ADVERTISEMENT

A sober reassessment of Kentucky's basketball season

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
When a season ends the way Kentucky's did, of course people are going to be outraged and shocked and angry. It is natural to say things aren't working and we need to tear it down and build it up out of the ashes -- get rid of the coach, get different types of players, start over.

The problem is, that's never going to be the fastest way to get back to competing for final fours and championships.

Certainly something went wrong in the last several weeks of the season -- not just the last game -- and it is important for those in charge -- all the way up to Mitch and above -- to figure out what that was and fix it.

But was this team really terribly flawed at its core and incapable of challenging for a championship?

The evidence says no. With 12 teams still alive, Kentucky played four of them: a 28-point win over North Carolina on a neutral court, an 18-point win over Kansas on their court, an eight-point loss to Duke in the first game of the season and a two-point loss while not at full strength against Arkansas on their home court just about three weeks ago.

Kentucky had a team that, at its best, and even not at its best, was capable of competing with, and in some cases dominating, the teams that have proven to be among the best in the country. The team was capable of going to the Final Four. Kentucky 2021-22 was not outclassed by the competition and hopelessly flawed.

There is no excuse that what the team was capable of didn't happen and all of us can hold Calipari and the players themselves accountable for that.

I'd like Calipari to give a full, honest account of what went on inside the locker room beginning with the period where TyTy and Wheeler were out with injuries right after blowing out Kansas.

Some possible answers: The Sharpe fiasco poisoned the locker room. Tyty, who especially seemed to really regress, was never back to full speed. There were internal rivalries over things like playing time or successes with NIL. One or more of the coaches didn't work out and that created factions on the bench.

We need Calipari to step up and answer some of these questions, even if it means admitting there were players who lost their focus. He doesn't have to throw anyone under the bus, but he needs to be honest in general about the emotional dynamics of the team, and without using it as an excuse to explain why the team wasn't at its physical peak.

And he needs to describe how he intends to make sure that type of decline doesn't happen again -- which includes the way players are conditioned to minimize frequent injuries.

After that, the clearest path to Kentucky getting back to the top is to rebuild what this team had as recently as six weeks ago. Calipari isn't going anywhere anyway, so rational fans should push for the kind of accountability I describe and then support the program.

Success in the NCAA tournament is about peaking at the right time. Kentucky has a track record under this coach of doing that. He needs to explain to us why that didn't happen this year. Then get to work to make sure it happens next year.

Lol. He’s not accountable to anyone anymore.

Look at how his children act on social media. They literally think Cal made Kentucky and we’re just all a bunch of stupid hicks because we don’t worship their father 24/7 when he falls on his face.

All Kentucky Basketball has become is a platform for the Calipari Brand. Which you know what? Cool as long as we’re getting something out of the deal like
Championships and upholding the history and tradition and you know not getting bitchslapped by a Bible college.

We need Calipari to step up and answer some of these questions, even if it means admitting there were players who lost their focus. He doesn't have to throw anyone under the bus, but he needs to be honest in general about the emotional dynamics of the team, and without using it as an excuse to explain why the team wasn't at its physical peak.

And he needs to describe how he intends to make sure that type of decline doesn't happen again -- which includes the way players are conditioned to minimize frequent injuries.

Success in the NCAA tournament is about peaking at the right time. Kentucky has a track record under this coach of doing that. He needs to explain to us why that didn't happen this year. Then get to work to make sure it happens next year.

Md, I'm curious: what would/will be your take if he doesn't do any of these things?

Cal wouldn't tell the AD any of that so us lowly fans have no chance. I like the post
but it is so far removed from Cal reality it can't be called a pipe dream.

Some of that if not all should happen but we all know it won't.

Tyty not fully recovered is possible but he was close to 100% and had some good games when he returned

Coaches figured out how to play Grady

Internal issues are possible but this team seemed to get along well for most of the season

Allen may have had his friends on the team react to Cal's treatment. Players may have grown tired of Sharpe sitting on the bench in his own little world or any number of other matters. Cal is paid a lot to deal with stuff and he didn't earn(not given) his money the last 1/4th of the season

When a season ends the way Kentucky's did, of course people are going to be outraged and shocked and angry. It is natural to say things aren't working and we need to tear it down and build it up out of the ashes -- get rid of the coach, get different types of players, start over.

The problem is, that's never going to be the fastest way to get back to competing for final fours and championships.

Certainly something went wrong in the last several weeks of the season -- not just the last game -- and it is important for those in charge -- all the way up to Mitch and above -- to figure out what that was and fix it.

But was this team really terribly flawed at its core and incapable of challenging for a championship?

The evidence says no. With 12 teams still alive, Kentucky played four of them: a 28-point win over North Carolina on a neutral court, an 18-point win over Kansas on their court, an eight-point loss to Duke in the first game of the season and a two-point loss while not at full strength against Arkansas on their home court just about three weeks ago.

Kentucky had a team that, at its best, and even not at its best, was capable of competing with, and in some cases dominating, the teams that have proven to be among the best in the country. The team was capable of going to the Final Four. Kentucky 2021-22 was not outclassed by the competition and hopelessly flawed.

There is no excuse that what the team was capable of didn't happen and all of us can hold Calipari and the players themselves accountable for that.

I'd like Calipari to give a full, honest account of what went on inside the locker room beginning with the period where TyTy and Wheeler were out with injuries right after blowing out Kansas.

Some possible answers: The Sharpe fiasco poisoned the locker room. Tyty, who especially seemed to really regress, was never back to full speed. There were internal rivalries over things like playing time or successes with NIL. One or more of the coaches didn't work out and that created factions on the bench.

After that, the clearest path to Kentucky getting back to the top is to rebuild what this team had as recently as six weeks ago. Calipari isn't going anywhere anyway, so rational fans should push for the kind of accountability I describe and then support the program.

Very well thought out post And I agree with You. Just do not expect many rational responses from the crowd on this board.

This is one of the reasons anyone casually a fan has finally soured on Cal is his rhetoric over the last several years. It probably was that way in the first 5 but we won so much who cares.

I understand not wanting to discuss injuries and things like that but instead of just saying off the wall crazy stuff like not wanting to take a players heart away or sharpe plans to play next season knowing neither are true is agitating.

there is no honesty or transparency when it comes to certain players while others are thrown under the bus. It’s a tired out philosophy when you are not winning big.

Good assessment I agree with most everything. Clearly the end of the season something happened, we were not playing as well as we were in early February and that’s a big problem

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Md, I'm curious: what would/will be your take if he doesn't do any of these things?
Thank you for asking.

I'd be very disappointed if, after the tournament is over and he's had a chance to fully reflect himself, Calipari doesn't sit down with a journalist the fanbase respects and give a complete, thorough review of what he thinks went wrong. And then, having done that, he makes the changes that he feels are necessary.

Let's say that never happens and nothing changes except the coming and going of players that happens every year -- as I say, I'd be disappointed and mad but I wouldn't lose sight of the goal: Kentucky getting back to the top as soon as possible.

If you believe, as I do, the Cats were probably the best team in the country in late January, early February then common sense tells you that a total wipe-out and rebuild is not the solution.

Very well thought out post And I agree with You. Just do not expect many rational responses from the crowd on this board.
This ^ is half true and half false. The OP is awesome. A very well thought out take of what’s going on. The reply about the responses is wrong. The ‘crowd on this board’ is mad as hell as they should be. But so far 99.9% of the replies are totally accurate. C3 is not going to answer any of these valid questions because he’s an arrogant ass of a coach that doesn’t like BBN and he thinks he’s above everyone on the planet. We’d all like to know how he would respond but he will NEVER do it.

Success is having a coach who understands how to get it done under pressure. It’s not always about having the most talent. It’s about knowing how to use it.
it is obvious that ccc has no idea how to use the players he has
he plays favorites & always has
that destroys team moral
he never changes to fit the players, he tries to make them fit him
his inability to design an offense to take advantage of those that were supposed to be shooters
his inability to make in game adjustments are glaring
injuries did hurt
his constant ranting & raving on the sideline, jerking some kids for a single mistake, while others
play on and on making the exact same mistakes

imo, things started going down hill when Sharpe arrived
all the talk was about him, will he play, will to go straight to the NBA
then everyone finds out the handlers are calling all of the shots
NO WAY ccc did not know this was going to happen regardless of his double talk
again, imo, he did this to enhance his recruiting reputation by signing a #1 rated player
BIG DEAL...........if he never plays, what good did it do other than let ccc pat himself on the back

Thank you for asking.

I'd be very disappointed if, after the tournament is over and he's had a chance to fully reflect himself, Calipari doesn't sit down with a journalist the fanbase respects and give a complete, thorough review of what he thinks went wrong. And then, having done that, he makes the changes that he feels are necessary.

Let's say that never happens and nothing changes except the coming and going of players that happens every year -- as I say, I'd be disappointed and mad but I wouldn't lose sight of the goal: Kentucky getting back to the top as soon as possible.

If you believe, as I do, the Cats were probably the best team in the country in late January, early February then common sense tells you that a total wipe-out and rebuild is not the solution.
come on, you know ccc is never going to admit he has faults or tell the truth about why this group
fell on it face when it counted the most

This ^ is half true and half false. The OP is awesome. A very well thought out take of what’s going on. The reply about the responses is wrong. The ‘crowd on this board’ is mad as hell as they should be. But so far 99.9% of the replies are totally accurate. C3 is not going to answer any of these valid questions because he’s an arrogant ass of a coach that doesn’t like BBN and he thinks he’s above everyone on the planet. We’d all like to know how he would respond but he will NEVER do it.
Yeah, that’s a rational response. Smh

Thank you for asking.

The thing is this, the previous season should have forced Cal to do all this. Instead he called it a nothingburger. That is where he's at. Not his fault.

Cal is not able to be completely honest about things. The Sharpe fiasco should prove that to everyone. It apparently doesn't yet if you expect him to do this. You still can't seem to grasp what is happening right in front of you. I don't think you and those likeminded as you to ever fully see what is happening.

Thank you for asking.

Great thread and take on this.

I agree with it all, but I also agree with most replies. Cal won't do it. It would gain him some of those leaning toward the hater side back and get those in the middle and still supporting him as coach to fully buy back in.

I think the Tyty injury was the biggest deal. I think he is still hurt and came back too soon. He was so instrumental with driving and hitting the pull up then dishing if they brought help when we were rolling. he never had that element fully again, and I believe he played hurt.

I also can't help but wonder if the Sharpe saga influenced them too. I know everyone hates on Cal for it, but no one was going to not recruit the #1 player and let him enroll early with a plan to play the following year. Sharpe probably won't uphold his end of this deal and that's on him and his handlers.

I know the loss was horrible and caused IMHO 90%+ by Cal. We lost the same way we have so many other times. No answer to zone, won't zone to stop backdoors and drives, playing wrong people, stall ball, etc... however, this was a good season. We we consistently one of the top 10 in the country and felt like the best two months back. Vegas has us with the second or third best odds to in it all (all three are out at the Sweet 16 by the way) so it's not like this was a dumpster fire like last season.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Thank you for asking.

I agree with you that some form of what you say should happen ,but there is only about a 10% chance it will. Cal will be here next year and probably a while after that. He will change very little if at all. The team went down hill late in the season we all saw that.

I liked this team they were fun to watch. If one considers the totality of Cal the coach over the past two years I think it is fair to say he did more things wrong than he did right. I would love to see him right the ship but at the same time I have near 0 faith that he will. As things stand right now next year's team will be worse than this year. Do you think Cal can fix things?

I agree with you that some form of what you say should happen ,but there is only about a 10% chance it will. Cal will be here next year and probably a while after that. He will change very little if at all. The team went down hill late in the season we all saw that.

I liked this team they were fun to watch. If one considers the totality of Cal the coach over the past two years I think it is fair to say he did more things wrong than he did right. I would love to see him right the ship but at the same time I have near 0 faith that he will. As things stand right now next year's team will be worse than this year. Do you think Cal can fix things?
Yes, thanks for asking. I base that on the radical changes after last year in the coaching staff, and the roster moves he made to bring in Oscar, Wheeler, TyTy, Grady and Fredrick.

Of course some will say “he did all that and lost in the first round to a 15 seed.” If that’s all a person can see then nothing will make them accept that success is possible.

But if you look at the totality and say that coming off a disastrous COVID year Calipari had built a team that six weeks ago was probably the best in the country, then certainly I believe he can retool and be in the mix for a FF as soon as next year.

Remember, this time last year no one knew UK would add Grady, Wheeler, TyTy or Fredrick or that Oscar was a budding POY.

The OP has been a Cal defender for quite some time and I was wondering when he was going to pop back in. I tend to remember a similar thread around the time the slide began with this team from the OP basically preparing for a March upset and how that wouldn’t mean anything. So here he is to cash in his chips

The bit I skimmed seemed to suggest we should keep doing what we’re going bc we had a decent regular season. I’ve been on the record saying I had no real qualms about the season ending without a FF if UK made the E8. But that didn’t happen. This team reminded me of the 19 squad. A lot of potential but injuries and Cal’s propensity to turn a team into a half court plodder late in the season doomed the 19 team similar to this year’s squad. That 19 squad just had more NBA talent on it so it was able to squeak by Houston and lose tk Auburn.

I know people hold out this glimmer that Cal is just going to magically find it again. I also know we aren’t going to have a repeat of the 20-21 season but I don’t see another FF in Cal’s future without basically constructing a roster of 4-5 NBA talented guys. He hasn’t done that in 5 years ‘17 sure had it but a bad whistle cost that squad. Still, we haven’t seen anything close to that since then. When a guy loses his fastball, he doesn’t magically find it. He learns to pitch better to last a few years. Cal did that post ‘15 but the best of his career is likely over. We now have a former Cy Young with an ERA nearing 5. Doesn’t mean he won’t still give us some good innings but we’ll never win a World Series on his back.

That’s Cal in a nutshell to me

He still doesn't coach. It's evident in the games. While team chemistry and some fallout around the Sharpe situation could have contributed, the fact is that he doesn't hold up his end of the deal as the coach by preparing the team for opponents and game play and making adjustments that set the TEAM up to succeed in games.

Just listen to what Arkansas coach said at game interview last night. He was talking about preparation specific to Gonzaga and what they worked on all week. When is the last time Cal ever said or DID anything resembling that?

Oscar saved Cal's ass this season until he couldn't. The talent on our team is vastly overrated. Outside of Oscar and Tyty and Sahvir's ability to distribute go look at the other top 20 schools and ask yourself this question..... Are the rest of UK's players starters or rotational pieces and in the case of Lance Ware- is he anything more than an end of the bench use his 5 fouls type of player. He has 0 offensive ability. None. At that end of the court you are playing down a man already.

OP is nuts. We have got to have more whining threads that make this place unreadable. I biggest hope is the mods shut this place down for 2 weeks. :) At a minimum merge the 75 duplicate threads. Same thing every day that will result in no change. Don't turn my post into a support or anti-support of coach or team. Just simply redundant behaviors.

OP is nuts. We have got to have more whining threads that make this place unreadable. I biggest hope is the mods shut this place down for 2 weeks. :) At a minimum merge the 75 duplicate threads. Same thing every day that will result in no change. Don't turn my post into a support or anti-support of coach or team. Just simply redundant behaviors.

No truer words.

I'm just waiting on the triggered people. :)

There was a thread on here for a couple of days and you should have seen how triggered they were by what TheDude73 was saying. It was so comical.

I mean there are legitimate issues right now, but when you say the same thing over and over and over, day after day after day, you are in fact, whining-a whiner. Hell, some of them, and there is a core group, will say the same damn thing 10-15 times in the same thread. It's what newborns would sound like if they could actually talk.

Of course some will say “he did all that and lost in the first round to a 15 seed.” If that’s all a person can see then nothing will make them accept that success is possible.
couldn't win SEC East, couldn't win SEC Regular Season, Couldn't win two games in the SEC tourney

yea, we had a good season with some fun wins, but the goal isn't to beat Kansas by 20 - the team as a whole, with the talent and effort he had, did not meet a single standard goal of Kentucky Basketball this season.

Success is possible, but my bigger concern is if Cal doesn't have the NPOY, a knock down 3 point shooter, a veteran PG and a roster of experienced role players and highly rated freshmen, then what is the season going to be like?

You think he'll have this quality of team consistently? Do you have faith he can do more with less?

I have a solution for you

go away for two weeks and pretend its shut down

The simplest assessment of the season in my mind: we had 3 good players and a handful of role players. By the end of the year I think we had 1 good player. I think Grady wore down after so much PT throughout the season and especially when Wheeler and TyTy were out where he ran point. I don’t think Washington was ever really the same after his injury.

Cal still should’ve coached us out of the first weekend.

The problem is roster construction and that is Cal’s main job.
Short, fat, can’t shoot PG
Bench average guard from Creighton
Role player from Rhode Island
Fat not overly skilled freshman 3/4 man
Athletic freak, unplayably skinny 4/5 freshman
Role playing backup big that has little skill
An overrated recruit tweener that has developed very minimally over 3 years

Those are 7 of the top 10 in the rotation at UK. The “gold standard”, the “needle”, “everyone’s super bowl”, etc. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Reactions: crawfords corner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT