ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama gonna make a push for Marshall

StillBlue83

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 12, 2009
"The sources said Alabama's administration is determined, one way or another, to make a big hire to replace Anthony Grant in response to Auburn employing Bruce Pearl last March, and Marshall is essentially alone atop the wish-list. Alabama cannot offer Marshall great basketball tradition, school officials understand. But one source said they plan to pitch "piles of money, an athletic department with a culture of winning and every resource he needs to compete with anybody on a national level." It's possible football coach Nick Saban could eventually be involved in what would amount to a high-profile recruitment."

Marshall said in an article that money will not make him move, but maybe if they can convince him that Bama is serious about bball they can get him.

Article

roll.r191677.gif

Not saying that Gregg Marshall won't leave Wichita St., but he sure as hell isn't going to leave for Alabama basketball. It would take a ridiculous sum of money that they probably aren't willing to allocate to their basketball program.

Originally posted by MachineHead1:

Not saying that Gregg Marshall won't leave Wichita St., but he sure as hell isn't going to leave for Alabama basketball. It would take a ridiculous sum of money that they probably aren't willing to allocate to their basketball program.
Yea I don't think it is likely, but it is nice to see the SEC schools putting some attention on bball.

Swing for the fences, I guess, but I can't see Marshall leaving for anything but a top 10-12 job.

Dumb. Marshall isn't going to a football school like Bama. He's had more success at a MVC school than Alabama ever has.

the other side of the coin is - no matter how much money you pay the guy , will he be successful at Bama?

Certainly your chances improve with a winning coach but I think for any program to be successful, they need to address how committed they are to it. Getting a good coach is step 1. But if its the only step, he is going to fail.

This post was edited on 3/23 1:13 PM by TankedCat

Originally posted by HeismanWildcat85:
Dumb. Marshall isn't going to a football school like Bama. He's had more success at a MVC school than Alabama ever has.
Yep. IU maybe. UNC if Roy leaves.

So Marshall is making $1.75MM at Wichita. And has job stability even if he has an off year or 2. It would take double that for him to leave for Tuscaloosa.

Hell, if he stays at Wichita for another 10-15 years until he retires and makes one more Final 4 and a few Elite 8s they will probably name the arena after him.

Originally posted by ukfan79:

So Marshall is making $1.75MM at Wichita. And has job stability even if he has an off year or 2. It would take double that for him to leave for Tuscaloosa.

Hell, if he stays at Wichita for another 10-15 years until he retires and makes one more Final 4 and a few Elite 8s they will probably name the arena after him.
"Alabama officials are prepared to present an offer in excess of $3 million per year in an attempt to lure Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall to Tuscaloosa"

Not sure why you guys are so negative on this, I can definitely see it happening. HEre's why:

Follow the Billy Donovan model. You can have a high quality of life, with a little less pressure, make a ton of money, and still have an opportunity to compete at the highest level.

Will you always be second fiddle to football? Sure. But, unlike Florida, Alabama fans will actually show up in huge numbers for basketball (anytime January 1st or after). There is also a winning tradition there (probably the best tradition in the SEC, outside of KY, FLA, Arkansas and in the mix with Mizzou and Tennessee).

Bama has shown that they are willing to pay. I've heard they're willing to pay $4MM for the right guy. That's serious money. Even other SEC schools that consider themselves to be serious basketball schools (e.g. UT) are willing to pay that kind of money.

A lot of people on this board gripe about the SEC not supporting basketball; now there is a shot that another school is going to step up, and you poo poo it.

Steve Prohm...

Graduated from Alabama while being a student assistant coach there. Had multiple great years at MSU. I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least end up on the short list.

It would take an elite level job or a program with a history of success to pry Marshall away from Wichita St. Think Mark Few and Gonzaga. Few's had plenty of opportunities to leave, but why would he? He can win and recruit at a high level and he has absolutely ZERO pressure to win while going to the NCAA-T each and ever season.

Marshall has Wichita St. poised to mirror what Gonzaga has done over the last 10-15 years, and I think he's very happy there.

As a Bama fan, this makes me extremely excited to see the athletic department going big like this. He may say no, but it won't be because he wasn't offered anything he basically wants. This is the type of commitment I want.

Another thing, Saban has always said he wanted a very good basketball program to go along with a very good football program because it helps recruiting and vice versa. I think for sure Saban will be involved in trying to lure Marshall.

I think having the SEC Network could pay off as well. It means more exposure.

This post was edited on 3/23 1:28 PM by acp_10

I think alabama doesnt have a chance, but I think marshall may leave. Isn't WSU losing their whole team after this yr?

Originally posted by MachineHead1:

I agree.

That would be a lateral move at best for Marshall...he's have far more attractive options at schools where there is a legit commitment to win.

Get Nick Saban involved
smile.r191677.gif
?

Bruce Pearl is gonna own that rivalry. At least his hiring reminded Alabama that they field a basketball program.

GBB!!!

I know his name pops up for every crap team with a opening in a power conference, but why in the world would he leave to go to Bama? If I remember correctly he already gets paid very well at Witch St and don't they already have their own private jet for recruiting? I mean why would a coach as competitive as Marshall go to a place that cares nothing about bball?

Archie Miller won't be at UD much longer. I don't see Marshall at Bama but it's possible. If he could get the two best players from Bama every year he would have a great program.

IU and UNC fall into the category of poisoned chalices especially if UNC gets torpedoed by the NCAA. No one has been able to establish a consistently high level program at IU since Knight left town. They are now in the second rank of programs in the big 10.

No offense to Bama but they're in the same boat as UK football hiring a head coach. Will attract big names because of the University name but actually getting a big name is a whole different ball game. I think Marshall will eventually go to a blue blood such as UK, Duke or IU. Where he will get paid closer to 4-5 million/ year. What he's done at WSU is pretty special so if he leaves it will be a big payday...

Originally posted by CatPhight:
That would be a lateral move at best for Marshall...he's have far more attractive options at schools where there is a legit commitment to win.
If a lateral move allows you to double or more your salary...there are a lot of folks who would take that all day long. Bama prints money and can pay as much or more than anyone.
Those who say he would only leave for a top level job...Marshall begged for the Tennessee job a few years ago when they hired Martin. If he would take Tennessee, he would certainly consider taking Alabama.

Originally posted by StillBlue83:
"The sources said Alabama's administration is determined, one way or another, to make a big hire to replace Anthony Grant in response to Auburn employing Bruce Pearl last March, and Marshall is essentially alone atop the wish-list. Alabama cannot offer Marshall great basketball tradition, school officials understand. But one source said they plan to pitch "piles of money, an athletic department with a culture of winning and every resource he needs to compete with anybody on a national level." It's possible football coach Nick Saban could eventually be involved in what would amount to a high-profile recruitment."

Marshall said in an article that money will not make him move, but maybe if they can convince him that Bama is serious about bball they can get him.
This can't be true. Bama is after Crean and IU is after Billy D.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by fuzz77:

If a lateral move allows you to double or more your salary...there are a lot of folks who would take that all day long. Bama prints money and can pay as much or more than anyone.
Those who say he would only leave for a top level job...Marshall begged for the Tennessee job a few years ago when they hired Martin. If he would take Tennessee, he would certainly consider taking Alabama.
Bama prints football money.

I don't think it's as crazy as some do. It wasn't that many years ago Bama made a couple of E8's. Marshal has shown that he can win without elite recruits that he coaches up. He will get better recruits at Bama. I'm not saying it will happen, but I don't think it is crazy either.

Football makes the money...btw, UK football makes more than UK basketball too.

Bama has over $100 million in cash reserves (UK has $22 million)...they can't spend everything they earn with football and their athletic revenues are $37 million greater than their expenses...and that's all before the SEC Network revenues start rolling in...UK's revenues are $400K more than expenses.

Have you ever been to Wichita? I have. Alabama is a much nicer place to live, especially climate wise. Now that's just a tiny thing but possibly a factor. I would think he could get better recruits at Bama, but he would be taking a risk with a HUGE uptick in conference competition. I think he's a solid coach who will be successful where ever he goes. The question, other than money, is just how competitive is he? The pressure will be bumped up considerably with a Major conference job.

Good hire for the SEC if it happens. IF I were him, I'd look at it this way: a chance to prove myself and maybe have a shot at UK, if Cal leaves after a few more years.

Just from reading his mindset, the success they've had--it would have to be a big time job.
Simply being in a power conference doesn't make it a step up for a lot of these guys. Shaka turned down Illinois.

I think he'll have his pick of a lot of jobs this season. IU's timing with Crean should set them up to get him. As much as we hate on them, IU is still a program with a lot of history, and Marshall could do a lot to make them relevant.

Marshall in no Hurry

Football makes the money...btw, UK football makes more than UK basketball too.

Bama has over $100 million in cash reserves (UK has $22 million)...they can't spend everything they earn with football and their athletic revenues are $37 million greater than their expenses...and that's all before the SEC Network revenues start rolling in...UK's revenues are $400K more than expenses.
Really? Maybe one day they'll invest back in something other than football.

Captain%20Obvious%20HotelsCom.jpg

Wait a minute. Howland to State. Alabama wants Marshall. Has Mizzou not fired Kim Anderson? After the year they had? Mizzou has better basketball tradition than either Bama or MSU. Is that job not open?

if he goes to alabama, maybe nick will let him use his lakehouse mansion in georgia every now and then.

Archie Miller won't be at UD much longer. I don't see Marshall at Bama but it's possible. If he could get the two best players from Bama every year he would have a great program.

He's certainly in a position where he can write his own ticket. I think he can do better than Bama.

As mentioned on Finebaum the Koch brothers are huge WSU fans and supporters. WSU plays their home games in the Charles Koch Arena. They can match anything Alabama has to offer in incentives for Marshall. He might eventually leave for a big time position such as UK, Duke, Kansas. But it won't be for the Tide.

Wichita State Basketball is THE sport at that school. They don't even have a football team. Marshall has a good gig there. Great support, easy schedule, good pay, plus, he's built his program to where it gets national respect. I would be very surprised if he left for a football school, regardless of how much more money.

If Marshall wants to kill his coaching career and end up as an assistant somewhere after he is fired, then he should definitely take the Alabama HC position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT