ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama C Tanner Bowles enters transfer portal

Me either, I think Stoops is making his best effort to settle that position group down. He's made a couple of comments lately that suggest he doesn't lay this at Yenser's feet.
Kind of getting that too. I just think if Stoops was making a change there he would have by now. And it very well could be the entire O scheme could've handcuffed the OL. Still, I can't imagine NOT playing your backups, read Goodwin, Rodriquez, Young et al, any at all. Puzzling.

Agree. A redshirt Jr means he’s been there several years without cracking the lineup. I am all for adding depth but I wouldn’t classify this as a big get unless he is a long snapper.
most of Alabama's depth can start any where in America. Not saying this is true of Bowles, but teams like Bama get 5 stars routinely to commit and sit for two years before they get a chance, or longer in some cases, so I wouldn't dismiss the kid on the fact he couldnt start at Alabama

Reactions: mattrudd
Did he ever even get on the field for them? I've never seen him listed on their two deep. If he couldn't get any meaningful playing time on what is considered a terrible OL by Bama standards, I'm not sure how much help he would be to us.
I read he got about 60 snaps at 2-3 positions + special teams.

Is he better than the possible nine IOL we have on the roster? Obviously no way of knowing. He is not as big as most of them. If we get Keenum, we will have about three deep at the two guard positions and the center position. Unless someone leaves of course.

I don’t know how good or bad Yenser is, but in all honesty he didn’t have a lot of talent to work with this season! Jimmy’s and Joe’s matters, especially on the O-line!

I don’t know how good or bad Yenser is, but in all honesty he didn’t have a lot of talent to work with this season! Jimmy’s and Joe’s matters, especially on the O-line!
I respectfully disagree. Horsey was preseason All-SEC. Cox was a mid-season All-American last year. Manning was a part time starter at Auburn. Flax was the number one Juco. Burton turned down Bama, Clemson and OSU. Not to mention 5 star Goodwin couldn't get on the field nor could 4 stars Young or Buford until Flax was hurt and Buford looked better than Flax when he played. Not to mention Yenser rolled out Wohlabaugh early in the year when it was obvious to any casual fan that he was nowhere near ready to play.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Horsey was preseason All-SEC. Cox was a mid-season All-American last year. Manning was a part time starter at Auburn. Flax was the number one Juco. Burton turned down Bama, Clemson and OSU. Not to mention 5 star Goodwin couldn't get on the field nor could 4 stars Young or Buford until Flax was hurt and Buford looked better than Flax when he played. Not to mention Yenser rolled out Wohlabaugh early in the year when it wa sobvious to any casual fan that he is nowhere near ready to play.
Flax was not good the entire year!

It will be interesting to see where Bowles works at UK. He had 3 OL coaches at Bama, moved around to all positions and never specialized, and never made it into the rotation. It will be surprising if he starts at UK. Where does he provide depth?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It will be interesting to see where Bowles works at UK. He had 3 OL coaches at Bama, moved around to all positions and never specialized, and never made it into the rotation. It will be surprising if he starts at UK. Where does he provide depth?
I’m going to guess RG

I have hope that Bowles can win the C job and allow Cox to go back to G. Cox was average at C but showed a lot of promise at G. Seems unlikely though

Reactions: secrules3
I have hope that Bowles can win the C job and allow Cox to go back to G. Cox was average at C but showed a lot of promise at G. Seems unlikely though
Cox has quick feet and smarts needed to be a good center. There is a learning curve for that position. 2022 was his first crack at it. He missed some assignments that he will not miss this year.

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
Right, we were spoiled by Jackson/Fortner. Cox will learn and will be good with signee Keenum in the shadows.

And toth before them. Jager underperformed but they shuffled everything to make sure he stayed on the field. Will be interesting to see what happens

It'll be disappointing to the naysayers here but I expect Manning to be drafted.

Saw he got a combine invite. Pretty good indicator he's at least well on the radar

Right, we were spoiled by Jackson/Fortner. Cox will learn and will be good with signee Keenum in the shadows.
Drake Jackson was a very intelligent player who overachieved his physical traits. Fortner was the classic overachiever. When you stand next to Fortner, it is shocking how huge and sculpted he is. They were fantastic players. Cox is smart and hard working. Not worried about him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT