ADVERTISEMENT

About the defense

There's work to be done. But when you score 96, you're going to have a lot of posessions.. which means the other team will have the same amount of chances to score.

Without Adou, our bigs still in their first few games, we pulled our foot off the gas. Held them to 70

We will get better.

It's the jumping at pump fakes that devestate my being

This and just getting blown by on hesitation dribbles 20 feet from the basket, which draws the help and then dude kicks for a wide open 3.

Our guards have got to learn how to stay in front of people. They just have to. Defend with your feet. Stay low. They get caught standing straight up sooo much.

It was mainly our lack of defensive rebounding. Defense itself was good

Illinois State missed a ton of shots so there were oodles of offensive rebound chances for them. The defensive rebound performance was bad, but not perhaps as bad as 24 offensive rebounds suggests.

We had been ok on the defensive glass up until that game. It’s not a reason to panic.

On the bright side, we held them to well below their average in 2 pointer FG%, an area where we’ve struggled defensively.

Our defense is not good. We have to score 85 against good teams or we lose. I think we will get better but if we don’t we are a sweet sixteen team. If we do get better on defense the sky is the limit.

The issue of whether or not UK becomes a good defensive team (or even a solid one) will decide our ultimate fate.

This team is so efficient offensively it’s insane. They play smart, share the ball, and take good shots much of the time. There will be a half court grinder in the Dance that will muck it up and cause us to struggle on offense. On that night, can this team stop the other team enough?

This team gets blocks and steals, which means potential is there to be a good defensive team. However, they fall for more head fakes than a 3rd grade church league team. Correct this and play with hands up… it could be the difference.

I love this team and its potential but will admit this could be the Achilles heel as well.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I trust we will get better on defense. Cal has always seemed like an excellent defensive coach to me. We’ve got to stop coming off the floor so often. We are getting a lot of blocks but giving up a lot of open shots as well. The rebounding is still my biggest concern. If you give a good team 24 extra possessions from offensive rebounds, they will tack on 20+ points.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It's the jumping at pump fakes that devestate my being
We fly out on threes at times, but sometimes that's by design. If a kid is a shooter and doesn't like to drive then you always jump at them trying to get them to put the ball on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT