ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama gonna make a push for Marshall

Not sure if anyone has mentioned that Marshall appears as most great coaches do to have a sizable ego. He wants to be somewhere where he is the main act in town. As he is now at Wichita and Cal is here at UK. Therefore it is highly unlikely he would leave for Alabama. Texas perhaps simply because of how much raw talent the state produces and the resources the Long Horn Network provides for that program. But most likely he would leave for Indiana when that seat opens this year or next. It is really great to see other SEC schools take basketball seriously for the first time in a long time. Just one more thing to thank Bruce Pearl for haha

Ala has the largest athletic finanancial reserve in the Sec. If interested could offer nasty money. Ego wont let Pearl make them his bitch

Originally posted by Lightbringer123:
No offense to Bama but they're in the same boat as UK football hiring a head coach. Will attract big names because of the University name but actually getting a big name is a whole different ball game. I think Marshall will eventually go to a blue blood such as UK, Duke or IU. Where he will get paid closer to 4-5 million/ year. What he's done at WSU is pretty special so if he leaves it will be a big payday...
FAlsE

I would think as knowledgeable as kentucky fans are supposed to be, it would have been mentioned that alabama basketball has the 2nd most conference success in the SEC.

Now I know Florida won 2 championships but I'm talking strictly conference success.

Someone posted a very nice interview piece with him last week. What I got out of it suggest he wouldn't go to Alabama. He's happy where he is. He's getting paid 2 mil a year, is well loved, not under a lot of pressure, he and the team fly around on charter flights, etc. He seem to me to indicate the kind of job that might get him would be a proven program in college basketball. Like say UNC if Roy goes, Duke, or even yes UK if it came open. I'm sure IU would love to get him, only they'd have to get rid of you know who first. I'm skeptical he'd to go Alabama where basketball always has, and always will play 2nd fiddle to football. Like you said, maybe. Stranger things have happened.

Bama's best route may be doing what Miss State did...go after someone who is a tad bit older and looking for their last stop...

Young guns hoping to make a career and get to a final 4 are not going to Bama to fight tooth n nail against the establishment for the spare change that fell from Saban's pocket and into his sofa...

Or maybe someone who has been a career assistant...the right hand man of a top tier coach at a basketball school....

No way Marshall is going anywhere other then to a Blue Blooded program. I mean Alabama doesn't even have a midnight Madness cause none of the fans want to go.

A little surprised at the negativity, but I think Alabama has a shot at Marshall. Maybe a long shot, but a shot.

One note is that WS only loses one senior so that's a negative to the UA chances.

However, UA does have money and they have shown that they DO have a championship atmosphere with national championships in softball, golf and gymnastics just in the last few years.

I think Alabama has also shown that they will give a coach time since they gave Grant six years.

Finally, Bill Battle would love to leave a legacy of helping to tournament around that program.

It's gonna be interesting.

Bamafan, it's not negativity. Just a reasonable assessment of reality, IMO. I hope you guys get a great coach and develop an excellent BB program.

Originally posted by UKBrassowTipIN:
I think alabama doesnt have a chance, but I think marshall may leave. Isn't WSU losing their whole team after this yr?
They lose Cotton and Carter but return Van Vleet, Baker, and Wessel.

With the talent in that state he would have that program rocking in 2 years. I think it's a win for both parties involved

It is kinda like Finebaum said today, and I paraphrase, they would love him until he accidentally parked in Saban spot for a few seconds.

Alabama might get Marshall. But frankly, if Grant couldn't get it done, I can't see Marshall doing much better.

And I don't see bama as being a step up job; especially if you want to keep on stepping up after Bama.

Someone else said it best, get someone like Ben Howland, Larry Brown, or Steve Fisher.

Originally posted by WildcatFan60:
Alabama might get Marshall. But frankly, if Grant couldn't get it done, I can't see Marshall doing much better.

And I don't see bama as being a step up job; especially if you want to keep on stepping up after Bama.

Someone else said it best, get someone like Ben Howland, Larry Brown, or Steve Fisher.
I see your point and understand what you are saying but the last two coaches are 70 or so.......

I think if Marshall waits one more year, he'll have his choice of a couple jobs easily more attractive. Not the least of which will be IU. He's building his resume with all these Sweet 16 berths. That will pay off big for him very soon. But. taking the Bama job is not the way to go if he wants to coach at a blueblood program.
I can't believe Texas isn't after Marshall. They have the fanbase and literally tons of money. But, maybe they're happy with mediocrity?

Originally posted by WildcatFan60:

I disagree. Look how many close games we lost this year. We would always get close, but we could never finish under Grant. That's coaching. And Grant and Marshall are nowhere in the same stratosphere as far as coaching abilities go. I tend to believe Marshall could bring the ability to coach these guys up to be able to finish these games.

Heck, we had Wichita State beat on their on home court this season. We were up like something like 11 points with about 5 minutes in the game and guess what happened? We didn't score another point the rest of the game. Heck, we couldn't even get it over half court for like 3 minutes. That was just typical Grant coached team.

Grant's downfall was his inability to keep players around (Trevor Lacey, Tony Mitchell, etc) which did lead to shorthanded rosters and his offensive (that was offensive) coaching which mostly consisted of running down the shot clock and throwing up prayers. Heck, we've lost so many players over the years due to transfers that it's baffling. I don't blame the players though. They didn't want to play in that crappy system.

Marshall is not going to play 2nd fiddle to a football school. There are bigger basketball schools out there for him.

Originally posted by westerncat:

Marshall is not going to play 2nd fiddle to a football school. There are bigger basketball schools out there for him.
Alabama has a huge ego issue when it comes to Auburn. They see Auburn caring about basketball, it could be a domino effect. I could easily see Alabama offering him hella cash, years, and control/guarantees just to try and steal some mojo from Auburn. They've got the money to do it.

Wildcats60....

Gotta disagree completely with that, respectfully of course.

Marshal is a much, much better hire than the mythical Ben Howland right now. Alabama doesn't need Howland, as I believe he would be fired in 4 years. Howland is also an adidas guy. To me, It does matter, even though I know some people question it's importance. Larry Brown would be an awful hire, as they would have no stability, and need another coach in a couple of years. Steve Fisher is the same. He's on his way out.

If Alabama can get Marshal they better throw the money and take him if they want to compete with Pearl. He's the only real candidate IO think they could probably steal if the money and guarantees were right. Alabama will have to fight to get him though, and are they willing to do that?

This post was edited on 3/23 11:56 PM by .S&C.

Originally posted by StillBlue83:
"The sources said Alabama's administration is determined, one way or another, to make a big hire to replace Anthony Grant in response to Auburn employing Bruce Pearl last March, and Marshall is essentially alone atop the wish-list. Alabama cannot offer Marshall great basketball tradition, school officials understand. But one source said they plan to pitch "piles of money, an athletic department with a culture of winning and every resource he needs to compete with anybody on a national level." It's possible football coach Nick Saban could eventually be involved in what would amount to a high-profile recruitment."

Marshall said in an article that money will not make him move, but maybe if they can convince him that Bama is serious about bball they can get him.
Marshall would be making a major mistake to accept a job as second tier sport in Alabama. Pearl will be at Auburn maybe two more years, at best. His ego is too strong and he is getting too old to pass up a better coaching position if it is offered and it will be offered.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Wildcats60....

Marshal is a much, much better hire than the mythical Ben Howland right now. Alabama doesn't need Howland, as I believe he would be fired in 4 years. Howland is also an adidas guy. To me, It does matter, even though I know some people question it's importance. Larry Brown would be an awful hire, as they would have no stability, and need another coach in a couple of years. Steve Fisher is the same. He's on his way out.

If Alabama can get Marshal they better throw the money and take him if they want to compete with Pearl. He's the only real candidate IO think they could probably steal if the money and guarantees were right. Alabama will have to fight to get him though, and are they willing to do that?

Word is we're gonna pitch to him he can have anything he wants to have a successful program. Money, resources, etc. Basically going all out. If he says no, it won't be because there's no commitment. They're really trying to push hard for him.

As a fan, it makes me happy to see this (even if we don't land him as well).

Originally posted by Kampus Korner:

"The sources said Alabama's administration is determined, one way or another, to make a big hire to replace Anthony Grant in response to Auburn employing Bruce Pearl last March, and Marshall is essentially alone atop the wish-list. Alabama cannot offer Marshall great basketball tradition, school officials understand. But one source said they plan to pitch "piles of money, an athletic department with a culture of winning and every resource he needs to compete with anybody on a national level." It's possible football coach Nick Saban could eventually be involved in what would amount to a high-profile recruitment."

Marshall said in an article that money will not make him move, but maybe if they can convince him that Bama is serious about bball they can get him.
Marshall would be making a major mistake to accept a job as second tier sport in Alabama. Pearl will be at Auburn maybe two more years, at best. His ego is too strong and he is getting too old to pass up a better coaching position if it is offered and it will be offered.
I don't see there's any way Bruce Pearl gets a call to a prestigious program, unless it's one that really really needs to win in some form(Pearls success is somewhat overblown however). It would need to be some sort of dying program, like an Indiana, and I'm not sure I see that anyway. Pearl has a terrible rep with people in the business, and thats evident by the fact that the best job he's ever been offered was Tennessee, then he was caught being a POS yet again.

I think the best Pearl could do is a school like Illinios, and thats a ways away.

Originally posted by acp_10:
Wildcats60....

Word is we're gonna pitch to him he can have anything he wants to have a successful program. Money, resources, etc. Basically going all out. If he says no, it won't be because there's no commitment. They're really trying to push hard for him.

People tend to overstate this "second fiddle" nonsense. Power 5 schools are what coaches want, because that is the only secure bet moving forward. Alabama, because of the conference adjustments(that aren't finished), is a very desirable job now. I know some have an issue seeing this, but more and more you will see coaches leaving for lots of different power 5 programs.

On top of that, Alabama has a HUGE fan base that a coach like Greg Marshal could rally up. He's a very enthusiastic guy, Like pearl in some ways. Alabama committing to basketball would fill that arena every football offseason, especially if there's top 25 teams playing.

If Alabama is willing to offer the house, I hope Marshal would take that. Billy Donovan has made an incredible job for himself, and doesn't seem to care that he's not at a basketball school. He's power 5, he's safe. That's all that matters, unless an Indiana or the like says hold on. Even then, Alabama and anything I want, to me, is better than Indiana and short leash. But these guys have egos, so, ya know.

Hope it's true and you guys offer the house. Pearl vs. Marshal would be pretty cool to watch over the years.

This post was edited on 3/24 12:14 AM by .S&C.

I don't see there's any way Bruce Pearl gets a call to a prestigious program, unless it's one that really really needs to win in some form(Pearls success is somewhat overblown however). It would need to be some sort of dying program, like an Indiana, and I'm not sure I see that anyway. Pearl has a terrible rep with people in the business, and thats evident by the fact that the best job he's ever been offered was Tennessee, then he was caught being a POS yet again.

I think the best Pearl could do is a school like Illinios, and thats a ways away.
Of course, only time will tell with Pearl but I think you underestimate his pubic appeal. Clearly, ESPN finds him to be quite credible. He was a prime time star for them the last couple of years and even now, that he is Auburn's coach he is being highlighted as a coaching expert during the NCAA tournament. Such high profile role on a major network will help mitigate the mistake he made at UT. He knows he will have to be extra judicious at the next coaching position because he will get no more second chances..I can certainly see a top tier school going after him. He has served his banishment. He has redeemed himself in the eyes of the public. Moreover, Pearl is viewed as an excellent charismatic coach who has proven to be successful. Thus, I think he gets the offer he really wants within 2 years. As I said, time will tell.

Of course, only time will tell with Pearl but I think you underestimate his pubic appeal. Clearly, ESPN finds him to be quite credible. He was a prime time star for them the last couple of years and even now, that he is Auburn's coach he is being highlighted as a coaching expert during the NCAA tournament. Such high profile role on a major network will help mitigate the mistake he made at UT. He knows he will have to be extra judicious at the next coaching position because he will get no more second chances..I can certainly see a top tier school going after him. He has served his banishment. He has redeemed himself in the eyes of the public. Moreover, Pearl is viewed as an excellent charismatic coach who has proven to be successful. Thus, I think he gets the offer he really wants within 2 years. As I said, time will tell.
We will see, but Pearl is already on his third chance basically. His transgressions didn't start and end at Tennessee, and he's a very difficult hire because of it. Public opinion varies, and isn't the overall deciding factor in hiring decisions. Most people aren't aware of some of Pearls issues anyway, they simply understate it and point to a "BBQ" which is just ignorant. This man is a pathological liar, as evident by his own record. It's not the type of guy that an AD wants his job security relying on. All of this is backed up by the fact that Pearl has never coached past a school like Auburn or Tennessee, and he's past 50. That's not a coincidence.

I personally don't have a problem with him at a school in the SEC. He will make them competitive, but I think it's about the best a man with his total record can achieve.

I've always thought Bruce Pearl would be perfect at UNLV. Not because of Tark and his run ins with the NCAA but, because of Pearl's personality and the whole bigger than life mystique of Las Vegas. They would go together perfectly.
Previous poster is right, Pearl won't be at Auburn for more than a couple more years if he starts winning on the Plains.

Originally posted by acp_10:
Wildcats60....

People tend to overstate this "second fiddle" nonsense. Power 5 schools are what coaches want, because that is the only secure bet moving forward. Alabama, because of the conference adjustments(that aren't finished), is a very desirable job now. I know some have an issue seeing this, but more and more you will see coaches leaving for lots of different power 5 programs.

On top of that, Alabama has a HUGE fan base that a coach like Greg Marshal could rally up. He's a very enthusiastic guy, Like pearl in some ways. Alabama committing to basketball would fill that arena every football offseason, especially if there's top 25 teams playing.

If Alabama is willing to offer the house, I hope Marshal would take that. Billy Donovan has made an incredible job for himself, and doesn't seem to care that he's not at a basketball school. He's power 5, he's safe. That's all that matters, unless an Indiana or the like says hold on. Even then, Alabama and anything I want, to me, is better than Indiana and short leash. But these guys have egos, so, ya know.

Hope it's true and you guys offer the house. Pearl vs. Marshal would be pretty cool to watch over the years.

This post was edited on 3/24 12:14 AM by .S&C.
I agree with basically everything you said. I guess the second fiddle thing is just a cliche thing to say. I have no doubt he would excite the fanbase and the fans would come out.

Heck, you gotta start somewhere, ya know. What was Florida before Donovan?

I'm hoping one day that we can see that Marshall (Bama) vs. Pearl (Auburn) thing
3dgrin.r191677.gif
. If both are winning, I really believe they could start something in this state that has never been seen before.

If Bama does get Marshall, that would make the SEC West pretty loaded coach wise. Marshall, Howland and Pearl are all very good coaches.

Alabama absolutely should offer whatever he wants, but I think it would be terribly stupid for him to make that move. There's no reason to have to go build, demand, negotiate, improve, and change the culture when you could make the same money at a traditional power.

He will absolutely have his choice of jobs, and those big time schools can all pay him 3-4 million a year with bonuses added on. Why would you leave for Alabama? Take a look around and take either the Texas or Indiana jobs if they're open, or make another good postseason run next year with Vanfleet and Baker returning, then bolt for the big job.

I mean, Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech and they were going to be serious about hoops in a big conference and all that jazz, and it's killed his name. No idea why you'd volunteer yourself to be stuck somewhere like that. Those jobs are for top-notch assistants looking to prove themselves, not top-notch coaches that already have.

Originally posted by CatPhight:
Originally posted by TNCatfanforever:
Word is they will offer 4 million a year
But how much will they invest in assistant coaches and program infrastructure?
As much as he wants according to BamaOnline. He'll have damn near unlimited resources to work with. They're gonna give him full control over the program kind of like they did when we hired Saban for football.

Originally posted by GonzoCat90:

Alabama absolutely should offer whatever he wants, but I think it would be terribly stupid for him to make that move. There's no reason to have to go build, demand, negotiate, improve, and change the culture when you could make the same money at a traditional power.

He will absolutely have his choice of jobs, and those big time schools can all pay him 3-4 million a year with bonuses added on. Why would you leave for Alabama? Take a look around and take either the Texas or Indiana jobs if they're open, or make another good postseason run next year with Vanfleet and Baker returning, then bolt for the big job.

I mean, Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech and they were going to be serious about hoops in a big conference and all that jazz, and it's killed his name. No idea why you'd volunteer yourself to be stuck somewhere like that. Those jobs are for top-notch assistants looking to prove themselves, not top-notch coaches that already have.
You leave for Alabama because it's the best offer on the table today. Nothing is to stop anyone from coming after him next year or the year after. Yeah, we know that everyone here would turn their back on being able to double their salary and have likely $20+ million in guaranteed income.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

What's the worst case scenario??? You get fired after taking $20 million of Bama's money???? Cry me a frickin river!

ADVERTISEMENT