ADVERTISEMENT

Adolph Rupp is the reason

I think what the OP is saying that if Rupp hadn't done all he did and laid the foundation for UK basketball we wouldn't be the powerhouse we are today and wouldn't attract other top coaches like Cal to consider coming here. I can't argue with that and don't see a need for other to be snarky to the OP. New news? No, but the OP has a right to post it on here in support of Coach Rupp. If you dislike Rupp, ignore his post and move on, no need to be negative towards the OP.

I think what the OP is saying that if Rupp hadn't done all he did and laid the foundation for UK basketball we wouldn't be the powerhouse we are today and wouldn't attract other top coaches like Cal to consider coming here. I can't argue with that and don't see a need for other to be snarky to the OP. New news? No, but the OP has a right to post it on here in support of Coach Rupp. If you dislike Rupp, ignore his post and move on, no need to be negative towards the OP.
That is exactly what I meant and I appreciate your words

One could also argue that if Rupp hadn’t accomplished what he did, many of us wouldn’t be checking a Kentucky message board like this on a regular basis, especially during the off-season.

are you going to post this everytime someone is snarky or just when they are snarky to something you like? asking for a friend

Reactions: LmdCat
When I think of racist coaches, I think of Nolan Richardson and John Thompson.

giphy.gif

They wont change the name.
Sorry To All Them That Wish We Would.
Taint Happenin.
It would be almost like changing the name of the state of Kentucky.

Last edited:
are you going to post this everytime someone is snarky or just when they are snarky to something you like? asking for a friend

My post had nothing to do with liking or disliking the original post. If you maybe reread what I said, slowly next time, you might sense that. Just tired of posters attacking one another, kinda like you.

As typical, lots of hyperbole on this board. Rupp Arena should stay Rupp Arena but Rupp isn't Kentucky Basketball. We owe as much credit to Joe B, Rick, Tubby, Cal and the administration as anyone. Rupp laid a foundation for excellence early in his time here...but past success doesn't guarantee future prosperity.

Pitino also resurrected UK BBall as we know it today. The same people that go to their knees for Rupp give no credit to Pitino.

Unpopular opinion I am sure...but we could easily be IU Basketball if it weren't for guys like Pitino and Cal specifically.

Reactions: ruppcat
As typical, lots of hyperbole on this board. Rupp Arena should stay Rupp Arena but Rupp isn't Kentucky Basketball. We owe as much credit to Joe B, Rick, Tubby, Cal and the administration as anyone. Rupp laid a foundation for excellence early in his time here...but past success doesn't guarantee future prosperity.

Pitino also resurrected UK BBall as we know it today. The same people that go to their knees for Rupp give no credit to Pitino.

Unpopular opinion I am sure...but we could easily be IU Basketball if it weren't for guys like Pitino and Cal specifically.
Without the success Rupp had UK basketball would not be what it is today. Because of Rupp the fans got behind the UK basketball program like no other in history. Success breads success and ever since Rupp the UK fan base has demanded success. Hall Tubby Pitino and Cal wanted to coach here because of the success and the fan base. Those coaches could have gone anywhere but they came here because they wanted to be part of what Rupp started. All of the coaches contributed but Rupp is the reason UK is UK.

How old are you? I see that somehow you managed to smear Rupp and idolize Cal. Rupp built this program, Hall did a great job maintains it, Sutton wasn’t here long enough to make an impact other than the Emory thing, which hit us hammered, Pitino pulled us out out of the ditch and got us back on the right path, Tubby did a pretty good job of maintaining till he stopped recruiting, Billy G was a disaster, Cal brought us back on track, but has done nothing more than Hall or Tubby. Cal is a great recruiter and salesman, but average coach who does the least with great talent since Dean Smith.

So, you need to enlighten yourself on Rupps contribution to UK basketball. Go back on time and take away everything Rupp did here, and we are an average college program.

On another note. Most older fans like myself grew up with Rupp, and I will throw in Cawood Ledford on the radio that made most fans loyal and dedicated fans. UK basketball is not Calipari.

Cal has done an excellent job of maintaining our high level of expectations and results. But he is not Rupp, nor better than Rupp. Rupp built this program. End of story.

You could argue that Rupp was racist.....You could argue that he wasn't.

He won many championships, that is what we should remember him for. And he did it with a strategy that worked for the team. I read an article in the louisville newspaper, made front page about Rupp this morning....it was kinda a hit piece. Not saying Rupp is perfect but he tried to tow the line during a time that was extremely difficult as far as racism goes...I think he wanted the best athletes, including other races...but what makes him look bad from a distance is that he played one race most of the time. I think the times of his coaching made him look bad more than his mindset. He probably had a lot of pressure to act a certain way.

Reactions: bfawns
How old are you? I see that somehow you managed to smear Rupp and idolize Cal. Rupp built this program, Hall did a great job maintains it, Sutton wasn’t here long enough to make an impact other than the Emory thing, which hit us hammered, Pitino pulled us out out of the ditch and got us back on the right path, Tubby did a pretty good job of maintaining till he stopped recruiting, Billy G was a disaster, Cal brought us back on track, but has done nothing more than Hall or Tubby. Cal is a great recruiter and salesman, but average coach who does the least with great talent since Dean Smith.

So, you need to enlighten yourself on Rupps contribution to UK basketball. Go back on time and take away everything Rupp did here, and we are an average college program.

On another note. Most older fans like myself grew up with Rupp, and I will throw in Cawood Ledford on the radio that made most fans loyal and dedicated fans. UK basketball is not Calipari.

Cal has done an excellent job of maintaining our high level of expectations and results. But he is not Rupp, nor better than Rupp. Rupp built this program. End of story.

Smear Rupp? Not sure what you are reading buddy...

Without the success Rupp had UK basketball would not be what it is today. Because of Rupp the fans got behind the UK basketball program like no other in history. Success breads success and ever since Rupp the UK fan base has demanded success. Hall Tubby Pitino and Cal wanted to coach here because of the success and the fan base. Those coaches could have gone anywhere but they came here because they wanted to be part of what Rupp started. All of the coaches contributed but Rupp is the reason UK is UK.

Right, but some think Rupp IS the program...he is not. He made our program and built it up. Take UCLA for example. Wooden (cheating or not) built the UCLA program into a power.

What have they done since?

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Everytime you and I debate you bring up age. I know Rupp built our program and won titles early in his tenure. BTW I never insinuated Cal was better than Rupp. You are making things up. You favor the yesteryear of UK BBall and that is fine...I am not demeaning Rupp in anyway, shape or form...I just think no one man is our program and credit is due to some others that many just gloss over. Pitino and Cal specifically took over during major crisis.

Reactions: bfawns
Right, but some think Rupp IS the program...he is not. He made our program and built it up. Take UCLA for example. Wooden (cheating or not) built the UCLA program into a power.

What have they done since?
They did not maintain because of their fan base. Our fans are not complacent. They are involved and push coaches and the athletic department to maintain our basketball program at the highest level. Ask Tubby, Sutton or even Hall. There is eminse pressure to win here and the pressure comes from the fans. And our fans expect to have a winning program because of the success of one Adolf Rupp. Did Tubby ever have an elite eight team after he left here? Pitino and Calapari are both very successful coaches but neither was as successful at other schools as they were here. Fans expectations because of past success

Like everyone, Adolph Rupp was a product of his generation. His generation was taught differently and did some things differently, as is the case with each successive generation.

Things change. Cavemen learned to cook meat over fires. There was a time when humans burned, quartered, and guillotined one another over simple differences. Countries learned to build navies and negotiate treaties. The Magna Carta was huge step forward for human rights. Invention of the telephone, electric lightbulb, refrigeration, and penicillin changed societies. In 1969, a man walked on the moon. The indisputable point is that humans of each generation cannot possibly anticipate or live by developments that occur in following generations. Apply whatever moral judgments you wish, but each of us already looks oldfashioned to our children.

Rupp integrated UK basketball by signing Tom Payne and doing his best to make a star out of him. This required incredible courage from Payne, and generational conviction from Rupp. If anyone thinks Rupp wasn't visionary for his times, their judgment is being clouded by identity politics.

Rupp retired 48 years ago. 48 years ago, Pan Am was the world's dominant international airline, Spain was ruled by Francisco Franco, China was ruled by Chairman Mao Zedong, Hong Kong was a British protectorate, the tallest building in the world was the Empire State Building, I-64 did not run all the way from Louisville to Lexington, there was no Cochran Hill tunnel, UK football was played at Stoll Field, and there was no such thing as cell phones, commercial solar power, the World Trade Center, microwave ovens, satellite TV, or the internet. It was a different time.

This is our basketball board. Adolph Rupp was one of the best basketball coaches who ever lived. He was very generous with charities, admired by his peers, and his honesty has never been in question. He developed hundreds of high school kids into successful young men. He deserves every honor he earned here. He wouldn't fit in the 21st century, but none of us would fit in the 22nd century either. It's time to stop eating our own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT