ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin kills someone on movie set

There were some odd takes right afterward like Baldwin wanted to actually kill the woman or he must've been waving the gun around as if he were Billy the Kid. Guy may be a complete dumbass, but I doubt old ass Alec Baldwin was running around like a cartoon character yelling "bang bang" at people and the gun went off. The truth is more likely he thinks he's an expert in all things filmmaking and was rushing around since he was acting, producing, and doing who knows what else on the set. Corners were cut, complaints already made, and he acted irresponsibly and took someone's life. To even continue the movie shows how out of touch he is, but that's also Hollywood. The Crow was pieced together after Lee's death, as was Poltergeist III after Heather O'Rourke had passed. The director, who was still heartbroken over O'Rourke's death, was told to either finish it or someone else will. Hell, The Twilight Zone movie was still released after three were killed on the set (director John Landis was eventually acquitted).

The idea that an actor (non expert) would check to see if a prop gun had live rounds seems like a stretch to me. The armorer (expert) should have never allowed live rounds in the gun to begin with. I get the importance of gun protocols but the producers and armorer should have made sure that everything was safe.

Reactions: LOL_Man
Him being an actor doesn't matter with gun safety. Give him some leeway because others failed too but gun safety is gun safety. That's why they have protocols to follow.

The idea that an actor (non expert) would check to see if a prop gun had live rounds seems like a stretch to me. The armorer (expert) should have never allowed live rounds in the gun to begin with. I get the importance of gun protocols but the producers and armorer should have made sure that everything was safe.
He gets to disregard safety protocols that would have taken mere seconds and are part of his unions safety protocols because he is a VIP? How active he was will come out in a trial, but he is listed as a producer and there had been prior safety issues on set that were disregarded.

He gets to disregard safety protocols that would have taken mere seconds and are part of his unions safety protocols because he is a VIP? How active he was will come out in a trial, but he is listed as a producer and there had been prior safety issues on set that were disregarded.

Not because he was a VIP. Because it was someone else’s responsibility. There should have never been live rounds anywhere on set. Him being a producer does complicate it but usually that is strictly for residual compensation and not like he’s out running for coffee and shit like that.

You all think every actor on every war or action movie set checks to see if their prop guns have live rounds every time? Seriously?

One more question, then I give up. You win. Why do the actor's unions have safety regs for actors if they don't need to use them?

Him being a producer does complicate it but usually that is strictly for residual compensation and not like he’s out running for coffee and shit like that.
This was a small budget picture. Baldwin was the guy to make those decisions.

-Mr. Svetnoy said in the lawsuit that the movie’s producers had “declined requests for weapons training days, failed to allow proper time to prepare for gunfire, failed to send out safety bulletins with call sheets, spread staff too thin, failed to ensure that industry safety standards were strictly observed when preparing and filming with firearms and engaged in other cost-cutting moves.”

-Independent film productions that cost more than a few million dollars often carry two forms of insurance in case something goes wrong. Forgoing full coverage, Hollywood veterans say, is less a sign of optimism than corner cutting.

-Camera crew walked off job to protest safety concerns on Alec Baldwin movie. Seven camera crew members working on the film “Rust” walked off the set to protest a myriad of issues ---------several hours before---------actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot and killed a cinematographer

-Baldwin had the armorer pulling double duty as a prop assistant.

Do you see a pattern here?

This was a small budget picture. Baldwin was the guy to make those decisions.

-Mr. Svetnoy said in the lawsuit that the movie’s producers had “declined requests for weapons training days, failed to allow proper time to prepare for gunfire, failed to send out safety bulletins with call sheets, spread staff too thin, failed to ensure that industry safety standards were strictly observed when preparing and filming with firearms and engaged in other cost-cutting moves.”

-Independent film productions that cost more than a few million dollars often carry two forms of insurance in case something goes wrong. Forgoing full coverage, Hollywood veterans say, is less a sign of optimism than corner cutting.

-Camera crew walked off job to protest safety concerns on Alec Baldwin movie. Seven camera crew members working on the film “Rust” walked off the set to protest a myriad of issues ---------several hours before---------actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot and killed a cinematographer

-Baldwin had the armorer pulling double duty as a prop assistant.

Do you see a pattern here?

I do. Sounds like a total shitshow. You brought facts not conjecture. Thanks.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
You all think every actor on every war or action movie set checks to see if their prop guns have live rounds every time? Seriously?

Certainly not, which is a major issue. A culture of disregard when it comes to safety measures will always create an environment where it’s only a “matter of time” before disaster strikes.

As with my job, almost all rules and protocols are written in blood. When people start disregarding operating procedures to do it “their way”, no one gives a sh!t…until disaster strikes. Then the procedural disregard gets a giant spot light and it becomes clear why those rules existed in the first place.

Reactions: chroix
Certainly not, which is a major issue. A culture of disregard when it comes to safety measures will always create an environment where it’s only a “matter of time” before disaster strikes.

As with my job, almost all rules and protocols are written in blood. When people start disregarding operating procedures to do it “their way”, no one gives a sh!t…until disaster strikes. Then the procedural disregard gets a giant spot light and it becomes clear why those rules existed in the first place.

Yep. I’m not a big believer in accidents. Usually just somebody being dumb.

I’ll also take back what I said about Baldwin suing. If what @BigBlueDave stared holds up Baldwin is looking at time or at least paying a hefty settlement. Whatever the case they clearly were not taking the firearms seriously enough.

Hop on over to YouTube and listen to Francis Ford Coppola talk about the filming of Apocalypse Now or virtually any other director or producer talk about making a movie. It is barely controlled chaos. Herding cats.

You have to have an armorer ensuring nothing dangerous is handed to a dumb actor or anyone else. Everything that comes onto the set should be safe before it is anywhere near an actor. Imagine telling Marlon Brando to make sure the gun in his hand was safe before he pointed it at someone. Ludicrous.

So you can have the naive nerd view that is completely unrealistic or you can understand everybody has a job to do on a film set and if somebody fails to do their job then things happen and sometimes those things get somebody killed if you have an incredibly criminally negligent armorer handing somebody a loaded gun.

Hop on over to YouTube and listen to Francis Ford Coppola talk about the filming of Apocalypse Now or virtually any other director or producer talk about making a movie. It is barely controlled chaos. Herding cats.

You have to have an armorer ensuring nothing dangerous is handed to a dumb actor or anyone else. Everything that comes onto the set should be safe before it is anywhere near an actor. Imagine telling Marlon Brando to make sure the gun in his hand was safe before he pointed it at someone. Ludicrous.

So you can have the naive nerd view that is completely unrealistic or you can understand everybody has a job to do on a film set and if somebody fails to do their job then things happen and sometimes those things get somebody killed if you have an incredibly criminally negligent armorer handing somebody a loaded gun.

That’s true but if the producers are creating an unsafe environment they bear responsibility as well. The camera crew walking off because they felt unsafe hours beforehand pretty damning.

That’s true but if the producers are creating an unsafe environment they bear responsibility as well. The camera crew walking off because they felt unsafe hours beforehand pretty damning.
That's woke nonsense. Every movie set is complete chaos. Too many egos and too much money at stake.

Imagine before filming a scene in John Wick 4 you had to have ever actor check their weapons before every scene. You think Keanu Reeves is depending on some extra to make sure the gun they are pointing at him is safe?

You have to have everything that comes on set to be safe. Every stunt has to be safe. Every prop. Every gun. Every explosion. So many working pieces to cobble together. Each one has to be tightly controlled by the experts involved, not the people that spent two years trying to mimic flower pots in acting school.

Oh, we killed 5 people because Keanu didn't check how many sticks of dynamite was in that keg and the producer didn't measure the blast range. Our explosives expert is in the Bahamas, though. He's in the clear.

• Haha
I think the wheels were falling off that day. Money was tight and there was that mini mutiny.

That Mr. Svetnoy I quoted was a gaffer. He held her as she died. He also stated that the gun wasn’t even to be fired in the scene.

Baldwin was being negligent and should suffer the same consequences of manslaughter that you or I would face.

The civil stuff will work it’s way out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT