ADVERTISEMENT

***Aike’s Tourney Predictor - 01/02/23 Update***

Aike

All-American
Mar 18, 2002
Here’s my update through yesterday’s games.

Seeing pretty clear best 4: UCONN, Houston, Tennessee, Kansas.

As well as next 4: UCLA, Arkansas, Arizona, Virginia.

Pretty wide open when you get to that next tier, with teams like Rutgers, Missouri, St. Mary’s, Indiana making their case.

I continue to be intrigued by the mediocre performance of Purdue. Very curious to see how they hold up through conference play.

Here’s the update:

Aike’s Tourney Predictor

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I don't see Purdue as "mediocre"--when checking out their undefeated 13-0 schedule to date.

double digit and bigger wins against west VA, Gonzaga, and puke at neutral sites. A couple road wins, always tough to garner. EDEY is a force--22ppg and 13.6rpg. 63.4%fg and 72.6%ft. A fine "go to" player who has improved immensely.

Purdue is a very poor 3P making team at 30.5%.

Composite rankings has um about 6th.

Perhaps top 10 at worst--but not 24th.

I like your info.

rr

I don't see Purdue as "mediocre"--when checking out their undefeated 13-0 schedule to date.

double digit and bigger wins against west VA, Gonzaga, and puke at neutral sites. A couple road wins, always tough to garner. EDEY is a force--22ppg and 13.6rpg. 63.4%fg and 72.6%ft. A fine "go to" player who has improved immensely.

Purdue is a very poor 3P making team at 30.5%.

Composite rankings has um about 6th.

Perhaps top 10 at worst--but not 24th.

I like your info.

rr
I meant their mediocre performance in my model vs. their performance on the court.

I haven’t dug in much into why, but the shooting percentages you mention may be part of it.

I took a deeper look at Purdue. Great rebounding team. Run good offense.

Solid defensively but not very disruptive defensively. Hold teams to low percentages but don’t really block shots or steal the ball.

Not a great shooting team as Blue Woman pointed out.

Basically, they are a decent team but the kind of team that is susceptible to a second round upset. If they keep winning, they should have a high enough seed that they are favored all the way to the Sweet 16, even if they don’t improve substantially.

Wonder if committee would give UK a 4 seed in Louisville if record warranted a 4? As it stands now I would assume Purdue would be 1 seed in that region. They obviously wouldn't give us the 2.

• Haha
Reactions: blue woman
Wonder if committee would give UK a 4 seed in Louisville if record warranted a 4? As it stands now I would assume Purdue would be 1 seed in that region. They obviously wouldn't give us the 2.
I’d say we have a few teams to pass to get to Louisville, starting with Tennessee.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
This is what is really making this year really frustrating we could’ve played first couple rounds in Columbus Ohio then the regional in Louisville. We could’ve basically had home crowd games before making it to the final four in Houston!

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I took a deeper look at Purdue. Great rebounding team. Run good offense.

Solid defensively but not very disruptive defensively. Hold teams to low percentages but don’t really block shots or steal the ball.

Not a great shooting team as Blue Woman pointed out.

Basically, they are a decent team but the kind of team that is susceptible to a second round upset. If they keep winning, they should have a high enough seed that they are favored all the way to the Sweet 16, even if they don’t improve substantially.
This held up pretty well, except it was 1st round upset instead.

Reactions: EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT