ADVERTISEMENT

ACC teams to BIg 12

sobester

Freshman
Mar 21, 2012
Heard on relatively obscure podcast, so take it for what it’s worth.

Every AaCC team but Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA and Duke in discussions with B12.

True or not, am I wrong for being surprised Duke isn’t on the list?

$120 million buyout plus GOR rights (TV money) until 2026. Its not happening. There’s a reason FSU is still in the ACC after threatening to leave for years.

The good teams know they need to move to a good conference before they are eaten up, to bad the Big 12 is such a weak conference

It's pretty clear the BCS via SEC B10 super conferences are heading towards some sort of entity separate from the rest of NCAA.

Athletics at 30-40 schools have just evolved into something way beyond the original intention of NCAA and what they can manage.

We see it every year in all sports, especially football when the above-mentioned couple of dozen schools play the other schools.

It is silly to have Dayton and Alabama in the same D1 category. The athletes are not the same, the stadiums/facilities are not the same, fans are not the same. The cheerleaders are not the same.

Walmart is no longer a grocery store in Arkansas. Disney is no longer a cartoon. Google is no longer a start-up.

Until the ACC members figures out a way to leave and avoid the 120m buyout and loss of TV revenue for the next 12 seasons all this talk is just Saber rattling. If they had a way out 3-4 teams would be in SEC or BIG10. The bottom lin is no one outside of the ACC thinks much of them or their undefeated champion would be in the playoffs.

Reactions: csrupp
Until the ACC members figures out a way to leave and avoid the 120m buyout and loss of TV revenue for the next 12 seasons all this talk is just Saber rattling. If they had a way out 3-4 teams would be in SEC or BIG10. The bottom lin is no one outside of the ACC thinks much of them or their undefeated champion would be in the playoffs.
The way out is if enough teams agree to leave at once.

I don't have enough legal knowledge, but seems like someone would still be responsible for the buyouts. But and organization can sign a contract, where the exit cost is clearly stated, and each school signs their GOR away for 15 years I believe it was, can just say we quit and it goes away? If that were true it would already be done, the dissolving of the ACC has been discussed for awhile.

I don't have enough legal knowledge, but seems like someone would still be responsible for the buyouts. But and organization can sign a contract, where the exit cost is clearly stated, and each school signs their GOR away for 15 years I believe it was, can just say we quit and it goes away? If that were true it would already be done, the dissolving of the ACC has been discussed for awhile.
Legally yes. But as a practical matter experts say it would fall apart. I am a lawyer but that’s all over my head.

I think it is going to get done this offseason.

You could be right, but it will likely lead to a lengthy court battle because no one is just going to let billions of dollars walk away with a signed contract. Would any of the other conferences want to bring in teams who may be in a multi year court battle? But as I said earlier I don't know enough about contract law to know what will happen.

That is my understanding as well. If a majority of schools decide to leave, that would void the GOR, but I could be wrong. I think that in the summer that was not going to happen, because most ACC schools didn't have a landing spot. If the formentioned POD cast is true, then that solves the landing spot issue. I think it is only a matter of time before the ACC disolves and it will be long before 2030. The big name brands will end up in the SEC & BIG. This gives the other ACC schools a conference where they can make as much or more revenue than they are currently making.

I think if the Big12 guarantees a landing spot, they’ll all decide to dissolve the ACC. When Florida St went undefeated and won’t even be considered, your conference is dead in the water. Along with the small payouts, there are only two choices - die a slow long death, or bite the bullet now for however much it costs.

Reactions: ganner918
I think if the Big12 guarantees a landing spot, they’ll all decide to dissolve the ACC. When Florida St went undefeated and won’t even be considered, your conference is dead in the water. Along with the small payouts, there are only two choices - die a slow long death, or bite the bullet now for however much it costs.

That's the part.i am not understanding. The deal is for media rights to each school for the nextv13 years. If it were as simple as dissolving the conference and walking into a much better deal with zero obligations from the original it's pretty dumb it hasn't taken done already.

That's the part.i am not understanding. The deal is for media rights to each school for the nextv13 years. If it were as simple as dissolving the conference and walking into a much better deal with zero obligations from the original it's pretty dumb it hasn't taken done already.
The Grant of Right prevents any one school from leaving the others behind. FSU can't just bail for a better gig without paying out the nose. But if ALL the schools vote to dissolve the conference, the Grant of Rights is dissolved and they can all go their separate ways.

The Grant of Right prevents any one school from leaving the others behind. FSU can't just bail for a better gig without paying out the nose. But if ALL the schools vote to dissolve the conference, the Grant of Rights is dissolved and they can all go their separate ways.
How many less than ALL can vote to dissolve & the GORs still go away? I think that's the hanging question.

I believe dissolving the conference takes 3/4 of the teams.

There are a lot of teams that don’t have anywhere to go: Duke, GT, Wake, BC, Syracuse. I can’t imagine the Big12 would take more than a few. Then if you bring in Cal, Stanford, Smu they have no where to go too. Don’t know the contracts of the new Big 12 media deal to know if things increase if new teams join, but usually new teams are on reduced shares.

I believe dissolving the conference takes 3/4 of the teams.

There are a lot of teams that don’t have anywhere to go: Duke, GT, Wake, BC, Syracuse. I can’t imagine the Big12 would take more than a few. Then if you bring in Cal, Stanford, Smu they have no where to go too. Don’t know the contracts of the new Big 12 media deal to know if things increase if new teams join, but usually new teams are on reduced shares.

Dissolving the conference would dissolve the contract they have with ESPN where they signed their Grant of Right away until 2036. An organization can’t vote to dissolve itself to get out of a contract. They would pay ESPN out the ass for the next decade plus.

I figured a future home for UNC will be the SEC. I guess them and another will join us in 3 to 5 years

According to who are what? I can dissolve my marriage and my liabilities all disappear. But you could be correct, like are, but I just don't understand they can walk away from a multibillion liability over their heads.

According to who are what? I can dissolve my marriage and my liabilities all disappear. But you could be correct, like are, but I just don't understand they can walk away from a multibillion liability over their heads.
Because the liabilities we're talking about are to each other, and they can all mutually agree to absolve each other of them.

Dissolving the conference would dissolve the contract they have with ESPN where they signed their Grant of Right away until 2036. An organization can’t vote to dissolve itself to get out of a contract. They would pay ESPN out the ass for the next decade plus.
ESPN might be happy to get off the sinking ship.

They should sit tight. If the NCAA approves paying players directly, they are going to try and find a way to level the playing field. Whether that is some closed door, union deal with players across ALL D1 schools or whatever, I don't know. But the NCAA is about the lose its Golden Goose (Power 5 schools) if it can't find some way to both feed the monster AND have a little parity at least in a fictional sense.

The ACC could survive if the NCAA does. And if they don't, most of their schools would still get saved by whatever new model replaces it, just like Note Dame would.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT