ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama C Tanner Bowles enters transfer portal

Former Glasgow Scottie standout, Tanner Bowles, has entered the portal. I have a source close to this one that says UK is the likely move barring something crazy happening. Would be a big get for Stoops.
Would it be a big get? He can at least snap the ball better than what we have been doing.

Former Glasgow Scottie standout, Tanner Bowles, has entered the portal. I have a source close to this one that says UK is the likely move barring something crazy happening. Would be a big get for Stoops.

Yeah. Saw that on another forum at 1pm or so. Could be

Did he ever even get on the field for them? I've never seen him listed on their two deep. If he couldn't get any meaningful playing time on what is considered a terrible OL by Bama standards, I'm not sure how much help he would be to us.

Reactions: K_TIME and catben
Did he ever even get on the field for them? I've never seen him listed on their two deep. If he couldn't get any meaningful playing time on what is considered a terrible OL by Bama standards, I'm not sure how much help he would be to us.
Agree. A redshirt Jr means he’s been there several years without cracking the lineup. I am all for adding depth but I wouldn’t classify this as a big get unless he is a long snapper.

Reactions: catben
I get what you are saying but he probably had All-American type players ahead of him
Does not mean he can't play
I have no idea if he can or not

Would it be a big get? He can at least snap the ball better than what we have been doing.
If Tanner Bowles is entering the transfer portal, it is logical to guess he will see an opportunity at UK. The opportunity is clearly there, but the firing of Scangarello and uncertainty around Yenser cloud the opportunity at least somewhat for now. We cannot necessarily assume the new UK OC, or a hypothetical new OL coach, will pick Bowles out of the portal as a plan A option. That would require evaluating film and comparing Bowles to other alternatives. Bowles was considered a hot prospect coming out of hs, but that was a while ago. He has not played very much in Tuscaloosa. For an SEC lineman, he is not overly big, which does not necessarily mean much. We could use another offensive lineman or two, but OT seems to be a bigger need than OG. Would think hanging onto Goodwin, Bingham, and Hall will be the first priority. I am neutral on Bowles until Stoops straightens out our coaching staff. It is probably not realistic to think a decision by UK will come before then, unless Yenser is staying. Under the circumstances, it is hard for me to believe Yenser will make it. But he hasn't been canned yet. It is possible Yenser will be kept around for the bowl game. It isn't like he has another Power 5 job waiting.

I have read he did play at four different positions: center, both guard spots and right tackle. ..and he was doing this for Alabama. That kind of versatility has a lot of value. Plus he has two years left.

Can he bring his OL coach with him?
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Cats need a C to shore up that middle. Could be really good because there is an outside shot Horsey comes back to play G and slide Cox over to the other G. That unit on paper looks really good.

Cats need a C to shore up that middle. Could be really good because there is an outside shot Horsey comes back to play G and slide Cox over to the other G. That unit on paper looks really good.
Stoops last call in show, he took issue with a caller suggesting we need a new Center. I wouldn't look for a change there, depth there maybe.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Sorry I like Burton but we was whipped/ whiffed on blocks multiple times a game throughout the year.
Whiffing is one thing. Lots of assignments have been missed this year by every player on the line. An offensive line works as a unit. When one blocking assignment is missed, it can have a domino effect and several linemen look bad on the play. This is why you need a solid offensive line coach. Our tackles and tight ends have missed a lot of blocking assignments. When it happens, the guards sometimes get left with two players to block and a millisecond to decide. I think Burton will be a good player, but he was forced into regular action one year too soon.

If Tanner Bowles is entering the transfer portal, it is logical to guess he will see an opportunity at UK. The opportunity is clearly there, but the firing of Scangarello and uncertainty around Yenser cloud the opportunity at least somewhat for now. We cannot necessarily assume the new UK OC, or a hypothetical new OL coach, will pick Bowles out of the portal as a plan A option. That would require evaluating film and comparing Bowles to other alternatives. Bowles was considered a hot prospect coming out of hs, but that was a while ago. He has not played very much in Tuscaloosa. For an SEC lineman, he is not overly big, which does not necessarily mean much. We could use another offensive lineman or two, but OT seems to be a bigger need than OG. Would think hanging onto Goodwin, Bingham, and Hall will be the first priority. I am neutral on Bowles until Stoops straightens out our coaching staff. It is probably not realistic to think a decision by UK will come before then, unless Yenser is staying. Under the circumstances, it is hard for me to believe Yenser will make it. But he hasn't been canned yet. It is possible Yenser will be kept around for the bowl game. It isn't like he has another Power 5 job waiting.
Dead on!

1. Bowles for a guy going into 4th year isn't a big Oline
2. I think we're fine a guard...if Horsey comes back...we are fine for sure. Burton needs to be get stronger, Horsey is fine as is, Cox can move to guard if we need and Buford might be a guard if we ever get a real Oline coach to figure out the rotation. Bingham is 100% percent a guard and he's got all the ability long term and maybe next yeat at guard.
3. I'd argue we need tackles way more than guards. The kid from Northern Illinois looks way better than what I imagine Bowles to be and he's in the portal now.

In the end, get rid of Yenser first and then let's start doing portal stuff is my main priority.

Dead on!

1. Bowles for a guy going into 4th year isn't a big Oline
2. I think we're fine a guard...if Horsey comes back...we are fine for sure. Burton needs to be get stronger, Horsey is fine as is, Cox can move to guard if we need and Buford might be a guard if we ever get a real Oline coach to figure out the rotation. Bingham is 100% percent a guard and he's got all the ability long term and maybe next yeat at guard.
3. I'd argue we need tackles way more than guards. The kid from Northern Illinois looks way better than what I imagine Bowles to be and he's in the portal now.

In the end, get rid of Yenser first and then let's start doing portal stuff is my main priority.
Looks to me Yenser has survived, if not what's the hold up replacing him?

ADVERTISEMENT