibly targets when I found out I was getting the 12th and 13th picks thinking there was a good chance he'd be there. Wanted someone like him to bang with Wilt, Shaq and Kareem. Bill Russell I wasn't expecting to be there, so I felt like I had to take him.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Got myself two of the best defensive big guys of all-time with Bill Russell and Hakeem 'The Dream.' Hakeem is the NBA's all-time leader in blocked shots, and he took the Orlando version of Shaq to school in the 1995 Finals. Not only was Hakeem a dominant defender, but he was a tremendous offensive player as well. His footwork is some of the best the game has ever seen, which along with his fakes and spin moves, made him a tremendous offensive weapon and 23-28 PPG scorer at his peak.

Then Bill Russell, he's one of the smartest players in NBA history. He was a rebounding and defensive ace who was one of the few who could frustrate Wilt back in the day. There wasn't a better teammate nor a bigger winner in the history of this league, and there likely never will be a bigger winner than Mr. Russell. Not taking a shot at Wilt, who is the best statistical player of all-time, but Russell would want to keep the ball in play when he blocked shots, as opposed to Wilt, who would often block shots out of bounds. Russell wanted to get that fastbreak going for that Celtics dyansty throughout the 60s.

Got myself two of the best defensive big guys of all-time with Bill Russell and Hakeem 'The Dream.' Hakeem is the NBA's all-time leader in blocked shots, and he took the Orlando version of Shaq to school in the 1995 Finals. Not only was Hakeem a dominant defender, but he was a tremendous offensive player as well. His footwork is some of the best the game has ever seen, which along with his fakes and spin moves, made him a tremendous offensive weapon and 23-28 PPG scorer at his peak.

Then Bill Russell, he's one of the smartest players in NBA history. He was a rebounding and defensive ace who was one of the few who could frustrate Wilt back in the day. There wasn't a better teammate nor a bigger winner in the history of this league, and there likely never will be a bigger winner than Mr. Russell. Not taking a shot at Wilt, who is the best statistical player of all-time, but Russell would want to keep the ball in play when he blocked shots, as opposed to Wilt, who would often block shots out of bounds. Russell wanted to get that fastbreak going for that Celtics dyansty throughout the 60s.
Russell was a brilliantly smart man on the court. I went with Wilt with the intention of pairing him with AD. Otherwise I would have taken Russell.

Russell was a brilliantly smart man on the court. I went with Wilt with the intention of pairing him with AD. Otherwise I would have taken Russell.

Couldn't have gone wrong pairing either of them with the Brow. And yes, AD went a bit earlier than I expected, but another 20 or so guys would have been taken before you picked again. Can't say for sure if he'd have still been there at the end of Round 3, especially not on a Kentucky forum.

If you'd have gone Russell, I'd have just paired Wilt with Hakeem. If you chose AD over both, I'd have likely gone with the Russell/Wilt combo.

Couldn't have gone wrong pairing either of them with the Brow. And yes, AD went a bit earlier than I expected, but another 20 or so guys would have been taken before you picked again. Can't say for sure if he'd have still been there at the end of Round 3, especially not on a Kentucky forum.
I'm 100% sure I couldn't wait. At worst he would have gone early in round 3. He's the 2nd best player in the league now. Another couple years at this level and he's a HOF lock.

I'm 100% sure I couldn't wait. At worst he would have gone early in round 3. He's the 2nd best player in the league now. Another couple years at this level and he's a HOF lock.

Maybe he's not a 100 percent stone cold lock ATM, but I think he'd already be a Hall of Famer if he for some reason decided to retire tomorrow.

All teams need a top notch medical staff so with my second pick I'll take
51jVnCYznnL._SY445_.jpg

Scottie Pippen

I liked dogging on Scottie growing up for riding Jordan's coattails (who didn't?), but without him, Michael's not considered the G.O.A.T. by many. Definitely grew a bigger appreciation for him as I got older.

George Gervin

🧊 🧊 🧊 🧊 🧊

Karl Malone

✉️ ✉️ ✉️ ✉️ ✉️

Mailman was just behind Hakeem in what I was considering for my frontcourt along with Russell.

Elgin Baylor

Outstanding pick. Wish he hadn't started dealing with injuries a few years into his career.

Since Scottie was just picked, I don't mind sharing this Hakeem commercial with Scottie co-starring since I failed to find a picture of Hakeem this site would allow me to post on the thread:

I was praying Olajuwon would fall to my next pick but I knew better. He’s probably my favorite big man of all time. He didn’t shoot 3s but did everything else at least as well as any other C to ever play. He was so fun to watch with his assortment of fakes & drop steps. Just as dominant defensively too. There’s never been a more skilled big man, IMO. I wish Jordan had been around in 94 & 95 to play Olajuwon’s Rockets in the Finals. Chicago had no answer for him.

I was praying Olajuwon would fall to my next pick but I knew better. He’s probably my favorite big man of all time. He didn’t shoot 3s but did everything else at least as well as any other C to ever play. He was so fun to watch with his assortment of fakes & drop steps. Just as dominant defensively too. There’s never been a more skilled big man, IMO. I wish Jordan had been around in 94 & 95 to play Olajuwon’s Rockets in the Finals. Chicago had no answer for him.
The bulls would not have won 8 in a row. Hakeem gets at least one of those, and maybe both even with Chicago. It may have even lead to Utah getting a title in 97 or 98 had he not retired

Reactions: JHannibalSmith

Of the most realistic targets I had at 12, Hakeem was at the top of the list. I figured Kareem, WIlt and Russell would be taken within the first 11 picks. So I definitely wanted someone who could bang with and neutralize them. Nobody fit that bill for me better than Hakeem. I know Shaq was still young, but Hakeem took it to him in the 1995 Finals. That was after he took a couple other of the greatest centers of both that time and of all-time to school before seeing Shaq in '95, and then the year before in '94 (don't want to namedrop, so I won't). His spin moves and footwork were a work of art along with those fakes and drop steps. As I stated above, he's the only guy in NBA history with 3000 blocks and 2000 steals. So I know I'm getting an all-around .

I was wrong about Russell being picked, which really surprised me. Thought someone would take him in the top 10 just for his defensive prowess, his leadership and winning mentality. But with him on the board, that value was too good to pass up. Plus I chose to represent the C's, so it wouldn't have felt right for me not to take him. I figured have some choice of guys like Curry, Durant, Oscar, Hakeem and maybe Tim Duncan with Dr. J, Malone and others sort of on that second tier of guys under consideration for me. When Curry, Durant and Oscar were picked, I adjusted my strategy and decided to double up on two dominant defensive big guys who I know I can interchange at power forward and center. Since Bill Russell was maybe the best teammate in NBA history, it'll make that strategy so much easier for me.

IMO. I wish Jordan had been around in 94 & 95 to play Olajuwon’s Rockets in the Finals. Chicago had no answer for him.

As for this, a couple of ex-Rockets from those teams (not Hakeem) have said the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls in 94 and 95 had Michael not decided to try his luck with baseball. I don't know about that, but I do like the confidence and it does make for good discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT